custom VF designs

striderhiryu

Found this posted on AnimeSuki. I like them :)

__Showcase_____Macross_VF__s_by_CursedChimera.png

Looks great!

But they all look like variations on the same theme, especially the Gerwalk mode where the bottom 3 all look like the YF-19!

The XVF-24 looks to be a pretty straightforward recombination of the YF-19 and YF-21--- in Battroid mode the wings are clearly from the YF-19 even though in Gerwalk and Fighter they are from the YF-21.

I don't much care for the Phalanx, and I don't get the name of the Galland, but I like all of them. (Phalanx excluded)

well the X part implies exparamental, and is a running theme with these designs, and the SU and 37 parts are reference to the real life SU-37 that this is modeled after, and the VF part is for variable fighter.

as for the Galland part, I would assume it's a reference to WWII german fighter ace Adolf Galland,

that or its named after Antoine Galland who did the first European translation of Arabian knights. (I'm going with the first one)

We saw that transforming VF-32 before and tore into it for one particular detail most of all IIRC, the engine, saddly the design takes a serious hit because the engine in battroid mode is truncated down to a tiny size, I think DH and I eventually agreed that it was basically chopped down to little more then just the turbine and afterburner can since the compressor and combustor effectively don't exist in this design, they are much further forward.

Now that VF-36 is stunning, though the top view makes it look somewhat stumpy with abnormally long, narrow chord wings, other then that it is very nice, maybe a slight revision to lengthen or thin out the fuselage would be good.

Edited by Knight26

Holy $#!7, variable F-16!

Ok, so, I'ma say the only way that can work is VF-22 style. Engine can't be the legs. Unless it's 2 engines in a single, underslung housing (Rafale, Typhoon, Etc), but they'd have to be incredibly small... Single-Engine VF doesn't like to work. It'd take SK to figure that one out...

Anime, I know the whole VFX/XVF Part, I didn't get why it was called the Galland. Thanks for the speculation as to that, though.

Holy $#!7, variable F-16!

Ok, so, I'ma say the only way that can work is VF-22 style. Engine can't be the legs. Unless it's 2 engines in a single, underslung housing (Rafale, Typhoon, Etc), but they'd have to be incredibly small... Single-Engine VF doesn't like to work. It'd take SK to figure that one out...

Anime, I know the whole VFX/XVF Part, I didn't get why it was called the Galland. Thanks for the speculation as to that, though.

Ah, but here's the rub. Kawamori DID design a single engine variable fighter. Someone with the perfect memory book on hand (mine's packed away) would have to back me up, but he did a non-Macross design (I believe in line with the origin of the VF-9) that was essentially a single engined variable fighter highly influenced by the F-104 Starfighter. It was a neat design, but there wasn't any more in the book than a tiny picture of it in fighter and battroid mode IIRC.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

We saw that transforming VF-32 before and tore into it for one particular detail most of all IIRC, the engine, saddly the design takes a serious hit because the engine in battroid mode is truncated down to a tiny size, I think DH and I eventually agreed that it was basically chopped down to little more then just the turbine and afterburner can since the compressor and combustor effectively don't exist in this design, they are much further forward.

Now that VF-36 is stunning, though the top view makes it look somewhat stumpy with abnormally long, narrow chord wings, other then that it is very nice, maybe a slight revision to lengthen or thin out the fuselage would be good.

I think it would better if instead of having the legs end before the engine section starts, the legs should be bigger, run bellow the existing engine, the backpack engine would be smaller in diameter making length less of an issue (it would just be a small engine). you'd no longer have a true single engine valk, you'd actually have three small engines (backpack plus legs) in a tight cluster. you'd still get the interesting look of having a narrow fuselage though

It's not in Macross Perfect Memory and I can't see it in my SK Design Works book either. But ChrisG's MAHQ has a picture profile of the LV-7 Valorious Rapier "Excalibur" that is very reminiscent of the F-104 Starfighter.

it looks a lot like an F-104 but it's not single engine.

post-4286-1232595541_thumb.jpg

the red hilighted part is the actual exaust nozzle, and the green highlighted part is the foot.

Glad to help.

I think a single engine valkyrie could be designed to look good, but I don't think there's much to be gained by such a design. But just going with it for a second, the way the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II transforms, it could have easily been a single-engine design. Or even more interesting, a triple-engine design; if one were to stick an engine in the middle of the rear fuselage and change the legs to something like the more traditional style valkyrie legs (VF-1, YF-19, VF-25), it would look pretty damn impressive :)

I found this on the web. I looks to be called a YF-29.

yf29jg6.th.jpg

post-11066-1232707088_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the fighter form that Kissdum engage planet show that SK did mecha designs for. not sure because I never watched it (did anyone actually watch it?)

Glad to help.

I think a single engine valkyrie could be designed to look good, but I don't think there's much to be gained by such a design. But just going with it for a second, the way the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II transforms, it could have easily been a single-engine design. Or even more interesting, a triple-engine design; if one were to stick an engine in the middle of the rear fuselage and change the legs to something like the more traditional style valkyrie legs (VF-1, YF-19, VF-25), it would look pretty damn impressive :)

It would be nice just for the sheer novelty of it-- I'm always entranced when a new VF design comes out because I want to figure out how the transformation works!

Glad to help.

Well if you took the VF-25 and ditched the shield i am sure you could mount a third engine back there too.

Well if you took the VF-25 and ditched the shield i am sure you could mount a third engine back there too.

And the VF-1 has 5, count 'em 5 engines! :p

What's the big deal about odd-numbered amounts of engines?

Edit: PC Uploaded twice. Meesa muy, muy sorry! Meesa no be doin' it again. Nosa. :lol:

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

And the VF-1 has 5, count 'em 5 engines! :p

What's the big deal about odd-numbered amounts of engines?

Edit: PC Uploaded twice. Meesa muy, muy sorry! Meesa no be doin' it again. Nosa. :lol:

Actually those are only vernier rockets, not sure of the power source, maybe from the bypass off the main engines or perhaps liquid fuel, none-the-less are not main reaction turbine engines. VF-1 uses 2 FF2001 turbines.

Edit: forgot the bit about he bypass.

Edited by Macross GURU

Actually those are only vernier rockets, not sure of the power source, maybe from the bypass off the main engines or perhaps liquid fuel, none-the-less are not main reaction turbine engines. VF-1 uses 2 FF2001 turbines.

Edit: forgot the bit about he bypass.

... It was a joke.

If they're verniers, they're EHT (Extreme High Thrust), because the 3 of them are sufficiently powerful to lift it alone, apparently. None of the others are that powerful, and from what I've gathered, would require all the thrusters on the bottom of the jet to fire to lift it. (Lift describes vertical lifting capability in .98-1G of gravity)

I was just pointing out that everyone's talking about adding a third engine. Just stating that the Valkyrie has 5 of 'em, even if it's not conventionally 5. :)