custom VF designs

striderhiryu

I didn't realize how screwed up that fin was. How can this thing fly? :blink:

for the MR/D it flies the same way the RFV-25 flies.

I like the standard MR even better with the Massive counter-weight above the plane.

So I finally finished the line art. I made a few small changes though. Now I have to figure out where to take it from here. I'll probably work on a top/ bottom view next. I want to do various angle shots but I'm not that good yet.

Again I welcome suggestions and advice that would help me learn to draw better. Tracing an image on a computer is the easy part. Lol.

post-6501-1234344917_thumb.png

after significantly more build up than this thing deserves here it is.

VF-28 Guinevere

IMG-2.jpg

The VF-28 is the new main variable fighter of the 23rd large-scale super-long-distance colonization fleet, Macross Avalon. the Avalon fleet is a massive colonie of 14 million people living on three Island 1 size ships connected to a single battle class carrier. they also posses a massive research and production center where they are busy developing advanced military technology.

The VF-28 falls between the VF-25 and the VF-27 in terms of performance and is notable for having 6 main engines. the Engines are New Thermonuclear Pulse Turbines that are much lighter and thinner than conventional TNT's of equal output. the VF-28 also has a 360 degree holographic cockpit (standard controls though) and is armed with a new type of gunpod. the gunpod (which is energy based) has an extra long pointed barrel that combines with the Valks PPB so that it can be used as a type of lance. (sort of like the weapon on the Metal Siren but its also a gun)

by the way, I've been meaning to ask this: what do you guy's think of the use of melee weapons in macross. would it be to gundam for a valk to use a sword, and what about beam sabers?

and now for some stats.

VF-28 Guinevere

Technical Data:

Equipment type: Macross Avalon Fleet main variable fighter

Government: NUNG/Macross Avalon Fleet

Manufacturer: Avalon Forge Industries.

Introduction: 2056

Operational deployment: 2058

Accommodation: 1 pilot

Dimensions:

• Fighter: length 18.72

• Battroid: height 15.9 meters (includes head lasers).

Mass: 8.5 metric tones

Propulsion:

• 6 x 760 kN Avalon Forge Industries PF-1000/A thermonuclear pulse Turbine engines

Other Design Features: 3-mode variable transformation; wing-mounted engines; capable of attaining unassisted orbital velocity over an Earth-class planet; ISC (Inertia Store Converter): Shinsei Industry ISC/TO20; chaff/flare/smoke discharger system; 360 degree holographic cockpit display.

-Armament-

Guns:

• 2 x Mauler RÖV-217C coaxial 12.7mm beam guns (head mounted)

• 2 x Mauler RÖV-25 25mm beam machine guns (mounted left/right of intakes in Fighter/GERWALK mode, on rotating hip mounts in Battroid mode)

• 1 x GLU-1α PPB lance beam gunpod.

Bombs/Missiles:

• 4 x micro missile launcher tubes (mounted tip of wing nacelles)

Edited by anime52k8

Valks in melee combat? I think it's entirely plausible. With how tough VFs are supposed to be, I've always kinda wondered why they seemed to never close with the enemy and grapple...especially when it came to battlepods. though we do see a fair amount of hand to hand in plus and frontier. Hell, the VF-25 enven carries aoversized combat knife standard issue.

On the subject of beam sabers and the like... yeah, lets not. One of my favorite things about Valks is that they are, for the most part, grounded in reality. Introduce laser oriented close combat weapons and not only have you made it too Gundam, you've made it too unbelievable. I see nothing wrong with a Sword with a PPB field, provided it will fit on the plane.

Of course, these are Your designs. Half of the fun of such an endeavor is throwing beleivablity out the window.

for the MR/D it flies the same way the RFV-25 flies.

I like the standard MR even better with the Massive counter-weight above the plane.

That said, we never actually see the RVF-25 (Or the ELINT Seeker) in atmospheric flight. Ever.

I'd assume the amount of drag it generates when rolling is pretty bad...

after significantly more build up than this thing deserves here it is.

VF-28 Guinevere

IMG-2.jpg

The VF-28 is the new main variable fighter of the 23rd large-scale super-long-distance colonization fleet, Macross Avalon. the Avalon fleet is a massive colonie of 14 million people living on three Island 1 size ships connected to a single battle class carrier. they also posses a massive research and production center where they are busy developing advanced military technology.

The VF-28 falls between the VF-25 and the VF-27 in terms of performance and is notable for having 6 main engines. the Engines are New Thermonuclear Pulse Turbines that are much lighter and thinner than conventional TNT's of equal output. the VF-28 also has a 360 degree holographic cockpit (standard controls though) and is armed with a new type of gunpod. the gunpod (which is energy based) has an extra long pointed barrel that combines with the Valks PPB so that it can be used as a type of lance. (sort of like the weapon on the Metal Siren but its also a gun)

by the way, I've been meaning to ask this: what do you guy's think of the use of melee weapons in macross. would it be to gundam for a valk to use a sword, and what about beam sabers?

... Wow...

So, MAXL replacement? :D

I can hear Vostok now: "Hey, is that MAXL? No... No it's not... Does that mean, since it's not Mylene, I can- MYLENE?! WHERE'D YOU GET THAT, YOUNG LADY!" :p

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

That said, we never actually see the RVF-25 (Or the ELINT Seeker) in atmospheric flight. Ever.

We do see the RVF in the first All That VF, so it just depends on if you take that as canon (and it seems that a fair amount of people here do) but it's up to you.

I'd assume the amount of drag it generates when rolling is pretty bad...

It looks to me to have an aerodynamic shape so I don't think that it would much worse than the drag that comes from the wings, granted that the ELINT fin will not generate any lift. And it might also help to balance out the weight from the radome on the top. Still with all the extras hanging off of the airframe it must take some roll rate and the like away.

Edited by hobbes221

Interesting design. Looks feminine. The shield looks like a 1 piece swimsuit. Lol. Has the FSS style feet ever been done with any of SK's design?

Thanks all for the positive comments, with this I was going for a feminine look but I wanted it to be so without being kind of forced like the MAXL custom. I wanted it to look like a woman while still being plausible as a regular combat valk design. the shield does look like some sort of swimsuit, but I based it off the MAXL customs shield so blame SK!

the Feet and legs are based heavily on Nobel Gundam, which recently (along with the rest of G gundam) has become one of my favorite gundam designs. (for the longest time I hated G Gundam, but now I love it.)

I'm actually working on some really Mortar-Headd style valks as well, which leads to the question on swards. I want to do Valks that look like Knights that turn into jets (they're bad guys, if SK can get away with what he did with the Varauta, I can do that for my bad guys). But they have big ass melee weapons since they look like knights, cause thats just something I've wanted to do for a while.

I ask about beam sabers because I'm looking for a way to retrofit a bigger blade weapon onto a valk so that it can counter the swards the bad guy uses.

just a handle makes it easier to store on a valk not designed to carry a sword.

We do see the RVF in the first All That VF, so it just depends on if you take that as canon (and it seems that a fair amount of people here do) but it's up to you.

It looks to me to have an aerodynamic shape so I don't think that it would much worse than the drag that comes from the wings, granted that the ELINT fin will not generate any lift. And it might also help to balance out the weight from the radome on the top. Still with all the extras hanging off of the airframe it must take some roll rate and the like away.

You could always retract the fin when wilder maneuvers are required. The additional stability probably helps the pilot when typing in commands for the Ghosts--- you wouldn't want to type in the wrong command and shoot yourself, right? ^_^

Thanks all for the positive comments, with this I was going for a feminine look but I wanted it to be so without being kind of forced like the MAXL custom. I wanted it to look like a woman while still being plausible as a regular combat valk design. the shield does look like some sort of swimsuit, but I based it off the MAXL customs shield so blame SK!

the Feet and legs are based heavily on Nobel Gundam, which recently (along with the rest of G gundam) has become one of my favorite gundam designs. (for the longest time I hated G Gundam, but now I love it.)

I'm actually working on some really Mortar-Headd style valks as well, which leads to the question on swards. I want to do Valks that look like Knights that turn into jets (they're bad guys, if SK can get away with what he did with the Varauta, I can do that for my bad guys). But they have big ass melee weapons since they look like knights, cause thats just something I've wanted to do for a while.

I ask about beam sabers because I'm looking for a way to retrofit a bigger blade weapon onto a valk so that it can counter the swards the bad guy uses.

just a handle makes it easier to store on a valk not designed to carry a sword.

I've always like the idea of a knight valk. I want to see something like this turned into a valk. With my 29 I'm thinking of adding a little bit of FSS style to it.

01.jpg

You could always retract the fin when wilder maneuvers are required. The additional stability probably helps the pilot when typing in commands for the Ghosts--- you wouldn't want to type in the wrong command and shoot yourself, right? ^_^

Actually the fin is for detecting enemy Radar and Electronic support...

If you retract it, you remove any advantage the plane provides in combat. At the basest level, it's a scout, albeit a combat-capable one in space.

On that note, I remembered the ADF-01 from Ace Combat has a fin like that, though with maneuverability as its purpose. How so, I don't know. It would stand to reason that air resistance on the fin during rolls would make it HARDER to roll.

The wings are necessary to flight. The fin isn't. That's my point.

Moving on, the Guinevere's legs remind me too much of the 21/22. I never liked the scrawny legs, much. However, given that it's a "feminine" design, it makes sense.

Anime, you continue to impress. :)

If you retract it, you remove any advantage the plane provides in combat. At the basest level, it's a scout, albeit a combat-capable one in space.

On that note, I remembered the ADF-01 from Ace Combat has a fin like that, though with maneuverability as its purpose. How so, I don't know. It would stand to reason that air resistance on the fin during rolls would make it HARDER to roll.

The wings are necessary to flight. The fin isn't. That's my point.

Moving on, the Guinevere's legs remind me too much of the 21/22. I never liked the scrawny legs, much. However, given that it's a "feminine" design, it makes sense.

Anime, you continue to impress. :)

thank you, and as for the ADF-01 from ace combat...

well the ADF-01F had a much smaller fin, and it improved maneuverability being awesome looking.

I'm still torn on how I could possibly fit a sword on my VF-400 and make it work... :( (if it's a beam saber I could just tuck it into the shoulder no problem, but I dont want to go that rout, I have no idea where to stick a full size metal sword though)

Edited by anime52k8

thank you, and as for the ADF-01 from ace combat...

well the ADF-01F had a much smaller fin, and it improved maneuverability being awesome looking.

I'm still torn on how I could possibly fit a sword on my VF-400 and make it work... :( (if it's a beam saber I could just tuck it into the shoulder no problem, but I dont want to go that rout, I have no idea where to stick a full size metal sword though)

Explain it like this:

It uses an experimental Omni-Directional Barrier system with a blade emitted from a combat knife (Which can be reinforced with the built-in PPB) that can cut through many objects with ease.

I dunno... It makes a beam sword work in Macross, no?

You're missing the point. We all know what the fin is for. The discussion in question is what other benefits/characteristics the fin has (stability) and whether it can reduce that additional stability when threatened.

Explain it like this:

It uses an experimental Omni-Directional Barrier system with a blade emitted from a combat knife (Which can be reinforced with the built-in PPB) that can cut through many objects with ease.

I dunno... It makes a beam sword work in Macross, no?

You did design the gun pod to mount on the engine nacelle so why not design a aerodynamic pod/sheath for it?

oddly enough both of these thoughts crossed my mind. I was either thinking PPB contained plasma jet (inspired by the energy sword from halo)

I think I'm leaning towards the leg mounted sheath since it takes the least amount of explaining to do. ^_^

You're missing the point. We all know what the fin is for. The discussion in question is what other benefits/characteristics the fin has (stability) and whether it can reduce that additional stability when threatened.

I was responding to the comment about it possibly being for added stability. Its primary purpose is not stability, rather ELINT.

Perhaps a secondary purpose could be stability in atmospheric combat, but it would hinder maneuverability in doing so.

oddly enough both of these thoughts crossed my mind. I was either thinking PPB contained plasma jet (inspired by the energy sword from halo)

I think I'm leaning towards the leg mounted sheath since it takes the least amount of explaining to do. ^_^

"...Sword in hand and *Csh* you're mine!..."

Plasma Sword inspired that? What of Gundam and Star Wars, both of which use the same system and predate Halo by 20 years? :p

Then again, Halo's is the easiest to find the explanation for.

It's your plane, Anime. Go for whatever you wanna go for.

I was responding to the comment about it possibly being for added stability. Its primary purpose is not stability, rather ELINT.

Perhaps a secondary purpose could be stability in atmospheric combat, but it would hinder maneuverability in doing so.

"...Sword in hand and *Csh* you're mine!..."

Plasma Sword inspired that? What of Gundam and Star Wars, both of which use the same system and predate Halo by 20 years? :p

Then again, Halo's is the easiest to find the explanation for.

It's your plane, Anime. Go for whatever you wanna go for.

because halo is the only one of the three where I've ever actually read the explanation as to how it worked.

Anime52k8

You could also look at the design for 'Out of The Front' automatic knives. Instead of pivoting around a point like most other folding blades they come out like a piston. Depending on how long you make the handle/hilt it could help to cut down on the total length when stored, it would not be able to hold the full blade, but should help a little.

Ha. I just checked this thread, and had to go backwards to see the -28. So, I read all this stuff about the shield looking like a swimsuit, and the valk looking a bit feminine. And then I saw it. Yes, that valk looks effectively feminine without looking un-valkish. Awesome. And wow, the shield does look pretty much dead like a woman's torso. What's the deal with the belly button?

Either way, I think it's a cool design. I usually think high heels on robots are something we have to tolerate because they make the robot look feminine, but are otherwise ridiculous, but, for some reason, it didn't seem like much of a stretch on that model. More practical than some of the mecha from Godannar, that's for sure.

And wow, the shield does look pretty much dead like a woman's torso. What's the deal with the belly button?

thanks now I can see it to! :blink: the shape of the shield is basically the same as the MAXL's so take it up with SK. I didn't even realize that the little circle thing looked like a belly button at all until you mentioned it. I was just added a little circle to break up some of the blank space.