Thinking about working in Japan

Pat Payne

MODS: This topic may be too OT for the forum. If so, do with it as you will, I won't squwak.

Hey, everybody, I've been thinking about taking an English teaching job in Japan. I tried the JET Programme without success, and found the website for a company called the Nova Group. Anyone have any experience with this company (good, bad, or indifferent) or have any suggestions to someone who may wnat to look into English teaching in Japan?

Thanks.

Your answer "slaat nergens op".

To get to the point:

A: Japan is expensive, make sure you get enough money to rent an appartment etc...

B: You speak Japanese so well you can explain to them if they are having trouble with some words or grammar stuff..

C: Need someone close nearby to talk and share you day with.

D: You could consider the tourist brance as a tour guide.

Edited by Kin

I thought about doing this myself.

I'll only do it if it's through the JET program. I think they pay the most and give the best deal. You might be able get a good deal with a private organization but they may pay you lower than others and most importantly private organizations don't pay your air fare over there. Even with them assisting in moving over your still going to need a nice chunk of money to get yourself settled in. Paying your own airfare may hinder how much you can have in that chunk.

NOVA is the largest private eikawa (english school) in Japan, and I've known a few peopel who've worked there. All have told me it's a pretty miserable job. The NOVA curriculum isn't designed to teach english, it's designed to keep people coming back and giving them money. The company shuffles employees and students around fairly regularly so that students and teachers don't make any lasting relationships (platonic or otherwise).

Some people get hired for NOVA just to get the work visa and after a month or two quit. Others hang onto to the job because it pays decently well, but they don't enjoy it. I wouldn't worry too much about needing to learn Japanese for the job, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

II'd ask yourself why is it exactly that you want to teach english and why you want to live in Japan. Have you visited the country before? Before commiting to working there I'd recommend taking a vacation there first to get a feel for the country. It isn't all just manga and anime and there are lots of things that might wear on you or cause you to be miserable.

I'd recommend posting on some Foreigner-in-Japan specific forums, you'd get much better info than posting on an anime board and some first hand experiences. Try www.fartedgaijin.com or www.japantoday.com for starters.

Nova - Horrible Place to work! Everyone I know of that has worked there ended their contract before it ended.

Next in line is ECC - Just as bad. All they want is money blah blah blah.

JET Program is good....pays really well and can get you in the job market door.

I personally work for a private Kindergarten here in Japan (can't say for how long...stupid politics...).

What you need to do is get a copy of the English Version Japan Times. Tons of Jobs offered there.

Best thing to do if you have the money is to just come here on a tourist VISA. Find a job and go from there.

Basically all you need to work in Japan is:

4 year college degree in any field.

Passport - duh!

Patience - Lots an Lots of Patience!

English Teaching Jobs -

Average Starting Salary - 250,000 Yen a month before taxes(Roughly $2,500 a Month)

The place I work provides an Apartment as part of the contract - Yep Free Rent.

Average Rent in Osaka Area - $800.00 - $1500.00 a month plus utilities.

Personally I would recommend trying to work with kids. Adults are alway too confrontational and in the end act just like children.

Rob

Edited by Monkey-N

Average Starting Salary - 250,000 Yen a month before taxes(Roughly $2,500 a Month)

The place I work provides an Apartment as part of the contract - Yep Free Rent.

Average Rent in Osaka Area - $800.00 - $1500.00 a month plus utilities.

Answer a little question for me. If you are a US citizen working in another country, does the IRS expect you to pay taxes on income earned in the mentioned country, even though that country may be pulling out taxes of their own? Always wanted to know this.

Actually I don't know. But I don't think so. I haven't paid taxes since I have been here. And I have asked that very same question to others who have been here longer than me, and they havent paid taxes either. I tried looking it up once and there is not any information at all.

Rob

My friend Travis, who was an engineer where I work for a fair number of years, went to Japan to teach English as part of the JET program. Here's a link to his website:

http://www.travisheermann.com/

Since he hasn't updated his site since last July, I'm not sure if he's still there or if he's come back to Omaha. The last time I heard from him was a year ago.

He's got a lot of great pictures of all the places he has been to in Japan, so check out his site if you get the chance. :)

Actually I don't know. But I don't think so. I haven't paid taxes since I have been here. And I have asked that very same question to others who have been here longer than me, and they havent paid taxes either. I tried looking it up once and there is not any information at all.

Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks for your honesty. I work for the IRS and I'll be seeing you REAL SOON... although I may not be able to make the appointment if I all of the sudden become occupied with some new goodies from japan.....

SIKE! :D

Answer a little question for me. If you are a US citizen working in another country, does the IRS expect you to pay taxes on income earned in the mentioned country, even though that country may be pulling out taxes of their own? Always wanted to know this.

No, you don't have to pay US income tax while working overseas.

Actually the students here are pretty perverted....when you get up to Elementry Level. Nothing is off limits to them and they will ask you freaky questions. Like today I was teaching class. general Q & A for the older students. I had a girl, who is 10 years old, ask what type of Ero-Books I like. I always reply Ummm excuse me? Then unfortuately they try and elaborate...sometimes with drawn pictures..... :blink: Especially if I don't understand the slang they are using... It can be quite un-nerving at times, and they will definately catch you off guard.

So if you come here, just try and be prepared for anything...

Thanks for your honesty. I work for the IRS and I'll be seeing you REAL SOON... although I may not be able to make the appointment if I all of the sudden become occupied with some new goodies from japan.....

No problem! My full name is George Dinklemyer....Rob is just my pseudoname....and I actually live on the Galapagos Islands... I just pretend to live in Japan. :lol:

Rob ummmm I mean George.

Actually the students here are pretty perverted...

Hmm, you don't say...

After all, wasn't it you Rob (err George) who clued us all in as to the fingers up the arse thing that students like to do to teachers after the shock and awe of what Mao did to Shin in Macross Zero?

It might have been someone else, but I thought it was you who told us that was a commonplace thing.

Basically all you need to work in Japan is:

4 year college degree in any field.

Passport - duh!

Patience - Lots an Lots of Patience!

Yikes! Even I'm not edumacated enough to teach in Japan. Not that I had some dream of teaching there, but its still a bit of a let down to know I'm not "good enough." <_<

Best thing to do if you have the money is to just come here on a tourist VISA. Find a job and go from there.

Actually, from what I read about the Tokyo School for the Japanese Language

is that if you want to work there you need a Cultural Visa

Seems a tourist visa won't get you a working permit

Best thing to do if you have the money is to just come here on a tourist VISA.  Find a job and go from there.

Actually, from what I read about the Tokyo School for the Japanese Language

is that if you want to work there you need a Cultural Visa

Seems a tourist visa won't get you a working permit

Guessing Rob meant to go to Japan on a tourist visa, find your job and then get a working visa. Although a tourist visa only lasts 90 days (assuming youre from the US) and you'll have to exit and re-enter the country to get a working visa.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I think I'm going to stay away from Nova and groups liek that...and if I do get a job teaching...I'll wear cast-iron briefs :p

You don't have to pay US taxes ONLY if your annual foreigh earned income is less than US $80,000.

For more info, go to official IRS website:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html

Actually there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about this today. If you renounce your citizenship and you make over like $140,000 you still have to pay for the next 10 years, and if you don't they can bar you from the country until you do, on their terms (they can also not let you renounce if you are doing this as a tax dodge).

Back on topic, I've seen weird stuff done by foreigners in Japan and Japanese teachers here. These guys once I saw were trying to hit on women but mispronouncing pretty/good looking and wound up insulting them (and it was obvious).

And one of my Japanese professors (a Japanese national), is the only person I've ever met capable of scaring the entire class into showing up on time and knowing every little thing, even in advance of when we're supposed to know it (in contrast to the American professors, who never bothered with anything like vocab or stroke order).