The best $2.49 I've spent on a TF

Mr.Sci-Fi

unicronh.jpg

unicrond.jpg

I picked up an assortment of LEDs at radioshack for $2.49. As soon as I got home I got the sodering iron and soder out and the surgery begun. Within ten minutes the Dark God had recovered form his surgery and was ready to test his cool new color. I have to admit Green looks so much better, just not in his eyes but on his hand too.

For anyone wanting to do this, make sure when you go to radio shack that the LED assortment pack you buy has a small green LED for the eyes and a large led for the hand. You could have bought them seperately a year ago but radioshack seems to be selling assortment packs only now. I guess having all those individual small electronic parts was taking up too much space for a retail store.

If you get the appropriate LEDs they're just as bright. My friend tried adding two LEDs, one in each eye, and it didn't work as good, too much draw on the battries.

Unscrew some screws, remove the existing leds with the sodering iron and soder the new leds in. It's pretty simple to do, you just need to know how to soder.

If you haven't sodered anything before, just take a couple minutes getting using the sodering iron by test sodering some stuff. Sodering isn't hard. One tip though before connecting two items, soder them idividualy first then connect them and soder them together.

A simple sodering iron can be bought for under $10 at most hardware stores. Soder it self is a couple of bucks for a little spool.

I'm going to need to take uni''s head of again so I can paint the interrior to stop the light wash through his face. I'm surprised hasbro didn't do it in the first place since the toy suffers form it originally. I'll probably do this when I repaint his outside.

Nice, I might have to bust out the old soldering iron and give this a try. And since Unicron is everywhere now I don't have to be afraid of messing up and not being able to get another one. ;)

And since Unicron is everywhere now I don't have to be afraid of messing up and not being able to get another one. ;)

Really? :(

Everytime I end up at Wal Mart or Target they NEVER have any in stock. One of my coworkers was able to grab one, da sonofa even put two on layaway (for his friends). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll come across one this weekend.........maybe TRU is the best bet. B)

Really? :(

Everytime I end up at Wal Mart or Target they NEVER have any in stock. One of my coworkers was able to grab one, da sonofa even put two on layaway (for his friends). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll come across one this weekend.........maybe TRU is the best bet. B)

Yeah, they are all over at TRU and Wal mart in the San Fernando Valley In so cal :ph34r: . Tru has about 20 stacked in a end cap.

I'm going to need to take uni''s head of again so I can paint the interrior to stop the light wash through his face. I'm surprised hasbro didn't do it in the first place since the toy suffers form it originally. I'll probably do this when I repaint his outside.

Please let us know what color paint you are going to use for the inside of his head and how it looks after it's done. :)

Welcome to the MW Forums Mr. Sci-Fi. You did a great job.....looks like the eyes were meant to light up all along. Do you usually mod most of your transformers? B)

I just changed the color of the lights, both the fist and eyes already lit up. The original toy had red LEDs and I wanted a movie accurate green (atleast the green eyes are movie accurate, his hand didn;t illuminate in the movie.)

No I don't usually modify my TFs, unless there's something just wrong on them.

I'll probably paint the inside of the head black and then a coat of silver, maybe it will help reflect some light back out where it's suppose to be.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm really no stranger to macross world, I just took my time signing up on this new version of the board. My handle was "unicrons" on the old board.