The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

There was a thread about that new so-called Charger on the dsm board that I frequent. It seems it's not being well received anywhere. Bad move for Dodge.

And about Nissans. I actually think they're finally going in the right direction. I like the Z, one of my favorite "affordable" cars out at the moment. Stick in a Greddy twin turbo kit and it's good to go :p

I also think the new Maxima is the best looking one so far. I do agree that overall, most Nissans are kind of on the plain side, but most cars are unless a "sport" model or something comes out anyways.

Edited by bhop

Why on earth would they call that thing a Charger?

Anyone who would care about that name being on their car will see it for the pitifull marketing ploy that it is, and people who just want a slightly more pedestrian 300C won't care what the name is.

Jesus, why won't they let the great names rest in piece? Malibu, Impala, GTO, now Charger...I can't wait to see a Neon-based 'Cuda/Challenger.

If they bring back the T/A (the longest continually-extant muscle car package, if I remember correctly), it better fit the T/A legacy...otherwise don't revive the name.

I mean...never mind...I just can't believe someone thought calling that 300C-Magnum hybrid a Charger was a good idea.

Ahh, I do love the T/As...although I am partial to the early 2nd Gen myself (obviously).

yeah, I'm also partial to the 70.5 through 73s myself (no offence but I drool over blue 72's w/white stripe :p )...but they wern't produced in the volume that the later years were, and they are especialy rare around here...so "beggers can't be choosers" and I built the car seen above (IMHO 77 and 78 were the second best looking versions of the 2ed gen bird)...I pretty much stopped haveing an intrest in newer birds once Pontiac quit produceing motors for them (not that there is anything wrong with Chevy, to me Pontiac performance should be pontiac basied :p ) and I have no real intrest in 3rd + 4th gen cars ... I did have a 88 305cid 5-speed Formula for a while as a daily driver, not bad...just not the same....course if I win the lottery, I'd have a different 2ed gen car for every day of the week :lol:

Me, three. Although, I am more of a Camaro fan but it's all pretty much the same. I like the round taillights of the Camaro and the RS option looks awesome. I still own the 73 Camaro I bought when I was 18. It's nothing special right now, but someday...

With the success of the new retro Mustang and all the other retro designs out there, I still can't understand why GM cannot give us a good Camaro/Firebird. They had the drivetrain right, all they needed was a decent body design. They kept that wedge design way too long and didn't even try to keep it fresh like the Mustang.

Why on earth would they call that thing a Charger?

I'm still trying to figure out what is so "hemi" about the new hemi V-8s :rolleyes:

Me, three. Although, I am more of a Camaro fan but it's all pretty much the same. I like the round taillights of the Camaro and the RS option looks awesome. I still own the 73 Camaro I bought when I was 18. It's nothing special right now, but someday...

yeah, early 2ed gen (70.5-73) camaros are quite cool too...but to me Chevy seemed at a lost with what to do with thier F-body in the 74 through 81 model years....Z-28 was gone..then back...they are still cool cars, but to mee chevy seemed to loose focus (like ford did with the mustang II) and eventualy the 2ed gen Z-28 seemed to morph into a stylistic T/A copycat (yeah they are both F-bodies but they don't share all that much bodywork...doors are different, front quarter panals are different, hood, front and rear endcaps are different...but chevy still seemed to stick all the little 2ed gen T/A like bits on in all the same places)

Anyway there was a cool Chevy made in the 70's that seems to have all but dissapeared...might have been because of the IMSA influance of the times...but the 75-76 Chevy Monza was one of my favorite cars growing up...yeah it was basied on the Vega platform, but a factory equiped small block was available...and IMHO with some of the IMSA bodywork, a hot engine, these things are mucho cool :D

Call me crazy, but I kind of like the new Charger. I dig the Dodge front grill (BMW and Alfa Romeo are the only companies nowadays who hold on to thier grill, and they're better for it... makes for good brand distinction) and the overall look of the car is unique without being ugly (a la a Pontiac) or just plain bring (a la Japanese sedans).

Sure as hell wouldn't buy it, but I dig the look.

The stock Lancer Evo VIII MR FQ400 beat a Lamborghini Murcialago on the Top Gear test track and defeated a lot of V8's and V12's.

But it's also a ridiculously over-stressed car that requires valve maintenance every few thousand miles, no thanks. Technically impressive, but an absolute pain in the ass to own.

For the money I'd take a C6 Z06.

I'm still trying to figure out what is so "hemi" about the new hemi V-8s :rolleyes:

It's just a marketing tool. Maybe you know (since you used the rolleyes smiley) but Hemi pretty much means the combustion chamber is hemispherical in shape. Technically my Mitsubishi Eclipse's 4G63 engine is a Hemi, as well as many other "regular" cars, but the average Joe Shmoe that's looking for a muscle car hears the word Hemi and thinks muscle.

IT'S about time we had a near-permanent car thread here! (sorry for being late, I havent been here in about 6 months)

as for the new Hemi, it's actually a Poly-sphereical head, but the word "Poly" wouldn't sell as many cars as the Hemi would, hence the new motor is dubbed the "Hemi". In a few years we'll see Dodge make a real Hemi again.

as far as the new Charger goes, most-if-not all of the guys over at the Dodge Charger forums think it's crap with a Hemi stuffed in it. It's a Magnum Sedan, or a Not-a-charger. That's our stance on it

Just found this awesome Camaro concept someone came up with.  Hey GM, this is what I'm talking about.

Too many curves. If GM can straighten them out, they can build it.

Yep... Curves = expensive

I heard that Dodge has been doing really well.  Their Charger was well recieved.

Now who said that? All I see is a Chrysler 300C that got whacked with an ugly stick.

image_17.jpg

I think it looks as good as the concept, maybe even better.

Personally I never thought the orig. Charger was anything special.

just saw pics of the 2006 Eclipse and must say I like it. They messed up the last one so bad I'm glad they changed it.

course its waaay too jelly bean to be a real sports car, but they never have been anyways.

besides its FWD anyways.. so they just did a good job in the looks department, but the performance took a step back.

I don't know if this is heresy or not, but I think that is the best looking eclipse yet. Maybe it is the fender flares, or maybe just the front end (I like the tC as well), but I like it.

On another note. When I first saw the new Mustang prototype images, I was excited...I thought the Mustang was going to look mean again for the first time in 35 years. But on seeing them on the road...something doesn't add up. Maybe it is that they are all bone stock, I am comparing them to mental images of slightly modified 'stangs of the last gen, but they look...I dunno, cheap. Even the GT isn't intimidating. Maybe a lower suspension would change all of that, but for now, I am (suprisingly) unimpressed.

- And I don't say this as a Mustang hater. So far my muscle cars have only been GM, but that is more by coincidence than "brand loyalty." I DO hate it when people assume that their stock '67 289cid mustang is on any sort of level with my '70 T/A, but that is because I have distain for all the "secretary specials," and not a specifically anti-mustang feeling. But all that is for a different time...

In my opinion, '99 was the last great Eclipse. Perfect body, powerful (easy to tune) engine, AWD available. If I crash my '95, i'd probably buy a '99 GSX.

edit:.. where in the Mitsu booth at the L.A. show was the Eclipse? I didn't see it there, being a DSM'er, I don't think I could have missed it so easily.. maybe I went too early in the week or something?

Edited by bhop

I don't know if this is heresy or not, but I think that is the best looking eclipse yet.  Maybe it is the fender flares, or maybe just the front end (I like the tC as well), but I like it.

I don't think there's any heresy there, Eclipse's aren't exactly well known for being attractive. Or reliable. Or much fo anything, really, aside from the 1st gens being stupid easy to get cheap power out of.

Best thing about the DSM's is that their drive train went into the far superior Lancer.

EDIT:

RE: The New Charger

You guys hate on it for not being a "true" Charger (whatever that means), but the new Pontiac GTO is being lauded as an awesome car and it's a Holden Monaro coupe. Urk!? :blink:

Edited by yellowlightman

I don't think there's any heresy there, Eclipse's aren't exactly well known for being attractive. Or reliable. Or much fo anything, really, aside from the 1st gens being stupid easy to get cheap power out of.

Best thing about the DSM's is that their drive train went into the far superior Lancer.

EDIT:

RE: The New Charger

You guys hate on it for not being a "true" Charger (whatever that means), but the new Pontiac GTO is being lauded as an awesome car and it's a Holden Monaro coupe. Urk!?  :blink:

There are 45,000 members of DSM tuners that would disagree with you (including me) on most of that, except the reliability of DSM's. Being an owner, I know it's got problems, but it's so fun to drive..

2nd Gens are just as easy and cheap to get power out of, but actually look good. They both have the same engine, the 1st Gen just comes with a better turbo straight from the factory. I've seen many a video of turbo Eclipse's smoking V8's on the street and on tracks. I personally hung with a GT Mustang on the freeway a few years ago when my car was completely stock, and even pulled on him a little at first, till my crappy t25 turbo ran out of breath. I think he might've been stock too, but still.. the best thing about that was I was wearing my Superman costume. (halloween)

Charger

"True" or not, it's ugly. The Monaro/GTO at least looks halfway decent and only has 2 doors.

Edited by bhop

:lol: Yeah, I know its not a true "hemi"...marketing does love to do stuff like that...

Just like the great classic small block 350 Chevy is actualy 348cid not 350 :p

Its cool that the new eclipses are starting to look good again...but after the problems over the years at Diamond Star (the plant were they are made...and its only about 30 minutes away from here) dunno if the company could invest to make the cars live up to thier old potential anymore :(

With the success of the new retro Mustang and all the other retro designs out there, I still can't understand why GM cannot give us a good Camaro/Firebird. They had the drivetrain right, all they needed was a decent body design. They kept that wedge design way too long and didn't even try to keep it fresh like the Mustang.

Not that I'm much of a car guy, but I would like to chime in here.

My all-time top 2 fave cars are the 93-97 Camaro, and the Countach Quatrovalvole. I love wedges. With low front ends and very raked windshields. :)

(From Car and Driver magazine):
The Mother of all GT-Rs

Check out the limited edition Nissan Skyline GT-R Z-tune set to debut at the Tokyo Auto Salon on January 14.

BY PETER LYON

January 2005

If you thought the mighty Nissan R-34 GT-R was dead and buried, think again. Nissan’s racing arm Nismo has resurrected the phased-out Skyline for one last blast. Only this time, they’re not stopping at half measures.

Unveiled at the Tokyo Auto Salon this week, the 500hp GT-R Z-tune is not only the most powerful GT-R ever, but at $170,000, it’s also the most expensive. Why did they make it? Simple. To show what's possible. And when we hinted at any relation to the next generation GT-R due in 2007, Nismo staffers started sucking through their teeth and looking skywards. One thing is for sure. The 2007 GT-R's sticker price will be around half that of the Z-tune but pump out nearly as much power. Leaning heavily on 15 years of racing experience with the R-32, R-33 and R-34 GT-R’s, Nismo engineers have created the mother of all GT-R’s.

Looking like a GT-R on steroids, the Z-tune has been fitted with CFRP lightweight aeroparts including the front bumper, hood, front fenders Nismo increased the stock twin turbo 2.6 liter bore to 2.8 liters by employing the block from a 2001 GT500-spec GT-R race car, and then further refined and reinforced just about every component inside. It gets race-spec forged pistons, conrods and camshaft, a large titanium exhaust and two oil coolers as well as the heavy duty IHI turbos fitted to the class-winning GT-R in last year’s Nurburging 24-hour race. And with an upgraded ECU, that gives the Z-tune a respectable 500hp and 540Nm of torque with a strong focus on low end response. To handle those extra herbs, Nismo employed a special heat-resistant Super Coppermix Twin clutch that was developed to cope with power up to 600hp. Incorporating a fully reinforced chassis, this GT-R also gets SACHS 3-way adjustable dampers, once again from the GT500 car, and huge mono-block 6-piston Brembo calipers with 365mm race rotors. Now depending on where you wish to drive your Z-tune, you can either have it delivered wearing stock Potenza high performance road tires or semi slicks, which are both shod on 18-inch LM GT4 GT500 rims made by Rays. Inside a specially fitted 320km/h speedo and titanium gear knob hint at what the Z-tune is capable of on the track.

When you consider that Nismo are only making twenty Z-tunes, yep 20 only, you’d better get that cheque book out quick smart. Because they’re already taking orders. A Nismo staffer told us that one Brit and one American had already signed on the dotted line. Add freight from Japan and insurance, and you won't get much change from $200,000.

0106200515172730.jpg

0106200515173493.jpg

0106200515173730.jpg

0106200515174263.jpg

0106200515174554.jpg

......... I just found my next must-have.... (I wonder if they'd give me one for my low-vis?) :);)

On another note. When I first saw the new Mustang prototype images, I was excited...I thought the Mustang was going to look mean again for the first time in 35 years. But on seeing them on the road...something doesn't add up. Maybe it is that they are all bone stock, I am comparing them to mental images of slightly modified 'stangs of the last gen, but they look...I dunno, cheap. Even the GT isn't intimidating. Maybe a lower suspension would change all of that, but for now, I am (suprisingly) unimpressed.

The new 'stang's main problem is that it's rather under-wheeled. The arches are designed so 20-inchers can just slot straight into it, but this makes the stock 17s look small- particularly at the back end.

this seems compunder at the rear by the way it's a little jacked up.

also- differences between the concept and the street car- bigger healights make it look a bit "friendlier", the unscooped bonnet, etc add to this.

Overall, I do really like the finished car- it manages to convey the style of the '60s car without seeming like a retro pastiche (as in the thunderbird)- it still looks like a modern car.

Don;t get me started on the "charger", though. seems like an exercise in just digging up the name for the good of it. I can't seen any charger design cues in that car at all.

I saw that article about that Skyline.. damn that car is bad and will always be my fave.

and yeah- that new Mustang is crap. sooo cheap looking. and those spindly toothpick looking wheels some of them come with suck. waay too small.

the back end of the new stang sucks, just a giant round piece of plastic. and the frond end sucks too, I can't believe they couldn't do anything more creative than just giving it round headlights set behind a square piece of plexiglass.. so retarded.. :blink: no balls..

The new Z-Tune = Pure, unadulturated sex.

As far as the new Charger, at least it actually does to some extent live up to the namesake, being a V8, RWD vehicle. That's more than I can say for 3/4s of GM's ressurected namesakes :angry:

Vostok 7

Wow, you guys sure have different taste than I do. That Skyline looks like some riced out economy car. Lame ass.

I make fun of the 4 foot tall posers that drive rice cars like that. ironically the Skyline actually is fast. it makes no sense. Its like they went through extra effort to make it look like an 85 honda with "racing" :rolleyes: plastic.

That Skyline looks awful. It's as if it comes from the factory with the absolute worst aftermarket body kit pre-installed. All those creases, ribs and gills just look like ass.

Thank you, that was EXACTLY what I was trying to say.