ALIEN Quadrilogy box set details

bsu legato

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=2224

For folks who love featurettes, this looks like THE definitive ALIEN set. I'm also morbidly curious about the 140 min Alien 3 "Workprint" ....but not too curious. (I still say Gibson's script would have been a 10X better movie)

On a related topic, the official site for the ALIEN: Director's Cut is up. Not very much content, though.

http://www.alien.com/#

One thing though.... the directors cut raises a question..... how the heck was that Xenomorph a queen? <_<

Care to elaborate on this? I haven't watched the deleted scenes on my disc yet, so I really don't know what you're talkin bout (though, considering how much I love alien, you'd think I'd have watched them)...

Care to elaborate on this? I haven't watched the deleted scenes on my disc yet, so I really don't know what you're talkin bout (though, considering how much I love alien, you'd think I'd have watched them)...

There was a deleted sequence in Alien where Ripley finds Dallas and Brett, coccooned by the Alien. We don't see what it did to them, but they are slowly tranforming into facehugger eggs, thus bringing the Alien life cycle full circle. Ripley torches them both and runs away.

Since this scene was cut, Cameron decided to go a different route when he wrote Aliens, and created the Queen Alien. I don't think this scene's inclusion really hurts the series. After all, we're talking about friggen alien life forms. Perhaps a lone alien has the ablility to create a few eggs out of it's victims, in the effort to create a queen so that they can increase their population.

For those of you that've seen Alien 3. Does the film have the look and feel of a David Fincher film (i.e Se7en and Fight Club)? I remember back in the eighth grade (back in 92) when some of my friends (who were Aliens fans) trashed Alien 3. I finally got to check it out on FOX television two or three years ago. Jeez, what a horrible movie.

ALIENS > ALIEN: RESSURECTION > ALIEN > ALIEN 3

can somebody explain to me what exactly happens in the beginning of alien 3? I know what happens to ripley and surviving cast from aliens, but I'm just wondering what happened? I guess an alien got on board and trashed the place and left one inside ripley? I'm just wondering how that could've happened when they were on a ship that was floating in space. Did the alien queen somehow get back on board? That just puzzles me on how that happened. :huh:

:p:D:lol:

For those of you that've seen Alien 3. Does the film have the look and feel of a David Fincher film (i.e Se7en and Fight Club)?

Yes and no. There's glimmers of his style here and there, but the movie is overall so crappy that it never builds up to anything. That's why I'm curious to see the unedited workprint. Hopefully more of his talent comes through in that version.

The beginning of Alien 3 makes little sense, Bobe-Patt. There's never any explanation given for the origins of the facehugger and it's egg, other than the fact that it's there. Like the rest of the film, there was considerably more scripted for the opening sequence, but how much was actually filmed is anyone's guess. There's a few web sites out there that have nearly all of the edits and alternate scenes from the entire Alien saga....but I can't remember where they are right now.

Does it bother anyone that the crazy cyborg in Alien (forgot his name) is actually...... Bilbo Baggins!!!! :lol:

There was a deleted sequence in Alien where Ripley finds Dallas and Brett, coccooned by the Alien. We don't see what it did to them, but they are slowly tranforming into facehugger eggs, thus bringing the Alien life cycle full circle. Ripley torches them both and runs away.

Since this scene was cut, Cameron decided to go a different route when he wrote Aliens, and created the Queen Alien. I don't think this scene's inclusion really hurts the series. After all, we're talking about friggen alien life forms. Perhaps a lone alien has the ablility to create a few eggs out of it's victims, in the effort to create a queen so that they can increase their population

I don't know how much canon the comics are... but I remember hearing that any Xenomorph can be a Queen, not only ingesting the Royal Jelly, but becoming one when its needed. :unsure:

And are you sure they were being turned into facehugger eggs? It seemed to me that Dallas was hanged in a "let me get my face hugged" position we see a few CF colonists in Aliens. :blink:

And are you sure they were being turned into facehugger eggs? It seemed to me that Dallas was hanged in a "let me get my face hugged" position we see a few CF colonists in Aliens. :blink:

It's been quite a while since I read the novel or the original script, but that was the implication IIRC. The fantastic book Geiger's Alien has a great picture of the Brett-thing from that scene, which is clearly in the late stages of becomming an egg.

Yes and no. There's glimmers of his style here and there, but the movie is overall so crappy that it never builds up to anything. That's why I'm curious to see the unedited workprint. Hopefully more of his talent comes through in that version.

Supposedly there was a lot he wanted to put in or wanted to film, but the studio said no. It was his first studio movie and as such he didn't have much power, really. They told him what to do and how to do it, if he had full control over it I'm pretty sure it would have turned out quite different and for the better.

Supposedly there was a lot he wanted to put in or wanted to film, but the studio said no.

Yeah, I remember hearing that they shut down production in the end and chopped together the film.

Go here to see some of what we'll see in the Alien: Director's cut. How much will make it back into the film? Who knows?

http://www.planetavp.com/al/Alien/DeletedScenes/

It's been quite a while since I read the novel or the original script, but that was the implication IIRC. The fantastic book Geiger's Alien has a great picture of the Brett-thing from that scene, which is clearly in the late stages of becomming an egg.

That very weird. So an Alien can turn a human into an egg.... I wonder what sort of changes the human inside undergoes.... and if the face hugger actually retains some of the human original "mind". :huh:

I imagine it would be techno-babbled as some sort of retrovirus thing that basically takes the "ingrediants" inside a human and rearranges the soup into the egg, so the mind would never come into it.

Does it bother anyone that the crazy cyborg in Alien (forgot his name) is actually...... Bilbo Baggins!!!! :lol:

Hey, Ian Holm is a great actor. Long before he was even a hobbit.

I'm not so sure I should buy this set. How do I know 5 years or so from now there won't be another "special collector's set"?

As for Alien 3, I could only guess that the queen layed an egg or 2 on the ship before she went after Newt in Aliens. There could have been a small time gap there.

Not that I'm trying to justify Alien 3. It had it's moments, but overall was piss poor compared to it's predecessor.

Hey, Ian Holm is a great actor. Long before he was even a hobbit.

I'm not so sure I should buy this set. How do I know 5 years or so from now there won't be another "special collector's set"?

I know he is... but I was watching the movie a few days ago... and I noticed, and I found it to be kind of funny. :lol:

Don't worry... they won't. The 2 good Alien movies already have Directors Cut... and Alien 3 will get its own. There are enough extras in there to empty their "Alien bonus material" boxes.... I doubt Alien Ressurection will ever get a DC version. <_<

I doubt Alien Ressurection will ever get a DC version. <_<

Actually...it is. I don't know what material is getting reinserted, but I doubt any of it will make the movie not suck. <_<

Edit: I think we're mainly getting an alternate/extended ending. An ending which I'm sure will still suck and blow.

Edited by bsu legato

I doubt Alien Ressurection will ever get a DC version. <_<

Actually...it is. I don't know what material is getting reinserted, but I doubt any of it will make the movie not suck. <_<

Edit: I think we're mainly getting an alternate/extended ending. An ending which I'm sure will still suck and blow.

Or maybe an ending that will drop hints of a possible sequel. <_<

Nothing can spare Alien Resurrection from the horrible, stupid, and fugly mistake that was the Newborn. I could have forgiven the whole clone bit, but that pushed the border of crappiness a little too far.

Also: And how the #%#@ did Cole get to the door after being shot and falling in the water??!! :blink::angry:

Edited by Anubis

All those features are very very cool. However, I feel robbed of one (although it could still be added). That is, the isolated score for the first film. It lacks a CD release, and the older DVDs featured an ISO score. Here's hoping they add that!

PS: This should be available in a trilogy form which omits the fourth film. Just thought I'd drop my critisiscm of the film--excuse me, flick.

Don't get me wrong. Resurrection had some good points, Ripley was OK, the acidic blood and what not was kind of a neat addition, but the ugly white monstrosity at the end was not necessary.

The end monster kind of ruined it.

It is still better than Alien 3, though.

Edited by Anubis

Don't get me wrong. Resurrection had some good points, Ripley was OK, the acidic blood and what not was kind of a neat addition, but the ugly white monstrosity at the end was not necessary.

The end monster kind of ruined it.

It is still better than Alien 3, though.

Agreed.... thankfully... they didn't make it talk.... well sort of. :lol:

I kinda like Alien 3. Creepier than AR and Aliens.

I agree. While I resent the idiocy that was killing off Hicks and Newt, the rest of the movie is extremely enjoyable. Acting is certainly top notch, and returns to the style of the first. I think it was just a tad too bleak. There's a good film trying to break out in there. Maybe the new cut by Fincher will rectify some things.

I agree. While I resent the idiocy that was killing off Hicks and Newt, the rest of the movie is extremely enjoyable. Acting is certainly top notch, and returns to the style of the first. I think it was just a tad too bleak. There's a good film trying to break out in there. Maybe the new cut by Fincher will rectify some things.

I've read that originally Cameron was intending to do a sequel to ALIENS himself, and that he had a lot planned for Newt and Hicks. I guess for whatever reason he ended up now doing that sequel himself (T2 maybe?) and some stupid studio exec decided to kill off Newt and Hicks for no reason.

Ironic seeing as how in the first Alien 3 draft (by William Gibson) Ripley was in stasis for the entire movie because at the time she wasn't interested in doing a sequel.

Yep... simply because no one carried guns. I guess its more of a CF spirit the Aliens had in Aliens and AR. It kind of took away the whole "you can't kill it" spirit from the first Alien.

In both Alien and Alien 3.... they needed extreme measures to kill the alien.

Also:  And how the #%#@ did Cole get to the door after being shot and falling in the water??!!  :blink:  :angry:

Thats what I want to know!!! <_<

She is an android.... shooting her wouldn't do a thing. She probably didn't need air, the Aliens probably didn't want her.... she just went around and opened the door. She is an android after all... you know? Super strength... being able to open doors and all. ;)