what obsessions besides macross do u guys have?

kanata67

I have so many other hobbies right now Macross/anime is taking the back burner

Main main two have to do with off road.

I own 3 ATV's Polaris Xplorer 400 Yamaha 660R Raptor and a Honda fourtrax 250

Also a Chevy s-10 ZR2 I love mud :D

Also I play drums I enjoy asain films and music

and I'm going to try to setup my car for street racing.

My problem is that I like to try things out and have a little interest in everything. However, I do have some big interests like cars, mountain biking, computers, and video gaming. I also have an old Camaro that I am dieing to fix up. The problem is that I lack mechanical skills and tools to do a lot of the work myself and money is often a problem.

I have been mountain biking for over 10 years now and it gets pretty expensive. The kind of bikes I like to ride (lightweight, aggressive handling, full suspension) cost $2000 and up. Parts either break of wear out fairly quickly so there is always something to spend money on.

Computers and video gaming also suck the life out of my wallet from time to time. To play the latest games with all the eye candy, it seems like I always need to upgrade my computer. It's not as bad as it used to be but it still holds true. Right now, I am wondering if I will need a new video card to play doom3 or hl2. If the games are as good as the hype, I would hate to play them at low resolutions.

One of my new hobbies is 1/32 scale slot car racing. It is more of a European hobby but seems to be catching on in the Us. What got me into it was a huge race car track with two vintage trans-am race cars (69 camaro and 69 mustang). The track tacks up an entire room and the cars are super fast. There are a ton of other 1/32 race cars to choose from and almost all of them are based on real race cars. There are also cars of every racing type of all years. The cars are a little expensive ($30-$60 on average) because they have a lot of detail.

Something else that I am wanting to get into is home theater. I have done some research and know what I want to get. The hard part is coming up with an extra $2000 to pay for it.

Another money pit is my house. There is always something I want to do to fix it up or something that needs to be done.

Obsessions? Many:

-Anime

-Videogames

-Computer games

-models

-toys

-listening to ppl yap (an obsession that became so against my will)

-swimming

-saying no when my sisters ask for a favor ( :D )

and now... the bad ones:

-When I find a cool song I like... I tend to listen to it untill my ears bleed.

-I love comedy.... and sometimes I set a particular funny moment on loop for hours and laugh myself silly. :p

-I love just being there and rubbing a good "I told you so" on ppls faces when I get a chance.

And my favorite of them all.....

-Learning about new cultures and foreign languages. :)

Edited by Abombz!!

Obsessions? Many:

-Anime

-Videogames

-Computer games

-models

-toys

Same here

:lol::p <_< ^_^

and now... the bad ones:

-I love just being there and rubbing a good "I told you so" on ppls faces when I get a chance.

Hahaha, same here.

When I find an album I like, I listen to it non-stop until I get bored, then I do the same thing again with another album. Pretty soon I'll get back to that first album and listen to it non-stop again...

Vostok 7

well, before I spent so much money on all these new macross toys, I was buying spawn, marvel/DC figures, Star Wars, comic books, and anything that was hard to find like stuff that came packed one per case. At the same time I was doing that I was fixing up my old 92 civic hatchback. It was a kick @$$ car that everybody and even their moms would always try to race me. Unfortunately though, it got stolen at my school campus parking lot. I was just done winning an auction in the computer lab and walked out to see shattered glass on the floor where my car was. It was a tragedy for me. And to think I was going to get an alarm installed with a kill switch, and the alarm I was going to install was still new in the box in the trunk of my car!! ARRGGHHH!!! (sigh) I miss my car...... Anyway, about a couple months later, I bought a 2000 civic SI. I'm not even going to touch this car now. I am so through with wasting a couple thousand on parts to fix up a car. :( So now I'm focusing on macross and transformers now, but I can't help myself when all these non macross and transformer stuff come out like the new transformable escaflowne figure, SOC evangelion, MPC Alpha's, and stuff like that. Sheesh. I guess that's about the only obsessions that I have and used to have. :p:D:lol:

Besides Robotech / Macross...

Volleyball is probably my main hobby. I'm playing 3 nights a week now. I'd probably like a 4th but just can't spare the time right now. I do have a weekend tournament coming up in Vegas next weekend ;):D

Roller coasters. This is my most expensive hobby. Why? Travel. Have to get those unique ride in elsewhere in the world afterall! One of the main reasons I went to Japan last year was to ride some of their unique roller coasters and hit the two Disney parks (Disney Sea is phenomenal). I make sure to include coasters in any vacation I plan. Some of the vacations I've been on were mainly for roller coasters (and we hit some museums and such for the wife since she's an art major ;) ).

Electronics/computers. I'm a gadget junkie/whore. PC's, PDA's, digital cameras, laptops, mp3 hard drive players. I love 'em. Of course, I work in IT (Unix admin) so it's not a huge surprise. Eventually I want to get a little PC that I can use as a media player. MP3's, movies, streaming audio, etc. etc. Next year.

Transformers. Pretty easy one here.

Music. I play guitar and bass. Started on guitar but I'm playing bass more these days. More fun right now. I eventually want to get a bitter bass and amp then fix up my PC a bit so I can do some recording.

Rock climbing (though I've been lazy about it this year :( ) I'm gonna try and go next month a couple times. This month is shot, though :(

Hiking. I'd like to do more hiking, especially since the weather isn't 100+ every day now, since it's good excercise for the wife and I (since we really need it) and it's also good for the dogs.

Video games. Love 'em. I collect them as well. Not quite like my friend with 7 or 8 systems but I'll probably catch up to that eventually. I do have a Killer Instinct arcade at home, though ;) Which reminds me... I should consider getting a little PC to hook up for Mame. I do want a cabinet strictly for real arcade boards, though.

I probably wouldn't mind adding a few more as there are some other things I want to try (kayaking, martial arts, soccer) but I just don't have the time.

Edited by niomosy

Anime, science fiction, reading, and history, particuarly military history from World War I.I. I also enjoy video games but find I rarely have as much time to play them anymore as I would like. That may change with Half-Life 2 hopefully appearing shortly, and then PC Knights of the Old Republic around Christmas time...! B)

My work colleagues would also say that I am just a touch obsessed with Japanese bullet trains, but thats only because I work for the UK rail system and feel I am entitled to at least know what several hundred billions pounds-worth of investment can do for your daily train performance...! :rolleyes:

umm let's see....even though money is tight right now for me...

Fixing my 1969 Ford Falcon Futura (that was the luxury model for the Falcon back then)

It's going to be many things,

> a Drift car

> a Drag car

> a Road Race car

> a Daily Driver

> a neo-Moonshining car (dont worry, i wont be running drugs or 'Shine!)

this might all start if i get a big enough bonus for enlisting in the Air Force (i enlisted about a week and a half ago, i leave Feb 17th!) I should get the money (If any!) late October/early November. Yes, i realize it's gonna be a lot of work, but it definately will pay off in the end! The body will mostly remain stock, i'm only gonna add a prototype wing, the front bumper, hood, and Air Dam from the Australian GT/HO version of the falcon, and prototype oil coolers for the transmission oil and turbochargers' oil as well. (this way those pesky Civics and Camaro's wont know what hit them!)

Obsessions? Many:

-Anime

-Videogames

-Computer games

-models

-toys

-swimming

-saying no when my sisters ask for a favor ( :D )

and now... the bad ones:

-I love comedy.... and sometimes I set a particular funny moment on loop for hours and laugh myself silly. :p

And my favorite of them all.....

-Learning about new cultures and foreign languages. :)

you forgot to add smashing Vostok over the head for random posts on MW!

Okay, here we go;

Video Games (both current and old-school)

Anime (Getting into the feudal Japanese set titles more and more)

American,Eur.,HK and Jap. Action/Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror films

Toys (as in they were meant to be opened)

Collectibles (as in if my sons try to mess with them they won't live to see their next b-days :lol: )

Movie Posters and Collectibles (See Above)

There's too many things I like to do or follow up on besides Macross:

-Draw- I can do machinery very well but people is where I have problems. I just can't seem to keep them from looking awkward and natural-looking.

-Models- ... only military subjects will do. Cars and other civillian subjects are boorriiing. Modern AFVs and aircraft are on my list but WWII AFVs & aircraft are tops. Large scale German panzers is my current thing like this 1/15 Panther I'm gathering the courage to build...

-Video Games- For my computer I play alot of Combat Mission (both Beyond Overlord and Barbarossa To Berlin). I also play a mod'ed up Medieval Total War set in the rise of ancient Rome. Beating a vastly larger Gallic army with a smaller Roman army is great fun! I also have a PS2 and am playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII.

Outside of Macross, it's Mcfarlane Sports Pick's (NBA/NFL), Mcfarlane Spawn Figures, Mcfarlane Movie Maniacs, Video games, Sports Memorabilia (NFL, NBA), Transformers (G1 Reissues and anything else I see that I like), and the Hunting for the new Batman figures (Damn Batman Hush for bring my love of bat's back). Other than toys my other obsession is my Girlfriend/Future Wife who hates my toys but tolerates them. ;) Don't have enough dough to be a car nut, but the first chance I get I'll attempt to fix up our old 90 Lexus LS 400. <_

Edited by NSJ23

hello all. I was just wondering what other things people take to far. I know many have a few toys and others are obsessed to the point where they would dedicated display rooms if they could [i need a house on a side note :rolleyes: ]. I've seen some nice airsoft collections here, and I know jsarclight has a bitch'in camaro to took a bit of money and passion. What other stuff do you guys spend more time on than the average guy?

As for myself..., I work, plan on restoring my camaro which is nowhere near as nice as jsarclight's, fix broken toys, and have way to many fish tanks in a one bedroom apt. I also have six cats in the same apt, imagine my fun :blink: . Thankfully a few fish and turtles can take care of themselves. Here's a pic from my recent ebay 7" destroid auction... catfish not included :lol:

is that a clarias catfish you have there? Besides macross I also dabble in Transformers, Zoids and fishkeeping (have 3 seperate and active tanks). My main 2 fish i have is 1 Oscar and 1 Giant Gourami along with a host of plecos, tetras and synos

my obssessions include short haired women,lingerie,harlock,galaxy express,70's glam rock,ufos,alien creating man and civilization theory,starting campigans to have ayeka from tenchi killed,likewise for that little wench paiway from vandread,my two cats chloe and zoe,traveling,karoake,cult movies like man who fell to earth and city of the lost children,50's ufo movies,mourning johnny cash,pot smoking,parfet from vandread(she's cute as all hell boiiiyyyyyyy!!!!!1},merril from trigun,kei from dirty pair and so on.

Other than Macross, there are a few things I obsess over, to the point of spending lots of time and money. (My wife obviously is tops but that's as it should be.)

My #1 long-term obsession is board wargaming. I've also put a lot of time/energy/money into roleplaying games in the past. But I don't actually get to play any of these games very often; fortunately I also like so-called "German games" and I have a few friends I get together with from time to time for gaming sessions.

I also like computer games but I'm not currently into any at the moment. The last one I spent a lot of time on was

Oni. Before that, it was Marathon (and derivatives), Myth, and Hornet. Speaking of computers, I like to work and play with Macs. (I like to have as little to do with Windows as possible; unfortunately, due to my work, I still have to do some Windows stuff.)

I'm interested in foreign policy, and it's an occasional obsession.

I have an awesome pet rabbit (not cat, sorry to break the pattern). Someday I'll get him to pose as the stand-in for a 1/48 RC-4E next to my Yamato Valkyrie. He's just about the right size.

post-26-1064014082_thumb.jpg

One of my non-Anime passions is history. Right now, I am deeply engrossed in reading about the Norman Conquest of England in 1066, the development of Mythology in Europe, the French Revolution, and the development of alphabetic writing all over the world -- did you know that the alphabet we're reading right now is a direct descendant of Egyptian?

I also build models and write fiction. If I ever actually get a story finished, I'd be willing to let y'all take a look over it.

Actually, our alphebet comes from the Phoenicians (who were the only people in the world to independently create an almost purely phonetic writing system). Plus, the Egyptians developed their writing system (which was mostly pictographic and never did develop into an alphebet) from contact with the Sumerians who were the first to create a writing system.

I am a VERY big fan of collecting film soundtracks. And, this eclectic taste has forced me to buy CDs again :p . Lately, I've been trying to get some hard to find stuff by Jerry Goldsmith (Gremlins, Alien, etc.). All this roots to my passion for classical and jazz (since a lot of film scores really represent where we are musically as a culture today). Oh, and because most "professional" music is pathetic these days. :)

Edited by alexborn007

* I'm a big anime fan and I have a large collection of shows (used to actively trade fansub tapes back in the day). I also have a large collection of Di Gi Charat merchandise.

* I love to read. The last book I finished was Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond (excellent book, though a few minor bits I disagreed with). Currently I"m reading The Rediscovery of Man, which is the complete short fiction of Cordwainer Smith (my favorite author) in one volume.

* Role playing games. Not video games (which I get bored with too easily), but the real deal (that Dee-in-Dee stuff for those who aren't in the know). Talislanta is my favorite, and I'm starting to get into some Japanese games.

*Other stuff includes history, card games (pitch, hearts, spades, rummy, etc.), and lazing around and doing nothing.

My main passion: philosophy...

Of course, I can count anime at the top of my interests, followed closely by good ol' American muscle... I've also been accused of being a health nut, though I just scarfed down a WHOLE order of General Tso.. =D

...like history, mecha, musicals, mecha, engineering, mecha, and even the occasional pen and paper RPG, and mecha....

Yea and Zim rules, btw.

hello all. I was just wondering what other things people take to far. I know many have a few toys and others are obsessed to the point where they would dedicated display rooms if they could [i need a house on a side note :rolleyes: ]. I've seen some nice airsoft collections here, and I know jsarclight has a bitch'in camaro to took a bit of money and passion. What other stuff do you guys spend more time on than the average guy?

As for myself..., I work, plan on restoring my camaro which is nowhere near as nice as jsarclight's, fix broken toys, and have way to many fish tanks in a one bedroom apt. I also have six cats in the same apt, imagine my fun :blink: . Thankfully a few fish and turtles can take care of themselves. Here's a pic from my recent ebay 7" destroid auction... catfish not included :lol:

is that a clarias catfish you have there? Besides macross I also dabble in Transformers, Zoids and fishkeeping (have 3 seperate and active tanks). My main 2 fish i have is 1 Oscar and 1 Giant Gourami along with a host of plecos, tetras and synos

the big one is an albino channel cat. I believe they top out at around 30".

Host of plecos you say... Among the other tanks I have 6 whiptail cats, 1 upside down cat, and amazon marble, a lima shovel nose, a tiger lima shovel nose, a striped rapheal, 4 bumble bee cats, three walking cats, a huge rhino pleco, 2 huge common plecos, 2 other common plecos, a clown pleco, a bushynose pleco, three dojo loaches, two clown loaches, three golden algea eaters, and a few others I can't think of at the moment as the damn things are always hiding under a rock or something.

What can I say... I like muck dwellers as I don't like cleaning my tanks so fish that like scummy water seem the best idea. The walking catfish are the ones that will really be a problem as they get to near 90 pounds :blink: . Thank god they grow slow. In addition to the muck fish I have two feeder goldfish, called lucky and lucky, who grew large enough so the catfish can only suck on them :D as well as three turtles, 2 sunfish, a war mouth, and a large mouth bass. Yeah... I know that the state can fine me something awful for the bass, but I don't think anyone here is gonna tell them I have one :lol:

Yep... I have an obsessive personallity so whatever I get involved in usually gets taken to the extreme :lol:

All these people reading reminds me I need to send a box of books to france ;)

oh yeah... nice wabbit ewilen. I remember having a litter trained one as a kid. Cool pets if you raise them as pets rather than rodents :)

Edited by kanata67

oh yeah... nice wabbit ewilen. I remember having a litter trained one as a kid. Cool pets if you raise them as pets rather than rodents :)

Yeah Bunny's are cool. And Smarter than I excepted. They are cool pets.

umm let's see....even though money is tight right now for me...

Fixing my 1969 Ford Falcon Futura (that was the luxury model for the Falcon back then)

It's going to be many things,

Wasn't the Falcon the car used in the Road Warrior/Mad Max movies?

i believe it was, but they used a '73-'74 model for that movie, the body style totally changed from the '69 models, the '73 is the same body style as the '70. but for that movie they used a custom nose and rear spoiler for the car Max used.

During the last two months of summer I became a Theme Park nut! It's almost like a Macross obession i.e a roller coaster is the closest thing to flying. This summer alone I went on an ultimate park field trip

Here's my list of themeparks and the coasters I conquered their.

Six Flags, Marine World

-Roar

-Zonga

-Boomerang

-Medusa

-Kong

-V2

Six Flags, Magic Mountain

This was my very first visit plus I got their pretty late, like at 5pm on thursday and didn't have a chance to ride all of the extreme rides (X, Viper, Deja Vu was closed, Riddler's Revenge, Flashback, Colosus and the new Scream).

-Goliath

-Revolution

-Ninja

-Psyclone

-Superman, The Escape

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

-Giant Dipper

-Fireball

Paramount's Great America

-Stealth

-Demon

-Psycho Mouse (A ride I'm truly scared of!)

-Top Gun

-Grizzly

-Vortex

-Drop Zone

I'd like to be part of ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts) someday if I had the time off. But this is was close enough.

I'm ready for next year!

~G25

Edited by gerwalk25