what obsessions besides macross do u guys have?

kanata67

hello all. I was just wondering what other things people take to far. I know many have a few toys and others are obsessed to the point where they would dedicated display rooms if they could [i need a house on a side note :rolleyes: ]. I've seen some nice airsoft collections here, and I know jsarclight has a bitch'in camaro to took a bit of money and passion. What other stuff do you guys spend more time on than the average guy?

As for myself..., I work, plan on restoring my camaro which is nowhere near as nice as jsarclight's, fix broken toys, and have way to many fish tanks in a one bedroom apt. I also have six cats in the same apt, imagine my fun :blink: . Thankfully a few fish and turtles can take care of themselves. Here's a pic from my recent ebay 7" destroid auction... catfish not included :lol:

I'm a travel, college, and Gundam guy. Between Macross, Gundam, and travel, there seems to be little money left over for college. Although that's what parents are good for. And travel discounts. And for money. Although they don't mix well. My favorite question was "Who took the flight to Japan while school was in session?" (it was the 6 days I had free between the end of classes and finals, and that was coming from my parents). Although that crappy job giving tours on campus (now if I could only get a computing site job) helps when it comes to travel.

I have waaaaay too many expensive hobbies, the most notable are my cars (1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 Split Bumper fully restored and a 2000 Honda Prelude). I'm also an avid gun nut with two preban AR15s, a WWII 1911A1, a Glock 21 and I'm getting ready to buy a Glock 27 and possibly a Springfield Armory M-1. There are tons of other things I blow money on from books to DVDs to my home computer (which I just totally upgraded into space)... in all actuality on a cash total spent basis Macross is one of my cheaper hobbies.

Of course my fiancee is trying her best to remove all those programs from my system on a regular basis...

One of my non-Anime passions is history. Right now, I am deeply engrossed in reading about the Norman Conquest of England in 1066, the development of Mythology in Europe, the French Revolution, and the development of alphabetic writing all over the world -- did you know that the alphabet we're reading right now is a direct descendant of Egyptian?

I also build models and write fiction. If I ever actually get a story finished, I'd be willing to let y'all take a look over it.

Sweet ride wrylac. :D My friend Jon has a 2.5 RS too.

I have Outback Sport. Driving that in the rain is the most fun you can have in a car with your pants on.

One of my more expensive hobbies is my '64 Malibu SS. I dropped a '82 Suburban 350 and a Muncie 4 speed in it. I came with a 4.11 posi which makes up for the torque minded build-up of the truck V8.

I also play bass and collect music. I'm more of a vinyl than MP3 guy ;) . I like pretty much any type of music, but most of my collection is soul, country/rockabilly, punk, and reggae.

And of course, there are the pre-requisites (women, booze, movies, Simpsons) :lol:

Let's see beside Macross:

- Ferrets

- Gundam PG Models

- Medieival Weapons and armor - several swords, various daggers, three headed horseman's flail, war hammer, bardiche,

war spear, fighting targe, brigidine vest, bracers just to name a few things

- Books of all types

Macross is one of my cheaper hobbies. The medieval weapons are a far more expensive hobby

Macross is my main passion. I'm also into lot's of other stuff, but not to anywhere like the same degree of seriousness.

I also used to be heavily into IPSC shooting and used to own a Glock 21, Glock 17, S&W 745, S&W 629 and a Remington 870. However, the high expense of shooting in HK, not to mention the restrictive gun laws here meant I had to give that up. May get back into it later tho.

Also into martial arts. Used to study Wing Chun, but have decided to switch to Kali (first lesson tonight), wish me luck.

I also like cats and have 4 at the moment. Seems like lots of MW members like cats. Wonder if there is a connection between cats and Macross?

Graham

i too like history. more US Civil War and WWII, though. i am also a complete comic book nut. comics are in competion for my most wallet sucking hobby with Macross. titles i read include:

Alias, Fables, Losers, Y the last man, Global Frequency, the Legion, Powers, Stormwatch Team Achilles, Wildcats 3.0, Sleeper, Batman (Jim Lee's Hush run), Sojourn, Queen and Country, New X-men, Outsiders, and am trying to finish out my old Gen 13 collection (first series). i highly recomend these titles to any comic readers out there!

i try and keep up on current events, so i could say the news is my hobby as well.

Lately, i have been reading a lot of Stephen King books, mainly the books connected with the Dark Tower series.

Besides Macross, I'm an avid home theatre enthusiast. My current setup cost about 5 grand, it'll have to do until I get more money. ;)

Edit: Hey Pat, could you explain how our alphabet is descended from Egyptian? I too love learning about history, the History and Discovery channels are two of my favorites.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Godzilla

Transformers

.hack

Sentai

Kamen Rider

Noir

Resident Evil

MegaMan

Roughneck Starship Troopers Chronicles

X tv

RahXephon

Reign (Alexander Senki)

Utena

Sailor Moon

Lord of the Rings

and lots of other things including my Girlfriend

Besides Macross stuff I collect:

NASCAR... it will put you deeper in debt faster than Macross will...

various anime and video game figures(Berserk, Fist of the North Star, Morrigan etc)

Lord of the Rings figures & merchandise. The new mini playsets are awesome.

DVD addict....

As a kid of the 80's I used to collect comics (X-men, Batman, Nexus, Badger for example). I don't collect anymore really. I've bought a few of the new

Fist of the North Star graphic novels and waiting for the Berserk manga to start in the US. I was looking forward to the New Teen Titans show on cartoon network since the comic was a favorite of mine as a kid...ugh what a horrible cartoon.

If I'd get my ass out of debt I'd go back to collecting various guitar equipment...which would probably send me straight back into debt lol :lol:

Variety in all things is the key to true fullfilment. My main passions would be writing, video games, women, restaraunts, music, film, reading, anime, science fiction, fantasy, and cycling/running. I spend plenty of time and money on a grand variety of those interests and enjoy the grand scope of different product within each. It's fun to try all kinds of things.

Oh yeah...

how did I forget about the ton of weapons lying around :lol:

Anybondy need a highlander sword? ;)

Not really, although I have been interested in getting a Norman or Saxon or Viking sword...Or a katana. Can't go wrong with a katana... B)

When I'm not too busy with work (doing kindergarten day care) and school you can usually find me playing cards. I enjoy playing (sensible) blackjack and no-limit texas hold em with a group of fellow card players.

I also like to spend time fiddling with my VW and I've just renewed my membership at 24 Hour Fitness (a healthy body = a healthy soul). I love taking road trips to Las Vegas and visiting my relatives in the Philippines. I'm also a fan of The Simpsons, Star Trek (TNG > DS9 > ENT > VOY > TOS), Seinfeld, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and John Woo movies. :lol:

I must be the odd one here. I don't watch that much anime. I only collect Macross toys and a few oldskool TF's. My number one hobby is dancing (ballroom, Latin, swing, country western, and folk). Aside from that I cultivate orchids (a very expensive hobby for the enthusiasts). I have lots of pets. I have a 10 gal tank that I breed guppies in. Any excess guppies are tansferred to my turtle tank. I have a cocktiel and a Himalayan cat. That's about it. My lifestyle does not leave me with time for much else.

vinnie

PS: Damn! How did I forget? Another of my all time hobby is women. Wine, dine, and dance them to their hearts content. This hobby, my friends, is an expensive and time consuming hobby not for the weak of constitution.

Besides Macross, I'm an avid home theatre enthusiast. My current setup cost about 5 grand, it'll have to do until I get more money. ;)

Edit: Hey Pat, could you explain how our alphabet is descended from Egyptian? I too love learning about history, the History and Discovery channels are two of my favorites.

LOL... Speakers... Stuff gets buried around here. Back when I worked electronics sales I amassed quite a sound system at far less than retail. 17 speakers and 1240 watts and I listen to my wireless headphones so I don't scare the fish :blink: . You spent over 5 grand?!? I don't want to know how loud it can get as I can't crank mine past 1/3rd volume or toys fall off the walls :huh:

I think pat was refering to the fact that the egyptians actually had a few written languages. Heiroglyphs were mainly royal decoration. I'm sure cuniform had an influence ;)

What else is there other than Macross? j/k

Let's see... watching anime, collecting comic books, video games, weapons, computers, drawing - I don't have "Struggling Manga Artist" in the sig for nothing. Oh, history you know the old saying "If you don't know the you're doomed to repeat it"