Where are the customs?

Jasonc

Just curious, but it seems as though this forum is slowing down to a grinding hault. I was wondering if anyone is currently working on new customs, or has just finished anything new. As for myself, I am currently working on a VT-1 custom, and it's looking pretty good. I still need a lot of putty and sand for the resin parts, but I have a custom on the way, then a "Red Barron" VF-1J I'll be doing right after. If you're working on something, or planning, or have pics of works in progress or just finished a custom, post here.

Just wanting to see if the love of custom toys is still around. :D

I've been working on this custom TV Max 1A for a while now. It's my first custom so it's coming out a little crappy. It's been done before so I don't think it's a big deal.

Ah, the Max TV 1/48 custom. I remember my 4th custom in which I learned so much. You need to put primer on because you keep painting white to cover up the symbols but the paint becomes thick. I learned the hard way Gabe. Here is min if you didnt see it. I may redo it when I get my airbrush...

DSCF0113.JPG

DSCF0108a.jpg

post-4-1096338033_thumb.jpg

post-4-1096338234_thumb.jpg

I'll post some pics soon of my 1/55 Super O that I'm working on. Still not done yet, but I should be done soon if I can escape my girlfriend's house for a couple evenings. After that, I will begin work on a complete custom.

I want to design and paint a "Red Baron" color scheme. I was thinking red and white with a little black trim and the iron crosses, but Should I do that or use a grey in there? It'll be something not done before, cause I'm kinda tired of seeing the same valks over and over again. I'm just doing the Ostrich cause I always wanted one and never got one. They're also too expensive and don't even resemble the movie. Well, pics to come soon of my crappy work area and of my work. :D

Good to see people here are still doing some customs. Post up your projects here.

Yeah, I've seen the customs in the gallery, but it's gone quite stagnant for new stuff and I was hoping to hear what everyone who customizes was planning or doing now. Kinda like an unofficial updates page for customizers.

jasonc,definately use a little grey in your red baron custom.i think it would look sweet w/ the belly of the valk painted that light gray kinda the way the modern fighters do for camo against the sky.i don't know if the original von richtoven had his that way,but it would blend very nicely w/ a modern take on his paint scheme.

i am planning a 1/48 VF-1S custom max(for a while now),but i'm still in the collecting pieces & parts stage.i'll definately post pics when i'm done.it's another custom that i know has been done-to-death,but i'm doing it cause i've always wanted 1.especially now that rohby has cast probably the most perfect & detailed VF-1S head ever.combine that w/ some of anisazi37's incredibly perfect decals & it'll be just perfect. ;)

I've actually wanted to do a DYRL Max and a Kakizaki, but I just have these two to get through and honestly, with a new girlfriend, I am having a hard time getting to my Super-O I'm working on. But I do agree with you on Anasazi's decals. They are the best, and I get mine from him all the time.

Anasazi, that sucks going through personal stuff sometimes. Especially with holidays coming, but man, you're part of the Macross family, and we're always here. Especially your faithful customers. :D

Valkyrietestpilot, I've been using those blank side view pics of the vfs to go through color scenarios, and soon I'll post those up so people can see what looks better as far as color arrangements. It's easy when you have a reference, but alone and original, it gets a little tricky. Just wanna have it done where I won't look at it later and say, "Ah man, I should've done this or that to it."

yeah devin(anasazi37),

hope all your personal stuff works out for you. as you can see,you & your awsome work are missed very much here.

jasonc,can't wait to see how she turns out for ya.having a new lady friend myself,i can understand how custom valks has slid to the back burner slightly.boyfriend/girlfriend stuff almost never includes working on custom valks :lol:

Edited by valkyrietestpilot

jasonc,i've seen a plane painted red baron style w/ the greyed out belly,but i can't remember were.i remember thinking how good it looked that way though.my feeling would be,if you do do the grey underbelly,tone down the red on top some,so as not to have a bright glossy red "crashing" into the light grey at the bottom.

You know, I think it was on the old forums for the design. There was a very good thread in the old forums that had many custom designs. This one will be much different. And as far as the red, I usually give all my customs a dull coat. I've never been into the glossy, flashy look, especially since most of these planes would never be shiny to begin with in reality. You'll have to let me know how your custom comes out and post up update pics. It's always cool to see others' processes. <_<

I've been working on this custom TV Max 1A for a while now.  It's my first custom so it's coming out a little crappy.  It's been done before so I don't think it's a big deal.

Ah, the Max TV 1/48 custom. I remember my 4th custom in which I learned so much. You need to put primer on because you keep painting white to cover up the symbols but the paint becomes thick. I learned the hard way Gabe. Here is min if you didnt see it. I may redo it when I get my airbrush...

DSCF0113.JPG

DSCF0108a.jpg

so godzilla... to make the symbols disappear, u have to paint it over and over??

is there any better way to do this???? does this apply only to white color paint??? hmmmm :wacko:

To get rid of the factory paint, you have a few options:

1) Rub the paint off with a buffing compound. Brasso metal polish has been proven to work from fellow MW'ers.

2) Use a mild solvent paint remover. I tried all kinds of this stuff including Castrol Super Clean and didn't remove jack. Do a search for this...

3) Sand down the symbols SLIGHTLY (600 grit or higher) to flatten the paint then, repaint the whole valkyrie with primer or Mr Surfacer (folks here use Mr. Surfacer 1000 and 1200)

Then repaint the whole valkyrie.

My experience is from 1/48 modding. Haven't tried these steps for 1/55s, 1/60s or other Valkyries but good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
TV Max VF-1S! Love it! So how about a Millia's now?

And post some hires pictures in the toys forum will you?

thanks for the comps dudes but i wish i had some real skills...all i can do is paint some heads. :lol:

i liked the way the head turned out as far as the paint scheme but i have to touch it up a bit, then i'll post some more pics. i kind of rushed through it when the idea popped into my head.

the millia is in the works with a TV hikaru S(w/hollowed out head lasers, thanks fulcy) on the horizon...time to get yet another S head from rohby-sans. :p

now only if someone would make some recasts of the A heads and J heads *cough-rohby-cough* :D , so i can swap around the heads like the branprestos, i'd be a very happy man. :)

looks perfectly great! just wondering...what type of paint did you use?? cuz that blue seems perfectly match the Max blue color... :o

I have a suggestion tho..why dont you make the stripe a little bit to the side of the head (like the stripe on the 1J head) and make the stripe goes all the way down to the chin? anyway, that head looks sooo cool

aaajin

HATERIST, that is one gorgeous looking valk!!! :) Don't wanna sound like a broken record, but just like what AAAJIN said: "What type paint did you use?". I'm getting ready to make a custom 1/60 TV MAX 1A and I need to get my stuff ready, starting with what type paint to use.

Edited by connor99

paint? i use Citadel Paints by Games Workshop, its the 40K warhammer paint(used to paint miniatures). its non-toxic water based acrylic paint so its pretty easy to use and pretty easy to remove if you make mistakes.....you can pretty much wash off the paint with hot water and a scouring(sp?) pad. :)

one thing to note is because its acrylic paint, it dries relatively fast, so you gotta paint fast and smooth, or atleast add a little paint thinner to make it easier on yourself as well as prevent leaving visible brush strokes.

i've done a few customs and really haven't had to match/mix any of the colors much, atleast not where it was driving me crazy. check your local hobby store, they should have a 9 color box set(thats what i got) as well as dozens upon dozens of other colors that might match perfectly for whatever your working on. :)

okay the head stripe....

i thought about painting the stripe on the side but then it would look to similar to the J head, so i figured i'd try and keep things different. i guess i could extend the stripe down all the way to the chin but i'm not sure if it'll look good? i'll have to test it out with a white sticker just so i don't have to paint it until i'm absolutely sure it looks cool.

as far as doing a stripe down the side all the way to the chin...i have a feeling if i did that, it'll look like Max got a spooge stain going down the side of his face. :p:D:lol:

yeah, its not canon but i could give a rats behind...heres a close up.

canon or not it is a very nice custom.

Edited by zeo-mare