DYRL display stand review

do not disturb

so in my feeble attempt to keep this site going( :rolleyes: ) i decided to do a small review for this as well.

here we go...

first off, the stand looks nice but its far from movie accurate. basically yamato took some plastic, made it somewhat look like the launch arm in DYRL, threw it in a box, slapped macross on it, to be sold to suckers like us. :D some assembly is require but not much of a hassle as it shouldn't take you more than a minute to put together.

they did a fairly good job making sure the stand would work for all the yammies out there. its displays all the 1/60s, 1/48s and 1/72s. while this doesn't seem like a big deal, its a first for yamato to make something of this nature and actually have it work for each of their toys....i commend them for that. the only thing that really bothers me and i'm sure most everyone here that owns one of these, is that theres no way to display the valks with gunpods...what a pisser huh? yeah its killing me too.

the valks are held on by a interchangable plastic clips that attaches to the bottom of the valk and theres quite a few of them. oddly enough the 1/60's got 2 clips, 1 for the most of the 1/60's and a seperate one for the VE and VT. also seperate ones for the 1/72 11b, 19, 21 and 21fp.

the only problem with these clips are, its a total bitch to take on and off(especially for the 1/48s and 1/60's). you have to half-ass TF the 1/48 to get the clip off and you have to remove the legs on the 1/60s...kind of a pain in the butt if you ask me.

the stand itself is very sturdy overall and they added additional weight to the base so it doesn't tip over. they also made it so you can tighten and loosen 2 phillips head screws in the arms at its pivot points for additional strength and support. they were also nice enough to include 2 extra screws just in case.

overall its not bad but it ain't too good either. it kills me that yamato went through the trouble of making the stand work for all the different valks but w/o gunpods. :rolleyes:

i had no interest in purchasing this from the very beginning but then broke down a few months after it had been released. personally, i think its one of those 50/50 items to own, i have it and i'm still on the fence about whether it was worth buying it. :unsure:

the price....

if you can get one on sale for $30 or less, i say get one. otherwise i'd stick with the tripod display stands as you'll get 3 for the price of 1 of these. :)

i'll try and post some pics when i get some free time.

Edited by haterist

Does that mean that all the valks on this display stand can't have a gunpod or just the vf-19a?  :blink:

From Rich

the only ones(that i know of) that can be mounted with the gunpod is the YF-21 and YF-21FP. i'm not sure about the 11B/FP cause i sold it before i got the stand.

heres a reference list of what can and cannot be displayed with gunpods.

1/60 - none can be displayed w/gunpod in fighter mode

1/48 - none can be displayed w/gunpod in fighter mode

1/72 - 19/A can't be displayed w/gunpod in fighter mode

1/72 - ??? i don't know

1/72 - 21/21FP can be displayed w/gunpod in fighter mode

Edited by haterist

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Can the vt-1 elint seeker fit on the stands and the supert ostrich?

from Rich

yes it can, they actually made a seperate clip for the VE and VT.

also, i was messing around with the stand a couple of days ago and you can (sort of) display a 1/48(has to have FPs on) with the gunpod attached. its sort of a balancing act but basically don't attach the clip to the valk, just rest the FP valk on the clip. its not safe to display it with any kind of crazy angles but atleast you can leave the gunpod on.

• 8 months later...