MACROSS SDF TV Remake

DatterBoy

No it is not all official. What is "Official is that the TV series has the "Official" story and the movie the "Official designs.

Sorry I thought you were saying that certain parts of Macross were not official in terms of not being sanctioned by Kowamori.

But in any event...what Keith said. :)

So what does that leave Macross with? Nothing. It has no designs, a story that doesn't work with in continuity, and a background history that is being rewritten. Macross should be reanimated uniting the "Official" Story and Designs into one True Macross and the original should be placed back into an alternate universe.

Just because Kawamori decided to go insane and add strangeness upon strangeness to a story that worked well enough, doesn't mean that the original SDF should be thrown out of official-dom. In fact, it simply isn't.

Besides, Kawamori himself has stated that he doesn't care that much about continuity. No reason to throw SDF out because *we* choose to be retentive about continuity, trying to line up things that don't line up, because the creator *didn't care* to line them up.

-Al

That's exactly it. In fact, IIRC, he went even further to say that both the DYRL continuity and the TV continuity are BOTH valid as the "real" way things happened.

And you want to talk about continuity headaches? Try Lupin. THere are at least four stories about how Goemon got his sword floating about...

Kawamori never said he didn't care about contnuity. He said he wasn't going to be anal about continuity in regards to Zero. And even then, there's nothing in Zero that contradicts anything which came before.

As for the two ways of looking at the story, that statement is almost as old as DYRL, and pre-officially placing the movie as a 2031 era feature.

I don't think people understand the question all that well...

it's "would it work?"

not "will it happen?"

:rolleyes:

yes it would work, the fact is:

• the voice acting on SDF was excellent
  • the music and songs were awesome
  • both mechanical and character designs were great

sure the animation was satisfactory for the 80's but I would spend additional cash on an SE version IF it was ever done. Purists be damned...

sure the animation was satisfactory for the 80's but I would spend additional cash on an SE version IF it was ever done. Purists be damned...

Satisfactory is about all that can be said.

Was rewatching it earlier. In one episode I saw uncountable instances of mis-assembled frames. Wrinkled cels, mis-stacked cels, and one instance of a cel from a diffrent scene winding up on top of the current frame. It's almost embarassing.

Embarassing? I find it endearing. It's very reflective of a time when studoi's had to fight deadlines, certain key animator's taking way too long to get awesome explosions just right, budget, etc, and still turn out an awesome series.

Embarassing? I find it endearing. It's very reflective of a time when studoi's had to fight deadlines, certain key animator's taking way too long to get awesome explosions just right, budget, etc, and still turn out an awesome series.

I said almost embarassing.

But a cel from a whole diffrent scene? How does that even get there?

Nah...It was during Ep. 10, in a scene where the Macross' radar deck was exploding...over it for a brief moment you can see Hikaru and Minmay's tent from Ep. 4.

Only problem I could see standing in the way of a SDF Macross remake is the death of Hikaru's voice actor. Would Kawamori be willing to find another VA to substitute for Arihiro Hase?

If someone starts a petition, I'll sign it.

Is he willing to? Yes. Does he want to? Probably no. He probably likes the voices he picks for his characters (who wouldn't, since he is the director) and would not change them. It's been 20 years and he didn't change the voice of Roy so... For games, yes he will use different voices (he got a new VA for Hikaru in the PS2 game) but I don't think he will for animated productions.

Only problem I could see standing in the way of a SDF Macross remake is the death of Hikaru's voice actor. Would Kawamori be willing to find another VA to substitute for Arihiro Hase?

If someone starts a petition, I'll sign it.

Is he willing to? Yes. Does he want to? Probably no. He probably likes the voices he picks for his characters (who wouldn't, since he is the director) and would not change them. It's been 20 years and he didn't change the voice of Roy so... For games, yes he will use different voices (he got a new VA for Hikaru in the PS2 game) but I don't think he will for animated productions.

you're missing the point, they'd just use the original voice tracks, no need to replace hikarus voice actor.

the idea wasn't a REMAKE it was a REANIMATION of the serise.

personally i'd just like to see the mistakes fixed, and the frame-rate bumped up in some spots. maybe swap out some of the re-used fight scenes for clean new ones.

i'd rather not see CG in the original, but thats just where me and mr Dat have differing views.

Why even bother to remake it to updated froms or techniques of animatiion when using the original tracks? It will be just as expensive as making it compared to making a newer version. I'd say make a whole new one for the newer generation of Macross fans if they want to stay in competition withe the likes of Gundam and Transformers whose captivated more viewers for their fresher look. Don't half-ass it by using old tracks and an old story line.

Kawarmori IIRC said he had no intentions of revamping the old characters. That's fine by me, if we want to stick to the timeline within the original TV series of Macross, then I'd like to see new characters that parallell the Hikaru/Minmay/Misa storyline. The old characters will just play themselves but just cameo appearances. Come on it's not just the old school characters that struggled thru TV series conflict with the Zentradi, I'm sure anyone can imagine characters within the Macross universe that could parallel to the original TV timeline.

As far as animation, it has to be CG like Mac0, a combo of traditional and computers.

I thought that was called Macross 7. :ph34r:

I agree with Sithlord, if there was a 'remake' of the TV series, I'd like to see it deal with different characters and different situations during the same timeframe--perhaps set it on earth and let us see what happened while the Macross was away.

I'd also like to see the 'definitive' telling of Space War One.

Sean

I agree with Sithlord, if there was a 'remake' of the TV series, I'd like to see it deal with different characters and different situations during the same timeframe--perhaps set it on earth and let us see what happened while the Macross was away.

I'd also like to see the 'definitive' telling of Space War One.

Sean

terrible... just terrible,

remake that would be awful...

reanimation, that would be interesting

The serie is already done and it is ok like that, lets not turn Mr Kawamori into Lucas.

I prefer to see a New Macross colony fleet with a involved in something similar to the VF-X2 game story

Edited by RichterX

reanimation, that would be interesting

The serie is already done and it is ok like that, lets not turn Mr Kawamori into Lucas.

But isn't reanimating it simply playing the Lucas game anyway? To me that would be like all that extra CG crap added to ANH's Mos Eisly scenes etc.

In any case, I crave more Macross. Zero just didn't do it for me. I'd LOVE to see a new series, but one definatly more in tune with the hard-edged realism of war than quite as mysticly flightly as M7.

Sean

Again, I can't help but point out the option of oh I don't know....watching a different series if you want to watch something with new situations & characters....

If you want to watch something constantly re-interpreted, we do already have Gundam. And if you guys missed the hard-edgedness of 7, then no new Macross series would do anything for you.

That sort of formula wouldn't fit well with Macross (see Macross II), re-doing one would require re-doing all, and that's just not necessary with the nature of how the story has been presented. In this case, it would make more sense to just re-animate with the existing story & audio tracks.

That sort of formula wouldn't fit well with Macross (see Macross II), re-doing one would require re-doing all, and that's just not necessary with the nature of how the story has been presented. In this case, it would make more sense to just re-animate with the existing story & audio tracks.

Not really.

A story from the PoV of a destroid pilot on the Prometheus, to use an old example, wouldn't necessarily mess with the original storyline. Just add to it.

Not really.

A story from the PoV of a destroid pilot on the Prometheus, to use an old example, wouldn't necessarily mess with the original storyline. Just add to it.

Not gonna happen. The Destroids don't transform, and we all know that non-transforming mecha are just bit-players in the Macross universe.

well what i envision isn't much like the "lucas" effect.

fixing real problems like some of max's 4 frame a second walks and improper cells arn't jacking with the story. its just fixes.

i could be wrong but i dont' think anyone loves SDF BECAUSE of the mistakes. and i mean technical mistakes, impropers cells on screen, animation that is blocked but not in-betweened, color poping.

i'm not saying re-edit. this is no "twin snakes" or special edition, just some fixes.

thats just what i'd like to see. :mellow:

^^ I agree with above post

I say keep it the same. I love the old style.

If they had to change something I would say just add some frames. get rid of the jerky walks or crashes that go from hit to fall to impact in 3 frames.

Other than that I wouldn't change a thing

Edited by Davethecoolguy

Not really.

Not gonna happen. The Destroids don't transform, and we all know that non-transforming mecha are just bit-players in the Macross universe.

I know. It was just the first example of a "side story" I could think of.

And YES! @ KingNoir. Clean things up, but keep the show essentially as-is.

No replacing the 80s designs with modern 21st century ones, no changing things after the fact, no making Kamjin Minmay's biggest fan. Just visual polishing.

It'd be nice to have a version of Virgin Road that didn't make my eyes bleed.

If you want a full remake, go watch DYRL.

Granted it's not the same depth a full series offers, but it's still a pretty radical rewrite.

hello all i am back an out of basic training to once again join the ranks of my macross brethen here within the posts. now looking at this particular one i would have to say no, i wouldn't want a remake or an update, i too want more macross, but leave the origianl alone whether it ties into continuity or not, i don't care. it is like how hollywood keeps going back to remake old movies, is it a really good idea, i mean i talk to my friends about a star wars eps. IV-VI remake. honestly i didn't like when he added the extra scenes in the new version it just isn't the same anymore. i want to remember macross space war one as it is don't change it, yes it was animated badly, so what, most of you like me have still dedicated a major portion of you life to the show regardless, how about we pull to make a new series that makes a little more sense than m.0 than sit here and try to remake the old one, if you don't like how it was done, don't watch it.

What bothers me about that is like what you said about Macross II can be also said for Macross Zero, regarding the continuity. An example that really bothers me is the enclosed video system that the VF-0 in battroid mode is way more sophisticated than the VF-1's one visual display, explain that odd transition. So how does that fit into the timeline? Do the manufacturers of the VF-0 step back from the technological leap that had accomplished & tested in the battlefront only to reinvent it in Macross Plus in the YF-19 as a prototype? So IMO the timeline has been altered from the get-go with Macross Zero and it just makes more sense to remake the TV series rather than re-doing an old classic which was good in it's day.

The VF-0 is not a mass-production fighter. Prototypes and testbed mechs aren't normally subject to production costs like the mass-produced fighters. The VF-1 is however, a mass-production fighter and cannot afford such luxuries of the VF-0's video system. Mass-production has to cut costs in order to meet the demand.

What bothers me about that is like what you said about Macross II can be also said for Macross Zero, regarding the continuity. An example that really bothers me is the enclosed video system that the VF-0 in battroid mode is way more sophisticated than the VF-1's one visual display, explain that odd transition. So how does that fit into the timeline? Do the manufacturers of the VF-0 step back from the technological leap that had accomplished & tested in the battlefront only to reinvent it in Macross Plus in the YF-19 as a prototype? So IMO the timeline has been altered from the get-go with Macross Zero and it just makes more sense to remake the TV series rather than re-doing an old classic which was good in it's day.

The VF-0 is not a mass-production fighter. Prototypes and testbed mechs aren't normally subject to production costs like the mass-produced fighters. The VF-1 is however, a mass-production fighter and cannot afford such luxuries of the VF-0's video system. Mass-production has to cut costs in order to meet the demand.

This sort of thing had already been established in Macross Plus and 7 with the YF-21 and VF-22. The YF-21, from which the VF-22 was developed, was controlled mainly by the brainwave control system (BDS). The VF-22, however, is controlled by a conventional digital flight control system. Although there were no doubt many reasons for the decision, it shows that certain technologies may be dropped for the production version of a fighter.