Science and Technology MEGA THREAD

Max Jenius

A fascinating look at 'non-lethal' weapon concepts developed by the U.S. Military from 'a 1997 report from the Institute for National Security Studies - part of the US Air Force Academy...'

http://www.thememoryhole.org/mil/nl-weapons_terms/

PDF file downloadable here:

http://www.thememoryhole.org/mil/nl-weapon...apons_terms.pdf

Quite a few tantalizing hints at high tech systems in this report. The bibliography alone is verrrrry interesting! :ph34r:

I'm intrigued by mention of a Soviet 'sonic' bullet the size of a baseball said to have a range of hundreds of yards. Air that packs a wallop!

The report even (too) briefly mentions 'wetworks' bio-implants. The military world of the near future will, mark my words, appear to have stepped out of a cyberpunk novel...

Stuff like the C-CLAW (Close Combat Laser Assault Weapon) have even ended up on human right watch lists as being an 'inhumane' weapon... http://www.hrw.org/reports/1995/Us2.htm ...like its more inhumane to blind a soldier than kill him. Yee-ah.

Should that intensified light strike the eye's fovea, or optic nerve, a phenomenon known as photocoagulation occurs, there is a "vitreal hemorrhage" and the eye is filled with blood. The effect... is "irreversible."
from http://www.anti-mafia.com/D.E.A.-Tech.htm (BTW, WTF is up with that 'cloaking pyramid' thingie - is that for real?!?)

General Laser Weapon development info: http://members.rogers.com/biglasers/continuous/weapons.html

Edited by Amped

Is there any way to see this w/o logging in?

Hmm, try it from the slashdot article here. I didn't have to log in using the link there. When I cliciked on the link I posted it does ask me. Wierd. The World Peace Herald link at least doesn't ask to register. I hate news sites that make you register. :angry:

Edited by Anubis

They look just like the hunter killers from terminator. Or really cool toys that we might be able to buy in the future. :D

Now imagine if these bots were to be able to work in teams through some sort of central network to communicate to each other or hooked up to a Skynet type worldwide network. If something were to go wrong with the network and the bots go crazy, humans will need to fight them. Scary yet, what if in the future we replace AI programs with strict rulebased commands and branches with neural network 'learning' robots with fuzzy logic that train themselves to be smarter and more efficient over time the more a task is performed?

Combine this story with the lasers one and you have the scene from terminator. Picture the scene in T3 where they show the cars driving themselves, because the terminatrix hacks into them, contorlling them wirelessly, there is the scary possibility that these machines might mistake humans as the enemy and turn against them. If someone hacked into the network Yang Neuman style, chaos would erupt and we would need to send somebody back in time to fix things.. Your living room could attack you. Think about your videogame system neworked to run everything and sony using that machine networked to every other machine in every other household.

Robots - you can never trust em.. always been turning against us and trying to replacing us I say.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

possible yes..

likely..ummmmm , I think the reserchers/engineers grew up dealing with such concepts...and will engineer combat robots with this in mind...

this makes piloted robots much more of a possibility ...due too fear of 30 foot atonomus mechs killing people indiscrimnantly.hmmmhm ;)

Hahahaha, in the end even scientists are stupid

with a "We try, to see if we can" Job philosophy, you can bet they are building

autonomous AI's with learning capabilities

Never underestimate human stupidity

Scientist sees autonomous robot

Military needs perfect soldier

Society wants bloodles wars

Murphy's law FUBAR

They knew what an atombomb could do, yet they still designed, built and used it

When the time comes for them to cross areas that require bridges they will be doomed. :p Then we will see the grasshopper variants with rocketboosted-assisted jumps complete with legs to absorb the fall and arms to carry items and open doors.

Then later will come the giant spidermechs from appleseed which have no need to run over and flatten every building just to get to an area, and also the FuchiKomas from Gits. (hey, maybe even give them grapplinghooks to scale vertically, and maybe optic camoflage) And of course transforming cars for times when these robots need to disguise themselves innocently to the enemy in case there are some sensitive spots. (think of 'Kit' from knight rider but with the transformers transforming ability)

Hell forget the bloody vechicle style machines, we'll probably develop full on androids to replace the flesh and blood killers. (the one that beats up harrison ford to a pulp in blade runner - they'd be so dangerous for humans themselves to hunt, that we'd have to hire other android/reploids just to take them down) Face it, if these noisy things have to get inside an area to rescue people, (ie climb the steps, push the button on the console to activate the elevator etc) they will do as much damage to the good guys and themselves as the bad guys. (you all know what happened to poor old ED209 in Robocop don't you? think about what he did to the inside of the building when fighting Robo?)

Oh and Fu, if aliens saw these they would laugh since they would be so far ahead of us technologically they would have progressed into far much cooler things (flesh and blood robots with a psychic mind control link and remote viewing capability, containing more intelligence than a machine robot) due to thier superior intellect and access to strange and precious metals they could easily mine from other planets given thier use of UFOs and mastery of antigrav which is more efficient than our crude forms of ass-hauling. Thier armoured warriors would be equiped with a Lord of the rings style Mithril (as light as a feather, but tough as poo! :D ) which would outclass anything we had on earth. The governments of the world wouldn't even know if they were being attacked since for all we know, they may have time travel and teleportation mastered so that the conventional battle tactic used against them would be inapropriate.(beefy machines whose parts malfunction over time and can't repair themselves without us)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Here's a short article about armed robots going to Iraq.

talon_fm_f.jpg

while the idea is cool, they'd be too slow in real life.

it would take all of 3 seconds for a human to target this thing and blow it off the face of the map. while it probalby takes it atleast 10 seconds to move, turn, aim and fire...and thats only for stationary targets.

the only way these would work is if we were literally invading some country. we'd need thousands of them to form a line, then have them blow away anything in its path. otheriwse this is nothing more than a robotic bomb disposal unit with some rockets and guns, completely pointless IMHO.

Edited by haterist

The walker is kinda wierd, but the 4 wheeled vehicle one is pretty cool.

The Main Show, titled “MOVE, LIVE,” will feature a theme of “In Movement is Freedom. In Movement is Life.” Single passenger “i-unit” concept vehicles and a mountable, walking “i-foot” robot will join with dancers in a “mobility performance” that will introduce the concepts of “The Wonders of Living and Moving Freely” and “The New Relationship Between People and Vehicles.”

Sounds like a Sirius Cybernetics Corp tagline.... Marvin would be proud.

that walker is probably the ugliest,.fruit-filled POS i've ever seen in my entire life..

>>>it is DISTURBINGLY ugly...so bad...

...ugly.ugly...ugly(ugly)ugly ugly!

it's like some fruit flavored tellatubby bot thing, ugly....BAD UGLY.

ugly, bad, ugly, bad and ugly! :lol::lol::lol:

the technology is impressive...but the bot is the ugliest thing i've ever seen.

and i thought i loved robots...hehhh :blink:

that's some disturbing shhht!!!!!! :(

They look just like the hunter killers from terminator. Or really cool toys that we might be able to buy in the future. :D

Notice that they have treads and not legs. Hmph!! :p

Hk had differnt types of movement since the first movie.

Only problem i see with the talon robots that people can knock it down sideways and beat it with a pipe.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude i am tripping, advanced desings at BOSE, alien technology?

BOSE SITE

Some people will say "so what?"

some will jump out a window in envy

some will see the implications..

think............ valk legs......................

Big up and respekt to BOSE!!!!!!

Edited by orguss01