Science and Technology MEGA THREAD

Max Jenius

I've been wondering how computers would change by the time I have kids. I hope this is it.

If technology were dictated purely on the basis of progression, then the modern computer would be an APU with no HDD purely run on MRAM (magnetic RAM it's faster and non-volatile unlike DRAM, and cheaper to manufacture unlike SRAM) and would be about the size of a PDA. Which would also be able to utilize the microfilm screens (shown above) and the light emitted mobile keyboards. But since the industry isn't ready to do away with SDRAM, or Video Cards, or HDD, we're stuck with big bulky laptop/desktops that either underperform because you're trying to save battery or perform great but aren't (or are barely) mobile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've been wondering how computers would change by the time I have kids. I hope this is it.

Naw, way too bulky, user unfriendly, and virtually no hope of industrial adoption. Touch screens have been around for 20+ years.

Can you really call it 'new' when all you do is copy something else?

• 1 month later...

Gold Rings create the first true invisibility cloak

Unlike Tolkien's ring, it doesn't look like it has sauron's spirit attached to it.

Maybe if they can get a 3d version working in the far future you could use this to hide all the yamato valkyries for those who are too embarrassed to have guests over that might think you are too geeky when they see them..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's... It's a Gundam!!!

:lol:

Seriously, we all knew this was supposed to happen one day, especially since the announcement of Cyberdine's HAL-5 being mass-produced last year :)

What bothers me, though, is the big wire in the back of the thing: it seems this device requires a huge amount of energy to be operated (logical, you'd say...) so we can wonder if powerful enough batteries already exist for this thing, and if they'll allow it to work long enough to be efficient on the battlefield

It's still not the end of the road for all of us mechafreaks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Right, but how do we get the scotch to Mars?

Actually this entire mars mission was put together and funded by some crazy billionaire who was bored with having his 30-year scotch over ice drilled from polar glaciers and wanted something different, something...out of this world. The new rover is essentially nothing more than a cooler with a camera, a drill and a claw.

Edited by eriku

• 2 months later...