Did anyone build any Macross 7 Models?

roberttan

I've built the 1/144 Fire Valkyrie two-set (which I tried, unsuccessfully, to customize into a YF-19, as it was 1995 and plastic injection Macross Plus models didn't exist then) and the 1/100 transformable Fire Valkryrie (both Bandai), which makes a pretty good looking battroid or gerwalk, but a pretty pitiful fighter.

I also just got the Hasegawa VF-22S, but haven't started on it yet.

I've built Bandai's whole 1/144 line (VF-11, VF-11MAXL Kai, VF-19 Fire Valkyrie, and two VF-17s, one for the 17F, and one for the 17S), the transforming 1/100 VF-19S, and Hasegawa's VF-22S (which I did in Diamond Force colours rather than Max). Were you looking for some feedback on their quality? IMHO, the 1/144 scale were fun to build ; the 1/100 looks okay in battroid mode, and not so great in the others; Hasegawa's VF-22S is my favourite Hasegawa model to date.

Back in the mid-90's when they first came out I built all the 1/144 and 1/100 Bandai Macross 7 kits.

As I'm not really a model builder and have no talent with paint, putty or glue, I just snap-fitted them together and slapped on only the bare minimum of paint necessary on certain parts, i.e. VF-11B's FAST packs and feet. I even kit-bashed some VF-11B fighter with FAST packs. Think I've still got some blurry photos somewhere.

I also once paid a skilled model builder to paint the 1/100 VF-19S in a special custom Roy Focker color scheme. Unfortunately that's long gone now, broken as inevitably happens to most plastic models.

Graham

I tried replying earlier to this post but the server timed out. Anyways, I found the 1/144th kits to be fun but a little lacking in detail. Pretty good poseability and I liked the fighter modes. Not bad for something cheap and fun, and with the Tect add-on parts, it seems like they'd be very cool.

The only 1/100th scale kit I built was a VF-19Kai, which was a so-so kit. I was disapointed because despite being transformable, you had to swap out parts. Not as cool as I had hoped, also seemed a bit flimsy.

As for non-Bandai Macross 7 kits, I have a non-scale Kaiyodo VF-19S that I bought from Blackaces at MW Con3, but I haven't gotten a chance to build it yet. The parts are pretty though. :lol:

The only Macross 7 model I have is the VF-19 F/S. It's not really done, just parts of the torso, arms, legs etc.. have gotten the glue, putty and paint job. The real tricky part is going to be masking on the UN Spacy logos onto the wing and the main body of the plane. I'm tempted to use my Yamato stickers as quick solution...

But it does look nice, even if it's scattered around my workbench.

Skull Leader and David Hingten would you mind please sharing pics of your VF-11MAXL Fighter and Battroid kits? Just about to start on that little 2 pack. I picked it up from TwinMoons for really cheap so any pics would be big a very big help. BTW, for those interested..Tamim over at Twinmoons has several of these and the other re-issued Bandai kits for sale at a great price. So, get them while you can!

BTW, any advice you guys want to share on the little MAXL kits while you are at it? Thanks in advance! :)

Sincerely,

Melissa

Skull Leader and David Hingten would you mind please sharing pics of your VF-11MAXL Fighter and Battroid kits? Just about to start on that little 2 pack. I picked it up from TwinMoons for really cheap so any pics would be big a very big help. BTW, for those interested..Tamim over at Twinmoons has several of these and the other re-issued Bandai kits for sale at a great price. So, get them while you can!

BTW, any advice you guys want to share on the little MAXL kits while you are at it? Thanks in advance! :)

Sincerely,

Melissa

Melissa,

I'm constructing a MAXL right now. I'm working mostly on the fighter. I had to correct the nose shape (it is not as bad as the VF-11 but it needs some work though), cover the ejection marks (under the wings, cannards, etc.), sand the wings leading edges (they are almost square) to a more aerodinamic shape, correct the shape under the cannards to match the fuselage (there is a step), putty the seams and the Gubaba marking (I have the Wave Macross decals that has the MAXL markings) and the worst: FIND AND BUY THE PINK PAINT (Guy at the model shop: -pink? I have this desert pink from the gulf war... a more intense pink or magenta??? Wait a minute, what the hell you are planning to paint? Ahhh!! one of those SciFi things you use to build!!! :lol: ). I had no luck with model paints available at my town but I found an artists acryl paint that was exactly what I was looking for.

PS: after buying the pink paint I rushed into a beauty shop and buy some clear nail polish tho fix my Banprestos, I had to refrain myself for going into a Tower Records to buy a Pet Shop Boys and a George Micheal CD.... :D

PS: after buying the pink paint I rushed into a beauty shop and buy some clear nail polish tho fix my Banprestos, I had to refrain myself for going into a Tower Records to buy a Pet Shop Boys and a George Micheal CD.... :D

Ok now that was funny, :lol::lol::lol:

If I find battroid---it's packed away somewhere. As for fighter--actually experimented with panel-lining after I built it, sort of ruined it. Plan to strip it and re-do it someday. (Or buy a new one, cheap little kit).

Anyways, Testors "Hot Magenta" is the absolute most perfect match you could ever ask for. It matches the pink plastic PERFECTLY. However, it's quite thick and goopy, and VERY glossy. It's like liquid lipstick. I think it's part of their car line, near the bright pale blue and neon green.... (It's also a great color for pink beamsabers for Gundams, and "sublime green" is a perfect yellow-green color)

Anyways, Testors "Hot Magenta" is the absolute most perfect match you could ever ask for. It matches the pink plastic PERFECTLY. However, it's quite thick and goopy, and VERY glossy. It's like liquid lipstick.

Here we go again...This Macross thing is really bad for our reputation: not only we have to buy nail polish in the beauty shop for the Banprestos but then the pink paint should be like liquid lipstick !!!!!!! :blink:

I just can't even think about a situation like this:

Me myself and I going into a Hobby Shop --packed with it's typical customers (nazi-panzer-lufwaffe-modelers) arguing about the shade of such a color as RLM 89-- and asking for a PINK paint (and not a desert strom one!!!) HOT MAGENTA that is like liquid lipstick....Why risking my life for such a small and weird model?? and how I would then refrain from buying the George Michael CDs??? :(

Serious mode: David, thanks for the info. I was really looking for such color but the hobby shops here have mostly military colors (even Models Masters).

007-vf1: you changed the hands don't you? Nice hands!! Are they HGUC hands?

Gerwalker-There're the tect resin optional parts I found a while ago. It comes with a new set of hands a better neck and a gun for the VF-19.

the 19 Kai is not magenta is actually the tamiya red...since the sun was hitting the models directly the picture came too light-colored.

007-vf1: you changed the hands don't you? Nice hands!! Are they HGUC hands?

Gerwalker-There're the tect resin optional parts I found a while ago. It comes with a new set of hands a better neck and a gun for the VF-19.

the 19 Kai is not magenta is actually the tamiya red...since the sun was hitting the models directly the picture came too light-colored.

Thanks. Those hands are nice!! I thought that they were from a Gundam kit since I'm planning to copy them for my valks. The neck thing is not very noticeable in the pics but the original one is just a square+ball vinyl part.

And don't worry, we all know that your VF-19 was painted with the very macho color Tamiya red...nobody is accusing you of using liquid lipstick Magenta... :p:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You know, I still have that Magenta paint. Haven't used it for anything else though. Of course, now it's so old and dried out that it's more like eyeshadow or soemthing. :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've always suspected that for finding the best color match for a Valk one have to consult a Revlon catalogue.

BTW: do you think that the base color is plain white or light pink? Bandai instructions indicates white but the box art seems to imply a light pink overall with Magenta accents. I prefer white since is easier (I've painted mine with Krylon spray) Does anybody has a screen capture of the MAXL in all its...glory :unsure: ???

Here's my VF-19S, all I did with it was spray paint it black, and use the yellow foil stickers. I wanted to use the white ones but they didn't give me any. The rifle it has is the rifle to my 20th Annaversary MG Zeta Gundam.

D'oh, had to re-size it...

Damn you can see where I ran out of paint...

post-3-1063925717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Druna Skass