PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

gamespot has a hands on preview of the PSP.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-11721-1274-4-4-x

I'll most likely wait and see what games are coming out before I buy a PSP. The Nintendo DS I wasn't too impressed with so I'll be passing on that for the moment. While I never had a problem with either my first generation PSX or PS2(my 30001 still works) I might wait for Sony to get the bugs out of PSP.

I've been bitten by Sony, but not too bad. I didn't get a PS1 until about a year after it released, and that one had overheating issues, but the one I got after it lived up until modern times. As for my PS2, I had one at launch day, and it was fine until recently. This past summer, it was playing MOST things fine, but it'd occasionaly have problems with CD-ROM PS2 games (it was still fine with PS1 games). I wasn't taking any chances, though. I dumped that thing and bought a pre-modded one.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I'd like to believe that Sony's had enough headaches over QC issues in their computer entertainment division, and that they're working harder to insure that newer PS2 (the slim one comes with a one year warranty instead of the old 90 days), PSP, and PS3 will all be less... fragile.

Anyway, before the DS came out, I had no interest in the PSP. It's a slick-looking handheld that mostly plays games I already have for PS2 and movies I don't feel like buying again on UMD, all on a ridiculously short batterly life. But now that I have a DS, and while I'm still far more interested in the DS than the PSP, I am a little more curious about Sony's handheld. I think that, for the most part, the DS will have better and more innovative games... but there are some games (like racing games, for example) that the PSP will just do better. The difference is in my picks for launch games... Feel the Magic for DS, and (I know it's going to miss launch in Japan, but I think it'll make launch here) Need for Speed Underground Rivals for PSP.

I may get this since my Sony experiences have been good. PS1 still runs fine. PS2, 1st Gen still up and running. Started getting a little glitchy with DVD movies and games so I took it apart, cleaned out the dust and wiped the lens. Now runs just as smoothly as when I first got it 4(or is it now 5?) years ago.

What's gonna get me to buy a handheld (besides my beloved NGPC) is the games. So far nothing on either DS or PSP have really caught my attention.

Is battery life really a huge issue? When I think about when and where I'd be using mine I think:

In the car. They make a car adapater and battery life is no problem.

Somewhere besides my house (airports, someone else's house, etc.). Lots of places have power outlets.

In the plane, now here's the only place I can come up with that I might have a problem.

I'm looking at the PSP as the "desktop replacements" of gaming consoles.

well i have a first gen ps1, and it works just fine. though my first gen ps2 has had numeral problems mostly involving dvds. my roommates ps2 over heats and a friend of mine has a ps2 that only runs certain games.. all first gen.

i'm not saying all of sonys first gen stuff is bad, but they have a spoty track record. thats all i'm saying.

i have a working snes, atari 2600 (thats the # right?), game boy (original) and even a working powerglove and super scope. so i know its not me taking bad care of my stuff.

lets see if i can make the ultimat "heated" statement:

playstation is like all God fearing, republican, Ford driving, P.C. using people.

nintendo is like all bleeding heart, democrat, Chevy driving, Macintosh using people.

that ought to stir things up a bit

playstation is like all God fearing, republican, Ford driving, P.C. using people.

nintendo is like all bleeding heart, democrat, Chevy driving, Macintosh using people.

ah just stick to PSP discussion. thank you and drive through ;)

Is battery life really a huge issue? When I think about when and where I'd be using mine I think:

Somewhere besides my house (airports, someone else's house, etc.). Lots of places have power outlets.

In the plane, now here's the only place I can come up with that I might have a problem.

Do you think they should remove the word "portable" then? :p Sure there are many place that have power outlet, but carrying that thing and a power plug everywhere you go? :blink:

Do you think they should remove the word "portable" then? :p Sure there are many place that have power outlet, but carrying that thing and a power plug everywhere you go? :blink:

Battery life and size are both important in portables. Sure, many places have outlets, but in most cases they can be difficult or even impossible to get to. Also, the PSP is already larger than the DS by itself, and people complain the DS is too large, having to carry around an external battery and a bunch of plugs can make it a hassle to take anywhere with you. I had that problem with my Game Gear.

Now just a cotton-picking minute here! I'm a Republican, and I use a PC. But I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Ford. I'm talking, I'd rather walk than drive a Ford (of couse, if I was driving a Ford, I'd end up walking most of the time anyway, but at least if I'd planned to just walk instead, I wouldn't have to worry about having to have the damn Ford towed...).

Not a big fan of Chevy, either. In my eyes, almost as unreliable as Ford. I only drive Japanese cars.

Battery life and size are both important in portables. Sure, many places have outlets, but in most cases they can be difficult or even impossible to get to. Also, the PSP is already larger than the DS by itself, and people complain the DS is too large, having to carry around an external battery and a bunch of plugs can make it a hassle to take anywhere with you. I had that problem with my Game Gear.

The PSP is really almost useless as a movie player, considering the battery life in movie mode.

As a portable... I think 4-6 hours is alright. I mean, if you're flying out of the US, the battery life is probably too short for the plane ride. But for the most part, I've never played a videogame for more than an hour or two oustide of my home. Even if you find yourself playing for four hours in one day, you go home and charge it, and you're good to go for the next day.

Are they gonna have recordable versions of that disk? I just can't see myself having to buy my movie collection over again for something that has a 5 year lifespan. It'd be cool to burn some downloaded animes though or something short like that.

The PSP is really almost useless as a movie player, considering the battery life in movie mode.

As a portable... I think 4-6 hours is alright. I mean, if you're flying out of the US, the battery life is probably too short for the plane ride. But for the most part, I've never played a videogame for more than an hour or two oustide of my home. Even if you find yourself playing for four hours in one day, you go home and charge it, and you're good to go for the next day.

yah pretty much; with portable dvd player prices dropping and those other movie players like juicebox, video now, ect... psp would be hard press to use that as a selling point.

For mp3s i dont like the idea of either buying a music disc for it or filling up your memory stick to play music it might not leave much for game saves or bring more memory sticks.

basicly its going to come down to games that will force it to sink or swim.

Battery life should last longer but then we dont want a large battery bar to attach to the sucker to extend play time.

I have First Gen PS1 and PS2 and had zero problems.

Alot of people just don't know how to take care of their systems.

I still my Atari 2600, Nintendo, Genesis, Supernintendo, etc, all working in perfect condition.

Man, I've talked to you about that before. I still say you are very lucky. Most of Sony's consoles do die no matter how well you took care of them 18-24 months in their life. Some die alot sooner. I had 2 PS2s taht I took care of religiously. Just like you I have almost every console since my Atari 2600 and all work like brand new (even have cleaning days spread out during the year dediacted solely for consoles). That didn't stop my PS2s from dying. On the other hand Sony does sometime make systems that last like my first gen PSX which was modded and dropped twice by friends (my punishment for taking it out of my house). Yet, it's still working just fine.

I'm definately getting a PSP when it comes out tho cuz Sony would have to be really stupid to screw up a handheld.

Edited by Jemstone

Are they gonna have recordable versions of that disk? I just can't see myself having to buy my movie collection over again for something that has a 5 year lifespan. It'd be cool to burn some downloaded animes though or something short like that.

knowing sony i really doubt unless some rogue china factory produces illeagal recorders and disc (very expensive).

I really don't see the point of the PSP playing movies. What's going to entice the buyer to buy a movie they already own DVD? Short clips etc I can understand but who'd wanna watch the Lord of the Rings or Spider-Man on a PSP lol

I have First Gen PS1 and PS2 and had zero problems.

Alot of people just don't know how to take care of their systems.

I still my Atari 2600, Nintendo, Genesis, Supernintendo, etc, all working in perfect condition.

Man, I've talked to you about that before. I still say you are very lucky. Most of Sony's consoles do die no matter how well you took care of them 18-24 months in their life. Some die alot sooner. I had 2 PS2s taht I took care of religiously. Just like you I have almost every console since my Atari 2600 and all work like brand new (even have cleaning days spread out during the year dediacted solely for consoles). That didn't stop my PS2s from dying. On the other hand Sony does sometime make systems that last like my first gen PSX which was modded and dropped twice by friends (my punishment for taking it out of my house). Yet, it's still working just fine.

I'm definately getting a PSP when it comes out tho cuz Sony would have to be really stupid to screw up a handheld.

I don't understand what you are talking about. You say most of Sony's consoles, but they've only made two consoles so far right? And you say the PSX works just fine. So, by your reckoning, most of Sony's consoles, 50% of their consoles, or in other words 1 out of their 2 consoles die within 18-24 months?

I've got a first gen PS and PS2, and it's been way more than two years with no problems. Most of my friends have a PS2 and only one died and that was because the idiot was running it while it was sitting on the carpet.

Anyway, I'm going to pick one up in January, because I need another peice of man-crap.

Anyone know when is it going to be released in North America?

That's just it, though, I seriously do not believe it will last 4-6 hours. Sony's track record gives me reason to believe they might be exaggerating (read as: outright lying) about some of their technical specs. If it is 4-6 hours, that's not too bad for many people, I suppose. Too short for me though. I'm guessing it's more along the lines of 2-4 hours.

I hope Sony proves me wrong. Don't think for a moment I want Nintendo to have unrivaled control of the handheld market. That market is more important to me than the home console market, since I do most of my gaming when I'm not at home. A little competition would push Nintendo to make better games and systems for that market, and I'm all for that.

ah just stick to PSP discussion. thank you and drive through ;)

...and just to skew the conversation for a sec more, because Repulicans are associated more with "conservative", whouldn't that fall in line more with Nintendo, the older, family-strong system?

Anyways, is anyone so desperate for it to import? It is all-region, after all. Gamespot has a review of it up, no battery-life details, but it takes >3hr to charge.

LOL! nice one yellowlightman.

On another note:

"Please note that a limitation that suppliers have imposed on the launch of the PSP is that they will not accept any returns on PSPs that have dead pixel problems due to the supply shortages. We are not sure why they made a point to stipulate this particular issue but there may be rumors of excessive dead pixel problems on PSP machines amongst the distros. We just don't know at this time. We will clarify this policy to all of our customers in an email that we will send out on Monday once we have had time to digest and sift through the first reports from Japan that will be sent to us on Saturday." :blink:

Nintendo will exchange a new one if you have a dead pixel within 5 days, they even pay for the shipping cost and this is when there's a DS shortage as well ;)

hearing about the dead pixle thing for awhile but i belive its not the power issues from the psp or ... ds. I belive since there was a lcd shortage awhile ago they might have got some screens from a company with less than perfect quality control.

Sony's saying March... but remember, this is the same Sony that said that Gran Turismo 4 would be out like a year ago...

Speaking of GT4, I played a demo of it at Laox the other day...have to say it was pretty good.

post-26-1102723155_thumb.jpg

Sony's saying March... but remember, this is the same Sony that said that Gran Turismo 4 would be out like a year ago...

Speaking of GT4, I played a demo of it at Laox the other day...have to say it was pretty good.

DSCN1290.JPG

she's hot

sweet jeesus!!!! So when is it coming stateside? Anyone know if it will be region locked? or will it be like Gameboy and be regionless?

as of now the games will be region free but the movies will be region encoded.

and I think the US launch is in March

Edited by dejr8bud

And the problem reports start rolling in:

from slashdot

Reports are coming in that the initial shipment of PSP units is seeing some defective units getting to the public.

These defects include:

# Dead pixels, as many as 3 per screen with the problem. 

# Broken UMD drives.

# Analog nubs not working. Sony has yet to make any official announcement about any of these issues, and about how users with any of these problems can recitfy them.

Be sure to check back for Sony's response to these issues. UPDATE: More problems ahoy!

# Analog nubs not just not working, but actually falling off.

# PSP is turned on, but does not start up.

# Screen has air bubbles. Screen has dust on the inside.

Also, as for the UMD drive problems, some have reported the drive not closing completely, and the UMD, when the PSP is twisted, actually flies out!

Most retailers are stressing the fact that these problems don't occur in the majority of PSPs, but take caution in importing until Sony gives an official announcement.

"Dead pixels, as many as 3 per screen with the problem." Remember their no return for X dead pixels business? Here you go.

I think Nintendo just scored an Ace in the hole with their own worry free release compared to this.

Edited by Anubis

And the problem reports start rolling in:

from slashdot

Reports are coming in that the initial shipment of PSP units is seeing some defective units getting to the public.

These defects include:

# Dead pixels, as many as 3 per screen with the problem. 

# Broken UMD drives.

# Analog nubs not working. Sony has yet to make any official announcement about any of these issues, and about how users with any of these problems can recitfy them.

Be sure to check back for Sony's response to these issues. UPDATE: More problems ahoy!

# Analog nubs not just not working, but actually falling off.

# PSP is turned on, but does not start up.

# Screen has air bubbles. Screen has dust on the inside.

Also, as for the UMD drive problems, some have reported the drive not closing completely, and the UMD, when the PSP is twisted, actually flies out!

Most retailers are stressing the fact that these problems don't occur in the majority of PSPs, but take caution in importing until Sony gives an official announcement.

"Dead pixels, as many as 3 per screen with the problem." Remember their no return for X dead pixels business? Here you go.

I think Nintendo just scored an Ace in the hole with their own worry free release compared to this.

Seems like Sony is already lagging behind against Nintendo's DS.

ooookaaay...

naturally all of these problems will be resolved by the March US release and its not like kids haven't been returning they're DS's because of burned out pixels too..

my man Tim Rogers wrote an excellent article on the PSP here: http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3548

read it, get excited.

ooookaaay...

naturally all of these problems will be resolved by the March US release and its not like kids haven't been returning they're DS's because of burned out pixels too..

my man Tim Rogers wrote an excellent article on the PSP here: http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3548

read it, get excited.

Good article. B))