PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

Doesn't someone here actually have a Virtual Boy? :unsure:

Anyway, good article. Makes fun of the DS a little much though.

and rightly so.

A matter of personal preference.

Metroid looks pretty cool. The stylus could have an advantage in a number of games.

Likewise the PSP (a working one :p ) has it's own advantages.

Doesn't matter to me personally though since I'm not buying either in the forseeable future. (I still keep up on the news though.)

well maybe the PSP games are not region free after all..

http://www.techjapan.com/modules.php?op=mo...article&sid=740

Maybe the region coding will be based on developer's preference wether it goes R2 only or not?

and rightly so.

A matter of personal preference.

Metroid looks pretty cool. The stylus could have an advantage in a number of games.

Likewise the PSP (a working one :p ) has it's own advantages.

Doesn't matter to me personally though since I'm not buying either in the forseeable future. (I still keep up on the news though.)

yeah.. those pesky buttons are so hard to mash, I'd much rather play my video games with a tiny plastic stick.. :p

well maybe the PSP games are not region free after all..

http://www.techjapan.com/modules.php?op=mo...article&sid=740

im not surprised, thats like one of the standard copy protection sony does. Guess need to wait awhile to get a mod chip so you can play those HK bootlegs that will come out.

I think Nintendo just scored an Ace in the hole with their own worry free release compared to this.

Many have reported problems with the bottom screen of their DS being cloudy (blurry) looking after compariing it with other DS units. Nintendo gave them a refurb replacement instead of a brand new unit.

DS bottom screen fuzzy after comparison

Not exactly "worry free release" in my book.

By the way... check out this perfect scam. Read the end of the 3rd paragraph in the auction description

PSP *order info* auctioned for $501

Here's some auctions on ebay...some are legit and some are scams.. either way the pricing is ridiculous. Wait a few weeks people.

http://search.ebay.com/sony-psp_W0QQsofocu...osortpropertyZ2

For the prices listed on the first page I rather get a laptop.

I love those ones that are for "Informational documents on how to get a PSP quicker and cheaper." Here's a tip on getting one cheaper... don't spend $30 on a document!

• 1 month later...
I guess you won't find "design flaw" in his dictionary...

i still want to get one when it comes out by then they should have any flaws fixed. only problem for me is the new Castlevania based on Aria of Sorrow has been announced for the DS not the PSP like they said <_< hopefully they will make one for it as well, by the way Jolly Rogers that has to be the best new Avatar I have seen in a while. :)

Edited by zeo-mare

I was laughing my ass off when i heard about people who broke their psp by using the fake update.

now this too.

If I decided to get one (I don't play handheld games anymore) I'll wait for the new gameboy or psp2 :p

that mario ava is insane.

A little skimming through IGN turned up their own experiences with the system. Now, I don't trust IGN's reviews all that much anymore, but I doubt they'd screw up on testing the battery life. They say the PSP battery(wich apparently got a reworking wich pushed back the initial release plans) gets about 5 hours of gameplay. That's not great, but also not too terrible. I imagine it would do most people just fine.

Now if they only had some games...

only problem for me is the new Castlevania based on Aria of Sorrow has been announced for the DS not the PSP like they said <_< hopefully they will make one for it as well, by the way Jolly Rogers that has to be the best new Avatar I have seen in a while. :)

Don`t be so sure HE HE HE :D

http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/dungeon.htm

Enter Last updated: 1/23/05 HE HE HE !

BTW Rogers nice avatar, I wish it was Bowser :)

Wow, the DS is sounding better everyday.
Now if only [the PSP] had some games...

No offense... but are you guys insane? I've had a DS since it came out. Two and a half months later, and the best games for it are STILL Feel the Magic and Mr. Driller. I'm looking to pick up Wario Ware, the new Super Mario Bros, and Castlevania, and that's it for the WHOLE YEAR. I had really high hopes for the DS, being that I loved the GBA, but Nintendo is showing more and more everyday how out of touch they are with consumers. At this point, I'd love for them to get out of the hardware market so I can quit buying their crappy systems just for the first party stuff.

Meanwhile, the PSP... I've played one of the Japanese units for a little bit, and I didn't experience any problems with any of the buttons. The battery life isn't stellar, but when was the last time you sat down and played a handheld for five hours straight without ever being near a spot you could plug it in and recharge it? The screen is more than double the size of the GBA or DS's screens, and the PSP is capable of better visuals to boot. And yes, while better visuals do not equate to better gameplay, so far the DS has got mostly touch-screen mini-games. The PSP isn't even out, and it already has more better games.

Just at launch, I'm looking to get Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Need for Speed Underground Rivals, and WipEout Pure. I'd also love to get my hands on Ridge Racers, Untold Legends, and down the road, Gran Turismo 4 Mobile. Hell, Lumines even looks better than anything the DS had at launch.

Sony referring to the sometimes problematic and less sensitive square button, due to it being positioned so closely to the screen:

"Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

Uh... there'd be plenty of criticism if the gate was difficult to open and gets stuck on a regular basis.

-Al

No offense... but are you guys insane?

I don't think either system has very many games out or announced that sound all that great. I also don't plan on buying either system until that changes, there's still plenty of great looking GBA games I haven't tried yet. Also, I tend not to judge games completely until they're actually out, so while one could say the PSP has several games on the roster that look appealing, we won't know how good they are until we've seen them in action. Though, personally, I've seen only about as many appealing looking games as the DS has in its lineup.

As for battery life, well I can only speak for myself and I will be the first to admit that my situation is uncommon, but with a 5 hour battery life I'd be draining the PSP dry every night I took it to work, without any place to recharge it until I got home.

As for battery life, well I can only speak for myself and I will be the first to admit that my situation is uncommon, but with a 5 hour battery life I'd be draining the PSP dry every night I took it to work, without any place to recharge it until I got home.

You could play games at work? I work at a Gamestop, and I can't even play games for five hours straight at work! You gotta hook me up with that kind of job!

only problem for me is the new Castlevania based on Aria of Sorrow has been announced for the DS not the PSP like they said <_<  hopefully they will make one for it as well, by the way Jolly Rogers that has to be the best new Avatar I have seen in a while. :)

Don`t be so sure HE HE HE :D

http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/dungeon.htm

Enter Last updated: 1/23/05 HE HE HE !

BTW Rogers nice avatar, I wish it was Bowser :)

To lazy to check <_<

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0501/game050125a.shtml