Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

this is torture

finish the mod already

please?

Muahahahahahah...

But I enjoy torture so much...

Seriously though, everyone should know that we still stand where we still stand. It will be done when it's done.

The good news is, that it may even be this century!

The legs look out out of place since they're just overscaled Rau legs slapped onto my design...

and FYI for any visitors, Lestat wants a design that can land on asteroids...the freefloater didn't cut it apparently. I'm currently working on another one that I'll post in the design thread on this board.

Yes, take a look at the new legs in the design thread. We want the four-legged model I reckon. A few things I want to see changed on the existing model:

1. Scale the dead down to about 30% of its existing size.

2. Scale the rearward storage area by almost 150%! It's not large enough.

In the end it should look like a giant bloated metalic tick!

;)

On a side note, here are some of the Map things that Evillejedi as he is known is working on for us, you'll have to excuse the Starwars ships as he is making his own mod as well.

Jupiter and one of its many moons.

ss00384.jpg

Mars

ss00385.jpg

Venus (will make an apearance in multiplayer only)

ss00381.jpg

Saturn (Still has a few kinks to work out in the rings)

ss00377.jpg

Edited by The_Major

Can't fault those maps orgins, being taken from anything less then a 4k version is a pity. But I can complain about the continued lack of simple NURBS support! :angry: Those planets would look soooooo much better rounded.

NURBS are overrated. :p

Except many more updates this week, as now finals are over and I am on break (which means more time to get ships in-game)

Three more ships in now:

Zjentohlauedy "Moluqe" Automated Mineral Pod (animated)

Regult LMC

Regult HMC

Nupetiet-Vergnitzs is currently being rigged (weapons). Screens to follow soon - once effects for the new ships are tweaked, so that they can be shown more completely.

The Zjentohlauedy have just gone from being the weakest race in-game to the most powerful.

nv1.jpg

nv2.jpg

Please note that the effects are completely temporary (stock HW2 ion effects) - I haven't had time to do the effects yet because prepping the NV took so long (and I had problems getting it in... something to do with the engines, I found out. Maybe HW2 doesn't like having 16 engine points?)

Also still needs animation in addition to effects.

curious- how many guns will the nupetiet have? all resources say there are too many to count, so i was just interested in how that would balance/unbalance things

The Zen ships generally always carry more then 100 weapons and sometimes going over 600! The NUP have 4 hugh beam weapons, but hundreds of missile and smaller beam weapon placements.

It's gonna be a fine balancing act to get most of the ships "playable" anyhow.

Good work Cdr Fokker!

Currently the NV has 64 standard beam cannon emplacements, 28 SAM emplacements, 4 main beam cannons, and its main gun. However, that's just because it is incredibly boring to rig ships for weapons. It will have several hundred total gun emplacements in the "final" version (total meaning beam cannon, SAM, and AAA).

Some thoughts on "balancing":

1) Regults can't inflict much damage on capital ships. Valkyries can (RMS-1s).

2) Zjentohlauedy capital ships may be big and bad - but you can't requisition huge numbers at will (okay, so the actual Zjent fleet is huge - but the game is dealing with small-scale fleets to begin with; and so why would Zjent "HQ" send loads of ships to deal with something considered "small"?) And even if they are requisitioned, you have to wait until they arrive from who-knows-where.

3) On the other side of things, Regults are extremely cheap and abundant. But they aren't as versitale as Valkyries, nor are they well armored.

3) Zjent cap ships are big - very big. Very big things become harder to turn to bear all weapons.

4) UNS = reaction weaponry.

5) Zjent = no repairing. UNS = repair at will.

Things tend to work themselves out, like they should. People always get way too caught up in "balance". True balance includes more than just the damage and armor of units; it revolves around tactics and skill as well.

I was under the impression that the Gunship was a smaller ship (Maybe ARMD/Oberth size). As it stands now it looks like the Gunship is the largest human space vehicle ever produced.

This of course excludes the SDF-1, which was not built by earth but instead refitted back to operational and human standards.

thinking up some designs for the Melts. I'm planning on making alts for your concepts Lestat, as they look too much like their Zjent counterparts ('Specially the cyclops...) Since I'm hoping for racial diversity between the Melts and Zents (as much as possible anyway) I'll try making a counter to it..

...unless the model's already done... :(

And now that I'm free from my hassle classes things should get easier.

I was under the impression that the Gunship was a smaller ship (Maybe ARMD/Oberth size). As it stands now it looks like the Gunship is the largest human space vehicle ever produced.

Well, a few things:

1) It just makes it the longest; the main portion of the ship is only around 260 m long - the rest is just the main gun.

2) It has to house and provide power, control, etc for the big gun.

It's another one of Lestat's, so we'll have to await any more explanation from him.

This is going to be cool when it's finally released.

Yes I'd like to hear Lestat's explaination. I could get into a prolonged discussion about the main guns on the Macross and how humanity could try to replicate them, but I think I'll skip that. I will say though that the ARMD held smaller engines and seemingly smaller crew space despite the fact that it was a space carrier.

A very cramped one.

Anyway I don't have much of a problem with the gunship- I just hope it fits well into canon. I suppose Gunship is an appropreate name also, but it looks like a cruiser-sized vessel (I think of the SDF-1 as a battleship, Dreadnought or just in it's own class).

Are there any other ships longer/bigger than the gunship other than the SDF-1?

the megaroad's pretty big- 5200m, then again it's a colonist refit built to house 80,000 civilians alone.

other than that during the spacewar i era, i can't think of anything in the UN fleet that big. but that's not even in the DYRL timeline.

Well, let's say that the top secret information and encounters with AFOS enabled UN Spacy scientists to fully grasp the potential of Buster Beam technology. The size of the ship is to some degree irrelevant, aside from the potential width of the beam - as demonstrated by the AFOS, even a smaller craft is capable of such destructive power.

Of course, UN Scientists were unable to duplicate a buster beam on such a small scale, but 600 metres was considered a successful accomplishment.

Buster beams draw energy from an extradimensional space - i.e. hyperspace - so the potential amount of energy they can draw is in theory limited only by the capacity to contain and harness it before firing.

Zjentohlauedy (protoculture) technologies demonstrate the portablity of the Buster cannon, as seen on the Heavy Assault Attack Craft. This design clearly shows that the beam technology is not limited only to massive craft - the design itself however is limited by its extradimensional energy capacity; it's only about 100 metres long and not fold capable.

The UN Gunboat is both fold capable and six times the length of the HAAC. It is capable of drawing about half as much extradimensional energy as the macross.

that makes for some uneasy battles with lots of small frigates firing weapons which are way too powerful. curious, i'd think that the sdf-1 buster cannon is weaker than the nupetiet's. is that so? and by how much?

also, does hw2 allow ships to multi-target enemies? i remember playing the hw1 mod and getting annoyed when my sdf-1 would pivot like 180 degrees to fire its full arnament at a stupid regult.

also, does hw2 allow ships to multi-target enemies? i remember playing the hw1 mod and getting annoyed when my sdf-1 would pivot like 180 degrees to fire its full arnament at a stupid regult.

HW2 allows for different attack stances - that is, different attack patterns against different ships. For example, all capital ships will not bother moving at all when attacking fighters, but will move appropriately to bring guns to bear on other capital ships. And multiple targets can be under fire at once.

I should probably go play around with CIWS again, too.

yeah i was going to mention that mod.

it would be awesome to see millions of tracer rounds coming from the sdf-1, repelling wave after wave of regults

yeah i was going to mention that mod.

it would be awesome to see millions of tracer rounds coming from the sdf-1, repelling wave after wave of regults

?

What mod?

There already are a good number of tracers coming from the Cal against incoming Regults and Dejuuls. Once I get CIWS emplacements working a bit better, I'll put some of them on the UNS ships as well.

sorry i'm crazy.

i thought you said hw2 PDS mod. the point defense sys was the first to put lots of machine guns on all the ships in hw2.

CIWS are phalanxes and such, right? so they should have the same effect as what i saw in PDS?

sorry i'm crazy.

i thought you said hw2 PDS mod. the point defense sys was the first to put lots of machine guns on all the ships in hw2.

CIWS are phalanxes and such, right? so they should have the same effect as what i saw in PDS?

CIWS - Close-In Weapon System(s)

Primarily used for anti-missile defenses; the CIWS Phalanx is pretty well-known.

Last I knew, nobody had CIWS fully working. I have it close, but it doesn't work as often for player-controlled ships (works great on the CPU ships, though... which isn't too much fun.)

I'd imagine all buster weaponary is proportional in power to its physical size - i.e. the bigger the gun, the more extradimensional energy can be channelled = more physical power = more damage.

In theory, even a Zjentohlauedy gundestroyer is more powerful than the macross (as it is in its entirety a buster cannon - more or less, over 60% of the hull is devoted to the weapon).

And so yes, the nupetiet vergnitzs is more powerful.

However, we have to think about balance. In reality, it was other things that allowed the macross to survive. The first was that it was originally wanted for capture. The second was that its onboard culture and music saved it.

In reality, mecha for mecha, it should have been pulverised.