Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

lol you guys are cruel; i'm running a 1.6 ghz (yes that's right) p4. but in not so long, i'll have a q6600, but the p4 upgrade is not such a thing to frown upon, especially since you can buy one for 80 bucks these days.

lol you guys are cruel; i'm running a 1.6 ghz (yes that's right) p4. but in not so long, i'll have a q6600, but the p4 upgrade is not such a thing to frown upon, especially since you can buy one for 80 bucks these days.

hehe, sorry :p My current inspiron 6000 isn't much better, so it's not like I'm screaming along in some quad monster either.

It was a joke :p

...my god I can't wait to install HW2 on my new P4 system in a weeks time :9

Protip: Sell/scrap/reduce your Grand Fleet just a handful of frigates before each mission ends, otherwise you're in for a world of hurt...

Protip: Sell/scrap/reduce your Grand Fleet just a handful of frigates before each mission ends, otherwise you're in for a world of hurt...

why would you do that? I can see selling off/scraping enemy ships you've caught but there's no reason to get rid of nice capital ships, especially the ones with upgrades.

why would you do that? I can see selling off/scraping enemy ships you've caught but there's no reason to get rid of nice capital ships, especially the ones with upgrades.

Well, I'm probably going to spoil the whole thing for him by saying this...

The computer's fleet size in the current mission is based on what you jumped out with in the last mission, and it's always tailored to make it an overwhelming fight, *based on what you had last mission*. So, if you end the mission with say.... two dreadnaughts, a carrier, and countless frigs and fighters/bombers, you'll be greeted in the next mission with eight enemy dreadnaughts, three carriers, and hundreds of smaller vessels.

So imagine if you pulled a Tannhauser Gate in HW2 (ie capture each and every single ship in that sphere in HW1), you'll be looking at whatever you have x4.... fun fun.

Edited by Akilae

huh! I never caught on to that. I always went into the next mission full up of capital ships and corvettes!

I did that too, until that one mission where you had to protect the mothership from three or four different directions at once. Then again, I probably just suck, lol.

Argh. Despite installing HW2, the ver of DirectX and DivX on the cd *AND* the latest patch, I cannot for the life of me get the game to boot. :blink:

I wouldn't ask here, but the Sierra forums are dead and I can't find an answer. I do however get a .log in the directory with the .exe and the contents are as follows:

Thu Aug 09 09:08:59 2007

Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big'

Loaded Archive: 'english.big'

Uing ..profiles\ for profiles folder

Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (5.1 build 2600), Service Pack 1

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, or have missed, please by all means let me know. Please? I'm asking nice :)

EDIT: This is a pic of the PRE-Installation message I got/get. I hope its relevant.

EDIT 2: I've got Admin level access, so I know its not that.

post-3123-1186669323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Winter Tw Wolf

Argh. Despite installing HW2, the ver of DirectX and DivX on the cd *AND* the latest patch, I cannot for the life of me get the game to boot. :blink:

I wouldn't ask here, but the Sierra forums are dead and I can't find an answer. I do however get a .log in the directory with the .exe and the contents are as follows:

Thu Aug 09 09:08:59 2007

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, or have missed, please by all means let me know. Please? I'm asking nice :)

EDIT: This is a pic of the PRE-Installation message I got/get. I hope its relevant.

Self explanatory.. you need admin privileges to install/run the game properly. I think...

But usually if that warning pops up, then it's best to play as admin. Try to reinstall and play as admin and see if it works.

I do have Admin access. o.O

lol, k, back to basics then.

first take a look at the relic forums here: click me!!

It's a treasure trove of HW2 help related stuff. If the stuff listed there doesn't work then we'll see what we can do to help.

Or you can also just ask uberjumper on the relic forums. Generally he knows more about HW and HW2 than any other person. Not trying to shove the problem to somebody else, but uberjumper will be able to help you get the game up and running faster :p

Edited by Akilae

It's a treasure trove of HW2 help related stuff. If the stuff listed there doesn't work then we'll see what we can do to help.

I failed to find anything relating to my issue. I get the impression that this issue is either very uncommon, or unique to my computer. Odd...

I've fired off a help ticket to Sierra, but have been given no response as yet...

...maybe I should stick to old DOS games >.>

EDIT: Nice ninja edit, Aki XD

Edited by Winter Tw Wolf

I failed to find anything relating to my issue. I get the impression that this issue is either very uncommon, or unique to my computer. Odd...

I've fired off a help ticket to Sierra, but have been given no response as yet...

...maybe I should stick to old DOS games >.>

I wouldn't expect Sierra to do anything, they're the ones that drove HW into the ground after all, lol.

Well, let's see what we can do then.

What's happening? Black screen? CTD? Blue screen?

System specs?

I wouldn't expect Sierra to do anything, they're the ones that drove HW into the ground after all, lol.

Owie.

Sys specs:

3200+(2.200GHz) AMD Athalon XP CPU

512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM

160 GB 7200RPM HD

NVIDIA GeForce-4 MX Graphics(64mb)

WinXP Pro(Sp1 Fresh install)

The game when I click on it, goes to a black screen like its loading then RIGHT back to my desktop.

Owie.

Sys specs:

3200+(2.200GHz) AMD Athalon XP CPU

512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM

160 GB 7200RPM HD

NVIDIA GeForce-4 MX Graphics(64mb)

WinXP Pro(Sp1 Fresh install)

The game when I click on it, goes to a black screen like its loading then RIGHT back to my desktop.

Reflex would be something to do with your video card. What version video drivers are you using?

Reflex would be something to do with your video card. What version video drivers are you using?

Unknown at this time. I'm posting away from my home comp at the moment. Does the Hw2.log I posted hold any hints as to the problem...?

I'm currently downloading the newest drivers for my card from NVIDIA. "ForceWare Release 90" version 93.71 WHQL.

Edited by Winter Tw Wolf

Unknown at this time. I'm posting away from my home comp at the moment. Does the Hw2.log I posted hold any hints as to the problem...?

I'm currently downloading the newest drivers for my card from NVIDIA. "ForceWare Release 90" version 93.71 WHQL.

you might want to also post the error.txt file. Supposedly the two are a pair.

See if the lastest forceware works.

There's an 'error.txt' file? :wacko:

*Feelin' stupid*

Yeah well... unless you go looking for it there's no reason for you to know about it, lol.

So I dug around the relic forums. 90% it's something wrong with your video card. Update drivers and usually it goes away. HW2 is very picky about video cards. No idea how it reacts to a GF4-MX, but in theory it should work.

Worst comes to worst, see how this works. Edit your HW2 shortcut on the desktop to look something like this:

"C:\program files\Sierra\Homeworld2\bin\release\Homeworld2.exe " -noVBO -noDisplayLists -nopbuffer

the game will look like butt, but if all fails it will be your best bet.

Oh, and make sure your desktop is set to 32-bit.

Worst comes to worst, see how this works. Edit your HW2 shortcut on the desktop to look something like this:

"C:\program files\Sierra\Homeworld2\bin\release\Homeworld2.exe " -noVBO -noDisplayLists -nopbuffer

the game will look like butt, but if all fails it will be your best bet.

Oh, and make sure your desktop is set to 32-bit.

My desktop is set to 32-bit and the latest drivers for my card DID produce some results. No 'error.txt' has been found or created for that matter. o.O

Here's a screenshot of what happens when I boot the game, and the newest Hw2.log file :s

Thu Aug 09 13:03:49 2007

Using NVIDIA Corporation's 1.5.7 GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU/PCI/SSE/3DNOW! renderer (Suspected driver is nvoglnt.dll 6.14.10.9371)

Loaded Archive: 'englishSpeech.big'

Loaded Archive: 'Music.big'

SOUND -- created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created

SOUND -- created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created

Build name: The Dust Wars - AutoBuild3569 - Ordered by smmatte

Built by : mrbuild

Data path : C:\PROGRA~1\Sierra\HOMEWO~1\data

Could not initialize all fragment programs. Please use the '-fragment_program 0' command line parameter

GAME -- Using player profile Player1

Resetting fp control word.

CmdLine: '-fragment_program 0'

Getting closer to playing....will try your suggestion Aki...but I'd rather not play the game without the shiny stuff :p

post-3123-1186681012_thumb.jpg

Well, might as well try what it says and do something like this:

"C:\program files\Sierra\Homeworld2\bin\release\Homeworld2.exe " -fragment_program 0

EDIT: Random thought: could you cut and paste what the path in the HW2 shortcut looks like right now? I'm assuming you haven't touched it since you installed the game... but a quick google says that error message has more to do with wrong data paths than graphics.

Edited by Akilae

My appreciation, gratitude and thanks to the people who helped me in this little predicament. After FINALY getting a response from Sierra, I've been told in a one line email that my video card isn't supported and can't run the game. Just as well, can't afford a new card now anyway. ^_^;

Oh hey, thanks for the misleading box information Sierra/Relic. I'll never buy another one of their products again.

...now to try and get my money back for this game ;_;

Edited by Winter Tw Wolf

My appreciation, gratitude and thanks to the people who helped me in this little predicament. After FINALY getting a response from Sierra, I've been told in a one line email that my video card isn't supported and can't run the game. Just as well, can't afford a new card now anyway. ^_^;

Oh hey, thanks for the misleading box information Sierra/Relic. I'll never buy another one of their products again.

...now to try and get my money back for this game ;_;

hmm.. whereabouts are you located? I actually have a Geforce 4 Ti4800 sitting around doing nothing. Want a better card for free? Nobody wants a Ti4800 these days anyway...

hmm.. whereabouts are you located? I actually have a Geforce 4 Ti4800 sitting around doing nothing. Want a better card for free? Nobody wants a Ti4800 these days anyway...

A little burg called Oshawa in Ontario, Canada.

...wow. I never expected to get an offer like this. :blink:

Aki, my messenger tags are as follows:

AIM: Winter Tw Wolf

MSN: jean_luc_cougar@hotmail.com

YiM: wintertwwolf

HIt me up or PM me if ya want. Heck. If anyone wants to gab about HW period.... :)

A little burg called Oshawa in Ontario, Canada.

...wow. I never expected to get an offer like this. :blink:

Aki, my messenger tags are as follows:

AIM: Winter Tw Wolf

MSN: jean_luc_cougar@hotmail.com

YiM: wintertwwolf

HIt me up or PM me if ya want. Heck. If anyone wants to gab about HW period.... :)

You've got PM!

• 2 weeks later...
That's my fault for making an obscure "Undergrads" reference... XD

Thanks for the bangin' card Akilae. Now to wait for the mod.....

I take it that it's arrived and it actually works? Thank goodness, after that lightning strike and all the smoke... j/k :lol:

How's HW2 so far then?