Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

Looks pretty small for a buster cannon (Monitor-sized...) The Zjent version took up the entire command ship, yet this Meltran version doesn't... hmm...

How figured out are the Protocultures? Aside from the pre-crash Gunboat are there any further designs you plan to impliment? And what's the Supervision Mothership, the gunboat?

Can you guys list what's been completed so far?

Looks pretty small for a buster cannon (Monitor-sized...) The Zjent version took up the entire command ship, yet this Meltran version doesn't... hmm...

I modelled the Nupetiet Vergnitzs also and trust me, it's big enough. The meltohlauendy version is alot wider, and it appears smaller. Besides, we know a ship as small as the medium-scale-gundestroyer can fire a powerful beam, and in general the meltohlauendy mecha appear to be of a better quality to than the zjentohlauedy (just look at the queadluun rau).

I think it's fine for the purposes.

Looking good. Though you need to discover the 'smooth group'!

Normals get screwed when I import his work into Maya to prep for HW2 export anyway, so it's of little consequence. (Not the same with your stuff, as you each use different apps and different formats)

I've been working on the VF-1... way too high in the polygons. I could only get it down to about 1070 polys, but I think it started on 1400, so that's pretty good eh?

I'm working on making it fully transformable, and geting the textures to look right.

Here's a shot in progress. There are a few places that need to be made '3d'.

post-5-1099221942_thumb.jpg

wow, lestat, its hard to belive thats the VF-1 i sent to you, supream work. its almost hard to belive its mine :-p, and 1070 is awsome, Cdr Fokker was only able to get it down to 1300 or so

That's because I'm generally unwilling to sacrifice many details, and I rely heavily upon the use of effecient LODs.

wow, lestat, its hard to belive thats the VF-1 i sent to you, supream work. its almost hard to belive its mine :-p, and 1070 is awsome, Cdr Fokker was only able to get it down to 1300 or so

That's because I'm generally unwilling to sacrifice many details, and I rely heavily upon the use of effecient LODs.

ahh i see, well then i hope you didnt take any offence from my comment as i ment nothing by it really, it just turns out you both have different modeling styles :)

Actually, I like the way things are going at the moment. For now, I find it less time consuming to start from scratch than if I have a base model that has already been mapped. From a third person perspective, it was alot easier to sacrifice polys, though I too have reached a stump - I can't bare to take any more off, even though I was aiming for 800.

I'll make up for this by modelling lower poly fast packs. There's something wrong with the tail, but I've got access to some transformation specs nanashi sent me years ago so I'll use those to make it transform alright.

Things are looking good for the mod, even without ruak. :)

All I can say is that I can't wait for this Mod to be released- if even just the ships themselves with no campaign. I'd like to run them against Hiigaran ships :D

The VF-1 looks shiny so far but again; I'll reserve judgement until I see them in action. What's completed and what isn't?

Amazing, I've been following the TC since the HW1 days and it just looks so amazing. I can't wait to try it out in HW2 (which I just discovered the joy of again) and stayed up until 5AM playing multiplayer against a friend.

Textures look sharp! I hope they're as high-res as the real game or better.

Edited by ComicKaze

Ok, in answer to your questions.

Don't worry, the VF-1 just looks shiny due to the lighting in 3D Studio MAX, it's just a render, and will not look like that in the real game, which has independant lighting.

The engines I'm going to model after the VF-0 in Zero whilst glowing.

As for texture quality in game, yes, that's the level of detail they will have, or at least, at LOD0.

Most of them are about 1000 polys wide.

Opps... I meant pixels. Sorry, just got up...

Edited by Lestat

I've done a very bodge job of animating the VF-1A, so it has most of the parts it needs to be transformable. Unfortunately, it required another few polys and is closer to the 1150 mark... :(

It still needs hands, textures on the wings and internally, and I'm going to switch the current design so that the leg swing is more accurate.

You might notice one of the wings is slightly wider than the other - I'm experimenting with it at the moment because they're way too wide in Battroid mode.

We could probably use the help of a professional animator familliar with maya (or MAX) to animate this for in game...

post-5-1099472366_thumb.jpg

With this Mod seemingly underway I'm exploring other mods out there for HW2. I must say the 'point defense mod' looks interesting. I wonder what it would be like mashing the Zentreadi against one of those ships...

Anyway, I was wondering if you would like a concept artist for the Mod. I feel I'm a talented artist, and while I don't doubt you have the Melt/Zent/UNS down I felt I would like to take a try at the Protoculture. Or I could try drawing up some unseen stuff for any of the esablished races...

Other than that, you say the ships are MP compatable with other mods? I was wondering how this would work, as it would be interesting to have crossover wars against other ships in other mods.

Keep up the good work! Most anticipated mod for me (still the only reason for hw2 to be in my house...)

Well, sure, you're welcome to come up with stuff. Ultimately if it gets used is up to the quality of your designs, and the need/priority to get them in game.

We've actually designed a number of Meltohlauendy units;

Dejuul

Heavy Assault Attack Craft

Resupply Vessel

Melt version of the 'Cyclops'

Recovery pod

Shuttle

The designs are very rough however. You could try to flesh them out, or have a crack as the supervision army.

There's a picture to draw inspiration from floating out there somewhere of a supervision fleet. It's from the TV series, used when Exedol is talking about the history of the Zjentohlauedy...

I don't suppose you could show me what you have already. I could try making new things from the ground up...

Since virtually nothing is known about the Supervision army (or protoculture...) outside of the ASS-1, the Wreakage (ASS-2?), and the Birdman(?) Would I be able to 'design' the Supervision army race? (tactics and the like).

It seems to me that the Zent and Melt focus primarily on quantity units, where the UNS has quality units. Would the Protocultures have quality units, quantity units, or both?

Given what little I know about M7 it's hard to tell. Most of the M7 Supervision army used derivatives from the failed Megaroad-13 colony. So that would mean a past supervision army would be based on what they had at the time- protoculture or Melt/zent ships.

And from what history seems to show (well, the compendium at least) the protocultures used the Zentreadi for their wars and maybe had a handful of thier own ships for use (the survey ship that landed on earth for exmaple).

In not so many words I'll draw what I can and post it to see what the general opinion is. I'm not a model maker and I'm not a coder but I am talented with pencil and paper.

[Edit: And another thing, If I start making drawings for the Supervision Army, can I assume ASS-1 is their monitor? or thier mothership?]

Edited by Boxer

ASS is simply a medium-scale gundestroyer.

As far as I understand, the supervision army is a protoculture era military that involves both full sized zjentohlauedy and actual protoculture that have been brainwashed and mind controlled by the Protodeviln.

There does exist a supervision army battlepod design, though I'm not sure where you might find it...

Nanashi would certainly have the image somewhere...

For the time being, I'm scanning my designs...

post-5-1100000386_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lestat

I like your HAAC. Very origional. I'm not too hot on the recovery pod... But the Recon and the resupply pods look like direct knock-offs of their Zentreadi counterparts (like the Dejuul is to the regult). I could probably try to sketch alternate designs, but I have other things going on, one of them ends in 2.

Anyways, I felt I shouldn't post anything until I had something to show. It's not the cleanest sketch but it's just a 'concept'

Supervision-ship.jpg

Can color it on request.

So far it's just a 'ship', no real classification (other than a cruiser) it seems to have fewer guns than the old ASS-1, but I guess the addition of anti-capital missiles makes up for it. I like the rocket clusters especially- but since you're the modelers you can use the ones from the ASS-2 wreak I suppose.

I don't know weather I should be making this for the Supervision army or the Protocultures- after all they aren't one and the same.

And on the subject of the Protoculture pod, should I PM Nanashi to see if he has it? And I don't think I've seen the picture of Exedol explaining past history- I only have DVD box 2.

time permitting I'll have more candy to show off.

Edited by Boxer

That's pretty neat. One of the things that has intrigued me about the Supervision army (and their descendants the Varauta army) is the un-originality of their designs. THe way the Varauta fighters are just re-modeled VF-14s or the way the ASS-1 is layed out exactly like the obsolete Meltrandi gunbaot design. You may want to run with that (you actually have a god start since that design looks alot like a Thuverl Salan cruiser). I've been toying with a theory for a while that the power suits at the begining of Macross Plus might be Supervision army designs (though not necesarily operated by the SA) they do share many design cues with the Varauta mecha.

In a sudden burst of inspiration I did this in the past half hour or so.

Melt-Recovery-pod.jpg

Initially I wanted the claws to be as big as the one on the alternate, but somehow the body and legs became longer. Essentially it's an upgrade of Lestat's concept art. The alt version has another set of grasping claws set on the 'forelegs' of the pod.

There's a rabbltech site out there that has Macross concept art that they don't know how to use correctly. I was thinking about adapting it to make a sort of Protoculture army and then alter it to Supervision standards (Whatever they might be).

As I was drawing the cruiser I figured the Supervision army captured and retooled some of the factory facilities producing the destroyers. Althogh the Supervision army/Varuta IS imitative, this doesn't seem to carry over to it's capital ship designs. Still, half the time I want to design Real Protoculture units and not just supervision stuff.

The only real art for the protoculture is the sunken city in DYRL, the protoculture ruins in Macross 7 and of course the AFOS, which I think gives a good idea of what protoculture ships might look like.

Though I imagine they can also probably 'mutate' some...

Remember, the Zjentohlauedy technologies are obsolete to the Protoculture by about 450,000 years...

That's a hell of a lot of time...

The design for the melt capture ship is looking pretty sweet. I definately love the legs and the main body. Not sure about the small claws though, and I'd like to see the arm joints in greater detail - I can't see how they work very well.

Looks good though. Both ships do...

Keep it up. I'd like to see colour on both.