Millenium Actress

Solscud007

My friend and I watched this yesterday. It was pretty good. It is the telling of a woman's life as an actress but more importantly her strive to find a man she met only for a brief moment. Of course in that brief/chance meeting she fell in love with him. THis was during WWII aka The 15 Year War. The man was a painter and being hounded by authorities because he was a anti-govt rebel.

These two guys one a camera man and the other a producer go to interview this actress who is now 70 years old. After her last movie (which was a sci fi film) she went into hiding and disappeared from the public she was only about 40 years old then. These two guys manage an interview with her and the Producer (who happens to be probably the biggest fan of hers) gives her a key on a string which the painter gave her and symbolized her love for him. The key brought back all the memories of her search.

The interview went by as a flashback. WE would actualy enter the world of the movie. Not the set of shooting but actualy as i the movie was real. THe interviewees were present in the world of the film as well almost as non-diagetic people. Kinda like observers who are invisible and cannot interact with the world they are in. this occurs many times we enter into a Edo period film world and then some scenes which seem like her real life are actually films she made.

This method of story telling is brilliant however it was a bit confusing to tell apart the real world from the films. Whether what is spoken in the world of the film is a apart of the movie or if she is superimposing her work over what she experienced in her life.

only later do we find out what happened to her love, the painter.

This film is well worth watching.

Edited by Solscud007