1/72 VF-1 booster launch vehicle

captain america

Hey Cap!

Things look great! You can hold on to the model as long as you need it. I'm in no hurry. I'll be excited to get it, but if it helps the cause, use it as much as you need. B))

I am getting a little worried about the price point too though. After seeing the dimensions for the launch vehicle. :huh: Are you going to be able to keep the vehicle itself around the $100 mark as well?

(Too Much Awesome Stuff To Buy) :(

Wow! That will make my Sunfang Bromry-LTR63 Trailer Truck look tiny.

They sure don't give you much to work with in the few sketches I have from my Rtech role playing game. I'm sure you will dazzle and amaze us.

I keep thinking of some kick but dioramas:

1. A crane lifting the VF/Rocket Sled onto the Launch Vehicle

2. Gantry cranes mating a VF to the Rocket Sled

3. Countdown to take-off with steam venting, etc

4. Blastoff with a pillar of black,red,orange smoke (airbrushed cotton) behind the VF/Rocket Sled

That kicks ass! Are the boosters still for sale, becuase if so I need to start saving. That will make a great display peice. I dont know if this will work, but what about trying to put something in the center of resin for the vehicle to help keep the cost down. If it where possable, you could a cheaper, but equally as strong substance to help save on the amount of resin you use. Just a thought.

Hi Agass.

I've considered loading the resin with some sort of filler, but it wouldn't really work: the cost-effective fillers, like microballoons, will actually compromise the strength of the plastic. Reinforcement fillers like aluminium or carbon fiber millings would cost as much or more than the resin itself. On the other end, I can always make the launch vehicle hulls out of fiberglass, but even with that, whatever I save on pure materials cost I lose out on layup time and longer cure time. Basically, no matter how you look at it, it's going to end up being pricy one way or another.

As for being able to get yourself a booster kit, you can simply contact Rob (Monkey-N) via PM to enquire on availability.

In addition, you can also visit the Samurai Monkey Website at

http://www.samurai-monkey.com/

Captian,

Food for thought:

Maybe you could try rotational molding to hollow out the main body. The area under the pedestal could be a separate solid piece that mounts to the bottom floor of the main body.

There's some guys I know who do rotational molding for the dinosaurs they sculpt. You grab the body of a triceratops thinking it's going to be a heavy chunk of resin but it's incredibly light. Maybe they would share with us some pics of their contraption/machine. From talking with them I got the idea that they had a rotating table and they would stop the table and re-mount the mold in different ways every couple of turns to get full coverage on the inside of the mold.

Let me know if I can help in any way...

:)

-THOR

Hi Thor.

You actually don't need a roto-casting machine, you can accomplish the same process by "tumbling" the mold manually (for a LOT cheaper, I might add). Problem is, you get uneven wall thickness, which is ok for something purely aesthetic, but definitely not good for something that you're going to plop 2lbs of resin on. Just not a suitable process for this specific model.

At any rate, the masters for the launch rail are done--TA-DA!

post-3-1098411274_thumb.jpg

By no means am I rich, but worrying about the price won't do anything to make it less.

It's not like John is jacking up the price to make a lot of money off of us, and so by continuing to be concerned about how much it will cost with the hope that John will magically lower it, is a foolhardy expectation.

It will cost what it will cost, nothing more, nothing less. If you want him to sacrifice quality so you can save a little money, then perhaps you should just buy the launch rail.

I have faith that John will do a great job, build it right so it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye, sturdy and functional, while at the same time keeping the price as reasonable as possible.

People will either be able to afford to buy what they want or they won't, but worrying or discussing it, won't make it cost any less, unless you are willing to sacrifice quality/functionality/appearance.

Keep up the great work John, and thank you!!! ;)

Hey guys!

Isn't that rail just a work of art! John never ceases to amaze me! Excellent work!

Also I just wanted to ask everyone a question. Before I start a thread for a raffle, basically do you want a raffle?

To break it down the prizes would not be as glamorus as the frist raffle.

Here is a break-down of the possible prizes.

Grand Prize: An un-completed Launch Rail.

Frist Prize: A 1/144 Scale VF-0A Battroid WF Limited

Second Prize: Hasegawa Model of the winners choosing.

Also unfortunatly we decided that if we hold a raffle this time you could not put the raffle ticket purchases towards the purchase of the rail.

So go ahead and post your thoughts on this. Let me know what you think. Raffle or no raffle.

Rob

I am looking forward to the rail and the vehicle, John's modelling skills are astounding.

On the subject of a raffle, if I have this straight you are talking about selling raffle tickets for a random chance at the three prizes above, but the raffle is essentialy independent of the pre-sale for the rail, the cost of the tickets does not go towards one's purchase of the rail, you are just buying a ticket?

If that's the case it won't have any effect on my decision to purchase the kit one way or the other, I am too stingey to spend my money on random drawings. If you are planning to do a drawing for people that pre-buy the kit at no extra cost, well that is a pretty nice little incentive to pre-order and it may get you a few extra advance orders but won't effect my decision to buy.

Good luck and keep up the good work, you guys are really doing quality work.

A raffle sounds like fun to me. Although I never win, it's still fun to try and feel envious of the people that do. ;)

I'm not sure what your motivation is for not applying the amount paid to enter the raffle towards the person's purchase.

It's really quite simple, because all you have to worry about with a raffle is at least breaking even, or in other words, selling enough tickets to cover the expense of the free prizes.

For example, I can see where if you give a way (3) different prizes valued at a total of $300, and the recipients only paid $20 each to enter, that leaves a negative balance of $240, and that money has to then be replaced from any profits earned via normal sales.

The only way to get around that is to make the ratio of dollars to raffle tickets offset. For example, if you pay $10, you only get (5) raffle tickets. That leaves $5 per each (5) raffle tickets sold to help offset the cost of any free prizes given away. The fair thing to do then is us whatever money is leftover to lower the total of each person's respective purchase.

Where there is a will, there is a way, but in the last raffle, the price of the free items being given away was not accounted for sufficiently apparently.

To be perfectly honest a raffle is not going to sway me on buying the kit or not.

For example I would have purchased the booster regardless, it's just that the raffle made the deal a little sweeter..........maybe alittle too sweet ^_^

Back to the lauch rail, I said it once and I'll say it again........son of a bitch.

Edited by Berttt

the allure of the first raffle, for me, was to have the cap build it the booster for me. That was assurance of the kit being built correctly. I would have bought it in any case, raffle or no raffle.

As for having it now, I say why not?... it doesn't hurt anyone, and free stuff is always cool.

Basically, no matter how you look at it, it's going to end up being pricy one way or another.

I understand, I would rather pay more for a well designed model, then less for a crapy one that will not be able perform the job it was designed to do. Also for the vehicle part of the launcher, are you going to include rubber tires and a clear windshield with interior detail in the cab of the vehicle? I really haven't looked at the vehicle that closely, so I don't even know if it has a windshield, but I figure it's worth asking about? Thanks again for all of your hard work. :lol:

Actually.. The launch vehicle has tank treads, not wheels/tires. Four sets.

The cockpit for the LV is actually a bubble-shaped front windscreen, and yes, it would most certainly be clear. The driver module is a sort of pod located on the right-hand front, and hard to make out since there's only one view of the whole vehicle. Nevertheless, I would produce an adequate and detailed cockpit... You guys should know by now that I don't do things half-assed :p

The driver module is a sort of pod located on the right-hand front, and hard to make out since there's only one view of the whole vehicle.

I've seen this picture before but I'm not sure where to look for it now. Could someone post it here?

Thanks,

Carl

The driver module is a sort of pod located on the right-hand front, and hard to make out since there's only one view of the whole vehicle.

I've seen this picture before but I'm not sure where to look for it now. Could someone post it here?

Thanks,

Carl

are you guys talking about this?

hey Agass

DON'T BE SUCH AN AGASS, of couse the cap only produces the best quality kits. :p

Well im sorry we can't all be as original as yourself when picking our names. I guess MinmeiDosMacross was taken. I figured that he would not cut corners when it came to quility. I guess it's a crime to inquire about something that I am interested in and excited about buying. Fine then you win, I'll stop annoying you with my questions.

Hi Guys.

I think Nightmare was just being sarcastic; no malicious intentions on his part.

On my end, I really don't mind the questions, and I'll try to answer them as straight-forewardly as possible. I would never expect someone to plunk-down money for a product sight-unseen. That's partly why Rob never accepts payment for the models until the masters are done & properly photographed.