Newbie ANSWERS thread!

I recommend waiting to see how the new 1/60 scale VF-1 Valkyrie series from Yamato turns out. From all that we know and have seen, it's looking to arguably be the best transformable rendition of the VF-1 yet in terms of a balance between looks, poseability, details, and transformation process. And it's smaller without being tiny.

Otherwise up to this point, the 1/48 VF-1 is a fantastic purchase although may be bigger than what you'd be interested in.

Some people love the Toynami 1/100 VF-1s. I don't like them so I don't own any.

Hello everyone,

Newbie to Macross here. (Hopefully I have the right thread this time! :p ) I've watched the old Macross/Robotech series as a child and I loved it. I've recently returned to collecting and I have been really interested in revisiting some of these Macross toys. I had a Valkyrie from way back when, but now there are so many different brands and models, it's kind of hard to figure out where I want to start.

I have been collecting Revoltech for a while now and I've got all the Macross ones (Valkyries and Regult), and now I want some actual transforming ones. I'm not a completionist, or scale collector, so none of that really matters to me. I am a size person, in that I don't really like huge toys clogging up my shelves. Prefer the smaller ones (articulation is important. Not interested in buying any bricks). I've been looking at Toynami's 1/100 Max and Milia Jenius Valkyries as a good place to start. I've heard the quality is pretty decent. Along with Wave's SDF-1, although the price on that one is kind of steep (wondering if it's worth it. Can grab it off Ebay for about $100 - $110). That's what actually got me really interested again, seeing that SDF-1, which I think looks fantastic, but can't make up my mind on.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'd love to hear it!

Cheers,

pud333 :D

You raise a good question there. To be honest with ya...you stand the chance of getting a large amount of various opinions on this matter. I agree with Sumdumgai that you should wait for the new v.2 1/60 scale VF-1s by Yamato to get a good sized valk. that seems to be one of the best coming out. I myself am a fan of alot of different valks. I like the 1/55 bandai Chunky Monkey, the Yamato 1/48 and I even like the Toynami 1/100s. Granted...the toynamis can be giant pieces of $hit but at the same time they can be hella fun. If you wanna try out a transformable VF-1 for cheap...then getting a toynami 1/100 is a good place to start. But PLEASE DO NOT base your opinions from then on for transformable VF-1s by that. Godd luck and welcome to Macross World.

:ph34r:

I recommend waiting to see how the new 1/60 scale VF-1 Valkyrie series from Yamato turns out. From all that we know and have seen, it's looking to arguably be the best transformable rendition of the VF-1 yet in terms of a balance between looks, poseability, details, and transformation process. And it's smaller without being tiny.

Otherwise up to this point, the 1/48 VF-1 is a fantastic purchase although may be bigger than what you'd be interested in.

Some people love the Toynami 1/100 VF-1s. I don't like them so I don't own any.

I've seen images of the 1/60 and it does look really nice. People have said it is going to be the definitive Valk, so I think I may take your advice and wait for a bit. Thanks for the input!

You raise a good question there. To be honest with ya...you stand the chance of getting a large amount of various opinions on this matter. I agree with Sumdumgai that you should wait for the new v.2 1/60 scale VF-1s by Yamato to get a good sized valk. that seems to be one of the best coming out. I myself am a fan of alot of different valks. I like the 1/55 bandai Chunky Monkey, the Yamato 1/48 and I even like the Toynami 1/100s. Granted...the toynamis can be giant pieces of $hit but at the same time they can be hella fun. If you wanna try out a transformable VF-1 for cheap...then getting a toynami 1/100 is a good place to start. But PLEASE DO NOT base your opinions from then on for transformable VF-1s by that. Godd luck and welcome to Macross World.

:ph34r:

I went to a hobby store and took a good look at the toynami 1/100s. I like the price point on these, but the quality seemed a bit weak. I think I should do a bit more searching. I think I may be better off spending a bit more for a better quality figure. Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here :D

Wait and get the 1/60 yamato. Best VF-1 so far imo.

If you like vintage toys, get the reissue chunky munky. But you said no bricks!

Avoid the toynami vf-1 robotech masterpieces.

Avoid getting superposables, since these are non-transforming.

Avoid 1/48 since these are larger than the upcoming 1/60 and what you want is to get a variety of different vf-1 for a good price. (before the new 1/60 yamato vf-1 toys, the 1/48 seemed to be a fan fave)

Avoid the 1/100 if you don't like big shoulders. These DO transform though so they ARE worth getting if you like to hold small toys in your hands.

Avoid the banprestos if you want the toys to not have parts loosely fit. (I use blutack on the joints which seems to work for their light weight and small size) These look pretty good, and are loaded with good poseability but you got to fiddle with joints and put some gummy material inside them to get them to hold together instead of flop around like ragdolls.

Really: 1/60 yamatos are the best to go for. This line is what the 1/48 line should have been if the 1/48 were designed early on to be able to accommodate the two-seater VF-1 designs in the show. So if you want to get the VF-1D (hikaru's trainer valk at the start of the tv series) the new 1/60 line will have this. There will be more variety to choose from if you go with this scale. (who know what the future will hold though?)

Another reason you should stick to 1/60 scale is because the bandai vf-25 toys from macross F will be at this scale too, so if you want to line up all your macross toys together you have a nice display of everything at roughly matching sizes.

It might not be a big deal now, but in the long term, having things standing next to each other at the right scale makes a difference. The upcoming destroids from yamato will also be at 1/60. So if you plan on getting one you could have a valk with a destroid standing together to make the collection look more impressive. Rather than a bunch of small toys with limits on the detail or where the different toys are at different scales.

If you want cheap stuff for the desk or on your monitor the GNU or revoltechs would be good. But if I were you, focus on the 1/60 scale for long term happiness. :D

1. transforms unlike the revoltechs or GNU.

2. details that are worthy for a display plus accurate sculpt.

3. price is cheaper than 1/48 despite having most of the stuff from the bigger toys in them + improvements since then.

4. matches scale with others like the bandai macF toys.

All those things are worth spending a bit more money on.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought the 1/60 scale was the best since they weren't to big but not to small either. Great size for customs :D The 1/48 scale revolutionized the VF by allowing for an almost perfect transformation, but the size seemed a tad to big. Now with the redesign of the 1/60 scale, you get the best of both worlds and with, quite possibly, the best transformation design... Wasn't planning on it, but I guess i'm getting a few of the new 1/60's when they come out... Thanks my wife's going to kill me.

• 3 weeks later...

Welp I guess this thread is for people likes me.

First of all let me say that I'm a huge Valk fan from the late 90's. I used to run home from school just to catch Robotech on Toonami. Great times.

Fast forward a few years and I aquire my very first valk, a Toynami 1/55 scale Masterpiece VF-1A. I wanted the J or S so bad but they were more expensive. Still, it's a start right? I know theres not a lot of love for the Toynami's but hey, it's better than nothing!

Anyway, when Macross Zero came up I fell in love with my transforming fighter planes again. The first episode had me hooked when I saw my old friend Fokker in his sleek VF-0S. Roy had always been my favorite character with the jolly roger motif on his planes it just seemed like the coolest thing.

So onto my question, :p

I really REALLY want a VF-0S but I've heard through a few sources that they are plauged by problems. I've browsed through the thread where everyone talks about thier broken figures and it's very dissapointing. I love the design so much. However I've been informed that the Zero's that come packed with the ghost boosters are fixed. Is this true? I honestly have no use for the ghost booster but if it means a better chance at getting a non cracked figure I'll take the extra step.

Also HLJ has the 0A on sale at the moment and that one is tempting enough but I've been told to stay away because they are more likeley to have the shoulder problems.

Help me MW!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw someone use the term VF-0A 'red line'. What does it mean? I'm thinking of getting a 0A after my success with a 0S w/ ghost, but there aren't any 0A w/ ghost here.

Is there a way for me to have good odds at getting a good 0A w/o resorting to getting the 1 w/ ghost?

Welp I guess this thread is for people likes me.

First of all let me say that I'm a huge Valk fan from the late 90's. I used to run home from school just to catch Robotech on Toonami. Great times.

Fast forward a few years and I aquire my very first valk, a Toynami 1/55 scale Masterpiece VF-1A. I wanted the J or S so bad but they were more expensive. Still, it's a start right? I know theres not a lot of love for the Toynami's but hey, it's better than nothing!

Anyway, when Macross Zero came up I fell in love with my transforming fighter planes again. The first episode had me hooked when I saw my old friend Fokker in his sleek VF-0S. Roy had always been my favorite character with the jolly roger motif on his planes it just seemed like the coolest thing.

So onto my question, :p

I really REALLY want a VF-0S but I've heard through a few sources that they are plauged by problems. I've browsed through the thread where everyone talks about thier broken figures and it's very dissapointing. I love the design so much. However I've been informed that the Zero's that come packed with the ghost boosters are fixed. Is this true? I honestly have no use for the ghost booster but if it means a better chance at getting a non cracked figure I'll take the extra step.

Also HLJ has the 0A on sale at the moment and that one is tempting enough but I've been told to stay away because they are more likeley to have the shoulder problems.

Help me MW!

First of all, welcome to the Macross world forums. (you are doomed to eternal obession)

Secondly I motherjumping love buckethead. I first started listening to him in... well it is hard to remember but it was high school so it must have been like 1993-sih when I heard praxis for the first time. In college I saw him live a bunch of times up here in the bay area. Seen him with Giant Robot II, with some freaky jam with brains and some other kids at a Berkely jam, Seen him with DEVIL DUB (which was mind blowing!!!! Scientist on the mixing board?!?!?!?!) and seen him with les claypool. Oh, and my good friend had him play his wedding which made my ears bleed.

So anyway, whoah. Wehere am i?

Oh yeah macross world.

It is basically russian rulette unless you get the VF-0S with Ghost which is CONFIRMED totally fixed and awesome!

I was a lucky one who got a perfect VF-0A Shin with Ghost but there were a few with broken shoulders.

The VF-0 is one of the coolest designes that shoji Kawamori had ever made and yamato does it some serious justice.

WORD!!!!

I think it is safe if it's roy with ghost. 50/50 chance of non-fixed with shin + ghost. (others members correct me if I'm wrong)

If you do end up getting the cheap ones let us know if it is plagued with problems, thanks..

I think it was more like 30/70 for the ratio. Most of them were fixed IIRC.

Hey guys, lately I've been thinking about buying my first 1/60 Valk (knowing myself more will probably follow :p).

However, since every now and then I read about quality issues, breaking soldiers, parts not properly clicking into place and whatnot I was wondering, what are the best 1/60 Valk toys out there quality-wise, and which ones do I absolutely need to avoid? Ofcourse being faithful to the anime/line-art is also important to me.

Many thanks to anyone who's willing to provide some answers :)

~Bowen

The VF-0 series (0A and 0S) should be avoided unless it is the VF-0S w/ghost booster combo. The VF-0A Shin w/ghost booster is supposedly hit and miss, some have fixes some don't. The VF-0 is a beautiful valkyrie, and was one of my favorite Yamato releases, up until my VF-0A's shoulders crumbled. And I refuse to spend money on replacement arms.

The YF-19 on it's own, has an issue of crooked gunpod storing under fighter mode, and the rear landing gear doesn't cant outwards. The YF-19 w/Fast Packs and Fold Booster has these fixed. I don't know if any newer runs of the stand-alone YF-19 have these fixes or not. I love my YF-19. :D Just take care in transforming the neck portion. The first transformation is scary, but once you get the hang of it it's a breeze. It helps to watch some of the transformation guides on youtube.

The SV-51 Ivanov I believe had some issues of reversed wing joints, which was fixed on the Nora and Cannon-Fodder versions. Other than that, the SV-51 seems to be good in the qualitcontrol department. :)

The YF-21 has had glowing reviews, and I haven't read about any catastrophic problems.

It's still to early to tell on the 1/60 VF-1 series. Things are looking good. In the thread on whether the VF-1s are good or have breakages, we've had only one person step forward to describe the problems. Other people have voted, yet didn't detail what the problems were, leading some people to believe that those votes were BS.

A 1/60 scale VF-11 Thunderbolt is in the works, though we have no pictures or details yet. :(

• 2 weeks later...
I've been looking at Toynami's 1/100 Max and Milia Jenius Valkyries as a good place to start. I've heard the quality is pretty decent.

For the price, you get a lot of stuff, especially compared to a Revoltech, which you pay $3 more for. Quality is decent, the toy is predominantly comprised of ABS plastic. The main things to worry about are the sockets for the bicep and thigh swivels, as these are prone to cracking. Even if they do crack, the biceps/thighs remain attached but are looser at the swivels. If they do crack, you may not even realize it, as this happened to me. The first 3 releases have ball joint polycaps for the stand, that are prone to cracking.

Other than that, the main things that bothered me are that the series 1 versions are significantly looser, for example in gerwalk mode the swing bars for the legs are not secure at all, if you lift it up by the wings, the legs will come down, this is far different from series 2 where everything is significantly tighter. Aesthetically, the backpack is too narrow, which leads to the vertical stabilizers looking too close in fighter mode, but this might just be my tastes.

Articulation is great, and unlike most other valkyrie toys, the battroid mode is definitely emphasized, and the best mode to play with. If you are used to revoltechs and the accessories that can be swapped out, you might like the 1/100 valkyries. If anything, they are far more durable alternatives than buying a 1/100 variable model kit(which feature swap transformation, the 1/100 toynami valkyries can be pretty much transformed with no parts removal needed).

By all means not perfect but decent.

I'm looking to buy my first Yamato Valkyrie, most likely the 1/60 YF-19 or YF-21, I'm in Australia, just wondering where is the best place to buy them.

Ebay, hlj, this place, toywave, etc etc..

I don't think there are any online australia stores with yamato macross valkyries. Most online stores ship to australia anyway so it's not a problem for australian fans to get this stuff.

If anyone know any (something like casefresh.com.au but for macross toys) then I'd love to hear about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Have Yamato ever made a 1/60 VF-25 ? no

If they haven't done any, will they make one ? no, bandai is making an alto and ozuma version

any release date ? late november

welcome to macrosswolrd

Edited by Vegas

I was curious about pilot swapping today so I tried it with all my 1/60 scale pilots.

Isamu only fits in the YF-19.

Guld only fits in the YF-21.

Yang Neumann fits in the VF-0 and YF-21 (forgot to put him in the front seat of the 19).

Shin/CF Pilot fits in the YF-21.

I lack the SV-51 and new 1/60 VF-1. Has anyone tried putting their Roy or Hikaru into any of the other 1/60's or other 1/60 pilots in the VF-1?

• 3 weeks later...

You can use an imagehost, like imageshack, where you upload your pictures then use the links they give you. Or you can attach files after you click the "add reply" or "reply" button. It's under the window where you type your post in.

Part of the Macross Frontier Withdrawal syndrome Healing process, i'm puttng up stickers on my VF-0A (shoulder broken, sigh...). From the forum, i understood that the sticker doesn't really look great, but still decided to give it a try since it's already half broken.

well, it looks fine from far, but i can't say i'm satisfied with the result.

By any chance would Yamato consider providing decal as another option?

Or, is there where i could get any 1/60 decals from any location? thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

hey D did you check this thread out? - http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27901

Part of the Macross Frontier Withdrawal syndrome Healing process, i'm puttng up stickers on my VF-0A (shoulder broken, sigh...). From the forum, i understood that the sticker doesn't really look great, but still decided to give it a try since it's already half broken.

well, it looks fine from far, but i can't say i'm satisfied with the result.

By any chance would Yamato consider providing decal as another option?

Or, is there where i could get any 1/60 decals from any location? thanks in advance.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Actually I have a question for those who've gotten replacement VF-0A arms. Do you have to pop the replacement onto the ball joint? And are the replacement arms capable of holding poses while the gunpod is being gripped?

Okay, here's a newbie type question: Say you wanted buy your first Yamato VF, what's a good one to get, and which ones should you avoid?

Thanks

Good releases:

-1/60 YF-21, depending on what mode you prefer it's awesome or crap. Some people hate the battroid to the point that the whole thing is ruined. Others prefer the fighter mode and think its fabulous. I love it despite it not having the massive battroid mode (it's limbs are thin). It's super sleek in fighter mode, and everything is held together nice and tight in all modes. The transformation is complex, but once you get it down pat it's simple. :)

-1/60 YF-19 with Fast Pack and Fold Booster. Absolutely beautiful in my opinion. Some people have it ruined by the "gullet". This version doesn't have some problems the stand-alone version had (see the problem portion ahead). Nice and tight fighter, sleek battroid. Be warned that the chest doesn't have a locking mechanism though, one thing that everyone gripes about. Still a fantastic toy though.

-1/60 SV-51 Nora. As far as I've heard it's been a fantastic release with no QC issues. I'm not a fan of the SV-51, but I've been tempted to get it because Yamato made it look so damned nice... :)

-1/48 VF-1. It's beautiful, though you might want to wait for the 1/60 VF-1 version 2 as they are fantastic looking (sleeker fighter mode, the arms are integrated better so the shoulders don't hang down like a ball-sack) and very poseable. The 1/48 is larger, and you have to be careful of the backpack hinge, but other than that it's very solid.

-1/60 VF-1A version 2 Hikaru. It looks fantastic, though some people don't like the way the cockpit was set-up as they had planned to be able to convert it to a two-seater. The VF-1S though had some problems, look ahead.

Now the problems.

-Avoid the 1/60 VF-0A Cannon Fodder and the old VF-0S toys as they had a problem where the shoulders crumbled (chemical reaction). The VF-0S with Ghost Booster is a safe set to get. The VF-0A Shin is chancy as some of them had fixed shoulders and some of them didn't.

-The 1/60 YF-19 stand-alone had the gunpod held crooked in fighter mode, and the rear landing gear could not cant outwards. The 1/60 YF-19 with Fast Packs and Fold Boosters had those problems fixed, as did the 25th Anniversary YF-19.

-The 1/60 SV-51 Ivanov I think had the occasional issue of the wing joints being the wrong way around, but was fixed on the SV-51 Nora version.

-The 1/60 VF-1S version 2 apparently has issues with one of the shoulder joints being likely to crack, so far the VF-1A Hikaru doesn't seem to have this problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Ebay, hlj, this place, toywave, etc etc..

I don't think there are any online australia stores with yamato macross valkyries. Most online stores ship to australia anyway so it's not a problem for australian fans to get this stuff.

If anyone know any (something like casefresh.com.au but for macross toys) then I'd love to hear about them.

transfiguretoys.com is an online Australian retailer that sells yamato stuff- and its free shipping Australia wide. The only problem is, that the price is a little high! But based on the exchange rate at the moment, its probably not a bad option - youll be paying less now. Also, I am sure that if you wanted something specific they could get it in for you, but you may find it cheaper on ebay etc.

I think there are also a few places in Australia that actually sell yamato stuff - there was an animation store in the city (which I think has shut down now) and a japanese shop in chatswood that I have seen some things, but the prices are too high for me!