Newbie ANSWERS thread!

UH yea. Since most newbies come to our site and start topics that we always refer them one way or another to use the search button to find their answer rather than start a new topic, I have made this thread with the hope that...

1-NEwbies see THIS first before they ask anything.

2-THe search button gets used more often

3-Less annoyance and inconveniance for having to answer a question already answered.

SO without further ado.....

1- Where is the YF-19FP? Is that still coming out?

A- NOONE knows! Seriously if anyone really did someone would have said something by now. HAs anyone seen it? Probably not otherwise AGAIN someone would have posted it here or something like that. Yes it was planned but that was like a year or 2 years ago. So just remember if ANY sign of it coming out will equate to a FLOOD of "NEW YF19FP " threads. So dontchu worry if it's coming out, trust me you WILL know.

2-Wy doesn't yamato make a SDF-1?

A-Noone knows. Even though it is very famous in the series, it takes a backseat to the valkyrie. PLus if you think about it, when has yamato EVER done a space battleship? NEVER!! So yea if they DID want to make it I imagine it would be kind of hard considering they are "virgins" in the diecast ship territory. Plus the market right now is saturated by macross and stuff so yea.

3-PERfect variable VF-0 & SV-51

Noone knows this as well and I for one have been begging for these. Why hasn't yamato done these? Maybe because they are busy with BGC and votoms or the other non macross merchandise they are doing. Some say OVA's in japan reach higher populatiry status after the series itself is over most of the time, so who knows. So noone knows.

4-Will bandai make anymore reissues?

According to Xstoys and an unnamed bandai toy rep seen in a convention in the philippines, NO, not anytime soon. Xstoys stated that competition between yamato and toynami and market saturation are a factor but he also did confirm the existence of an all new mold SDF-1, and 1/55 destroid as well as redesigned parts on the 1/55 reisues that never made it into production. The cause? BAD TIMING! The bandai rep who was asked at a convention in the philippines buy a member of greattoys.net message board quoted him saying "the license was too hard...we will focus on other properties like gundam etcetc" Not the exact words but you get the point. SOmething tells me they are just waiting for the right time to reissue stuff.

5-What is the difference between 1/60 and 1/48 VF-1?

1/60=swap part transformation, most diecast content out of all VF-1 toys.

1/48=PERFECT variable, minimal diecast, more articulated.

if there are any more newbie answers you guys can think of, post here!

MORE answers!

Oh no rubber is SEEPING out of my 1/48!! Should I worry?

Depends on who you ask. This happened to me, and I sanded the paint off the diecast ball joints. The rubber no longer seeped out but the friction between the balljoint and leg encasing was decreased. This made the hips on my 1/48 considerably looser. I PM'd graham about this & he thinks the rubber seepage is not a big deal, in many ways I regret even sanding the joints since the rubber wasn't constantly seeping out, just some rubber exposed. Box is green takatoku with usually orange font and styrofoam tray. packed in BATTROID mode aside from the super valk.

How can you tell a vintage takatoku from a bandai reissue?

Takatokus have NO swappable heatshield. Focker VF-1S either has a painted skull on canopy, or skull sticker on dark canopy. Hands are hard plastic, wings are not indented on paint stripe, and there are stickers rather then painted on decals. Most importantly lower arm assembly is different so arm armor from reissues will not work on this and arm armor from a takatoku will not work on a reissue(unless it is on the 1990 bandai VF-1S super reissue).

Bandais have painted details(most) softer plastic in hands, SWAPPABLE heatshield(Focker VF-1S and all after this version), different lower arm assembly, different box, all packed in fighter mode. Box resembles fueselage of VF-1.

The 1990 reissue sticks out. This one has a different head( was supposed to be supposedly more TV accurate but this is debatable). LEss diecast and less painted parts. Clear canopy.

How can you tell a reissue from a first run 1/48 hikaru and roy?

Velcro on box missing?(not sure about this) and more importantly headrest within the canopy is changed. There is no 2nd edition sticker.

Will another company be granted the license and produce large (6-12") transforming valks if other companies (mainly Yamato) slow the rate at which new figures are released?

Probably not. Regardless if yamato or bandai slow down(which is happening to both), licenses are kept for up to a certain point of time, which could include a few years or months. I doubt any other company aside these 2 would rise and try to outdo them with their own line of valks, and for them to do this, they must prove themselves to big west(much like yamato had to prove the market for macross was healthy enough to grant sales of a VF-1 toy were profitable by first testing the waters with their macross plus toys). Big West does not hand out licenses just like that especially for a property like macross.

Why hasn't yamato made a Kakizaki VF-1 or VF-1A max type/angel birds?

The 1/48 max VF-1A in DYRL colors gathered dust in japan and was even marked down to 75USD(converted from yen) in japan tru months back. IF max himself does not sell well, do you think kakizaki would? Kakizaki would most likely be only bought by either completists or diehard macross fans who are really into the series. To yamato a kakizaki must seem like a automatic shelfwarmer and loss of profit. Bear in mind obscure colors like the low viz(based on a fan custom that impressed kawamori) and the black credit card promotion VF-1 toy are VERY limited. That is one of the reasons the low viz was in such high demand. That and it looks cool, but the fact that it was seemingly rare upped the demand.

WIll yamato rerelease the low viz?

Probably something similar when the market is not as saturated. Since it was not a mass release, IMHO yamato would not want to decreease the after market value of the toy, so if something does come out, it might be a low viz VF-1J or S. Perhaps in suttle differences with decals as well.

What's a CF and FP?

CF="Cannon Fodder"=something that gets blown up in each episode but gets admired by the diehards because it is overloooked.

FP="Fast Packs"=external armor mounted on valkyrie.

What is this BP8 that people keep talking about? What should I watch out for when playing with my 1/48?

BP8 is a backpack connection piece on the 1/48 toy, that can break if you push it past the stopper bump. DO NOT push it past there! The common saying for the backpack is "just push it as far as it will go without going past the bump". This is the main thing to watch out for with the 1/48 toy, that and suppport the boosters on the 1/48 FP set when transforming the toy, since those are heavy and can break BP8 if you let it flop loose.

Does yamato cater macross products to the US market?

NO. Only japan. They WANTED to cater to us, but legality problems with Harmony Gold prevented them from doing so. Reference the HG debates thread for more info in the "other and science fiction" section. However OTHER non macross products from yamato are readily available in the USA.

Why doesn't yamato make an alpha fighter?

Because they can't and never wanted to. They said that the market for mospeada was somewhat small in japan so therefore to them, so they didn't think they would get much profit from it. Most importantly toynami and HG have the global license to make the toys.

What happened to Billy Wong?

He can still do work for the company and probably still does, but in an interview a year ago in a japanese magazine, it was stated that yamato would pick someone else to sculpt the macross toys, someone with knowledge of military aviation, which billy wong lacked. They said he would work on other things. This is where Nishikawa came in, it was OBVIOUS he knew more about aviation than billy wong did(compare VF-1 toys 1/60/48 compared to macross plus toys).

hey guys I don't know crap about HTml, so thats why I did not propose a site. most newbies come here asking for stuff anyways so I think its better if they see this here rather than some other site.

IS the 1/60 monster still coming out?

YES, acording to NOEL who goes to wonderfest each year, it IS! Next year. Yes it is huge. Size of a small coffeetable.

WHy doesn't yamato make battlepods and khyrons battlepod in 1/48 scale? How come no 1/48 zentran?

Villains in general do not sell well. Look @ the SOC line. HOW long have mazinger fans been waiting for garada? How long did they way for bossrobot or whoever that is? Why does binaltech have more autobots? IN some cases villains outsell the heros in japan but considerably this is mainly talking about the zaku. Plus, you place a 1/48 VF-1 and a battlepod next to each other in the store. Which would sell faster and more?

Why does the 1//48 cost so much, even if it lacks diecast?>

Out of every yamato release for macross that has ever been concieved, the 1/48 VF-1 has the MOST small parts! Molds are big and expensive, and making a mold for a big piece is a lot easier and cheaper than making molds for several small pieces(which are integral to the 1/48) hence the big MSRP.

what is the matchbox/exosquad veritech toy?

This toy was originally concieved to be transformable but for some reason it was not made variable. (lack of funds or legalities?). Mde to fit gijoe size robotech figures. NON transformable and more out of proportion than gijoe jets in similar scale. Only came in skull 1(fokker) colors.

What are joke machines/HCM?

Joke machines are SD(super deformed) valkyrie toys. FUlly variable and have their own fast packs! A few were imported by matchbox in the 1980's. HCM's are (High Complete Models), toys made out of ABS, diecast and styrene made for the japanese business man who had no time to build a model but still wanted something for display and play on the desk(taken from toyboxdx).

These toys at the time were the highest calibur VF-1 toy ever created( 1980s). Featured:

-clip on heatshield

-MISSLES! Mountable under wing and can REMAIN there in battroid even when wings are swept back(the ONLY VF-1 toy as of yet capable of pulling this off!)

-tailhooks

-balljointed wrists and legs(minimal)

-moveable fingers.

-somewhat improved sculpt over 1/55(somewhat is a key word here as there are many things this thing does better and some certainly worse)

-gunpod mountable in fighter mode

-1/72 scale.

-more detail than 1/55.

The HCM was the 1/48 of the 1980's. The HCM is to the 1/55 like the 1/48 to the 1/60's. Rumor has it the molds for the HCM macross toys were all destroyed in a boat accident years ago. (said by numerous credible sources).

DId HCM's have armor?

No they did not. However some fans used to make custom armor for theirs perhaps kitbashed from old bandai/imai 1/72 kits.

why didn't the super valkyrie 1/55 takatoku look like the one on the box picture?

Noone really knows the answer to this question, however upon closer inspection it seems that the mockup in the picture was not meant to transform as the nose is way too long and exegerated. Perhaps it was a proposed new sculpt but noone knows for sure. As it stands it was just a mockup .

What are the differences between the bandai, joons, and takatoku valks?

Takatoku-Came first around 1982/3. CF(brown),Max, Miriya, Hikaru, & Roy. A GPS-1 pack was available seperately or packaged with ROy VF-1S(same as seperate sold roy valk). Super armor was only available with VF-1S. This VF-1S was bone white rather than grey and had an amber canopy instead of dark transparent black plastic with skull sticker like the regular roy valkyrie. Box art had hikaru rather than roy. Almost all details are stickers. Except for the paint stripes. Wing sweep can be pushed full forward rather than blocked.

Bandai-ONly came in hikaru 1A, DYRL, strike, super ostrich, and elint seeker. Molds were bought from takatoku upon bankruptcy and altered slightly, a stop block is placed in front of the wings to prevent them from sweeping all the way forward(fully straightened wings). EAch release from bandai had a clip-on heatshield. Super armor within the strike set was more detailed than takatoku's and had removable panels.

Joons-bootleg of takatoku, vastly inferior quality, loose springs, different shades and sometimes different color schemes altogether, color schemes are basically off however the packaging resembles old takatoku packaging.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Will they rerelease the Low-Viz?

Are they gonna make a 1/48 CF?

What's a CF?

What can I do to take the yellow off my bandai?

Who's Graham?

Where's Shawn?

What am I doing here...

this is isn't my beautiful house

this is isn't my beautiful wife

Same as it ever was....

Same as it ever was....

Same as it ever was....

Same as it ever was....

Will they rerelease the Low-Viz?

Are they gonna make a 1/48 CF?

What's a CF?

What can I do to take the yellow off my bandai?

Who's Graham?

Where's Shawn?

What am I doing here...

this is isn't my beautiful house

this is isn't my beautiful wife

Same as it ever was....

Same as it ever was....

Same as it ever was....

Same as it ever was....

Why is >EXO< such a smartass? :p

I agree with ewilen that a web page would be the best idea. Primarily that you could easily include several comparison shots between the various toys. We could spend pages describing the differences between the Banprestos, Bandai's, K&M's, Yamato's, etc, but it wouldn't mean jack to a newbie. However, organized pictures in HTML format would be immensely helpful.

:lol: I'd kill to find out...

More:

The rubber seeped out of my balls... :blink: (noobs that don't know will be pondering that one.)

What happened to that loser making the bigger hands for the 1:48s?

:lol: I'd kill to find out...

More:

The rubber seeped out of my balls... :blink: (noobs that don't know will be pondering that one.)

What happened to that loser making the bigger hands for the 1:48s?

:huh:;):p:D:lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

nice one,

snip312

Oh, for pictures, the main page MW is pretty good, combined with Valkyrie Factory, even though both are a little behind the times.

My bad, did you expect a newbie to spend time searching that labyrinth we call a gallery? Even then, most of us skip the main page and jump straight to the forums. :lol:

But I do agree that a webpage would've been an overall better idea, less flim-flam (like my post here) and more of an uninterrupted flow of information.

Good luck, Shin. I just think that in the long run, this thread will become so unwieldy that newbies aren't going to be able to find the answers they're looking for.

If you use Netscape (not sure about other browsers), there's a built-in tool which will let you create functional web pages more or less the same way you'd use a page layout program or a word processor. Then you could just update as necessary and put a link to your page in your sig or something.

Does yamato cater to the US market?

NO.  Only japan. They would WANT to cater to us, but legality problems with Harmony Gold prevent them from doing so. Reference the HG debates thread for more info in the "other and science fiction" section.

actually Yamato does cater to the US, they just can't sell macross toys. I'm sure you knew that, Shin, just clearing it up for you...

Why doesn't yamato make an alpha fighter?

Because they can't and never wanted to. They said that the market for mospeada was somewhat small in japan so therefore to them, probably not too profitable.

the answer should be, they just can't... even IF they wanted to...

you should try to keep the answers as factual as possible and not so opinionated... it suppose to be the end all of the discussion, not start a debate... ;)

Edited by >EXO<

Good luck, Shin. I just think that in the long run, this thread will become so unwieldy that newbies aren't going to be able to find the answers they're looking for.

If you use Netscape (not sure about other browsers), there's a built-in tool which will let you create functional web pages more or less the same way you'd use a page layout program or a word processor. Then you could just update as necessary and put a link to your page in your sig or something.

I suggested to shin that he posts only the questions on the first post and link them to the answer... there should only be one answer per post so that the question will be answered right away...

like so...

Why is the rubber seeping out of the hip joints of my 1/48?

Where is the first post for the n00b FAQ?

Where does Bariaburu Faita say PIN!?

Why is >EXO< sucha smartass?

Where can I see a cute girl on this site?

there... works!!! :D

Edited by >EXO<

HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! HBAR! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

MW FAQ:

whens the YF-19 w/FPs coming out? its never coming out. keep hoping and be disappointed.

will yamato ever re-release the low viz? when the definition of "limited" changes to "unlimited".

i broke my 1/48, where can i find the part i need? in the spare parts thread in the toy forum.

where i can find a 1/48 dealer near me? try a phone book.

where can i find a 1/48 cheap? unless you're in HK or surrounding area you can't.

whats next in line for the 1/48's? your guess is as good as mine?

whats the easiest way to do panel lines? check the customizing toys section

why is everyone so mean? because its more than fun than being nice.

why can't Graham give us the low down on yamato? because they voted him off yamato island.

where i can find...."fill in the blank"? try the "search" function, it works!

some general FAQ's i saved a while back.

added:

whats a yammie?

whats a chunkey monkey?

what does GBP stand for?

whats the difference between the TV FP's and DYRL FP's?

whats the difference between DYRL valks and TV valks?

what numbers are assigned to who? like on the valks?

what the heck is macross?

how do you use the search function? :lol:

Edited by haterist

What are the differences between the bandai, joons, and takatoku valks?

Takatoku was the original company that first produced the 1/55 scale valks. They went out of business and Bandai bought the molds and produced them. This is all during the 80s when SDF Macross and DYRL were releases. Later on in I think the early 90s a Korean company, Joons, got the molds to the 1/55 scale valk and produced them then. The Joons valks are bootlegs/knockoffs and were never officially liscensed from Big West. Thats it in a nutshell.

which company makes a better valk?

bandai, yamato or toynami? :p (the debates never ends)

will bandai reissue the GBP, Strike VF-1S, VE-1 and VT-1? (keep longing for it)

do i need to remove the legs on the 1/48 during transformation? (buy one and you'll find out)

oh why is the 1/48 so much lighter then the 1/60 and 1/55? (so that it can fly faster :lol:)

why are there no legs on the 1/60 pilots? (the 1/48s have it) :blink:

where did it mention that max flew a vf-1s? (you can watch dyrl 100 times)

seriously, where is our YF-19FP <_< ?

Edited by Toonz

I started putting the Super/strike parts on my 1/48 and I noticed that the boosters appear to be near impossible to get in. Are there any tricks.

try to put them in at the same time so you don't cause too much stress on the backpack hinge, just place the 2 on either side and squeeze and keep an eye out to make sure the backpack/tail section stays straight, if it starts to shift, apply force to keep it straight.

if the diecast is that tight, you might want to file it down a bit, but don't go crazy or that suckers gonna be loose.

you might also want to check and see if theres any flash or anything left inside the backpack that might be obstructing the slots.

hope that helps.

I started putting the Super/strike parts on my 1/48 and I noticed that the boosters appear to be near impossible to get in. Are there any tricks.

Pull out the backpack antenna too, it even give me problems when I try to insert the right booster.

• 2 months later...
would the weapons for a 12 inch or 1/6 scale figure go well with a 1/48? i'm planning on buying some weapons....my 1/48 looks boring with just the gunpod :p:lol:

Hikaru was intrigued by your query. Here's thr result. ;)

post-4-1106621153_thumb.jpg