"Star Trek Movie Syndrome" befalls Macross?

Winter

The point of Macross is to change the sensabilities of the person behind the gun, not to distract them so you can shoot them.

That's exactly what they did in SDF Macross, using Minmay's song. Only in DYRL and later shows was that changed.

I think the confusion considering the TV series revolvses around the belief that it was Minmay singing Ai Wa Nagareru that won the war, which it didn't. Minmay's effect took place much earlier. It started with the Miss Macross pagent, & spread full swing once Loli Warera & Konda brought her music & their stories back to Britai's fleet.

Minmay singing & kissing in episode 27 was indeed a diversionary tactic, but it's one that would not have worked unless the Britai Adoclas fleet hadn't defected against Bodolza before, due to being moved by human culture.

Check this site out, then:

Steel Falcon RPG page. Sure, it's an RPG page, so you can ignore all the little stat blocks, but it also serves as a decent enough description of the ships and their capabilities, in all their hand-having, gun-pod wielding glory *shudder*.

Holy Hell! I've got to order one of the Macross artbooks, cause I want more lineart of those/that Macross 7 super carrier *Drool!*