"Star Trek Movie Syndrome" befalls Macross?

Winter

I wathched SDF:Macross. Top tier. I watched Macross Plus. More ownage. I watched *10* mins of Mac7 and its ass.

Am I nuts, or does the Macross series alternate between genius and crap, like the Star Trek movies alternate between good and bad?

Someone tell me I'm nuts. :blink:

I wathched SDF:Macross. Top tier. I watched Macross Plus. More ownage. I watched *10* mins of Mac7 and its ass.

Am I nuts, or does the Macross series alternate between genius and crap, like the Star Trek movies alternate between good and bad?

I hope that this does not turn into another you what. <_<

But with regards to your question, give it time. It picks up after a few episodes. Around 10 or so. But, if you still don't like it, well, there's nothing most of us caqn help you with there. Some people don't mind it, some hate it. Personally, I would watch it all before i formulate an opinion. (Then again, I watched 1 ep of CrushGear Turbo and Beyblade, and decided, nup.)

I thought you were going to end with Macross Zero being in the Macross 7 camp, and I was going to cheer, but then I remembered Zero has one more episode, and maybe I will like 1/5th of it or something.

You can have the same problem with any series, drag it on too long, or try to change it too much (Star Trek Enterprise), and you lose a lot of the appeal, but then again, if you were working on a show, would you want to do the same thing over and over?

You can have the same problem with any series, drag it on too long, or try to change it too much (Star Trek Enterprise), and you lose a lot of the appeal, but then again, if you were working on a show, would you want to do the same thing over and over?

That's a good point. I'm going to give Mac7 another chance, and try to watch at least one, two episodes before I condem it totaly.

And forgive me. I do not intend to turn this into a "lol mac7 gay!111" thread. I was just listing the series I've seen ^_^;

I'm looking forward to Mac0 and DYRL? though. They seem promising.

Looks like this has already become a Mac7 bash/love thread, not like anyone could really expect much else. Unlike the Trek movies, where it's simply Paramount churning out crap to make the bucks, we don't get "yet another Macross" every year or so. It's a long wait between them, and every Macross tends to take a different approach to the basic themes originally put forth in SDF Macross. Because of the differences in tone, it's not surprising that some people prefere one Macross over another, and some outright hate some Macross, while loving others. I know people that dislike Macross Plus, but love Macross Zero, and visa-versa. There's people that strongly relate to the almost Herlock-esque themes of individuality and human spirit that are so strongly stated in Macross 7, while others are put off by the garish creature and Sound Force designs, and Basara's bull headed personality.

I think the only Macross that suffers greatly in creative quality would be Macross II, and even with that there are staunch supporters who would beg to differ with my opinion. I've got my reasons, they've got theirs. I must admit that I wouldn't mind some more Macross shows that were closer in feel to DYRL? than we've had since, but I also enjoy the diversity that each new Macross has brought to the table since. No one can honestly say that if you've seen one Macross, you've seen them all, wich is a major complaint many have with "that other mecha show".

No you aren't nuts.

M7 sets new limits for lame and sissy. However little kids (the target audience of M7) are much weaker and passive than we were as kids. They have had political correctness crammed down their throats so much they are given the opportunity to be pathetic and lame.

Not only is M7 a horible insult to Macross fans but it is a symbol of giving merrit to being a pussy.

post-25-1096913840.jpg

Agent One, the most vocal Macross 7 hater here....damn that's a funny image. :lol:

But anywho, yes, give Macross 7 some more time. Me, I liked it after Basara transformed his VF-19 Kai and fired at the Varauta and began singing Totsugeki Love Heart.

With Macross 7? I think it's a matter of taste of course... but don't judge it off of ten minutes.. in fact there is only a handful of really good episodes before City 7 and Battle 7 get separated (that is when it really starts to get interesting IMO)... so watch until you see that (and by separated I don't mean the first time they separate to fire the gun... I mean when they are separated... you'll know what I mean when I see it).

Anyways in order of release for Macross

Macross TV -great

Macross DYRL -great

Macross Flashback 2012 - Tenshi no Enogude owns your soul!!!

Macross II -okay

Macross Plus -very good

Macross 7 -The true sequal in every way

Macross Encore 7 - Pretty good

Macross Dynamite 7 -Weird but very cool

Macross Zero - ehhh still waffaling on this one

For Star Trek

Motion Picture - long and long and... Weird but okay

Wrath of Kahn - Good but really, what's all the fuss about?

Search for Spock - snore!

The Voyage Home - Best movie of the series... comic/dramatic genius

The Final Frontier - "What does god need with a starship... and what do I need with this movie? Horrible, horrible film... some funny lines though."

The Undiscoverd Country - "Trek films are a dish best served COOL!!!" Great film

Generations - Not a great film but you can excuse it's short comings cause it links the two film series and it has some really great moments.

First Contact - "Assimilate this!" With pleasure... great film.

Innsurection - "In case of a bomb not even Data's comedy can be used to keep this film a float"

Nemisis - the exception that that proves the odds/evens rule of trek... this film sucks... big time.

So while trek has a notable odds/evens pattern... I don't think Macross does.

Perhaps I should recant part of my distate for Mac7. The animation is decent. Basara can make you laugh...sometimes...his boorish personality and bullheadedness is either comedy or irritation. Oft times both. I rather LIKE the look of the YF-19 Kai. Head design in all.

Perhaps once I've settled into my new home in Ottawa, I'll re-rent some of the Mac7 DVD's and try to watch them objectively.

And Radd. Thank the holy sweet powers at play that we DON'T get a new Mac series every so often. Look what happened to Gundam as a result. I see that as a situation of "too much too often" of the same stuff.

Agent ONE...that's not fair. Basara has cool hair :p

Gui. I always found Mac+ to be the EXACT essence of what Macross is all about. So few do programs or movies or music move my feelings like the torment of Myung, Issamu and Guld. I shivered and smiled through the entirety of "Information High" and mourned when Guld died.

But that's just me.

I know this is gonna irk someone but...Guld>Roy ^_~

Gui. I always found Mac+ to be the EXACT essence of what Macross is all about. So few do programs or movies or music move my feelings like the torment of Myung, Issamu and Guld. I shivered and smiled through the entirety of "Information High" and mourned when Guld died.

hehehe, ironic isn't it? That Macross Plus was never ment to be a Macross story and Macross 7 was based on ideas developed for the original Macross if it had gone on past the scope of it's original broadcast.

Not that your opinion is wrong (opinions are never wrong) but it's just kinda ironic.

To me 7 is the essence of Macross to you Plus... to me Nemisis is a crapy film... but I'm guessing you like it. arn't things of a subjective nature fun?

I agree to give M7 a second try, just don't espect much out of it, I gave it a try 2 and a half times and ended hating it but you may like it in some way and if not just give't to your little kid sister, she'll love it, for me it's as Agent One says, the worse insult to the Macross franchise, be open minded though, you're in for some really ....... things.

Later ;)

arn't things of a subjective nature fun?

See also: rectal thermomtetry, triganometry tests and slivers in the bottom of one's foot :p

But in all serious, I understand what you're saying and value your input. "Wrath" was a greatly over rated movie too. Bollocks to Kirk and his whiny brat >.>

After seeing Wrath a few times, I'm beginning to think that it was only rated well because it blew TMP away in terms of... well, action mainly. The special effects weren't as eye-blowing, but I think that's what kind of ruined TMP.. sensory overload, and plot undervolt. :p Course, they were both better than ST:V, "The Search for God". :rolleyes: found out that steaming pile was directed by Shatner... go figure. First Contact and ST:IV hold a close tie in my mind for the best Trek film... hmm.. time travel.. I'm seeing a trend here. :D

As far as Macross goes though, I'm witholding most judgement till I see everything. Macross Plus was my first experience with the series, and I loved it wholeheartedly (mostly for the aircraft, but the plot wasn't bad either. :)). I can probably say it'll remain my favorite, since I saw it first. Saw DYRL recently, and although not bad by a long shot, the musical interludes kind of annoyed me. I liked the way that the music in Mac+ was kind of just a byproduct of the plot and characters, rather than a large portion of the plot like in DYRL. Granted, that's the way the story was written, and the music was key to winning the battle, but aside from the final song, I think the characters (especially Minmei) would have benefited from a little more personal dialogue like Mac+ had. Now, I haven't seen SDF Macross yet, so I'm probably missing a lot of backstory from that, but it seems like DYRL on its own is a little lacking as far as characters go. I also preferred the style of music in Mac+ somewhat, it tended toward orchestra and piano music rather than pop-singing. "Voices" has to be one of the greatest pieces of music I've ever heard on piano, right up there with the theme from Forrest Gump. :D

Now, I've only seen a few eps of M7, true the combat is kinda lame at first, and the intro is kinda lacking, but I'll have to wait and see how it turns out later. I'm only up to episode 5, and I'm not hating it yet, so that's a good sign. And as repetitive as the music gets, I don't think it's that bad.

Macross Zero on the other hand is kind of strange compared to the other series.. there's almost no music involved, aside from the Mayan songs that Sara sings... But so far it's been pretty good. :) I'm eagerly waiting for the last episode.

macross and macross plus and DYRL and mac0 are all aimed at oolder audiences. Macross 7 was aimed at kids. Oringinally it was going to feature hikaru and misa being found by fleet 7 but it didn't . What I think a lot of people don't realize is that macross 7 might have been kawamori's middle finger to those who doubted him and his reasoning might be (thats right I CAN do anytyhing I want!)

Most of it sucks though IMHO. I just like the blazer and diamond sqn valks. But those were never given much screen time compared to sound force. Fire was nice but the way it was used? MY ASS!

macross and macross plus and DYRL and mac0 are all aimed at oolder audiences. Macross 7 was aimed at kids. Oringinally it was going to feature hikaru and misa being found by fleet 7 but it didn't . What I think a lot of people don't realize is that macross 7 might have been kawamori's middle finger to those who doubted him and his reasoning might be (thats right I CAN do anytyhing I want!)

Most of it sucks though IMHO. I just like the blazer and diamond sqn valks. But those were never given much screen time compared to sound force. Fire was nice but the way it was used? MY ASS!

great answer! B))

"Voices" has to be one of the greatest pieces of music I've ever heard on piano, right up there with the theme from Forrest Gump. :D

That's one of the reasons I love Mac+ so very much. The variety of music ranges from hi-speed electronica(InfoHigh) to orchestral genius(Cantabile) to rock(Does "After in the dark" count as rock?).

That's one of the reasons I love Mac+ so very much. The variety of music ranges from hi-speed electronica(InfoHigh) to orchestral genius(Cantabile) to rock(Does "After in the dark" count as rock?).

amen to that !!

'After in the dark' is one of my favorite pieces in macross ever. I would call it pop-rock

Don't forget that Mac plus vastly improved on better and more complex fighting scenes on the Macross continuity and left behind that slow, sloppy and unpredictable Physics on battles with regards to the earlier series..

Don't forget that Mac plus vastly improved on better and more complex fighting scenes on the Macross continuity and left behind that slow, sloppy and unpredictable Physics on battles with regards to the earlier series..

My God. That whole city ruining fight scene on Earth was just delish *Fans himself*

Mac + is one of the most enjoyable animes around, regardless of the style of show.

But I don't enjoy DYRL, Mac 7, or Mac 0 at all. SDF Macross is enjoyable, but hardly perfect.

For me, Mac Plus will always be the definitive Macross show, with all the others just failing to live up to the excellence it used in storytelling, plotting, character designs, and action sequences. It raised the bar so high that nothing else in the Macross Universe has been able to match, let alone exceed.

For me, Mac Plus will always be the definitive Macross show, with all the others just failing to live up to the excellence it used in storytelling, plotting, character designs, and action sequences. It raised the bar so high that nothing else in the Macross Universe has been able to match, let alone exceed.

I want to agree with you, I really do...but I haven't seen Mac0 and nor have I seen DYRL?.

I would agree with you only if the other Macross show is Macross 7, but although plus is great most of the other shows are quite good on their own, M+ is the most atractive though, but it's not the best, I would love though that every new Macross show follows what Plus did, but fresh ideas are welcome (M7 is the exception, fresh ideas.. not sissy and ridiculous ones). In any case a sequel to Macross plus is something we're hardly gonna get, but the show's energy can be emulated, for the moment we have Macross 0 and although it's hardly the quality of M+ it's not that bad, let's see what happens on the last ep. (it must be reaaaaally good otherwise a lot of guys are gonna be angry... me included)

Well, DYRL is kind of odd to me in a way... I enjoyed it, but I really thought the characters were pretty shallow, or not developed much at all. The few character development scenes you see leave the characters pretty one-dimensional. That, plus the awkward silences in so many places kinda just left me waiting for somone to actually say what they were thinking. The little "knowing glance" or "slow nod" bugged me, cause it didn't really tell you anything about the characters. I probably did miss a lot of the background in SDF, and I'm sure DYRL would probably be better after seeing that whole series. But to be honest, the music just kind of got on my nerves. It's like, "oh, we're trapped in an abandoned section of the ship... let's make a music montage of the time there!" or, "Let's do another one while Hikaru and Minmei are out on the town!" There's so much more that could've been done with these scenes, instead of just blasting through them quickly to a blaze of music.

But yeah.. Mac+ had the best dogfight I've ever seen... EVER. One of my favorite things to do in Flight Sim 2004 with my YF-19 and -21 is to fly at ground level through NY City at high speeds.. sweet feeling. :D

I probably did miss a lot of the background in SDF, and I'm sure DYRL would probably be better after seeing that whole series.

And that is my main issue with DYRL. It's got gorgeous animation and eye-candy... but little story to go with it.

Everything in DYRL *requires* that the audience has seen the original series, and it doesn't even bother explaining what they changed from SDF (the ARMD arms, for example**). DYRL is a failure because all it is is pretty pictures and semi-decent mecha scenes with a thin versimlititude of plot and character development thrown on top of it, and plot & character development are staples of SDF Macross.

Macross Plus did it right, even though it was a shorter running time than DYRL. We got all of the characters and background information AS WELL AS muchly uber cool mecha scenes.

** yes, I know exactly WHY the ARMD platforms were mated to the ship. It just bugs me that that wasn't explained in the show itself, requiring the audience to use the Compendium instead. I'm still the same "canon dialog boy" that I always have been :D

Macross 7 was no more aimed at kids than the original series was.

all that hype waiting for the supposed "Macross 7 Guru" to speak.... AND THAT'S ALL YOU SAY!??

..... perhaps you are not as strong as the emperor thought.... :ph34r:

What's the point? It's all been said before. <_<

If you say so, I belive you... But keep in mind that you saw Mac+ entirely and just about 10 minutes of Mac7: that's a significant difference :)