Mari Iijima to be a guest at Anime Overdose

Looking forward to this convention. I've seen Mari perform at one anime convention and two local gigs. I liked the anime convention because she sang four or five Macross songs in addition to her other songs.

Other guests are

Tara Strong (Rikku in FFX)

Debbi Derryberry (Jimmy Neutron)

Rob Paulsen (Pinky from Pink and the Brain)

Marv Wolfman (comic book writer)

Link to Anime Overdose

For someone that always talks about trying to separate herself from the Minmay persona, she sure shows up at a lot of these anime conventions. :unsure:

She knows she still has a loyal Minmay following so this is her chance to cater to that crowd while cleverly promoting and getting the fanboys to buy her new material. Smart move.

For someone that always talks about trying to separate herself from the Minmay persona, she sure shows up at a lot of these anime conventions. :unsure:

She doesn't really want to seperate herself from the whole Minmay persona as much as she just doesn't want to be remembered for just that...

She stated that she would jump at the chance to be part of Macross again if they ever ask.

I think people misinterpreted that about her.

Interesting. I had alwaysheard she had a resentment towards being known as Minmay. That's good to know on the contrary. Guess I can get my Macross box signed next year then. :D I kept missing this convention. I'd love to meet her again. This time, I'll actually know who she is.

I guess I can bring my Mari Iijima sings Lynn Minmay CD with me. But I've heard some scary stories about her live performances. I wonder if theres any chance she'll perform a Macross song. I sure hope so. ;)

I guess I can bring my Mari Iijima sings Lynn Minmay CD with me. But I've heard some scary stories about her live performances. I wonder if theres any chance she'll perform a Macross song. I sure hope so. ;)

I'm sure she will. I saw her at Ani-magic 2000. She sang about 5 Macross songs and even was taking requests.

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this up because there's about a month til the con and they've added a lot more guests.

A few additions that I'm excited about are:

The Beautiful Losers- The singer has collaborated with Yoko Kanno and sings in Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell SAC, and Wolf's Rain

Alex Borstein- Is the voice of the mom in Family Guy and used to be on MadTV

Takeshi Mori- Director of Vandread, Gunsmith Cats, and Stratos 4

Kim Moon Sang - Korean director of Sky Blue/ Wonderful Days

Check out the whole list

Is anyone else planning on going?

For someone that always talks about trying to separate herself from the Minmay persona, she sure shows up at a lot of these anime conventions.  :unsure:

She doesn't really want to seperate herself from the whole Minmay persona as much as she just doesn't want to be remembered for just that...

She stated that she would jump at the chance to be part of Macross again if they ever ask.

I think people misinterpreted that about her.

Plus, she still needs to eat.

I can't imagine that she's still making residuals from Macross given that she was 19 when she played Minmay, and that it launched her career. I'm sure she didn't make alot of cash from it back then, or even today.

Plus, I like Mari and all, and she's still cute as a button, but her non-Macross music is just kind of lost on me. I remember reading that she had moved to LA to do the music thing in the states etc, but the songs she sings in English are still in very heavily accented Japanese so I hope that her following in Japan is much bigger.

In all, I'm sure she hates Minmay about as much as Shatner or Nimoy hated being Kirk and Spock during the lean years when they were desperately trying to break the typecast role.

That being said, I wish she would come out to Otakon again, I would love to get hers or Kawamori's autograph on my Champagne box set. :D

Wow this is so cool!

I will be there for sure!

I saw Mari at Fanime Con in 2000 & 2001 % saw concerts she performed in at those events. I remember even recording one of them! :p

I've heard some scary stories about her live performances. I wonder if theres any chance she'll perform a Macross song. I sure hope so.

At Fanime she performed several Macross songs, and she ALWAYS sang "DYRL?".

That is a must!

The only thing was that at Fanime 2001 she was bringing over a big box full od CD's and stuff for her to sell and the airlines LOST IT!

She was so upset at that con and she mentioned how she thought that would be her last con ever.

Luckily it wasn't!

Her website states she hopes to get a local gig in the San Francisco area.

I hope so, so i can get to see her more then once during her trip to the Bay area.

Are enough people going that we can have a Macross gathering?

Is it too late for me to sign up?

How much are tickets at the door?

I only want to check out Mari.......and if there's the possibility she'll sing that'd be GREAT. ;)

It says that she will have a concert & autograph session.

Tickets are still available WHOOOOOOOO!!

I think i'll bring my video recorder, film her concert, then transfer it to DVd so it will last FOREVER.

This is gonna be great!

Edited by fansubs2000

I am going to bring a deskjet printout of a tommy yune Ricky Hunter picture and ask her to sign it "Reba West."

If I send you a picture of my doorknob, will you sign it?

I'll sign it, "Reba West."

so is there going to be a gathering at this con in March or no?

is anyone going to this con?

I'll go IF I can catch Mari Iijima's performances.....there's no way in hell I'd go three days straight.

One day passes are $20? Right?

Plus, she still needs to eat. 

I can't imagine that she's still making residuals from Macross given that she was 19 when she played Minmay, and that it launched her career.  I'm sure she didn't make alot of cash from it back then, or even today.

Plus, I like Mari and all, and she's still cute as a button, but her non-Macross music is just kind of lost on me.  I remember reading that she had moved to LA to do the music thing in the states etc, but the songs she sings in English are still in very heavily accented Japanese so I hope that her following in Japan is much bigger.

In all, I'm sure she hates Minmay about as much as Shatner or Nimoy hated being Kirk and Spock during the lean years when they were desperately trying to break the typecast role.

That being said, I wish she would come out to Otakon again, I would love to get hers or Kawamori's autograph on my Champagne box set.  :D

Mechamechanic has just summed up what I wanted to say to a tee. Excellent post m8 :)

• 2 weeks later...