Why not bookstyle packaging?

sleddogg83

Let me first explain what brought this on and I am prepared to be flamed. I simply love the Toynami MP RT line of packaging. Those boxes/books actually make me want to display them along side my collection. I know that the figures themselves have few reedming qualities (the LED is nifty), but the packaging is stellar.

So, I pose the question why doesnt Yamato market these figures with a book style packaging? I know that it would be unlikely to get large releases (1/48, Monster, etc.) in this style of box, but the 1/60's and smaller should be pretty easy. Hell the boxes/books would likely even be smaller than our current windowed boxes (they will be thicker however). I would gladly pay the additional $10-20 USD for the nice book style packaging. IMHO these Yamato figures deserve this treatment.

Thoughts?

Edited by sleddogg83

This is just my opinion:

Book-style boxes are cool! IF they're designed right. I actually find the Toynami ones a bit cheesy and loud design-wise. Overly bright colors, chintzy gold etc, but probably perfect for the target US market.

As for Yamato's packaging, you might say they are already kind-of book-style, once you factor in the lift-up flap. They have made huge improvements in they toy design/manufacturing with the 1/48, but seriously, their graphic/package design dept is only so-so. I think their older series of diecast Super Robots had a much better design effort than whole Macross series. I guess when you're selling stuff with a built-in fan-base, the extra effort and cost of doing really spiffy packaging just seems to take away from your profits.

I think the books look cheesy, myself.

Maybe Yamato would have done it if they'd thought of it first, but many of the 1/60's were already done when Toynami starting releasing the MPC's.

I suppose you could make your own. I'd suggest locating someone with a vacu-form machine, such as are popular with modelers.

So, I pose the question why doesnt Yamato market these figures with a book style packaging?

Because some companies have their priorities straight and concentrate on the product rather than use their packaging and some stupid useless light to jackup the price. If you like it so much why don't you just buy that???

haha, j/k, you said you were ready to be flamed...

but yeah, if toynami could charge you for it, they'd serve their sh*t a la mode...

Let me first explain what brought this on and I am prepared to be flamed. I simply love the Toynami MP RT line of packaging. Those boxes/books actually make me want to display them along side my collection. I know that the figures themselves have few reedming qualities (the LED is nifty), but the packaging is stellar.

So, I pose the question why doesnt Yamato market these figures with a book style packaging? I know that it would be unlikely to get large releases (1/48, Monster, etc.) in this style of box, but the 1/60's and smaller should be pretty easy. Hell the boxes/books would likely even be smaller than our current windowed boxes (they will be thicker however). I would gladly pay the additional $10-20 USD for the nice book style packaging. IMHO these Yamato figures deserve this treatment.

Thoughts?

that is the only thing going for the masterpieces but yammies look real nice in and out of the box.

Thoughts?

Because HG as the contracter wanted to market the Toynami MPes AS 'masterpieces' better with nifty packaging because they knew the toy itself wasn't such an über-toy as it should have.

Or just had more money for the packaging rather for the toy.

Whereas Yamato concentrate on the toy itself, made the box more formal, knewing the target group they were aiming for are adults who don't have to be swayed by a visually appealing box, because they are paying for the über-toy itself.

I prefer a more classy looking box with artwork and a nice window display. The Toynami book style is nice but it overshadows what is inside and overhypes the collector value. The other problem IMO is that a book has nothing to do with Robotech and the whole masterpiece thing is conceited. Yamato could definitely improve their boxes but I don't think many people really care. Most of us are more concerned with the quality of the contents instead of the box itself. If you prefer to display a box other than the toy inside, then maybe you should save your money and just collect boxes.

If there is ever a textbook example of OT, the MPC bookstyle packaging and the way they made the toy inside, would be it. I just want a nicely designed toy and decent enough packaging that can bring it to me - nothing else. Toynami went and f uc k up the toy and lay it in a nicely made coffin instead. Go Toynami!

Let me get in my last words before this becomes an all out flame war.

I was suggesting a bookstyle packaging and not neccessarily an exact copy of the MP RT line. Just the same general idea. It could be much more bland, but decent enough and of the right form factor that it not only could be, but more importantly, that you would actually want to display them.

I suggested a mark up of $10 - 20 for the packaging which would go towards materials, R&R, etc. The markup would acount for all costs (they can use the previously allocated funds for the old boxes to go towards the costs of the new books). Hence, there SHOULDN"T be any loss in quality of the Yams.

Edited by sleddogg83

THE PRODUCT-the primary job of any product packaging is to protect it. Everything else would be secondary to it. A bookstyle packaging is just a nice compromise for the collectors who want to play with the product inside, as well as displaying it, and those who just want to keep it mint. A 10-20 dollar mark-up is a fat dream for someone like Toynami or Yamato IF they are REALLY thinking to make a 100 percent profit that easy - off each VF type sale. $10-20 X 15,000 profit just for the packaging - They had better allocate that kind of money hiring a heavier-weight sculptor/toymaker to make a better product, just to make damn sure the product sells well!

Making a better packaging with all the bells and whistles is just another good excuse to loose sleep. It better to concoct another halfarse scheme for world peace. B))

Edited by Beware of Blast

While I commend HG on stellar packaging, I jsut dont think it is feasible. You need to look at the Demographics for Macross. At the Macross Zero Panel at the Hobby Show last summer in japan, there are no kids. Anime is geared towards a completely different group in japan. Macross is an adult show for people who love airplanes. These guys take their anime seriously. They are asking questions about the realism of the plane's designs and what not. They do not care about a book. They care about accuracy. Dont forget packaging's purpose is to entice the audience to buy it and of course proect the contents. Well they already have their fan base who knows what they want. they dont need to have fanciness to draw in people to buy them. KISS (keep it simple stupid) Its jsut another look at marketing. They decided to go for a more subdued look for their packaging. Kinda like a Glock. nothing fancy about it but it works and it works well.

I prefer a more classy looking box with artwork and a nice window display.  The Toynami book style is nice but it overshadows what is inside and overhypes the collector value.  The other problem IMO is that a book has nothing to do with Robotech and the whole masterpiece thing is conceited.  Yamato could definitely improve their boxes but I don't think many people really care.  Most of us are more concerned with the quality of the contents instead of the box itself.  If you prefer to display a box other than the toy inside, then maybe you should save your money and just collect boxes.

In all fairness to HG/Toynami, compared to the original Veritechs released by Matchbox, I guess the Toynami version could be considered a Masterpiece. ;)

Except for the size of Yamato boxes I think they fit perfectly with the toy inside

it shows all features, the "technical marvels" as for colors, if they made them even

more painfull to the eyes (VF-1S hikaru, M&M -Disco, yeah baby!) i'd toss the box

as fast as I could

a bland box makes you appreciate the toy more

an overhyped one creates a bigger dissappointment

The boxes were a nice touch. . .

But what were they really?. . .

A suckerpunch to get people to buy them. . .

Toynami missed Yamato and got the all the "diehard" RT fans with it. . .

After that, Toynami's MPC fell on its face, only to be stomped on by Yamato's 1/48's. . . :o

"A sh!t sandwich is still a sh!t sandwich, no matter what you put on the plate with it. . ." :lol:

Seriously IMO, if the box looks cool it's worth keeping. . .

And that's ONLY if the toy is worth a damn . . .

I've picked up toys off ebay and tossed them cause I thought the toy inside was going to be outstanding. . .

(Ex. IMHO, those mini variable Cyclones by Gakken, UGH A DISSAPOINTMENT!!!!) :blink:

These companies should stick to Design, Production and Q.C. and that's it. . . ;)

Worry about the box after the toy is solid and well accepted in playtests or polls. . .

If you buy the toy and it's breaking or not working like it's supposed to. . .

To hell with the toy and the box.

It's almost like misrepresentation if the toy inside isn't a MASTERPIECE!!!

(Or at least as good as the competition. . .)

Edited by DARKWIND

the toynami boxes are cool i guess but i don't have any MPC's so i wouldn't know. ;)

the only thing i want yamato to do is decrease the size of ther boxes so it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get them from HK. :rolleyes: shipping is way too expensive all because of the ridiculously oversized boxes that they use.

the toynami boxes are cool i guess but i don't have any MPC's so i wouldn't know. ;)

the only thing i want yamato to do is decrease the size of ther boxes so it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get them from HK. :rolleyes: shipping is way too expensive all because of the ridiculously oversized boxes that they use.

If they packaged them all in robot mode then the boxes would be 1/3 to 1/2 the size.

I AGREE, never repeat the vt-1/ve-1 mostruosity! :blink:

I don't care about books package i care about the toy.

I'm always in favor of packaging that will let you take the toy out without destroying the box. Toynami, Yamato, and Bandai all do that well, so you can put the toy back in if you want to store or resell it.

If only they could have done that with the 20th anniversary Optimus Prime...

this is a good point- without wanting to take things off-topic, Takara's Binaltech TFs are really well packaged in this regard. The packaging retains usefulness for transporting the figs safely. Yamato's (from what I've got) is also very impressive for this, as the inlay trays are held together without tape, just moudled clips in the tray.

Personally I don't like the robotech MPC bookstyle packaging, as it doesn't seem to relate at all to the toys within. Takaras TF collection reissue line is also done in a bookstyle way (opening flap on the front of the box,) and seem more in keeping with that particular line. these are really nice to own.

personally, though, I think yamato should stick with the way they're doing it- big boxe aside, they show the toy off well, have a decent feeling of quality to them, and are designed in a way that it's easy to put the toy back in the box safely if I want. that's pretty much everything I want from a box for a toy...

Personally I don't like the robotech MPC bookstyle packaging, as it doesn't seem to relate at all to the toys within.

Yes, that's the point I've been struggling to articulate. What do blue, gold-trimmed books have to do with a cartoon about transforming robots and giant aliens? The books just look like somebody is trying to reproduce...oh, just had a lightbulb moment...the Masterpiece Theater opening, only it says "Robotech" instead of Vanity Fair on the spine of the leatherbound book.

Bah. Goofy.

I think the Banpresto boxes are a superior approach, if you want to "get creative" with a box. Not that it couldn't be done even better.

I would gladly pay the additional $10-20 USD for the nice book style packaging.

I wouldn't. I'd be pissed. <_<

The book style packaging I have no problem with, in fact the materials are nice and it works very well (unlike the MPC itself). The two main reasons I don't care are that I don't care about toy boxes and the RT box isn't my definition of perfect.

Toy boxes ultimately mean nothing to me. If Yamato sold them for $10 cheaper in a brown box, then I'd go for it. I'm not buying a box for any other reason than the pleasure of opening it.

The other terrible thing about the RT MPC boxes (IMHO) is the Tommy Yune artwork on the spines. Not only does it not look like the original character designs (different style + photoshop = not even close) but it also ruins the very "antique" look that the packaging was trying to achieve. It's a major style clash and it looks goofy as hell.

Honestly, Yamato's best boxes were the original 3 DYRL 1/48's. Simple, black, elegant and easy to open. Can't beat that.

The book style packaging I have no problem with, in fact the materials are nice and it works very well (unlike the MPC itself). The two main reasons I don't care are that I don't care about toy boxes and the RT box isn't my definition of perfect.

Toy boxes ultimately mean nothing to me. If Yamato sold them for $10 cheaper in a brown box, then I'd go for it. I'm not buying a box for any other reason than the pleasure of opening it.

The other terrible thing about the RT MPC boxes (IMHO) is the Tommy Yune artwork on the spines. Not only does it not look like the original character designs (different style + photoshop = not even close) but it also ruins the very "antique" look that the packaging was trying to achieve. It's a major style clash and it looks goofy as hell.

Honestly, Yamato's best boxes were the original 3 DYRL 1/48's. Simple, black, elegant and easy to open. Can't beat that.

yup, i care nothing for packageing other than it protects my item from damage.

my low viz 1/48 box is the only one i have ever kept, and i only have it because i'm afraid to transport my 1/48 loose in a box with the rest of my figures.

all the other boxes i've ever gotten have wound up in the trash.

With the 1/100 VF-0S and probably other variants coming, a nice box wouldn't be bad though. I need it to keep all the darn loose parts of that toy together and what better than in a graphicaly appealing and re-usable box.

With the 1/100 VF-0S and probably other variants coming, a nice box wouldn't be bad though. I need it to keep all the darn loose parts of that toy together and what better than in a graphicaly appealing and re-usable box.

What's better? A less crappy VF-0 that doesn't require a parts bin? :lol:

On the more serious side, I keep a small zip lock plastic container that I stow extra guns, heatshields/canopies, etc on my shelf. I just stick it in the back and that way I have whatever I need without digging out some big ol' box.

And yes, I do keep the boxes, but just in case I ever need to sell any of my toys in case of financial disaster.

I'd be pissed too. Fully.

I loved the original DYRL? boxes. They were great. To me, the design of the box represents something precious. If there could be just one improvement to them, then the cardboard should be about 3 - 4 times thicker than they are now. The inside box that holds the valk is fine. It is generally enough to protect the valk.

Edited by kensei

the toynami boxes are cool i guess but i don't have any MPC's so i wouldn't know.  ;) 

the only thing i want yamato to do is decrease the size of ther boxes so it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get them from HK.  :rolleyes:  shipping is way too expensive all because of the ridiculously oversized boxes that they use.

If they packaged them all in robot mode then the boxes would be 1/3 to 1/2 the size.

Not necessarily. Remember the original Macross Plus huge-ass boxes. In particular, the VF-11B. That was a box of empty space -- with a toy thrown in.

In my case, I don't mind so much, though. I can use the area underneath the plastic tray to store all kinds of other stuff (e.g. Banpresto boxes), that way my cupboard isn't full of toy boxes.

As for the graphical design on the box, I agree, the MPC designs are appalling.

I would have liked Yamato to have had screenshots from the anime in their packaging though, like Hasegawa does on the side of their boxes.

They have started to do this with the Millia figures that just came out. I doubt they'll do it for others, though. The worst box design was for the VF-19A in my opinion. Now that they have another VF-X2 product coming up, I'm afraid we may expect another crappy box design...