Yamato YF-19 modifications...

Pat S

I am going to start modifying a YF-19 toy, and re paint when done. Please help give me tips and ideas if you can. I will start dissasembly today and add some pics as I go. I will also add some lineart pics (not scans). I bought a bunch of WAVE joints, I'll take some pics of those too.

My goals...

1 More poseability (legs need to have much more movement at the hips and knees).

2 Closer to the lineart. (legs need to look more like the lineart in the intake area, and sleeker in fighter mode if possible).

Here are some sources for ideas.

1st is a VF-19A customized with ball joints in the hips. My question is, are the ball joints in the crotch, or in the legs?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=8632&hl=

2nd is a custom by VF-19 Pilot!!! who modded his so the legs come further forward.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=8997&hl=

Edited by Pat S

Good luck! Looking forward to see the work on your photographs. :)

Thanks! I took a bunch of pics.

Intake shape. I think the outer shell as well as the inlet needs to be a little more rounded. If you look at the lineart for battloid and gerwalk, the intake changes shape, so I'll have to compromise between the two... with lots of putty I guess.

06.jpg

08.jpg

01.jpg

23.jpg

Maybe some of these gaps can be closed up. I know the shield can be moved forward closer to the head.

33.jpg

post-4-1096168742_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pat S

http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~hekky/toy/YF-19.htm

this guy did a ball joint mod at the hip to make it more posable. since you got a bunch of wave joints im assuming ur doing the same thing.

heres a picture of its posing capabilities. (he did it to his vf-19a too and added his own fast pack)

Vf-19a01.JPG

its good to see other fellow mw members modding their yamato toys. truthfully i was never too satisfied with the 21 or the 19 so I've also been spending the past few weeks modding them too. i got the vf-19a since i plan on recoloring both the 19 and the 21 since im not exactly fond of the purple 21 and the blue vf-19a. i got the vf-19a since it was easier to mod due to the fact that it didnt have the shield gap or knee joint problem. anyways, gluck Pat S on ur mods. hope to see ur progress soon.

Edited by AlphaHX

I always thought that the Yamato Y/VF-19(A) was fat in fighter-mode, so I'm really curious how the VF-19 FP will look like. Hopefully Yamato has made it sleeker.

Is that Spiderman's hand there at the YF-19 toy? :p

I always thought that the Yamato Y/VF-19(A) was fat in fighter-mode, so I'm really curious how the VF-19 FP will look like. Hopefully Yamato has made it sleeker.

Is that Spiderman's hand there at the YF-19 toy? :p

Yeah, a little too fat, it's the lower section of the legs and the crotch plate in fighter mode that bug me most.

Spiderman's foot!

http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~hekky/toy/YF-19.htm

this guy did a ball joint mod at the hip to make it more posable. since you got a bunch of wave joints im assuming ur doing the same thing.

heres a picture of its posing capabilities. (he did it to his vf-19a too and added his own fast pack)

Vf-19a01.JPG

its good to see other fellow mw members modding their yamato toys. truthfully i was never too satisfied with the 21 or the 19 so I've also been spending the past few weeks modding them too. i got the vf-19a since i plan on recoloring both the 19 and the 21 since im not exactly fond of the purple 21 and the blue vf-19a. i got the vf-19a since it was easier to mod due to the fact that it didnt have the shield gap or knee joint problem. anyways, gluck Pat S on ur mods. hope to see ur progress soon.

Ahh, thanks for that link, I was looking for that. So he put the balljoints in the actual upper leg, and didn't mess with the crotch joints. I'm not sure if I have large enough WAVE joints to do that, I'll get the largest one ready and see how much it can handle.

Post pics of your VF-19a mods too if you can. I'd love to see what you do.

post-4-1096168944.jpg

Edited by Pat S

I would like to go with articulated hands.  Anyone got any recomendations?

from the looks of the modded picture of the vf19a, it looks like he used gundam hands. the 1/100 models is about that size. it shouldnt be too bad since all u gotta do is cut off the ball joint and drill a small hole to fit on the yf-19 toy.

heres where you can get the hand. from the look of this one that i found, it looks like this hand has individual fingers. (not positive) just looks that way from the picture.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?BCL2125

from the looks of ur modded vf-11b yamato toy u look like a much better modder than me. im pretty sure u can think of something better.

hope this helps!

good luck!

Edited by AlphaHX

I actually only did one side because I broke one of the wave joints, long story. Also, it's not epoxied in yet, I'm still testing, so it's very loose.

Now I have to buy more joints... I'll get the part numbers for you guys, but the way I ended up doing it, you have to do a bit of custom work.

post-4-1096340579_thumb.jpg

For the crotch ball joints I used the following...

KBYD-718G Kotobukiya Poly Unit Start Set #1 (Gray)

and

WAVOP-201 Wave L-Joint 1 (HLJ has the wrong picture for this item)

The Wave joint by itself snapped together well, but was completely loose inside the socket. The Kotobukiya joint did not snap together well, but it was pretty tight. I got the idea to put the ball from the Kotobukiya set inside the socket from the Wave set, and it snapped together well (will not come out ever), and was way tighter than just the Kotobukiya parts by themselves. Problem was that I had to use pliers to snap them together, and I ended up breaking the second socket. So I have to order new ones. Next problem was that since the new combo was so tight, the shaft of the Kotobukiya ball broke off after moving it a few times. There's no way it would stand up to toy type playing, so I then drilled a hole in the ball and cut off a section of the drill bit, and used that as the new shaft. Hopefully this pic helps explain what I did.

post-4-1096344788_thumb.jpg

A few millimeters and it makes all the difference with the shield. Why didn't Yamato do it in the first place...

Tonight I sanded down the giant wint mount points, and some of the wing edges. The top mount points have been eliminated, and the bottoms have been shortened about 1/3. I will fill the top sections when all of the major mods are complete. In order for the screw to be able to sit flush you have to sand down the little arm that comes off of the leg into the wing. I also had to cut about 1/3rd of the spring off. Amazingly, the wing ratchet is tighter now!

post-4-1096433062_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pat S

Correcting the pieces that Yamato had failted to do so! :p

Goodbye landing gear. I will fill the holes (on the legs too), and scribe in some of those cool looking stealth type landing gear doors, but probably won't have working landing gear (I'll think about it still).

I am going to do some more sanding up front here, and then add some filler under the nose from the cockpit forward, and try to get it to look more like the Hasegawa kit. I have a question though, what's a good filler to use for major mods like this?

post-4-1096541693_thumb.jpg

Its possible to you try to do swappable landings gears instead of no landings gear at all like the SHE yf-19?

What do you plan to do for that (IMO orrible in fighter mode) groin piece?

Yes, I will have to think of a way to do this. It would be nice if they made mini routers, with mini tables too :)

The crotch guard... I am thinking about making it detatchable, but I may not have to yet. I would like to be able to see the gunpod from the front view in any case with no big lump between the intakes. This also means removing and recreating a different mount for the legs. I think this project is going to take a few months. :o