The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

Sad thing is, we're far more likely to see a release of 2 over here than we are of the original.

I dunno... MANNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAA (the company that can't say their own name right) has had the rights to it for a long time and US renditions already did all the work that Manga needs done... all Manga has to do is take the US Renditons masters and transfer them onto DVD... But it's manga so who knows when/if it'll happen.

Just watched episode 1 of Aim for the Top 2. What a load of crap. The animation was excellent, even if the chara and mecha designs sucked. It definitely looks like FLCL all over again. Not just in terms of design, but style as well. It's a lot more cartoonish than the original, that's for sure. They're definitely going for action/comedy, rather than the blend of drama, comedy and action that you'd expect from Gunbuster (nothing like the heart rending opening monologue in the original here). It also felt like there was very little tying it to the original, which might be a good thing. Even if they had made this show completely separate from the Gunbuster setting, it still wouldn't have been that great.

*SPOILERS*

What the hell?! Fine, the characters are psychics, but taking out a space monster with your bare hands in orbit without a space suit? Yeah, I realize it's just a show, but my suspension of disbelief was shot to hell. And yes, the original show had fan service, but having a character rip her shirt off in the middle of a fight for no apparent reason is just beyond gratuitous.

Manga claimed they still had the rights to Giant Robo too, right up until it was announced by Media Blasters (still not sure if I like that or not...). Besides, the whole problem is that Manga would just throw the old U.S. Renditions VHS masters onto DVD, making it out to look like badly compressed hardsubbed crap, just like they did with MP:ME. Now if they went & licensed the new video masters, that'd be something else, but I don't see that happening.

the original show had fan service, but having a character rip her shirt off in the middle of a fight for no apparent reason is just beyond gratuitous.

Hmm, one point in the show's favor so far :)

Edited by Keith

What the hell?! Fine, the characters are psychics, but taking out a space monster with your bare hands in orbit without a space suit? Yeah, I realize it's just a show, but my suspension of disbelief was shot to hell. And yes, the original show had fan service, but having a character rip her shirt off in the middle of a fight for no apparent reason is just beyond gratuitous.

LOL! That's cause her shirt was stuck to the space monster....and she misunderstood the meaning of "Topless" as well. Aim for the Top indeed. :lol:

Well this sequel to Gunbuster really shot up there from a epic story into something wacky, like FLCL. The Buster Machine i believe is modeled after one of those stereotypical highschool gangsters ....what with the long "unbuttoned" jacket and all.

I dunno.....i can grow to like the series, just abit disappointed that this show will continue the gunbuster saga. <_<

IT IS SO FLCL. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is NOT "Gunbuster."

I just liked the nod to Kiki's Delivery Service. Jiji. anyone? Or it could be Sailor Moon too - talking black cats are all the homage!

I guess we Americans weren't the only ones to get the obvious joke about "topless" - building into the first episode like that, plus mirroring our fave heroine's last act in Gunbuster 1, was a nice touch.

Still love the music.

Episode 1 Spoilers

So Nono wants to go get a job as a space pilot. She runs away from home, moves to the city and gets a job in a little restaruant... Okay that's fine. There are talking cats and an elite group of space pilots called Topless, who have psychic powers... Getting out there but I can handle it. The Buster Machine shows up with classic "Aim for the Top" music... yayyy that's cool. A Space monster drags Nono off into space and into martian orbit, with no protection. Okay Fine but you'd think she'd die rigt? No she's alive and she rips off her shirt (cause it wouldn't be Gunbuster without breats... never mind we are in outer space)... and she does her own version of the SUPER INASUMA KICK! and she actually seriously hurts the monster with her foot...

What has happened to Aim for the Top?

Edited: cause the first post was awful.

Edited by lord_breetai

Cancelled my pre-order for the first DVD of the second series. I'm kind of partial to FLCL, but I do not want to see Aim for the Top! done that way. Way to go Gainax. You have raped my memory of a classic anime.

Then again, the original started off kind of wacky before getting all serious. Then again, who am I kidding?

Cancelled my pre-order for the first DVD of the second series. I'm kind of partial to FLCL, but I do not want to see Aim for the Top! done that way. Way to go Gainax. You have raped my memory of a classic anime.

Then again, the original started off kind of wacky before getting all serious. Then again, who am I kidding?

I'd say download the Fansub at least... I don't think its worth buying but give it a try... It wasn't my post that changed your mind was it?

I'd say download the Fansub at least... I don't think its worth buying but give it a try... It wasn't my post that changed your mind was it?

No, I've already seen it. Not my cup of tea, and this coming from the largest Gunbuster fan in the galaxy.

You know, watching it now, I think you all missed the boat (whether you liked it or not). The original was a homage piece, and played up every cliche in anime. That is EXACTLY what 2 is, an homage piece to the last 15 years of anime since the original came out. Cats talk in 2 because there were talking cats in Sailor Moon. The psychic characters, the silliness, its all about the last 15 years in anime.

Whether you like it or not is another matter. Its exactly what the original was, just with 15 more years of anime behind it.

I, too, am a huge Gunbuster fan. It's by far my favorite anime. I've seen some of the raw(I'm too sick to pay attention to anything at the moment). So far, I've liked what I've seen. Sure, it looks like FLCL, so what? That doesn't bother me. I liked the homages used to the first series. The cgi blends rather well. The music is spot on(especially the Buster Machine's enterence). I also agree with Duke Togo on the homages as well. All in all, since I know I'll never love this the way I love Gunbuster, I'll sit back and enjoy the ride. It may still be very interesting. :ph34r:

I have two problems with it. 1, the character designs are poor, and 2, the animation is OK at best. I think the mecha designs are appropiate.

Do you know who handled the character designs? I can see why everyone thinks this is FLCL influenced (and that really isn't a bad thing).

Beautiful animation though (well duh....it's GAINAX), I guess I'll be keeping up with this series as well.

You know, watching it now, I think you all missed the boat (whether you liked it or not). The original was a homage piece, and played up every cliche in anime. That is EXACTLY what 2 is, an homage piece to the last 15 years of anime since the original came out. Cats talk in 2 because there were talking cats in Sailor Moon. The psychic characters, the silliness, its all about the last 15 years in anime.

Whether you like it or not is another matter. Its exactly what the original was, just with 15 more years of anime behind it.

Ya know, the weird thing is that's exactly how I feel about it.... Yet, I can't get myself to like the second series. Maybe it's because the animation seems piss poor to me or the fact I feel Gunbuster was so perfect on it's own it doesn't need a sequel. I don't know but I still dislike it........

I just checked out gunbuster2 and was like WTF? is this Furi kuri 2? did I download the wrong one? after a couple of back and forth , it really was gunbuster 2 and I was like *sigh*,, I guess I was expecting another form of style/art work,, anything but FLCL. I would of prefered their Mahoromatic style more. If only FLCL never exsited.. :angry:

I noticed while watching the "coming next episode" bit, that there seems to be more than one "Buster Pilot". Does this mean there is more than one Buster Machine? Is Diebuster a little like the Sizzler mass production models we saw in the original? Is there something larger and more powerful to come?? I wonder...

Gainax doesn't refer to it as Gunbuster 2, do they? I hadn't looked, but it seems like its just "Aim For The Top! 2". Diebuster may just be it, then.

I couldn't even watch more than a minute, sheesh, too much like Gigantor or something. Definitely for kids, except the fanservice...

LOL, too much like Gigantor? You have seen the original, haven't you? You do know the influences behind it, right?

Paying homage to anime is one thing. The original series first episode was a carbon copy of the first episode of Aim for the Ace! But the talking cat and the fight in space without a spacesuit is, to use the vernacular Aiming Way Over the Top! I can understand Gainax's obssessive use of other genre in their anime series, but sometimes it's too much. In my opinion, the FCLC look is not appropriate here, seeing as how the original was so beautifully drawn. Sure, the newer animation looks nice, but Mikimoto's designs on the original lent a sense of realism which was heightened by the emotion used by the voice actors themselves. I will probably continue to watch this series as it progresses. I may even begin to like it. Hopefully Gainax will take this series in the same direction the original went and it will end dramatically. I'm trying really hard to be objective here...

Duke Togo = I noticed while watching the "coming next episode" bit, that there seems to be more than one "Buster Pilot". Does this mean there is more than one Buster Machine? Is Diebuster a little like the Sizzler mass production models we saw in the original? Is there something larger and more powerful to come?? I wonder...

Gainax doesn't refer to it as Gunbuster 2, do they? I hadn't looked, but it seems like its just "Aim For The Top! 2". Diebuster may just be it, then.

The original series has always been known as Aim for the Top! in Japan, even though there is the word Gunbuster under the title. It became the norm by its fans to call the series Gunbuster after it came to the US in the early 90's. As for the newer mecha, the name DIX-NEUF would suggest that there are more than one. DIX-NEUF is French for 19. And I hope the original Gunbuster can hold onto its reigning title of the largest piloted robot in anime (I am not including the Buster Machine Three, which was a planet, after all).

Jemstone = Gunbuster was so perfect on it's own it doesn't need a sequel. I don't know but I still dislike it........

I agree with Jemstone here. The original did not need a sequel. It ended perfectly. But, there are 5 more episodes to go. We will see what the future holds.

That's an interesting way to look at it.

And I think I agree. Despite Gunbuster being a parody/homage to super robo anime, I kinda liked it for what it was, an epic space opera. And I think most of us here are like that and expect some sort of epic space drama sequel.

Overall, it doesn't feel like the 1s gunbuster, but i'll give it a chance, being a huge Gunbuster fan and all that.

And about Buster Machines, yes i'm quite sure there are a number of Buster Machines right now, since during Noriko's time, they had those Silver something mass production buster machines.....

But I STILL can't get over the fact that the new Buster machine looks like a delinquent high school student. <_<

I wanted to like it, to some small degree, at least... but even that's pretty damn hard for me at this point.

I think what bugged me the most was that they made little effort to tie it to the original series. If it wasn't for the title and the Gunbuster theme as the Dix-Neuf made its grand entrance, you never would have known it's a Gunbuster sequel. They never even mentioned what year it takes place in, leaving you guessing even more as to what's happened since the end of the first series. Hopefully the backstory will be filled in with the upcoming episodes though...

But what bugs me most of all is the Buster Machine design. It definitely looks really weird and all, but it was animated really well, and it even looked kinda cool in action. So I might have been able to actually grow to like it. That is, if only it wasn't so Eva-ish. The similarities are pretty uncanny, if you ask me. The Dix-Neuf is like a transformable, and slightly more user-friendly version of an Eva.

I suppose you could call it another of the anime references Gainax is throwing into Gunbuster 2... But I'm finding it odd that all of the references I've been seeing are ALL Gainax shows.

In the first series, it was all over the board. They threw in references from EVERYWHERE. From scenes straight out of shoujo anime (Aim for the Ace), to scenes mimicking cheesy live action SF movie SFX, to real-world stuff that really made no sense (like the train conductor's controls inside the Buster Machines). And even the Gunbuster itself seems to be a parody of many, many old Super Robot designs. Especially in how the transformation/combination is obviously impossible, even though they showed you EXACTLY how it happens :p

There were a few Gainax refernces in the original, but they were all little stuff. The names of ships from Nadia (Exelion and Eltreum) are the only ones that come to mind. Nothing nearly as overbearing as the FLCL and Eva references we saw in Top 2.

So it seems like the many of the anime referances and in-jokes they're using this time are quite uninspired compared to the original. Unless we're all missing something here.

But in any case, I'll keep watching... and keep praying that Top 2 does at least some justice to the original...

Yeah, the first one paid a lot of homage to it's anime predecessors, but it still had a lot of depth. This new one just feels shallow. Plus, I getting tired of Gainax homage shows. I can only think of a three or four things they've done that haven't been homages. It was cool when Top wo Nerae! was new, but now it's old and tired.

I noticed while watching the "coming next episode" bit, that there seems to be more than one "Buster Pilot". Does this mean there is more than one Buster Machine? Is Diebuster a little like the Sizzler mass production models we saw in the original? Is there something larger and more powerful to come?? I wonder...

That was the assumption I made going into this... I mean even the original, it's not Gunbuster or even Aim for the top Gunbuter... it's just "top o nerae" I think the title Gunbuster is more of a Fan thing, though US Renditions did call it that name... I think maybe cause it has more *pazaz* then Aim for the Top. Lets face it Aim for the Top sounds like a sports show, Gunbuster sounds like a scifi giant robot show.

Oh by the way I actually like the show... my "grrr, argh" post was more about "Is this really Gunbuster?"

But Togo's comments make sense.

Edited by lord_breetai

Well, the opening titles always showed it as "Aim for the Top! Gunbuster", and its so much easier to just call it "Gunbuster". Maybe the problem is that we are all looking at this as a "Gunbuster" sequel, instead of just "Aim for the Top! 2".

I have two problems with it. 1, the character designs are poor, and 2, the animation is OK at best. I think the mecha designs are appropiate.

Do you know who handled the character designs? I can see why everyone thinks this is FLCL influenced (and that really isn't a bad thing).

Beautiful animation though (well duh....it's GAINAX), I guess I'll be keeping up with this series as well.

The character designs were by yoshiyuki sadamoto. he's no Mikamoto, but I still love his work. As for this not tying into the first, Yamaga stated by the end of the series that they would. He gave the impression that great things were in the making. Hopefully, that plays out.