The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

So basically what yer saying is that they pulled an NGE on you or they didn't tie-up all of the ducks in a row so you could have a sense of completeness.

*goes back to waiting for his download*

425237[/snapback]

Let's just say that it had just as much closure as Gunbuster :)

I highly doubt there will be a Top 2 sequel. But then again, there is that movie version coming... I've gotta wonder what they'll add to it...

Just finished watching it and while it's something of a let down action-wise compared to episodes 4&5. Except for OVER THE TOP-ness. It completed it's story well and doesn't seem to be distruptive to the orginal GB at all. In fact it goes a way towards answering some of the questions that people who watched the first GB had. However fans like Noriko Takaya, who cannot help but bring to the table thier experience, will feel that it's an insult to the orginal GB.

It also did the classic job of implied mortality with the characters wrapping up their personal situations, too classically IMO because it felt stilted and blah. The art though, like most series, looks to have stepped up in quality. As did they Nono Uber-'bot did(what was she like 8,000 kilometers in height?). :lol: I still love how they keep the show humorous by showing that lol moon imprint! :D

And before someone brings up again the 'Their sacrifice was a waste!' comment. I'd like to point out that they were both soldiers(well Noriko was more of a soldier than Amano was because she was running away from the death of coach) knowing that some actions were a waste and also knowing that this was thier last straw in the war, both had experience in time dialation so understood the results. Also that it may seem like a waste from your viewpoint, it wasn't a waste in theirs and we should honor that seniment.

This series goes right next too my Getter Robo discs!!! And I'm soooo getting that Bome statuette!

Yeah, action wise, it was a letdown. The whole 8 minutes or so of the start I was thinking, "Why don't they just get to the action and main story already? We already had this Lark emo stuff last episode?!"

For all the years we have been wondering what Daibuster was... well, when it finally appeared I was mixed on it.

Remember the tension that you felt when the last episode of the original was in full swing and how they depicted the scale of what is at risk? The tension in this last episode wasn't near to that in spite of the massive things in play.

I remember back in 2003 when the director stated he wanted to inject an FLCL feel into the series. Now looking back, I think it was a bigass mistake. Why couldn't he have just kept with the tone and look of the original instead of going with a look and feel of the hip anime of the moment? I'm not saying I hate Top O Nerae 2, but I have this feeling of missed opportunity when I think what it could have been with a different director that was more conventional in his thinking and not one that wanted to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by Seven

I agree with Seven and Chrono. This series is nice, and I like it for what it is, but it could have been more. Doesn't hold a candle to the original despite its many similarities, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, how could you outdo Aim For The Top? :)

I agree with Seven and Chrono. This series is nice, and I like it for what it is, but it could have been more. Doesn't hold a candle to the original despite its many similarities, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, how could you outdo Aim For The Top?  :)

425446[/snapback]

I don't see it being 'better' or even out doing anything. Around these forums if 3-4 artists/designers names are connected to something then it gets attention. Too much sometimes. Frankly I think that Gainax should get back some of the tradional character concept artists increasing their quality and move away from that damned stupid insanity anime that they think still works. HELLO IT WAS A FAD!!!

But I do like how they placed the series real end more then 10 years into the future. It helped to prove some extra closure for the characters and the series and proved a descent segway between the two series. However I'm still slightly confused about why the main character was so damned "off" after episode 4 and why Nono basically continously had to cheerleader her on with all the Noriko references. It really clouded the story. I did dig the quick image of the Eltrium during the meeting though! That proved a rather nasty twist.

The more I think about it Noriko becomes much like the Eternal Mythical hero/surviver from a battle. Much like in the Odessy(spl).

But I do like how they placed the series real end more then 10 years into the future. It helped to prove some extra closure for the characters and the series and proved a descent segway between the two series. However I'm still slightly confused about why the main character was so damned "off" after episode 4 and why Nono basically continously had to cheerleader her on with all the Noriko references. It really clouded the story. I did dig the quick image of the Eltrium during the meeting though! That proved a rather nasty twist.

The more I think about it Noriko becomes much like the Eternal Mythical hero/surviver from a battle. Much like in the Odessy(spl).

425515[/snapback]

Hey Chrono, can you explain what was that whole deal with them showing the Eltreum? I didn't understand what they were talking about when they showed it.

Ended pretty much how i thought it would, but the final showdown with uchuu kaijiu was quite a disappointment. Didn't understand most of what was happening as i couldn't catch the japanese. 

Am still in Japan.

Hey Chrono, can you explain what was that whole deal with them showing the Eltreum?  I didn't understand what they were talking about when they showed it.

425545[/snapback]

Ditto! It's been long assumed that the Eltrium was the place that showed up in Episode 3. But in ep 6 they show it partial undamaged! Gonna have to wait for the dub on that one. :blink::huh:

Ended pretty much how i thought it would, but the final showdown with uchuu kaijiu was quite a disappointment. Didn't understand most of what was happening as i couldn't catch the japanese. 

425567[/snapback]

There's a synopsis of the episode in this post.

425567[/snapback]

There's a synopsis of the episode in this post.

426308[/snapback]

Thanks for that link! They point out some very interesting stuff, though I think I touched on one of the points pages back about Lark's GB age.

Awesome. I tried to get it during wonderfest but it was sold out (200 of them) within 15 minutes. >_<

Anyway was able to preorder it so will be getting it eventually in 15 mins.

WF had a big Top2 event. Yukari the seeiyuu for Nono was there....pretty emotional moment for her when asked how she felt since episode 6 was the last episode. Maya sakamoto and other cast members were there as well. Hideaki Anno made a surprise visit and gave all the cast flowers. Shortly later, Yukari changed into Nono costume and started singing some Gunbuster/Top 2 songs. Crowd was pumped up. Then they showed the Gunbuster/Diebuster trailer for the movie.

Will tell more when i get back from Japan.

If I were to get a Gunbuster figure, does this do any justice?

http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD01027

424792[/snapback]

Avoid that thing like the plague. It's dreadful and a complete waste of money.

424903[/snapback]

I wouldn't go that far, but I do loath the flimsy leg joint. I don't regret getting it though. I'd love to get the previous one. It should help in designing my eventual costume though.

The Noriko statue's worth the $35 I paid for it at AX. It pretty much made the con for me as I'd been looking all over for it.

I still haven't watch episodes 4 and 5 subtitled, and Diebuster 6 is out...

I think I'll wait until it's subbed, then watch the whole thing in one fell swoop.

Those Nono figures look pretty sweet. I'll definitely get the BOME one, as I really like the figures of his I already have.

If I were to get a Gunbuster figure, does this do any justice?

http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD01027

424792[/snapback]

Avoid that thing like the plague. It's dreadful and a complete waste of money.

424903[/snapback]

I would not say it is that bad. While it might not be as posable as some of the High end figures out there.

But as a Married with 2 kids Gunbuster fan on a budget like me :) it is a pretty cool figure for the price

I keep it in cross arms mode after playing around with it. Not revoltech playable. But cool enough. Still waiting on Bandai's SOC. I believe the launchpad will be included with it cause in all the different displays i've seeen in WF and CH, they all had it in robot mode and also seperated with launchpads and 2 RXs holding landing batons.

I'm now in thailand for a job for 3 weeks. Internet is a batty. I wanna upload all my WF pics but internet sux here. >_<

And while I'm at it, another torrent that turned up this morning

Top 2 Drama CD

424795[/snapback]

Ok, just a heads up, but there's a pretty god awful version of Fly High on that disc. A really squeeky vocal version. Basically a Nono kareoke ersion. Boy does it sound like it too. It's somewhat amusing in a campy way, but also somewhat insulting to such a great song. :blink:

The last track is awesome though. Even if I can't understand most of it. "Super Buster Cross! Omega Flash!!!"

Out of curiousity, has a soundtrack ever been released for this series? I'd really like to get the arranged versions of the classic score.

Wolfx, I look forward to your updates. How did the trailers look?

The trailers were nothing much to shout about. Just scenes from the 2 TOPs spliced with some music. Quite shiver inducing. ;)

I'm still not sure if the movie will have new animation/scenes in there.

• 3 weeks later...