The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

Okay, I started this thread for the sole purpose of reporting any new news on the front relating to my favorite anime series and to alleviate any confusion over past topics. All Gunbuster related stuff should be placed here from now on.

The past few months have been busy in regards to Aim for the Top! Gainax has partnered with Bandai once again to produce a sequel to Gunbuster which is slated for release in November of 2004. A lot of buzz has already been generated in these forums because of this, with most of the fans feeling a little disappointed. Only time will tell how this series will come out. I plan on ordering the first DVD from CD Japan to see what it is like, but at something like $30 to $40 an episode I may wait for the bootlegs to finish the series. I will post images from the disc when they are available. The old thread for the Gunbuster 2 debate is: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=7849&hl=

The second bit of new news is the release of the Gunbuster Perfect Guide on DVD. It looks as if this set will feature quite a bit on the creation of the first series as well as some items to be found only on the DVD. You can view the original thread about this at http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=9339&hl= or the update at http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=456&hl=.

And lastly, there is the eternal (It sure seems eternal) debate over the future of Gunbuster here in North America. While most of Europe and Asia have a release of Aim for the Top! on DVD, we poor Americans have been trying to get the most out of our old US Renditions VHS tapes. Manga Entertainment dropped Gunbuster from its products roster , and it can no longer be found on its site. Rumor has it that they still retain the license to the show, but are refusing to do anything with it because of it being "an older series", to use their words. Those of you who know me on these boards realize how much I care for this series, and how much it pisses me off to see Manga Entertainment keep it locked up in a closet somewhere.

So, if any of you out there has any new stuff to post, this is the place to do it.

Both the July issues of Animage and Newtype (the real Newtype) have articles on the 20th anniversary of Gainax and have pictures from the supposed Top wo Nare! sequal. *shudder* I think I am going to work very hard and try to convince myself that there is no sequal and that any reference to such is merely seepage from an alternate reality... you know, the kind in Star Trek where everyone is evil.

The August issue of Newtype USA has a one-page article on Gunbuster 2. The new Buster Machine is known as the DIX-NEUF.

ACK! Sounds like if you change the E and the N around you will have DIX-ENUF for everyone! Perhaps this is Gainax's way of saying that we should just bend over and accept this.

If I wasn't so hardcore on seeing how bad the new series is going to be, I probably would cancel my pre-order on the DVD.

Here ya go. Region 3 version of Gunbuster with English subs

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-.../section-anime/

I'm not sure if these are remastered though since the new R2's aren't out yet.

yesasia.com has those for preorder too

http://us.yesasia.com/en/SrAllDept.aspx?se...0&str=gunbuster

EDIT Now it seems the R3 set has no English subs but it says it does on the package.. <_<

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?...sb=5&o=&fpart=4

Edited by dejr8bud

I'll just wait for the R1...whoever winds up releasing it. Looks like my US Renditions VHS tapes are the last survivors of my VHS tape days...

There is more likely to be a R1 release of Aim for the Top! 2 on DVD before there is one of the original Gunbuster.

I'll just wait for the R1...whoever winds up releasing it.  Looks like my US Renditions VHS tapes are the last survivors of my VHS tape days...

There is more likely to be a R1 release of Aim for the Top! 2 on DVD before there is one of the original Gunbuster.

I really want to see how 2 will turn out. On one hand, the atrocious designs and characters displayed thus far. On the other...a lil faith in Gainax.

I don't know what the material was in the August issue, but September's issue of Newtype USA has a two page article on Top O Nerae 2! which is basically nothing more that an English reprint of the article in the July issue released in Japan. However, there is this little statement by director Kazuya Tsurumaki which states that one of his aims in making the series is "to give it a FLCL-ishness.", using his words.

If that's any indication of how this show is going to turn out, then maybe I ought to cancel my preorder for the DVD. I can understand a little parody, because that is what made the original Gunbuster so damned great, but if it is going to be a dramatic, hardcore science-fiction series mixed with comedic crack, then I want no part of it. Now where's that little 'puking smilie' when I need it?

As an edit to the original post regarding the DIX-ENUF, oops, DIX-NEUF: this particular Buster machine is piloted by Raruku, the greatest TOPLESS pilot Earth has to offer. She is a member of The Fraternity, a group formed to fight the space monsters. She's also a snob and thinks her shee-it does not stink.

Holy batpoop! I just got an e-mail from Manga Entertainment regarding the Gunbuster license not even five minutes ago!

Get this, they (Mike Egan) state that "they have retained the license to Gunbuster and still have the product for sale on VHS, and are currently looking to start production on a DVD edition sometime in the forseeable future."

Well, well, well... I wonder what this means for those of us looking for a North American release? Probably not much, because I will not believe it until I see it. It could be that Manga knew all along that Gainax was going to remaster the series and were just waiting to get their hands on a cleaner copy. Who knows?

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Holy batpoop! I just got an e-mail from Manga Entertainment regarding the Gunbuster license not even five minutes ago!

Get this, they (Mike Egan) state that "they have retained the license to Gunbuster and still have the product for sale on VHS, and are currently looking to start production on a DVD edition sometime in the forseeable future."

Well, well, well... I wonder what this means for those of us looking for a North American release? Probably not much, because I will not believe it until I see it. It could be that Manga knew all along that Gainax was going to remaster the series and were just waiting to get their hands on a cleaner copy. Who knows?

Cool news :)

I'm with you. For how many years did they keep telling us that they were working on the Giant Robo DVD release? Then we suddenly hear that they don't even have the show and that another company is releasing it.

They've been announcing Gunbuster for at least 3-4 years now, and have turned out jack. Manga can go the way of streamline at this point ofr all I care (and default Plus to Bandai or something).

Ughhhkkk!!! I've been waiting for 10 years for a sequel to Gunbuster and they trot out this FLCL-wannabee anime with a french maid pilot and a reject robeast out of Voltron?!! No wait, I take that back, the Dicks Enuff looks more like a Giant Robo badguy robot that ran off with Jojo's clothes from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure!

Man, some things just do not need to be tinkered with.

Ughhhkkk!!! I've been waiting for 10 years for a sequel to Gunbuster and they trot out this FLCL-wannabee anime with a french maid pilot and a reject robeast out of Voltron?!! No wait, I take that back, the Dicks Enuff looks more like a Giant Robo badguy robot that ran off with Jojo's clothes from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure!

Man, some things just do not need to be tinkered with.

Sorry, but exactly why does it need a sequal? The ending was beautiful. Trying to tack anything on after that would only ruin it.

Thank you gainax for pissing on my teenage years.

Gunbuster a long time ago in a galexy far far away was one of the first subbed anime tapes i ever saw(well you know the us renditions realise) and to this day this short 6 ep series holds a special place in my heart right along side macross.

To see gainax do this really really makes me mad, i mean, they milk eva to death, and then they put out this? as if overmilking wasnt enough, pissing on one of the things that made the studio great in the first place is just wrong. and thats how i felt before i watched the trailer.

So i watch the trailer at work,yesterday, and im simply horrified at how,bad this is. for one, the series looks to take place on earth, the only good thing i could find in the trailer and thats digging way way way deep here,was the use of slightly remixed music from the orignal gunbuster oav in the trailer. ether way i check out the first ep, forget it exsists, and keep telling myself

There are only 6 episodes of gunbuster and thats all.

I saw no mention of this elsewhere in the thread and if I'm reading this right it looks like Gunbuster will be seeing a DVD rerelease soon in Japan. I'm not sure if this is remastered in any way or a deluxe edition. The translation I read was somewhat garbled.

Edited by halfan