I passed on an available EVA renewal-box

treatment

So yesterday (9/10/03), I was checking out the local japanese market to buy pocky almonds and, as always, wandered into manga/dvd/audio store inside.

There I saw, still in it's still-sealed brown packaging-box, with pretty much an un-noticeable profile until you stop and try to read and then realized what the label on the box was stating:

Neon Genesis Evangelion Renewal boxset.

The swanky uber-kewl red-foldout Region-2-only release that I've only seen pics.

I can't believe it. It's supposed to be sold-out in Japan and not available here in the States. Yet, there it is. Still sealed.

Since there was only two customers there at that time (including me) and the other dude was busy pre-ordering some Japanese music or something, I asked the other clerk, non-chalantly, how much the brown box-package (the EVA renewal box) was.

The clerk looked it up, checked his price-table on it, and shake his head to me with some hesitation. I was expecting an answer that it's already sold or is not available for sale, but the answer was neither:

Clerk:  You don't wanna know.

me:  Yes, I do wanna know. Is it already taken?

Clerk:  No, it's still available for sale. But I'm not sure you'll like the price.

me:  Just say it, dude.

Clerk:  $425. + california-tax.

me:  oh, alrighty then.  it's too much, dude.

Clerk:  Yeah. I would've bought it for myself if the price was like 50% lower.  I haven't even seen the inside of it. I just read the label as EVA.

me: Bummer.  It's not worth it, then.

Clerk: I can't afford it.  Do you wanna buy it?

me: Nahh. I'll pass.  I'm an EVA-fan, but I ain't gonna take it in the rear for that price. Thanks, anyway.

I'm not sure if the Renewal-box package is still there today.

But I passed on it. I feel kinda weirded out about it, but I just can't afford that much on it. I'm still saving up for the 1/48 FAST-packs and other stuff.

Would any of you other EVA-fans pass on it, too, given the $425+tax price?

Screw that noise. I just got the whole EVA series in one of the ADV numbered Paul Champagne boxed sets complete with both movies from a guy on Ebay for $130.00.

I have seen some pics of the remastered stuff, and it's not all that much better than the original. I mean, let's face it, at least with the Macross set, you were paying for them having remastered, and restored alot of 20 year old footage. Evangelion is from 95, it doesn't need restoration.

Hey treatment? Where in CA are you? (hopes the store is IN Norcal)  :ph34r:

Bummer, dude.

I'm in Southern Cali. SD.

The marketplace is called Mitsuwa Market. I dunno the name of the store that has the EVA-Renewal box, but is inside of Mitsuwa Market.

Is the mitsuwa market place your talking about in LA, or is it in SD? I'ma have to check the LA mitsuwa anyway. I just wanna look at it in person. No way am I shelling out 425 for dvd's like that. It's gotta be made of platinum for me to even think about buying it. :p:D:lol:

Hey treatment? Where in CA are you? (hopes the store is IN Norcal)  :ph34r:

Bummer, dude.

I'm in Southern Cali. SD.

The marketplace is called Mitsuwa Market. I dunno the name of the store that has the EVA-Renewal box, but is inside of Mitsuwa Market.

Is the mitsuwa market place your talking about in LA, or is it in SD? I'ma have to check the LA mitsuwa anyway. I just wanna look at it in person. No way am I shelling out 425 for dvd's like that. It's gotta be made of platinum for me to even think about buying it. :p:D:lol:

The one I saw was in SD and only had one copy.

Maybe the LA store has more copies or something.

You made the right choice. I'm as big an Eva fan as anyone else on these boards, but there's no possibility whatsoever I'd drop that much money on a dvd set - I don't care how good those remasters look.

Go out and treat yourself and your significant other to a night on the town with the money you saved. You'll be much happier you did.

Or, if not, there's always lots of new toys to buy ... :D

CD Japan lists it as having been 39,800 yen (sold out now, of course), so $425.00 isn't too bad, really. If I were any sort of big fan of the series, I wouldn've considered getting it if I'd been in your position.

Okay, some people need to get a clue. Anime in Japan isn't cheap. People get spoiled by the prices in the US and seem to assume that's what everyone gets to pay. Do a little checking up on how things work before you comense to bitching.

Oh, and scripts for all 26 eps (TV and home video release) of Eva are not too difficult to find.