Low Vis Paper Monster

Mule

Here is my paper monster. I just wanted something to keep me busy on a long (3712 mile/ 5974km) road trip. It ended up taking me 2 months to complete (the model, not the road trip). My color printer at home doesn't work any more and I didn't want to waste color toner at work, so I just printed the thing on a black and white laser printer. The paper was 90lb 8.5x11 inch stock. I just used standard Elmer's white glue to hold it together. Enough words, here are some pics:

post-3-1063300951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mule

Thanks!

Its just the standard cheapo 90lb card stock from Office Max. The images were lightened a little so I didn't blaze through toner, and the thing was just run through a B/W laser printer.

Just as hard as a color one :D Seriously, there are some tiny parts and intricate cutting and folding. I've never done a paper model before, and I can't say I'll be rushing to do another one any time soon.

Just as hard as a color one :D Seriously, there are some tiny parts and intricate cutting and folding. I've never done a paper model before, and I can't say I'll be rushing to do another one any time soon.

Yeah that thing is a pain in the ass to build ain't it? I did one, won't do it again.

Just as hard as a color one :D  Seriously, there are some tiny parts and intricate cutting and folding.  I've never done a paper model before, and I can't say I'll be rushing to do another one any time soon.

Yeah that thing is a pain in the ass to build ain't it? I did one, won't do it again.

Looks great! That gave me an idea to do a two-tone Monster, e.g. gray joints/struts and green armor. Custom paper Monster! Now that I have some time, I think I will tackle this monster task. :lol:

I'd love to give it a try. What kind of paper did you use, and where did you get it?

I saw you said 90lb paper, I've got an office max near me, and I know the Photo paper can be like 125lb, would that work?

How many sheets did you need?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

I saw you said 90lb paper, I've got an office max near me, and I know the Photo paper can be like 125lb, would that work?

How many sheets did you need?

This was just normal card stock. Nothing fancy. The 90lb was a little thin for some parts, so I re-enforced it by glueing another layer to the back. This was only a problem with some large, flat areas, and not for most of the mech. I think the next paper weight up was 110lbs. I might try that, but no heavier.

I think the sheet count was somewhere around 25. The sheets are all lettered from A to U, but some of them must be printed twice for symetrical parts.

Good luck.

I just used good ol' Elmer's white glue. I used the standard bottle applicator which led to glue gobs instead of a nice little bead. You can see the effect of the leaks on the underside of the cannon barrels. If you can controll the stuff, it works great since it dries fast and solid.

• 5 months later...
Awesome! the white showing on the folded edges looks like drybrushing :D

I never thought of it that way. I was just pissed that the toner was flaking off. Thanks for the new perspective :)

Anybody else working on one of these? I'm just starting on the second arm of mine.

see my Southcross Model Monstrosities thread. I'm working on a drastically enlarged version of this model... I'm right now also designing Ver 3.0 thats going to be even bigger, custom/cleanup of image quality... possibly even a paint job if I can solve the "paper distortion" problem.

Just to give you an idea of how big Ver 2.0 is... its one foot is about the size of a dollar bill.... Ver. 3.0 is going to be about 33% larger. Its going to be bigger than the Yamato 1/60.

I'm also planning/laying out other Paper Models to be "monstrosities"

Yeah, I knew you were working on a larger one, I just didn't know you were planning one even bigger than that.

hehe well I've got the same "Eveil" mind as Doctor Evil :D "For 100Billion Dollars...."

(not knowing the exact finished dimensions of the original paper monster)... individual part dimensions of the one I am working on now is 133-135% (33%-35% bigger)... making the one I am working on 2.46x bigger than the typical one ;)

The printer(s) I have at work: In B&W I can print up to 14"x17" paper, and in Color I can do up to 12x18. Now they really frown apon using the color printer for personal stuff <_< So I'm stuck with B&W, but we may be getting rid of the machine we have now, and if so I might be free to try and use up the stock we have for the machine (who would buy old toner?)

As for the newer "monstrosity"... I have re-layed each individual piece onto 11x17, trying to maximize the surface (making the largest part use the whole sheet, etc). Now I made a booboo after doing most of the pages, I came across one part that didn't "fit" on 11x17, so I fudged... I layed this one page for 12x17 ;) I'm just gonna trim an inch off one of our 12x18 sheets. To again give you an idea of "size" the individual dimensions are 150% (50% Bigger). Compete the ver 3.0 will be 3.375x bigger. :blink:

I am "Evil" Southcross B))

At that enormous scale, I think you are going to need to put in some re-enforcements on many of the large, flat areas. What I did in some cases was add another paper layer to the back of the pice I found to be too flimsy. For yours, you might need some kind of titanium structure underneath ;)