The AVP MegaThread

Well I finally saw AVP tonight in theatres.

+++ SPOILER ALERT +++

It just seemed way rushed... plus it was lame that most of the predators died in a lame way. Plus, why the hell did they change the predator's vision? That looked terrible. I mean... geez... no wonder they got owned by the aliens they couldn't see sh!t. The queen... ok... she's big... kinda cool... but I just don't vibe with the preds running around in the snow. . . along with the aliens. The backstory, while having some cool cg effects of predators fighting off aliens.... just seemed stupid, I can think of any number of stories that would be stupid... but fit a whole lot better. I DO like the fact that the predator's invisibility looks absolutely GORGEOUS... the special effects were top notch and easily beat out any of the other films... but something was missing throughout that I was never able to really put my finger on. I think Anderson must be an aliens fan because those predators got killed WAY too quickly. I mean... christ... the USCM lasted longer than the predators and preds have a long history of fighting them. ALSO... if the predators could see that people were infected by using their x-ray vision, why didn't the whole ship of preds notice their comrade's infection? I mean, assuming he was still alive(to be able to host the alien) then how the hell did that predalien larvae get on that ship? Why was the aliens' incubation stage reduced to like 10 min? Why were they able to grow to FULL SIZE within such a short period? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?

As most of you know, I gave this movie a benefit of a doubt and went in with an open mind. I will admit that there were some awesome moments(such as the pred stabbing the queen in the neck w/ his combi stick) and the lil bladey throwey thingie. I rate this a C-. It had so much potential... it could have been exponentially better. If I am expected to add this to my DVD collection... there had better be some cool gimmick on the DVDs... like a different movie.

I never thought I would say this, but while my childhood hasn't been raped persay... Paul W.S. Anderson has certainly touched it in an inappropriate way. He has the achievement of single handedly making the worst Alien and Predator movies at the same time.

I just saw the movie this evening as well. I don't think I've ever sunk so low in my chair as I did with this movie, as I tried to hide myself from the far too many embaressing moments in the story.

-----------------SPOILER ALERT?---------------------------

Generally, the glaring fault that I find with AVP is not the action or even the story if you can believe that, rather the way that they executed the story and its characters. For example, both Alien and Predator films envoked great tension and an underlying fear of some horrific event that was to come next. In this movie, the rushed pace of the story cheats the fear factor of the aliens and predators, reducing them to just two sides of creatures trying to kill one another with ignorant humans caught in the middle of the conflict. Heck, even the humans in AVP didn't seem particularly afraid of the aliens or predators. Do any of you remember the way "Dutch" and his squad initially reacted to the predator? Or the way Lambert was paralyzed with fear and reduced to tears in the garage decks of the Nostromo as the Alien cornered her?

That of course brings me to another issue, which is the acting. Te-rri-ble. These guys must have been picked fresh out of your local high school drama club, with the exception of Tom Cruise's cousin who played one of the wimpy soldiers. 'Lex, the main human character, did NOT convince me that she was caught in the middle of a galactic war between murderous creatures bent on bloody murder. The other actors/characters were so bland and meaningless that they were literally just "hosts" to give birth to the Aliens.

In summary, my greatest criticism is the lack of fear, suspension, tension, drama or whatever term fancies you, as Alien and Predator characters and their films relied on such things to move us and our emotions-it's what has made them so memorable over the years but it is not the case now.

I must say that I enjoyed the fight scenes, if you want to call them that. Both Aliens and Predators took a healthy share of killing and being killed, making things a bloodfest, which is the way an encounter such as this should be. If any of you are fans of the games then this movie may at least do you justice in that way, however look for no other means of satisfaction in this motion picture...

Edited by myk

I never thought I would say this, but while my childhood hasn't been raped persay... Paul W.S. Anderson has certainly touched it in an inappropriate way. He has the achievement of single handedly making the worst Alien and Predator movies at the same time.

I cannot believe you spent that much time venting about how crappy AvP was yet you shrug off the criticisms of fanboys in the Star Wars threads!!! Have you even seen Alien 3 or 4??? Total & unadultrated SH*T!!! Unbelievable!!! And they let you mod these boards?!?

:lol::lol::lol:

WARNING, SPOILER

Spoiler here:

The part were the girl puts on the armor that the Predator makes for her from the alien was the stupidest idea ever put on film! Enough said.

I watched it Friday afternoon. Sold out theatre at 1:20 was sort of wierd to see.

At any rate, People with high expectations going in to a "Vs." movie are destined for disappointment, especially one featureing two science fiction titans like Alien and Predator. Anywho, I had a good time at the movie, sure it was dumb but it was fun to watch, I wasn't expecting Shakespear, just some excellent eye candy (What else can you expect from a movie about two aliens that kill each other and can't converse in human language?)

The set up was a little silly, but not too out there for me. The action was lacking in my opinion, shaky camera fights and too few combatants took away from this one, if they had doubled or trippled the number of Aliens, predators and humans and allowed the humans with weapons to maybe barricade themselves in a room and have a decent fight before being incapacitated and grabbed then i think it would have had better reviews from fans but regardless it was cheesy, no arguement there.

Personally, I love both franchises, but I had no crazy expectations so I didn't feel cheated.

Now is it just me, or coul they have made this movie a little more fun by making it Aliens Die Hard with a Predator and put Bruce Willis on a plane ride back to see his estranged wife, when suddenly a group of crazy german archaeologists hijack the plane and take it to a remote island in the bermuda triangle where they come to an ancient Inca Temple. The crazy german archaeologists kidnap 6 women from the plane and disappear into the temple, Bruce willis wakes up from a nap and goes into the temple with his 6 shooter to whip ass and save the day. Temple trap closes the doors, Bruce willis kicks ass and shoots some archaologists, some of them and some kidnap victims get impregnated, the predator roll up on the island in a pimped out submarine spacecraft.

I can just see the "What the ^%$#" look on Bruce Willis' face as an Alien egg opens up and a facehugger starts to roll out.

Then, at the end of the movie, Bruce Willis has been marked as a Stud by the predators giving him even more ass kicking street cred. It is too perfect.

- C'mon...a Predator chest-burster... how cool is that!!! :D

- Set up for a sequel! (duh)

Like I said in a previous post... I hope this does well enough to spawn a BETTER sequel.  As it is, this was good popcorn fare.

Now bring on the MARINES!!!! :lol:

I too HOPE it spawns a better sequel. I still want to see more carnage, more gore, and complete and utter chaos!!!

Edited by Oihan

At any rate, People with high expectations going in to a "Vs." movie are destined for disappointment, especially one featureing two science fiction titans like Alien and Predator.

I cannot believe you spent that much time venting about how crappy AvP was yet you shrug off the criticisms of fanboys in the Star Wars threads!!!

I fear the day star trek vs star wars makes it into theaters.

At any rate, People with high expectations going in to a "Vs." movie are destined for disappointment, especially one featureing two science fiction titans like Alien and Predator.
I cannot believe you spent that much time venting about how crappy AvP was yet you shrug off the criticisms of fanboys in the Star Wars threads!!!

i'm waiting for robocop VS. the terminator myself or better yet, what about gremlins VS. critters. :lol::lol::lol:

fear not, that will never happen.. LOL

I cannot believe you spent that much time venting about how crappy AvP was yet you shrug off the criticisms of fanboys in the Star Wars threads!!! Have you even seen Alien 3 or 4??? Total & unadultrated SH*T!!! Unbelievable!!! And they let you mod these boards?!?

:lol::lol::lol:

Heheh...

If you even jokingly compare SW to AVP I'll ban your ass. (jk) :lol:

That much time? 5 minutes?

Anyway... seriously... I OWN Alien 3 and 4... and I cherish them both a hell of a lot more than this turd. In fact, I actually LIKE Alien 3 and 4. I like AVP a whole lot less than both. Hell, I think Rocky V w/ digitally added Aliens and Predators could have done a better job.

What Anderson did to Alien and Predator would make Micheal Jackson blush... :lol:

fear not, that will never happen.. LOL

Yeah, because all the cool Star Trek people would ditch a lame universe for Star Wars.

[Picard]Wow... this CG hair GL added is great![/Picard]

Anyway... seriously... I OWN Alien 3 and 4... and I cherish them both a hell of a lot more than this turd. In fact, I actually LIKE Alien 3 and 4. I like AVP a whole lot less than both.

What's the world comin' to when mods lose it?!? :lol: I thought you were made of better moderator-stuff, but... maaaaaaaan, you talkin' crazy! :ph34r::lol:

I'd pay to see a Robocop Versus Terminator :ph34r: as long as it's done close to right.....nothing like seeing an upgraded Robocop in Terminator fashion spawning off other Roboterminators shootin the crap outta Terminators!@

First off, I think Giger is dead, so that's why he could comment on AVP.

ANyways, I saw it last Thursday at a midnight showing the local theater had for it. To tell you the truth, I was actually pretty shocked they did a midnight showing of it. But it's a geek film, so the geeks will come. But it was wierd. I work(ed) at an arcade across the street form the theater and I walked over to it on Thursday and bought my friend and my girlfriend a ticket. I asked how many were sold, and the guy said 15%. But then, we go to see the movie, and the theater is PACKED!! They even had to put it in a second theater! It was wierd...

But as for what I thought of the movie, I thought it was really good. And yes, I am a ahrdcore Alien and Predator fan. Paul gets major kudos for not filling it with a bunch of that fake looking CG crap like I'd expect other directors to do. Big, rubber suits are the way to go ^_^. I love the AvP games and comics and such, but I'm glad Paul went with his own idea with this one. It's like Resident Evil. If I wanted to see the first game's story, I'd play through the first game, not wait for a movie on it (and Romero's script took quite a few liberites with the first game, from what I've read in it). I was not worried aobut the PG13 rating. I knew it would be violent enough. Heck, I kept laughing at my girlfriend because she was scared during it, so even with a PG13 rating it could still scare. Lots of tense parts though.

THough, and spoilers ahead, I was INCREDIBLY pissed the family guy didn't live :( THe one always talking about his two kids. I was rooting for him. My girlfriend, who doesn't know anything about Aliens or Predators, was sad when they first took him, but I told her there is still a chance for him, which there was when he was in the egg chamber, and when he shot that one face hugger, I was glad he'd be saved, but then, as those who ahve seen it, he was ****ed, in more ways then one ;)

But yeah, I was content witht he violence level, and I'm glad the language didn't get out of hand. Other then the above spoiler I posted, I thought everything was great about it, and even some of the new things introduced. I liked the Alien spear and shield the girl had. The whole proving themselves deal the Preds went through. It was all great I thought. I give it a B+, definetly.

But, here's the best part. My dad takes my brother and sister to go see it Saturday. When I later stop by the apartment, both are watching the first Alien movie ^_^. A single tear fell down my eye ^_^. Later, when I come back to see what they wanted to do for dinner, both had started watchign Aliens ^_^. I fell to my knees ^_^.

And my friend tells me there's supposedly an uncut version of the movie coming to DVD, but I think that's just him making stuff up.

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Movie-goers were easy prey for a double dose of space invaders. The sci-fi smackdown "Alien vs. Predator," featuring the creatures of the "Alien" and "Predator" franchises, debuted as the No. 1 weekend movie with $38.25 million, studio estimates showed Sunday.

The movie debuted slightly ahead of the $36.4 million debut of last summer's horror hybrid "Freddy vs. Jason," which paired the slashers of the "Friday the 13th" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" franchises.

"This continues the trend of combining franchises to very strong box-office results," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. "If you're a fan of the 'Alien' movies, you want to see this movie. If you're a fan of 'Predator," you want to see this movie."

Audiences shelled out $16.8 million to see "Alien vs. Predator" on Friday, but the movie's gross fell to $12.5 million Saturday, a steep 26 percent decline. Most new movies do better business on Saturday than Friday.

That's a sign that "Alien vs. Predator" could follow the pattern of "Freddy vs. Jason" and other horror tales, which tend to open well then plunge in subsequent weekends.

Still, "Freddy vs. Jason" topped out at a healthy $82.2 million domestically. Budgeted at $60 million, "Alien vs. Predator" would turn a solid profit for 20th Century Fox if it matches the gross of "Freddy vs. Jason."

Preceded by "Alien vs. Predator" video games, the movie drew a largely male audience, most younger than 25. To broaden its appeal, 20th Century Fox brought the movie in at a PG-13 rating, though the previous four "Alien" films and two "Predator" flicks had hard R ratings for violence.

"I don't think it's a cop-out at all," said Bruce Snyder, the studio's head of distribution. "This is based on a video game that did have a bit of a younger audience. There's a lot of action and violence, but most of it is creature to creature rather than creature to people."

This should piss you guys off just a bit at the end of the article....

The Associated Press

Preceded by "Alien vs. Predator" video games, the movie drew a largely male audience, most younger than 25. To broaden its appeal, 20th Century Fox brought the movie in at a PG-13 rating, though the previous four "Alien" films and two "Predator" flicks had hard R ratings for violence.

"I don't think it's a cop-out at all," said Bruce Snyder, the studio's head of distribution. "This is based on a video game that did have a bit of a younger audience. There's a lot of action and violence, but most of it is creature to creature rather than creature to people."

This should piss you guys off just a bit at the end of the article....

When I first read this article a day or so ago, I did get a kick out of how the concept apparently only goes back as far as the video game.

It does explain a lot of the problems with the movie and the inconsistencies with the older movies as well as the choice in director.

But even in the AvP games it took awhile for Aliens to develop. You face-hugged, then went to a cutscene that indicated some amount of time and then were a chest burster for awhile before becoming a full fledged adult.

You know you've done a diservice to the original material when non-fans like a female friend of mine who went to see it with her boyfriend commented about 'didn't it used to take longer for the Aliens to mature?' and she's maybe seen Alien once and Aliens twice....hardly a super-critical fan boy.

I don't remember so much playing the Arcade in an Arcade but I DO remember playing it on my SNES alot, hell it makes me wanna go look for the damn game!

As for the Computer game, I remember playing it once or twice at a friends house, but it never really spawned any interest in me, I'm not much up for FPS's, they just get so annoying to me and that I can't see where I'm going half the time tends to piss me off.

Are you going to see Spielberg direct AvP...? No. Is Cameron coming back...? No. In order to see Avp on the big screen, it is not going to be an A list director. Similarly are you going to get a big name to front such a property given that its based on a cominc book / game? Unlikely. Rejoice in the fact that we got AvP on the big screen - and in my opinion it was entertaining and hopefully will do well enough to secure a sequel. If AvP 2 is an improvement, then even better - can i say X Men 2? Lets be glad it doesnt blow and look forward to the next one ;)

Are you going to see Spielberg direct AvP...?  No. Is Cameron coming back...? No. In order to see Avp on the big screen, it is not going to be an A list director. Similarly are you going to get a big name to front such a property given that its based on a cominc book / game? Unlikely. Rejoice in the fact that we got AvP on the big screen - and in my opinion it was entertaining and hopefully will do well enough to secure a sequel. If AvP 2 is an improvement, then even better - can i say X Men 2? Lets be glad it doesnt blow and look forward to the next one  ;)

i kind of agree with what you're saying, though, this is one of those things that was a long time comeing, and had ALOT of potential.

it sucks that waiting over ten years we end up with a movie that seems slapped togeather in 6 months with little (if any) research done with the first movies. there is just too much that doesn't make sence in this movie to ignore the issue.

as people have pointed out. even less than casual fans have noticed weird mistakes in things that were shown in earlyer movies.

(lets just hope they don't do what SOME people are doing these days, and go back to the old movies and edit them to make them fit the new movies >wink wink<)

Edited by KingNor

That article pretty much summed up my earlier point: AvP was made for (casual) fans of the game. Let's hope the (probable) sequal is a whole lot better & more intense.

BTW, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the DVD comes out in an optional R or Unrated version with extras. While I wouldn't purchase a DVD of the theatrical version (one viewing was enuff... like any high-calorie morsel, too much'd make ya sick!) I might even consider a version w/ extra footage & goodies if it's well done enuff. Take that Max!!! :D

c'mon guys don't say its based on "the game" there are tons of AvP games, specify wich one. from what i can tell it's not based on any of the games.

these are the ones i know of:

AvP nes/snes (not sure wich)

AvP PC

AvP II PC

AvP arcade

and they were all pretty diffrent.

Are you going to see Spielberg direct AvP...? No. Is Cameron coming back...? No. In order to see Avp on the big screen, it is not going to be an A list director. Similarly are you going to get a big name to front such a property given that its based on a cominc book / game? Unlikely. Rejoice in the fact that we got AvP on the big screen - and in my opinion it was entertaining and hopefully will do well enough to secure a sequel. If AvP 2 is an improvement, then even better - can i say X Men 2? Lets be glad it doesnt blow and look forward to the next one ;)

I wouldn't rejoice about this whole Godzilla versus King Kong Versus crap. From the get go it sounded to me like a crappy Freddy versus Jason concept. Both movie franchises were great on their own, all they need is a decent director with a solid vision and respect for the originals. Spielberg - no, Cameron - no, but Ridley Scott went on record saying that he wanted to pitch Alien 5 to the corporate dickheads, but they seemed to wanted to go with the Xtreeemmmeee Fast and the Furious spin on it and go with AVP. So thanks to Paul WS "Geetttt ovveerrrr heeeerrreeee!!!" Anderson, we have a crap PG13 "Friendly for Harry Potter fans" movie and a denial of what could have been from a much more talented and proven director.

Ridely Scott has also gone on record saying he'd LIKE to work on an Alien 5 and even have Ripley return for the last time, and talks to Weever about it over the phone from time to time thinking it'd also be nice, but like he would say, "It's just talk, will it happen? More than likely not"

I'm a fan of most of the games(PC/Arcade) and I would rather watch someone else play the Arcade game for an hour and a half. :)

There were some cool parts, but overall its a shitty movie. Aside from this board, nobody I know liked it... boys, girls, fanboys, casual fans, players of the game....

Oh well... as others have said... hopefully this will generate enough interest for a better sequel, or maybe even just Pred or Alien standalone sequel.

Hey, Max, I used to watch kids play the arcade one when i worked at an arcade (closed down yesterday :( ). Sometimes if they were towards the end and ran out of credits, I'd give them free ones ^_^. Though I never joined in. Though quite a few times I've gone over and had to teach them how to play the game. You'd be surprised how many people think the only move in the game is the shooting attack or just do the super attack over and over :p.