• 2 weeks later...
Those Mugen Caliburs are bad @$$. I just wish they weren't so expensive! :(

Yeah... I committed to the Mugen version even as the yen rate swamped our local currency. AND to think the one I really, really wanted is the green army grunt edition. Now I'm ambivalent as to whether CM's should/would continue with the Gazette and Tulcas as well. Can't imagine spending close to 2K SGD (300+ apiece) to collect the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to sound like a wanky fanboy ...but I think that's how this is gonna come across...but....

I reaalllly want Bandai to make some Soul of Chogokin Gurren Lagann figures! Do you guys think there's any chance of it happening?? :)

Pete

My 4 1/2 year old is really loving the Voltes V SOC that I got him for Christmas. He's been a big fan of the cartoon since he was 3 1/2 and has been bugging me for a Voltes V toy all year.

I will probably have to blunt the tip of the sword though, as that thing is sharp enough to take an eye out.

Heh, and I got seriously scolded by my wife for buying him such an expensive toy!

Here's a couple of pics of the Voltes V along with some of the Star Wars toys I also bought him for Christmas (he's really into Clone Troopers at the moment)

Graham

post-11-1230274001_thumb.jpg

post-11-1230274125_thumb.jpg

My 4 1/2 year old is really loving the Voltes V SOC that I got him for Christmas. He's been a big fan of the cartoon since he was 3 1/2 and has been bugging me for a Voltes V toy all year.

Heh, and I got seriously scolded by my wife for buying him such an expensive toy!

Maybe your wife is just jealous, and she secretly wanted a Voltes V toy for herself? :)

Pete

Haven't checked out this thread in a long time. I love super robots and SOC's, but the only ones I have are the SOC Great Mazinga (gold and black version) and SOC Grendizer (regular and gold and black versions) and the Spazer set for Grendizer. I also have some of the Revoltech super robots since those are more affordable and the poseability is pretty cool. Wish I could get more SOC's, but I just can't afford to get everything I want what with all the Yamato Macross stuff and other stuff I collect coming out with new stuff all the time.

That Bandai Dragonar looks pretty awesome. Wasn't there 3 versions of it? Is the basic figure the same, but each one comes with different accessories?

• 5 weeks later...
Finally got around to seeing if I can get a replacement arm panel for my SOC Gunbuster from HLJ. Bandai aren't planning to make replacement parts in the near future so I'm stuck with a broken toy (T_T)

Well - at least you HAVE a SOC Gunbuster :) Although - yeah...I HATE broken toys. I don't have any - but man - when they do break it breaks your heart.

This is one area where ebay might actually be useful - maybe you can find an even MORE broken Gunbuster toy with the panel you need?

Pete

Up against the fence on this one. The reason I didnt buy the first one was because of the reports of the figure being massively loose. Now they say its all tight, there slight mold changes and some added articulation. I dont mind the recolor either and its tank mode is so-so. Its just something stopping me from buying it.

Anyone out there with on-hand pics, reviews besides whats on youtube and robotjapan?

Up against the fence on this one. The reason I didnt buy the first one was because of the reports of the figure being massively loose. Now they say its all tight, there slight mold changes and some added articulation. I dont mind the recolor either and its tank mode is so-so. Its just something stopping me from buying it.

Anyone out there with on-hand pics, reviews besides whats on youtube and robotjapan?

No review, but I bought one for my 4 1/2 year old son for Christmas and he loves it as he's a big Voltes V fan (he has the complete series VCD set dubbed in English).

It's still tight a month later and despite being subject to typical 4 1/2 year old type play, only a couple of very small parts have broken. Surprisingly no paint chipping yet either.

Graham

No review, but I bought one for my 4 1/2 year old son for Christmas and he loves it as he's a big Voltes V fan (he has the complete series VCD set dubbed in English).

It's still tight a month later and despite being subject to typical 4 1/2 year old type play, only a couple of very small parts have broken. Surprisingly no paint chipping yet either.

Graham

Thanks Graham... Im surprise you/he hasnt lost the head yet. My son is almost 5 but I wouldnt buy him something that expensive to play with lol. Granted, my collection will all be his.. gradually. :rolleyes:

As a side note - I have the original first one and the figure is so totally NOT loose. I never saw these reports, and since I bought mine about 5 months ago, it might be that I got a "later production run" with "fixes" - but in any event - no looseness. In fact - The ball joints and swivel joints all hold the poses very well and the arms are ratchet jointed. The head also has a special maneuverability joint because it has to be attached to the rest of the fighter (which is on the back) while moving.

In any event - no need to be on the fense about either one. Personally, I prefer the original ones' colors - but apparently it can't transform into that ground based mode... :(

So - just for the extra mode I'd go for the new one if I were you - but the old one is good.

Pete

Sorry for this non-SOC-but-still-gohkin piece of news... :-)

I just received my CM's Corp Brave Gohkin 23 COMBAT CALIBUR yesterday. IT cost me the princely sum of 290 SGD (pre-ordered), that's about 190 USD.

The box is large but very lightweight; most of the plastic tray was used to house the many pieces of the figure's optional 'Full Armor' parts and bulky extra weapons. To me, though, I never liked the oddly-styled full armor, which made the grungy military design look suddenly 'spacy'. I think it's another case of too many designers working on the Dorvack show; e.g. the powered suit designs are excellent on their own but look like they belonged in a different world to that of the main transforming mecha.

Anyway... I took some quick snaps to share with other Dorvack enthusiasts on TBDX, focusing mainly on the vehicle mode and the poseability of the robot (sans armor). Here we go:

First up, none of the publicity pix seem to show the vehicle mode transformed CORRECTLY. What I mean is that the way the feet fold up against the front wheel housing looks TERRIBLE on the box... the tips are angled up against the wind. Luckily, if you explore the toy a bit, it's totally possible to fit the feet flush in vehicle mode. Pix...

01.jpg

Correctly folded feet in vehicle mode.

02.jpg

Flush-fitting...

Compared to CM's publicity shots:

l05.jpg

You bastard... I am so jealous. However, that toy seems really overpriced... probably partially because they included all the extra armor, which I agree with you is totally unnecessary. You've gotta give us some shots with the ADORABLE little Dorvak power armor figs, which I would totally buy is released separately.

Is it confirmed that the green Cannon Fodder Calibur is going to come with all the extra armor? It might be significantly more affordably priced without all that crap.

Robot height is 18cm tall, almost the same as the TT 1/55, but comparative measurements of the height of the support Nove figures confirms a scale of about 1/43. Diecast content is well-placed:

- Front wheel housing

- Wheel hubs

- Upper legs

- Feet

- Hip-joint armature

- Back hatch armature

Poseability is good compared to the old Takatoku 1/55 full-transformation toy, especially in the arms. For the legs, with the basic armor removed, it's 3 clicks to the front + 1 click behind at the hips. With armor on, legs canot click backwards at all. In that sense, poseability is still 'bad' but already way better than before. Some quick poses:

03.jpg

Basic pose if you follow the rules... not even an 'A-stance' but the arms add a lot of character compared to the old 1/55.

04.jpg

This is what you get when you 'cheat'...

05.jpg

... i.e. pull out the hip joints from the groin socket and hide the trick through creative angles.

06.jpg

'Sitting down' to attach a rifle grenade...

07.jpg

'Almost kneeling'...

08.jpg

Lastly, the chest hatch that shows the pilot in his swivel seat. CM's worked the proportions so that in vehicle mode, it actually looks like his hands CAN reach the wheel, unlike on the TT 1/55.

That's all, folks. A very pricey toy that's hard to recommend to general real robot fans, but a must-have for those who grew up with and loved the original TT toys. Hopefully, the green Army Calibur will be more affordable as it comes w/o the Full Armor parts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :-)