6 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Good thing I didn't wait for NY's even though I suspected they would be cheaper. The page returns an error.

Just now, hachi said:

I hope there's still some left in the future. I want to get another one on release date if I have the funds...

And I can finally take a break now. :D

Order at HLJ. If you're short on budget, cancel it before it gets released. Atleast, you already secured your PO is what matters.

I'm not sure if I want another one. I rather wait if they're going to make a DX Soul of Chogokin version down the line and that's what I want to have if ever. ^_^ 

7 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Order at HLJ. If you're short on budget, cancel it before it gets released. Atleast, you already secured your PO is what matters.

I'm not sure if I want another one. I rather wait if they're going to make a DX Soul of Chogokin version down the line and that's what I want to have if ever. ^_^ 

Yeah I got mine at HLJ. For older release I want them to re-release the 40th anniversary one: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOGDS-142433.

Although would DX Chogokin be different?

6 minutes ago, hachi said:

Yeah I got mine at HLJ. For older release I want them to re-release the 40th anniversary one: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOGDS-142433.

Although would DX Chogokin be different?

Yes. It's the big SOC line they have. The recent release was the Combattler V that costs around Y59000+. It has sound effects. Truly a centerpiece for its size at 35cm.

Edited by no3Ljm

So, got my Gipsy Danger, and while it is pretty awesome, I can't help but think it could be better. This is my third SoC, and the other two just had much more presence and presentation. (Dancouga and Voltron are my in-hand references.)

Executive summary: There's a lot of empty space inside a rather massive box that feels designed to mislead, and the stand feels like it is there just to pad the parts count. If I had no SoC experience, I'd be quite happy. Having some, I feel like the overall package was phoned in, though I have no complaints with the actual robot.

Certainly, Gipsy leaves less room for accessories than, say, Voltron did. I don't hold a grudge on accessory count.  They inclusion of both mid-formation and completed chainsword accessories was a nice touch, as was the boat-bat.  And I have no complaints with the engineering of the robot. Or build quality, beyond the fidgety-bordering-on-unusuable plasma cannons.

But I'd happily sacrifice the chest lighting for a few more inches of height. For such a canonically massive machine, Gispy feels very short, especially after coming out of such a tall box. I'd say half the space of the box is actually used, with a scant quarter dedicated to the star attraction, and it does serve to make the machine feel shorter than it is. Gipsy's eye-level with Voltron's chin, but I'd've sworn it was more like chest-high.(That said, if they were the same scale, Voltron would be staring just below Gipsy's chest turbine.)

The instructions that came with Dancouga and Voltron felt like part of an experience, while Gipsy's single folded sheet of paper seems more of an afterthought.  Not an issue, per se. The toy is simple and straightforward, it doesn't need much in the way of instructions. But it is a notable enough difference in quality to warrant a mention.

While I gather the display stands vary a lot from release to release in the SoC line, this one feels like it is there to pad the box out and justify the large swath of mostly-empty space more than anything else. I wasn't honestly expecting much*, but it is kind of in the position where no stand would have been a better option.  It doesn't hold any of the accessories, it doesn't look exceptional, and it doesn't support any of the dynamic posing you might want a support arm for.

What bugs me most about the stand is it comes CLOSE to utility without ever getting there. I'd really like to see the same base plate, just wider. And with a couple of swappable arms of different heights, so it could support Gipsy in some more dynamic poses. Or a single articulated arm, like a comically overbuilt Figma stand(and comical is definitely the adjective of choice, because Gipsy's pretty darn heavy). 

* As far as personal expectations go, my Dancouga came with no stand, Voltron came with a castle-themed weapon storage locker. And I've seen pictures of Gunbuster's awesome launch pad/service gantry. I figured I wasn't getting a Gunbuster stand, just because lightning doesn't strike twice.

Finally got my Gipsy last night and took a few quick pics with the NECA Otachi figure, which isn't perfectly in scale but I think they look good together.  I do love the lighting gimmick and the weight of the figure.  Her knee joints are a tad loose, hopefully there's a way to tighten them up (any ideas?) but she can balance on one foot for a leaping rocket-punch pose despite that!

fullsizeoutput_3ef.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3f1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3ed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3f7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3fd.jpeg

1 hour ago, Major Focker said:

thanks. so quite a bit shorter 

i'm torn between starting on this new line or waiting for more DX releases. already have the DX Mazinger and Combatler and various GX

You’re welcome. Me too. As much as I would like to have a DX version of Voltes V, in which at this point there’s no assurance if there’s going to be one, I’ll be happy to have this Full Action one since I didn’t get the chance of owning any previous SoC releases. But if there’s going to be a DX release in the future, I’m in for one. Then I will have a desktop figure to play with since a combiner DX version is something you displayed with and not to play with it. ^_^ 

On 4/4/2018 at 2:19 PM, ZorClone said:

Finally got my Gipsy last night and took a few quick pics with the NECA Otachi figure, which isn't perfectly in scale but I think they look good together.  I do love the lighting gimmick and the weight of the figure.  Her knee joints are a tad loose, hopefully there's a way to tighten them up (any ideas?) but she can balance on one foot for a leaping rocket-punch pose despite that!

fullsizeoutput_3ef.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3f1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3ed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3f7.jpeg

HA...HAAAAAA AWESOME

Awesome pics of Gypsy, @ZorClone. Man, I saw it in person at C2E2 and I don't know... it looks way better in pictures (including yours) than it did in person for me. 

Current Dancouga situation. The Gigabrain comes in the mail today and I literally have no idea of where to put it. 

20180406_120433-e1523304389926.jpg

On 4/9/2018 at 3:40 PM, Kuma Style said:

Awesome pics of Gypsy, @ZorClone. Man, I saw it in person at C2E2 and I don't know... it looks way better in pictures (including yours) than it did in person for me.

It's a fun piece to handle and pose, all the mechanical simulation on it is a treat!

9 hours ago, JB0 said:

Amusingly, that's almost in scale.

That's 90% of the reason I used them. Always bugs me that Super Robots get the shaft in people's pictures scale-wise; particularly when paired up against Transformers. Optimus Prime is as big as every other mecha ever, apparently.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TY, S.P..