• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, JetJockey said:

No new Chogokin news from Wonder Festival? I'm still waiting for Dangaio, Saber Rider Ramrod / Bismarck, Southern Cross Hovertank, and some others.

I doubt we'll ever see the southern cross hovertank though that would be amazing. Dangaio and Bismarck need to happen soon.

On 8/2/2017 at 1:46 PM, Sandman said:

I doubt we'll ever see the southern cross hovertank though that would be amazing. Dangaio and Bismarck need to happen soon.

You would think with the recent Dangaioh Blu-ray we would see something. I don't know how popular Bismarck is in Japan though. It seems to be very popular in Germany as they have tons of DVD and Blu-ray releases of the show there. There is a big German Saber Rider fan site too.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Sandman said:

Can't believe they sold those go-lion rights away.  Hard to believe a company like WEP actually owns that ip. It'd be like HG actually really owning the Macross rights.

Except for the fact that Golion was worthless. Remember, it bombed horribly in Japan.

Golion really only has commercial value as Voltron, and the only reason to hold onto it would have been so Toei could shake WEP down for money every so often. It probably wasn't worth the effort.*

As I understand things, every time WEP did something with Voltron, Toei popped up and went "You know, your license doesn't actually allow that." and WEP went "Crap, sorry, thought it did. Can we buy an exemption?".

And finally, both parties were sick of it. WEP just called one day and went "Look, we're both sick of paying our lawyers to renegotiate. What does it cost to just BUY Golion off of you? No sublicenses, no limited extensions. We want everything. Lock, stock, and barrel. The whole kit and caboodle. Work with us here. "  and Toei just went "Wait, you actually WANT Golion? We thought you were messing with us all these years. Why would anyone... never mind. Yeah, sure, by all means. Make us an offer."

And now WEP owns Golion, and they can make as many sequels, adaptations, and remixes of lion Voltron as they want. And they can negotiate with Bandai to make Soul of Chogokin Goliontrons.

Toei, meanwhile, cashed a nice check, and probably made more off of Golion in one shot than they've earned to date since it originally aired. Even considering the long-running WEP license.

*This is not dissimilar to Tatsunoko's response every time HG asks about renewing the Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross license, except Toei pays better attention. Apparently, every time they talk HG has to remind Tatsunoko that yes, you guys DO actually own Southern Cross and yes, we really want to extend our license.

One wonders what it would cost HG to buy Southern Cross outright, but THEY don't really want it either. The existing Robotech: Masters Saga episodes are more of a necessary evil thing.

Chachi's review of GX-73 Great Mazinger DC :

update/edit:

btw, just halfway thru it, and unlike his GX-74, this one's in the annals of yet another frickin' classic hilarious RPA review from Chachi.

I'm dyin' roflmao'ing here watching it.

gg, chachi!

ahahaha!

:bump:

Edited by treatment
updated

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Wow, do these chogokins have lots of concerns of paint scratching and pieces breaking off?

Unless you're trying to play with them roughly constantly, it shouldn't be a matter. Banging things up could lead to paint chipping/scratching, but generally normal posing and such shouldn't do anything as long as you make sure not to grind pieces together when doing so.

Basically, common sense handling should avoid it being an issue for a long time if ever.

On 10/25/2017 at 2:26 PM, dragonstar1982 said:

Why can't they just go ahead and make dangiaoh???

That's what I'm wondering. I just want Dangaio, Mighty Orbots, and Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs Ramrod.

If they need money they can do the re-release of Voltron.

18 hours ago, treatment said:

Chachi's review of GX-73 Great Mazinger DC :

update/edit:

btw, just halfway thru it, and unlike his GX-74, this one's in the annals of yet another frickin' classic hilarious RPA review from Chachi.

I'm dyin' roflmao'ing here watching it.

gg, chachi!

ahahaha!

:bump:

I remember this one as Tranzor Z. The best part about this robot to me was the small plane on top. I didn't like the robot design that much. I think it was that odd almost armored knight like gated mouth. I remember there was a female robot that had missiles for breasts in that anime. It was a strange show. Something about that and I think a live action Japanese show called Spectreman scared me. I was probably too young to look at either of them. But I'm going to look at them again one day.

12 hours ago, JetJockey said:

That's what I'm wondering. I just want Dangaio, Mighty Orbots, and Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs Ramrod.

If they need money they can do the re-release of Voltron.

I would've SWORN they already did the Bismark/Ramrod, but I'm apparently crazy.

Orbots ain't happening. They are JUST different enough from Godmars to require new molds, and there's just not enough interest to make it a profitable venture. 

That... may be true for Bismark/Ramrod as well, but some of the things that HAVE made the list are niche enough that I have to believe this one's a viable product idea.

Either way, Bandai doesn't need to reissue Voltron for more money.

Aside from being Bandai, they've found that revisions, repaints, and reissues of Mazinger Z are a free ticket to profitville, so there's something like twelve of them in the line. Any time they need a new infusion of cash, BAM, Black Mazinger! Mazinger with chrome legs! Mazinger with longer legs! Mazinger with a new waist piece! Et cetera et cetera.

(Not that there hasn't been new engineering done, too. Just... that engineering could've been spent on a NEW robot instead..)

18 hours ago, JB0 said:

I would've SWORN they already did the Bismark/Ramrod, but I'm apparently crazy.

Orbots ain't happening. They are JUST different enough from Godmars to require new molds, and there's just not enough interest to make it a profitable venture. 

That... may be true for Bismark/Ramrod as well, but some of the things that HAVE made the list are niche enough that I have to believe this one's a viable product idea.

Either way, Bandai doesn't need to reissue Voltron for more money.

Aside from being Bandai, they've found that revisions, repaints, and reissues of Mazinger Z are a free ticket to profitville, so there's something like twelve of them in the line. Any time they need a new infusion of cash, BAM, Black Mazinger! Mazinger with chrome legs! Mazinger with longer legs! Mazinger with a new waist piece! Et cetera et cetera.

(Not that there hasn't been new engineering done, too. Just... that engineering could've been spent on a NEW robot instead..)

I wish they made Ramrod. There is only the old toy as far as I'm aware. I would guess they would want to make other robots just to make them even if they won't be big sellers. There are only so many recolors they can make. Eventually they have to get to some robots that haven't been made. I see they have a limited and SPEC line. Surely Dangaio, Mighty Orbots, and Ramrod could work into those categories.

Mazinger must be really popular in Japan though. I counted 17 or so on the Soul of Chogokin wiki.

Mazinger is INSANELY popular in Japan, as one might expect the founder of a genre to be. Apparently it still holds the highest viewership ratings any anime TV series has ever pulled.

I honestly just can't see a market for the Orbots, no matter how hard I squint. There's no japanese presence at all(a major factor for this line, with most installments not marketed outside Japan), and only a minimal fanbase in America.

I think if it was a simple repaint of the existing Godmars mold, it would be just barely within the bounds of plausibility, given the low cost of a niche repaint. But with the original design being a MODIFIED Godmars... new tooling just ruins the plans. Molds are expensive to make.

What I don't get is that their is already a transforming dangiaoh by studio half eye that even has light up hand and it looks perfect. If not bandai then maybe sentinel could pull it off; they are on the obori bandwagon with baikanfu, dancouga and gravion.

31 minutes ago, whitestar said:

Does anyone know what improvements the v2 Dancouga Soc offers?

From what I've seen, it has a second head sculpt, different paint apps, the shoulders are a little shorter. There's not a lot new with it, it's still the same mold as the older one plus the few points mentioned above.

1 hour ago, dragonstar1982 said:

From what I've seen, it has a second head sculpt, different paint apps, the shoulders are a little shorter. There's not a lot new with it, it's still the same mold as the older one plus the few points mentioned above.

Thanks! I was hoping for more poseability :(

7 hours ago, dragonstar1982 said:

That's a shame. Not that he's a bad toy, mind you, but the state of the art is a bit more advanced than it was when he came out a decade or so ago. It'd be nice to see a fresh take. 

There was the Metamor-Force Dancouga, which does look a bit more dynamic when it comes to articulation. If anyone has both versions, I would like to know how they compare to each other?

I have an itch to pick up GX-13R, but I still need convincing. So please share some nice picks and make me spend my money.

4 hours ago, lechuck said:

There was the Metamor-Force Dancouga, which does look a bit more dynamic when it comes to articulation. If anyone has both versions, I would like to know how they compare to each other?

I have an itch to pick up GX-13R, but I still need convincing. So please share some nice picks and make me spend my money.

First is the original next to a 1/60 vf-1a.

Next is bandai next to sentinel. The only down to the sentinel version is after market price and if your not carefully you will break the shoulder hinge.20171106_192644.thumb.jpg.9cff79fb3481ad1f26676126547d5c5e.jpg

20160405_114054.jpg

On 11/6/2017 at 4:30 PM, dragonstar1982 said:

First is the original next to a 1/60 vf-1a.

Next is bandai next to sentinel. The only down to the sentinel version is after market price and if your not carefully you will break the shoulder hinge.

I have the Sentinel version and I love it. I also have the original GX-13 and while it's not as poseable as Sentinel's, the size and detailof its individual components make up for it. With Sentinel's Dancouga, the canons are articulated so you can point them down to shoulder level, vs Bandai's which doesn't articulate. 

Edited by whitestar