Jump to content


Member Since 21 Aug 2003
Offline Last Active Private

Posts I've Made

In Topic: v2 1/72nd scale Monstar.

Today, 07:29 AM

Putting the final details on the legs,   stealing a bit of stylistic influence from John with the rivet type detailing,  but figure this is going to be a companion kit to some of the other destoidios out there that he did.


I tried some smaller rivets first and it did not work well,   these rivets are about the same size he did not the glaug,  and this is way bigger than the glaug so i figured it would work stylistically.


Just a few odds and ends to finish on this leg installment,  then ready to mold.




In Topic: 1/48 Hasegawa Hikaru VF-1A Super w/Lauch arm and Base

28 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Here is the reinforcement plate for the chestplate area,  this will require a little modification to the bottom of this assembly.  It will require a trim to how the wings attach as well, but more on that later.


It's as big as it is to distribute the weight of the valk to launch arm assembly over the biggest surface in attempt to minimize any possible "tilting" or distortion of the valk once attached.


You will see a dimple on the plate,  you will need to drill a 5/32nd hole thru the resin part,  then CA the resin plate to the top chestplate with a very even coat of CA to get the maximum advantage of the reinforcement plate.  The hole that you drilled will be your guide to start the drilling in the chestplate.





In Topic: 1/48 Hasegawa Hikaru VF-1A Super w/Lauch arm and Base

28 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

More done today between other stuff.


The main boom has extra length on the brass than is needed for the assembly.  I did this for a couple of reasons.  1. The extra length assures the proper placement in the boom castings.  2.  The extra length extends beyond the mold so no resin gets in the tube,  needed if you plan to run any power up to your valk.


You will need to trim a bit off,  be sure to get as much of the brass into the swing arm as possible.


Also seen here is what i call the receiver unit.  You can see that the screw is cast into the part.  This is so that this part has threads in it,  that is it has threads in it once you back the screw all the way out. 


It will become clear why that is important later on,  but it has to do with not only strength but the ability to tweak the high of the whole launch arm assembly relative to the valk later on.






In Topic: 1/48 Hasegawa Hikaru VF-1A Super w/Lauch arm and Base

28 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

It's just for the hasegawa model,  the toys are too heavy and you would need to drill a hole thru the backplate/rear wings etc to attach it.   The attachment point is not the actual "grabbers"  those a just for show,  the attachment is made via a screw that will attach to a reinforcement plate under the chestplate/backplate of the model thru the backpack and into the grabber unit.


I do not plan on selling the launch arm and base until I am SURE,  that it's a reasonably strong connection.   I am pretty sure at the moment,  the Hasegawa kit is actually pretty light,  and the launch arm has brass cast into it,  the connection of the launch arm and the base is very strong,  the above model to grabber unit is very strong,  the only one i have a tiny bit of concern about is the one in the pics above.


I sized up a print out of the line art for the launch arm to get the proportions,  it's actually a fairly elegant design,  which is another way of saying it's got potential strength issues in that connection.


I do think it will be fine as long as it's pinned the way i have it,  and CA'd before painting or priming,  the bare resin to resin connection is very strong as long as there is no paint.


In Topic: Latest completed build- Tactical Pod Regult

27 June 2014 - 03:26 AM

It looks awesome,  I really love the weathering!


This kit and the old 1/72nd Glaug can look really good with just a little bit of work,  some of the better proportioned releases from back then.