VF-4 Lightning 3DS Max Files

Vinnie

Well boys and girls, there hasn't been a VF-4 update from me in about a year. And probably won't in the future. The following picture should explain why I'm not as motivated (or as free) to work on my virtual aircraft.

IMG_0118.jpg

Yeah, so I'm a pilot now. Rotary wing, because it'll make me a better VF pilot. And I've got more than enough real parts to worry about these days without digital ones clouding my brain. Plus since I'm really flying, I don't have as much of a desire to do it vicariously through my creations.

Anyway, because several people have complimented my VF-4 nicely and asked when I'd start up again. I figured that means the VF-4 is what the fanworks community really wants to see. Since I no longer wish to carry on the work, I'd like to turn it over to the talented artists at large. I hereby release the VF-4 Lightning III CG model as an open source 3d file. Anybody may use it for their own purposes or desires.

It is a work in progess collection of 3DS Max 5 files stored in a zip file on my old college account. There's no documentation at the moment, and you'll have to play around with the files to really figure out how I arranged things. There's usually several versions of the same files, so you can see how parts evolved over time.

Without Further Ado

The VF-4 Lightning III in 3ds Max 5

Ooops, forgot to set permissions. Go ahead and try it now. It's a 16MB zip file, so it might take a bit.

My aircraft for the next few months is the TH-67 Creek. Basically a modified Bell 206B Jet Ranger that the Army modified for trainning purposes. After that though, I'll be a UH-60A Blackhawk pilot for the 86th Medical Company (Air Ambulance)(-) out of Burlington, VT.

Edited by Vinnie

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone knows how to convert .MAX files to another format WITHOUT 3ds max?

I been able to partially open the files with an old version of 3d exploration but almost 60% of the model is lost. :(

Ditto. I'd love to be able to mess around with the VF-4, but I need to have it converted to OBJ, 3DS, or DXF in order for me to open the files in Lightwave. Does anyone know of a shareware/freeware mesh format converter that can handle MAX 5x files?