Macross Special

areaseven

Yesterday, at the MW Con, Shawn showed us yet another rare video artifact: a live-action Macross TV special that Seiichi-san kept on tape back in 1984. It was more of a talk show with a rather annoying male host that knew absolutely nothing about the series. Some of the audience cosplayed as the major characters, which resulted in the host asking stupid questions like, "Aren't you guys a little too old to dress up like cartoon characters?", etc.

The set itself was nothing short of hilarious, as it contained colored styrofoam balls hanging on strings. After some more idiotic comments by the host, we're introduced to the series' main voices: Mari Iijima (Minmay), Mika Doi (Misa) and the late Arihiro Hase (Hikaru). They talked a little about reprising their roles for DYRL.

After commercial break, Mari-chan performed "Tenshi no Enogu" and "Ai, Oboete imasu ka?" with some guys on the background pretending to play musical instruments. Following that, there was a small segment on Tatsunoko studios. Before the end of the show, there was an interview with the almighty "Hory Froating Head" Shoji Kawamori.

Overall, it's nice to see what Macross fandom was like in Japan before DYRL. It's also a hoot to watch these old commercials for Chicken McNuggets, sentai toys, and some beverage endorsed by William Katt of The Greatest American Hero fame. Shawn said that he's gonna transfer this video to a special edition MW DVD, which should be available later this year.

Edited by areaseven

Shawn said that he's gonna transfer this video to a special edition MW DVD, which should be available later this year.

:blink: Lemme catch my breath.

:D Special Edition MW DVD.

:angry: This isn't a late April Fool's Joke is it A7?

:ph34r: Inquiring minds want to know.

Awesome, though I'm curious what other great MW treasures might be on this DVD. Perhaps mecha graffiti? The original Macross TV intro from the first episode that AnimEigo didn't include? Some of the toy commericals that weren't on the 20th Anniv DVD? I like this idea.

Edited by Keith

GodMedia (who's not around so much anymore) had Mecha Graffiti dumped onto DVD that he offered to anyone about two years ago. (thanks again for that!) But it would be nice to have an (un)offical MacrossWorld DVD. Maybe with a video tour of Shawn's model collection too. :blink: :drool:

While we're at it a new DYRL R2 from Bandai with a improved transfer, subtitles and, heaven-forbid, a commentary track with Ishiguro, Kawamori, Miyatake and Mikimoto would be awesome. :rolleyes:

Edited by LePoseur

This sounds like the Star Wars Holiday Special.

A rare piece of history rarely seen.

Of course the Star Wars Holiday Special was so bad that Lucas tried to bury it, but there are some copies floating around and you have to watch it for the sheer cheese value. Things such as camp disco music in the cantina, the first 20 minutes spoken entirely in wookie with NO translation. Or Han Solo saying to Chewies family how they've always been like a family to him, but the look in his eyes saying 'What the hell am I doing'.

Even better still Leia and Luke who both look stoned out of their skulls.

So where can we get this Macross Special :) ??

Awesome, though I'm curious what other great MW treasures might be on this DVD. Perhaps mecha graffiti? The original Macross TV intro from the first episode that AnimEigo didn't include? Some of the toy commericals that weren't on the 20th Anniv DVD? I like this idea.

Shawn's made references to having quite a bit of video material. Remember all those old commercials he uploaded a while ago? How about that Korean knock-off cartoon with the VF-1? Should be an interesting DVD if it comes together. Hopefully it will!

Now, I know you won't heed my warnings, but here goes anyway: "Space Gandam V" should be avoided at all costs. Before I saw that monstrosity I thought it'd be fun to sub it (even MST3K style) and release a copy... but knowing what I know now, I don't think I could ever be as morally bankrupt as someone would need to be to spread that kind of pain around.

You have been warned. :ph34r:

This sounds so awesome! I would love to get a special edition MW DVD. I don't have a lot of access to the more 'out there" stuff that is floating around.

Shawn also said that the DVD will be subbed... the video we watched wasn't, so he's having it done himself (or doing it himself).

There was a lot of noise in the room as I was trying to hear the Iijima part. It's good to know I'll be able to see it again. There was also a Kawamori interview that I'm interested to see what they were saying...

What about the silly bonus materials that are on the FX Macross 7 DVD's?

There was some similar program with this guy and girl talking about Macross, and they brought in what looked like a 1990 reissue 1S, and the dude was fumbling all over himself trying to transform it etc.

It would be nice to see that stuff on there.

The DVD will contain no copyrighted material-I'm not going to step on anyones toes(Big West/HG...)

Members have been offering for years to send in donations to help me out with site costs($150 a month), but I've always felt bad so I've never accepted anything.

This is going to be my way of thanking people for any donations to the site they wish to make. :)

It will have the DYRL TV Special (subbed-translation already paid for and done)

TV Commercials from my old Beta tapes (you will enjoy!)

Collection picture tours from various members here(you will not believe)

and some other stuff :)

Wanted to do a fanzine, but the costs to produce were just too insane. We are LONG overdue for a Macross fan book!!!

S

Cmon Shawn we need a comprehensive book, like the damn transformers, for the toys.

Oh please include the Korean valk fighting a giant rat, ihave seen it personally at Jerry's house. It was damn funny. but now this gem needs to be shared with the rest of the Macross world.

that sounds like the beez neez!

and i cant believe the makers of GANDAM BWEE! would ever come after you for royalties... :lol:

This is true. :p

I actually had the chance to buy this thing second hand a few weeks ago, but I declined. Is 3000 yen too much?

Is is as crap as Transformers Headmasters? If so, I want to see it. I love things that are SO CRAP, they're GOOD.

Hope I have the chance to get this DVD when it gets done. Thanks, Shawn!

I'll say this about SGV, the parts of it worth seeing are definately worth seeing. Everything else is a complete waste of time. I feel justified in owning it for the opening intro & theme song though.

It would have been much better if there had been more badly drawn VF-1J fighting giant rat's & spiders, and less fat kids running around being chased by dogs, kids drowning at the beach, and aliens standing around chatting (I kid not).

Oh please include the Korean valk fighting a giant rat, ihave seen it personally at Jerry's house. It was damn funny. but now this gem needs to be shared with the rest of the Macross world.

Nick, I believe you saw it at my house...??? :rolleyes:

Wow, I'd love to get my hands on that DVD. That show sounds so cool.

Another show that I'd really like to see is Macross: One Night Stand. It was a 15th aniversery concert special with Fukuyama Yoshiki (MACROSS 7's Nekki Basara of Fire Bomber), Kasahara Hiroko (MACROSS II's Ishtar), Arai Akino (MACROSS PLUS's Sharon/Myung), Kanno Youko (MACROSS PLUS composer and musician) and special guest Iijima Mari (Minmay) I read about it on EX. The article is here

I'll say this about SGV, the parts of it worth seeing are definately worth seeing. Everything else is a complete waste of time. I feel justified in owning it for the opening intro & theme song though.

It would have been much better if there had been more badly drawn VF-1J fighting giant rat's & spiders, and less fat kids running around being chased by dogs, kids drowning at the beach, and aliens standing around chatting (I kid not).

Couldn't agree more. But, if the DVD would have played just the opening theme and then ended I would have felt like I got a better bargin though. I'd like to think that the hour (yes, I fast forwarded to the fights... you will too) of my life I spent watching dumb kids at the beach and people (aliens) stand motionless for long periods of time is worth more than $15.

Wow, I'd love to get my hands on that DVD. That show sounds so cool.

Another show that I'd really like to see is Macross: One Night Stand. It was a 15th aniversery concert special with Fukuyama Yoshiki (MACROSS 7's Nekki Basara of Fire Bomber), Kasahara Hiroko (MACROSS II's Ishtar), Arai Akino (MACROSS PLUS's Sharon/Myung), Kanno Youko (MACROSS PLUS composer and musician) and special guest Iijima Mari (Minmay) I read about it on EX. The article is here

Yeah I remember reading that article at the time. Wow, it seems so long ago... I believe Valkyrie owns a copy of the concert program.

So, what, does a recording of this concert exist, then? If so, I want it too.

Interesting... :)

How many copies does he plan to make?