Custom SV-51

Dobber

Hi Everybody! (Hi Dr. Nick!) I just put the first clear coat on and while I "patiently" wait for it to dry I thought I'd show you all some pictures. Hope you like. I'll post more pics when it's finished if anyone is interested.

Chris

(EDIT) these are new pictures in the smaller resolution to make it more accessable.

post-3-1083426425_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dobber

Just trying to see if I can figure out how to make a smaller picture....this is only a test :p

Chris

No luck :( ....picture removed

Edited by Dobber

Thanks Everyone! I'm a little further along now I've done most of the panel lines.but haven't really done much else I've been too busy. Overall I'm happy with it but it's the first camo job and model plane I've done in a while. Some fit problems, and paint lines are my main disappointments. I'd love to get another one and give it another try when this is done because I love the design and I now know the problem areas. This whole thing Is brush painted, I have no airbrush, had a cheap Testors "Double action?" but couldn't get the hang of it plus the clean up was a bitch!! I'm too impatient that way I guess.

I'd love to post more pictures but I don't know how to scale down the pictures ala Grahams request. Any suggestions?

Also I've followed WM Chengs instructions on how to do panel lines and tried different variations on it and it ALWAYS takes off the base coat (I must be doing something wrong!!!) so I just use my trusty artists pencil. Basically, I'm a brush painter that's reached the limit of my abilities that dosen't have the time or money to invest in an airbrush and practice. :( but I hope you all still like it!!

Chris

Great job Chris!!

Wow, your brush skills are fantastic!! Did you mask then hand brush, or did you do all those sharp corners freehand? Truely admirable, my brush skills have gone down the crapper since I rely too much on my airbrush now - I only brush the smallest of parts :p . I break out the airbrush for even some really shamefully stupid parts - but I just can't get the paint even and thin enough on large surfaces.

Too bad to hear about your panel line problems. There could be one of two reasons or a combination of both. What are you brush painting with (what type of paint?) and did you apply a clear coat (with a different solvent base) to protect the paint before you panel lined? I essentially sandwich my paints with different solvent based layers to protect each other from interacting with each other. The Tamiya Acrylic base coat (acrylic), then a layer of ModelMaster Acryl clear-coat (which is laquer based dispite the name), then artist oil wash (thinned with low odour varsol - mineral spirits). You see that all these three layers have a different solvent base and therefore do not interact with each other. You can go on layering them - I usually use a clear-coat layer to seal in every step of the way. It allows an "undo" to the previous stage should I need to strip anything away.

Looking forward to more posts.

Great job Chris!!

Wow, your brush skills are fantastic!!  Did you mask then hand brush, or did you do all those sharp corners freehand?  Truely admirable, my brush skills have gone down the crapper since I rely too much on my airbrush now - I only brush the smallest of parts  :p .  I break out the airbrush for even some really shamefully stupid parts - but I just can't get the paint even and thin enough on large surfaces.

Too bad to hear about your panel line problems.  There could be one of two reasons or a combination of both.  What are you brush painting with (what type of paint?) and did you apply a clear coat (with a different solvent base) to protect the paint before you panel lined?  I essentially sandwich my paints with different solvent based layers to protect each other from interacting with each other.  The Tamiya Acrylic base coat (acrylic), then a layer of ModelMaster Acryl clear-coat (which is laquer based dispite the name), then artist oil wash (thinned with low odour varsol - mineral spirits).  You see that all these three layers have a different solvent base and therefore do not interact with each other.  You can go on layering them - I usually use a clear-coat layer to seal in every step of the way.  It allows an "undo" to the previous stage should I need to strip anything away.

Looking forward to more posts.

WM Cheng,

I Use Testors <_< My local hobby shop barely qualifies as one :p I prefer Acrylics and for the most part use only Model Master Acrylics. However, since all the colors aren't available in Acrylic I'll also use regular Model Master paints. I haven't tried to panel line wash on this model because I didn't want to ruin the complex paint scheme. I used a variation of masking and free hand....I have a pretty steady hand ;) The last time I tried to wash, though, I'm pretty sure I followed those steps but from what I remember After the wash was applied I couldn't get the Excess off? Maybe it wasn't thinned enough...oh yeah I was using India ink. Also what should be used to remove the excess in your equation...more low odor varisol?

Finally can anyone tell me how to size down my pictures? I can't figure it out!!! Do I need to do something with my camera or is it down on windows? Thanks Again everyone.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Me again, I figured out how to make the resolution smaller so here are a few more pics. I've been a little busy lately so the only differences are now the panel lines are done and the paint has been touched up, particularly around the anti-personel guns. I'm nearly finished with the vertical stabs and then I'll put the decals on, shade the panel lines and weather the whole thing.

Chris

post-3-1083425638_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dobber

OK I lied!! :p Now that I know how to make my pictures small enough to post i'd thought I'd share a few more. Here is a size comparison next to my Custom Vf-1s. I have a display stand that I still need to varnish and then a few more valks to finish and put in formation. The VF-1s is a 1/72 hasegawa it just looks bigger because it's on a stand :D

Chris

post-3-1083427346_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dobber

On the VF-1. I did't have or know about any custom decals at the time. ALL the markings except the number and the UN SPACY on the gun pod are hand drawn on or hand painted on, including the Pukn' Dog and the UN spacy emblem! B))

You can also se a Roy Vf-1S strike I "was" working on I'll get around to it eventually :p

Chris

post-3-1083427688_thumb.jpg

Again these entire models are hand painted with brushes. weathering is down with ground pastels and pencils. Hope you all like! this really is the last one!!! I'll post more of the SV-51 when I'm further along.

Chris

post-3-1083427838_thumb.jpg

Damn steady hands, dude. Those painted on markings are pretty frakking impressive!

Oh yeah... Cutting those eight antennas on the nose out of styrene sheet when I build the SV-51 will be a complete chore, but I hope it will be worth it. The thick plastic thing isn't doing it for me.

Thanks! yeah those antennas are a bit thick! Maybe someone will do a Photo-etched set some day. Good Luck though! ;)

Wicked Ace: SWEETNESS!!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

wow...i didn't know there were so many Pukin Dog fans around. Steady hands you have there guys.

Would love to see more of that VF-1 and the one in Splinter camo.

If you were talking about mine here you go!

Chris

post-3-1083459205_thumb.jpg

Dobber, is that VF-1 all done by brush, too? :o

Yup, the whole thing including the panel shading! What I do is after the base coat is down, I'll go over panel lines with a thinned darker shade(in this case dark ghost gray over the base light ghost gray) then when it's time to weather the plane I'll go over the same areas with ground pastel chalk with a brush. The more often I go over an area the darker it'll be. I tend to make MAJOR seam areas a little darker since the seal is being broken more frequently in flight due to transformation, just my theory though I painted this particular valk as if it's in the twilight of it's career, hense the pilot in the Mac plus flight suit.

Chris

post-3-1083503807_thumb.jpg