Bandai DX VF-171 shoulder triangle (Shapeways)

Xigfrid

That's a pleasure and thank you for the support!

Except If you leave in the USA where Shapeways shipping costs are affordable, you should consider to order both of the two available versions: the one with and the other one without the lower triangle fit.

Big update for colored version!

I finally was able to put all the textures correctly and after dozen of dozen emails with Shapeways services, I got 4 versions ready for "FULL COLOR PLASTIC" material.

You can have a look at the models here:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/xigfrid3dshop?section=VF-171+NUNS+textured

There are the VF-171 CF version triangle with or without the lower triangle fit and the ALTO (red and black) versions.

The good news is that it is cheaper than what I expected! 15 USD for a set of left and right triangles. Unfortunately, this material is available only to the designer for the moment, let's hope it would be made public soon. That means that if you want one now, you would have to send me a PM.

Edited by Xigfrid

Big update for colored version!

I finally was able to put all the textures correctly and after dozen of dozen emails with Shapeways services, I got 4 versions ready for "FULL COLOR PLASTIC" material.

You can have a look at the models here:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/xigfrid3dshop?section=VF-171+NUNS+textured

There are the VF-171 CF version triangle with or without the lower triangle fit and the ALTO (red and black) versions.

The good news is that it is cheaper than what I expected! 15 USD for a set of left and right triangles. Unfortunately, this material is available only to the designer for the moment, let's hope it would be made public soon. That means that if you want one now, you would have to send me a PM.

What do you mean with or without the lower triangle fit?

What do you mean with or without the lower triangle fit?

There are 2 triangles that fold one into the other. They both are prone to breakage.

The larger one, the upper one, is the more visible and it folds into the shoulder when transforming.

The lower one, folds and hide itself into the part that becomes the batroid chest. It has small impact on the fighter esthetic and I can't do a replacement part for it, mainly because the part is too slim.

If your lower triangle is not broken, then you should take the version with the "lower triangle fit". This version has a cavity where the lower triangle comes and fit into the NUNS triangle.

post-15880-0-60969200-1421262841_thumb.jpg

If your lower triangle is broken, you better order a Upper triangle wihtout this hole for the "lower triangle".

post-15880-0-70574200-1421262907_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I tested the "Full Color Plastic" and it works. However, the colors are a bit faded in particular the black.

I much prefer the "Black Strong and Flexbile" material because the black is good and the plastic is more rigid and solid.

ASSEMBLY:

post-15880-0-57916700-1424008691_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-59830400-1424008700_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-20082200-1424008715_thumb.jpg

Assembly and color comparison from left to right: the Full Color Plastic, Black Strong and Flexible, original triangle.

post-15880-0-12159300-1424008766_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-98941200-1424008773_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work, Xigfrid! I would buy your replacement triangles in a heartbeat, but the thigh joints on mine also disintegrated. Is there any chance that you could make replacements for these too?

I don't see which part could be broken, have you any picture of that ?

I'll PM you about maybe splitting an order. Shipping isn't outrageous but it's also not exactly cheap when you only want one set.

I would gladly help, just send me a PM and we will work out a solution ;)

I will have a look closer with my own 171 as soon as I have some free time. It seems not that complicated from first sight.

However, there is a mechnism that make mandatory that you rotate the leg before freeing them from fighter mode. So if you try to free them without prior rotating the leg, it could put stress on the thigh parts.

• 2 months later...

hi, can you make a tutorial to fix the triangle problems, or what part is the one to got broke, thanks

No problem, here you go. I didn't apply excessive force when bending the legs; it seems like the parts developed fractures on their own and my bending them finished the job. It looks like broken thigh joints are becoming pretty common.

wow so sorry for the legs, i already order mine 2 days ago and i didnt know about these problems...

• 5 weeks later...

No problem, here you go. I didn't apply excessive force when bending the legs; it seems like the parts developed fractures on their own and my bending them finished the job. It looks like broken thigh joints are becoming pretty common.

Wow, I didn't know that there was a different problems with the 171Ex. :wacko: Is there a fix for the thigh part as of now?