Flashback 2012 (again)

the white drew carey

So I finished it. Feel free to visit the actual page itself here (which also helps to boost my page stats... :D) : http://www.asplenia-...ack-2012-again/. Otherwise, after the image I will include the part from the blogpost discussing what I did to make this and, of course, what I did wrong! :huh:

699__800x800_fb2012reduxsmall.png

I tried many new and different things with my markers for this one, to varying degrees of success. For the purple and pink fabrics crossing Minmay’s chest and waist, as well as her head scarf, I tried to emulate the original animation and refrained from using solid black lines, in order to create a more soft and flowy feeling. Regretfully, a “marker malfunction” left me with no choice but to put Minmay’s face in more shadow than I had planned, but it kind of works out considering she is under stage lights, yes? I also have to admit that I made a big error in applying Minmay’s lipstick, and am not very happy with how it positions her mouth. Errrr…

For the Megaroad in the background, I used a technique of varying greys and black, as well as multi-layering shades of colors in order to get a slightly blurred look. I’m not sure how well it turned out, but I hope it looks OK.

Edited by the white drew carey

• 2 weeks later...

Great job! Love the drawing & shading on the VF-4, and the foreshortening on Minmay's hand.

Two tiny suggestions for the next one (take w/ a grain of salt):

• mute or tone down the background bring the focus on the foreground characters & mecha
  • spread the starfield in clusters so that it's less uniform; perhaps add a colored nebula streak

Keep it up!!! :)

It's awesome man!!!

I don't like how the stars turned out. Smaller, and in clusters as grapetang suggested would probably do the trick. There's also something off with the Megaroad, it does not blend well (the shading makes it look out of focus, maybe you were going for that effect?).

Just constructive criticism ;) Other than that it's perfect.

I like the out of focus Megaroad. I love the clothing and its coloring. I too am not a fan of the stars. I love analog art... who thought we'd ever have to say something like that? Working with markers/pens is a dying tradition.

I don't like Minmay's lipstick -- it makes the shape and angle of her mouth feel a little off.

I figured I do something besides gushing over the work, since I think it's pretty awesome. Maybe some feedback about what isn't working will make the next one even better?

Chillyche- I agree with everything you said. It is like we have the same brain! The lipstick really got screwed up. Uff-dah!

"I figured I do something besides gushing over the work, since I think it's pretty awesome. Maybe some feedback about what isn't working will make the next one even better?"

Precisely.

:)

Nice, it really pops from the background

I like the out of focus Megaroad. I love the clothing and its coloring. I too am not a fan of the stars. I love analog art... who thought we'd ever have to say something like that? Working with markers/pens is a dying tradition.

I don't like Minmay's lipstick -- it makes the shape and angle of her mouth feel a little off.

I figured I do something besides gushing over the work, since I think it's pretty awesome. Maybe some feedback about what isn't working will make the next one even better?

Agreed