YF-29 (canon, in-series info)

sketchley

Macross Ace Vol.007 (2010.12.25) provides some insight into why a new VF is being designed in such a short period (outside of the obvious out-of-universe reason of expanding the model/toy lines to make more ¥¥¥)

Pg 13 lineart

- in addition to both leg engines, there are engines in both wings. It's maneuverability is high.

- the energy shields have been drastically improved with the use of fold quartz using mechanisms.

- the cockpit is based on the mass-produced VF-25 and uses EX-gear

- has canards to increase the control and stability during high-speed launches.

- forward-swept wings are it's features

The text around the article says (if my skim reading is correct) that it's stylized after the VF-19, based on the VF-25 with the 25's silhouette. Something about the VF-27 and VF-25 Tornado pack appearing, but too briefly for mecha fans, and that in-series, the VFs ending with 9 (VF-9, VF-19, YF-29), it has forward-swept wings. The YF-29 is developed in the same period as the VF-25. There have also been 11 years since the appearance of the Vajra in the Gaul 4 incident, and there have been increases in technology, specifically anti-Vajra technology. The roll-out of the YF-29 is timely. Stealthiness, use of fold quartz, etc.. Developed by Shinsei Industry and L.A.I. Uses the mass-produced VF-25's control system. Has the functions of the VF-25's Super Pack and Tornado Pack in it's base form.

Anyhow, if I understand the details of the lineart correctly, there are 2 micro-missiles in each engine nacelle, for a total of 8. There are also the hip machine-guns/beam machine-guns. 2 head lasers and a head antenna. Lastly, there are what appear to bee a pair of large-bore beam guns slightly inward and forward of the tails. The elongated nose implies the use of ISC.

The model-kit's gun pod also looks different. I'd hazard a guess and say that it's similar to the VF-27's gun pod, but opens into 4 sections - mind you, it could be two, and the extra two are simply due to how the model is made.

The model also has a blurb saying that because the (model kit's) parts are few, the finished result will look closer to the original CG modelling.

Has the functions of the VF-25's Super Pack and Tornado Pack in it's base form.

I was going to say, the extra engines built into the wings that everybody around here hates so much almost looks like the engines from the Tornado Pack were built into the plane this time.

At certain angles I like the way this thing looks, at others I hate it. Would be nice to see the other two modes as well, maybe it really shines in Battroid and Gerwalk or something.

Hmmm, I agree about the relative ugliness of the wing mounted engines on the forward swept wing. I always thought that FSW type fighters are supposed to be "lighter and more agile" and those mounted engines make it look otherwise. This is nowhere near the same as the VF-27s which has a very heavy fighter look.

The YF-29 feels like they tried to cross breed a VF-19 with a VF-27, and somehow they came up with this.

The model-kit's gun pod also looks different. I'd hazard a guess and say that it's similar to the VF-27's gun pod, but opens into 4 sections - mind you, it could be two, and the extra two are simply due to how the model is made.

The model also has a blurb saying that because the (model kit's) parts are few, the finished result will look closer to the original CG modelling.

From a merchandizing point of view it is very smart product idea and hopefully a harbinger of future releases of non-hero Valkyries in the Bandai stable.

A simple assembly model kit that is cheap to make, small in size for collectability, lower in production cost = higher profit potential compared to the VF100 & VF HiMetal lines, and direct competition to Wave's line of VF-1 kits...

As fans and consumers of Macross goods, we may want to encourage Bandai, in any way we can, to continue with this line and expand it to include things like VF-4, VF-2-SS, VF-171, VF-27 etc...B))

This might be the vehicle by which we will finally see mass produced collector's kits of the Valks we love, that have not seen much love in the toy/kit market in previous years...

I'm really torn on this one. There are some things I definitely like about it, but some things that just don't make it look like a "Macross" Valkyrie. To me, it looks Something that you'd see in a video game, like Gradius, or R-Type. Looks a little to "spacy" for me in some ways. On the other hand, in those realms, it looks pretty damn cool. In finding out that the red/white one is Alto's, it seems a bit too fast to have such a drastic change in Valkyrie design.

Ugh... no matter how many times I see it, I still find the YF-29 downright ugly and I can't imagine why they would need a mid-season upgrade that doesn't seem to offer anything they didn't already have in the VF-25 and VF-27.

I dont like how Fold Quartz has become some magical crystal for making stuff better.

Eh? So far, its applications seem limited to only fold-related technologies like fold drives, communications, the dimensional shift thingy that makes the ISC go, and pin-point barriers. That's hardly a magic "make anything better" material. Now if you want to talk about tachyons or Robotech's magic flowers...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Eh? So far, its applications seem limited to only fold-related technologies like fold drives, communications, the dimensional shift thingy that makes the ISC go, and pin-point barriers. That's hardly a magic "make anything better" material. Now if you want to talk about tachyons or Robotech's magic flowers...

...And magic bullets, and magic missiles, and singing...

It's the Force for Macross!

Ugh... no matter how many times I see it, I still find the YF-29 downright ugly and I can't imagine why they would need a mid-season upgrade that doesn't seem to offer anything they didn't already have in the VF-25 and VF-27.

The thing is the VF-27 better than the VF-25 in every way AND is evil. They need a better Mech for the hero to use so he's not totally outclasses by the bad guys. :p

The thing is the VF-27 better than the VF-25 in every way AND is evil. They need a better Mech for the hero to use so he's not totally outclasses by the bad guys. :p

But isn't that what the hero is supposed to be about, been able to overcome adversity... oh wait, I forgot, to be a hero today, you have to have better equipment or you're toast.

The Macross version of Minovski particles.

Graham

yeah.... but the only source of these crystals are from dead Varja, correct? Thus creation of the term, Conflict Fold Crystals? After all, Macross Frontier fleet did gleefully declare war on one particular faction/nesting group of Varja and forced them to leave their planet*. maybe the Japanesse might think that's cool but History shows that Might Makes Right makes for famous and reviled peoples, depending on which side of the winner's circle your in... :(

*yeah, yeah, yeah toss in the bear cans into the stew, including that it was Macross Galaxy controlling the Varja & Ranka communicating that it was good idea for the Varja to leave since the foreigners were invading but still

Edited by pensives_wetness

yeah.... but the only source of these crystals are from dead Varja, correct? Thus creation of the term, Conflict Fold Crystals? After all, Macross Frontier fleet did gleefully declare war on one particular faction/nesting group of Varja and forced them to leave their planet*. maybe the Japanesse might think that's cool but History shows that Might Makes Right makes for famous and reviled peoples, depending on which side of the winner's circle your in... :(

*yeah, yeah, yeah toss in the bear cans into the stew, including that it was Macross Galaxy controlling the Varja & Ranka communicating that it was good idea for the Varja to leave since the foreigners were invading but still

That would make an excellent OVA. Persecuted cyborg team hunts rogue fleet harvesting conflict crystals. I can taste the missile circus that would entail.

Vajra does have a precedent in Galactic Whales. Galactic Whales are hunted and sold to the black market, usually Humans, because they have properties that enhance fold engines. Like the Vajra Galactic Whales can space fold. It was thought they were not sentient because they were in essence space plants. Basara affinity to reach the most alien of lifeforms showed the Galactic Whales are sentient.

The Zola government considers Galactic Whales as a protected species as such Zola Patrol equipped with Valkyries is dispatch to deal with poachers.

They put all their science-tech-speak into trying to explain song energy/spiritia....

Valid point

The new VFs are more like space fighters. Whats next a variable UFO !

You know, honestly, it makes sense. The first variable fighters were designed, primarily, for atmospheric combat. As time progressed, space combat became more and more prevalent, and so, air combat features are being neglected, in favor of better spaceframe design.

I still prefer the first YF-29 design we saw...

post-3243-129386354243_thumb.jpg

you mean the jet that doesn't transform; from Engage Planet Kiss dum, that show from 2007 that Nobody watched; which has nothing to do with macross other than mecha designs by Shoji Kawamori? :rolleyes:

you mean the jet that doesn't transform; from Engage Planet Kiss dum, that show from 2007 that Nobody watched; which has nothing to do with macross other than mecha designs by Shoji Kawamori? :rolleyes:

Snap!

You're right!

I thought it looked familiar... :lol:

Still, it does look better than the Macross YF-29!! :rolleyes:

I just noticed something eyebrow raising in Macross Ace #007: in the Macross Goods News, Gashapon section, there are a VF-29 (Aruto), Ow/ouch VF-29 (Sheryl), Ow/ouch VF-29 (Ranka).

Is it a typo, or something else? I'm guessing the former, as the Aruto version has the same colours as the YF-19.

I just noticed something eyebrow raising in Macross Ace #007: in the Macross Goods News, Gashapon section, there are a VF-29 (Aruto), Ow/ouch VF-29 (Sheryl), Ow/ouch VF-29 (Ranka).

Is it a typo, or something else? I'm guessing the former, as the Aruto version has the same colours as the YF-19.

If you're talking about the "V," yeah...I'm sure it's a typo.