I can help you my friend...
. You might want to post this in the Model Forum as well...Lots of good guys there. Anyway....I was a model builder years ago, but had gotten away from it for about 15 years..so when I finally had a place to build again, I wanted to start with something simple-ish and REALLY always wanted a Fan Racer, so I took the chance. I already new Yamato made a good (99% of the time) toy, so I figured their models had to be at least descent. Make sure you get the fan racer with the pilot included! It's the newer release. The first release didn't have one!
To answer your questions in order...
1. You will need glue. Normal everyday Testors Model Cement is what i use most of the time, but liquid superglue is quickly becoming a favorite of mine as well.
2. The paint scheme made me nervous as well. White was always a difficult color to spray for me and against an orange...yeh. But never fear, buy yourself some Tamiya masking tape..and then some good painters tape from the local hardware store and you should be good to go.
3. If you have a good local hobby shop, then yes, I don't. Most of the time Tamiya product is hard to find for me and I have to buy it online, so good luck. However, I recently discovered that the new Hobby Lobby close to me has a pretty good selection of things.
4. For this particular model, I used Tamiya gloss white and Orange Spray Cans. Now....I usually my airbrush for everything, so this was a big departure for me, however, it turned out great. I will say this....go buy the cheapest model you can find that you don't care about and practice TEST painting it first!!!
5. I never really keep track of how long it took me, but not more than a few hours over a couple of weekends. ---Most important thing about building models---HAVE LOTS OF PATIENCE! If you feel yourself getting frustrated, just walk away for a couple of days....it always helps! Trust me!!!
Hope this helps..if you wanna ask anything else you can feel free to PM me.
ps..the stand is NOT included...it was from an old 1:100 Valk kit I never finished, but I thought it was awesome for the Fan Racer!
Edited by derex3592, 03 December 2011 - 06:16 AM.