Robotech: Shadow Chronicles Problem

I have a problem...

See, I LOVE Genesis Climber MOSPEADA...

Robotech has a place in my heart due to the impact it had on me as a kid...

However, I think Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles is an utter piece of trash and... and... oh, so many more bad things to say about it!

Now, where my problem is, is that, since I am such a big MOSPEADA fan, I still love seeing anything new related to it, even including the RT:SC Super Cyclone (a ripoff of an unused MOSPEADA design, later called the Devastator in the RPGs), the Invid Overlord (a Beta fighter/TLEAD with an Invid/Inbit-looking skin on it), and even the Silverback (a sort of transforming dunebuggy put together with leftover Cyclone/MOSPEADA parts)...

How do I reconcile how sorely ripped off, as a fan and a consumer, I feel with Shadow Chronicles with my enjoyment of getting ANYTHING new MOSPEADA-related?

Help me world, help me...

Easy - you accept that a Robotech product based on Mospedea is NOT "related" to Mospedea, which you love.

It would be the same for a Macross fan who "loves to see anything new about Macross-related products" and therefore must own the Toynami Masterpiece Veritech fighters or yearns to own the Alpha fighter that Rick Hunter flew in or needs an SDF-3 or etc etc etc etc

It might seem like a hard thing to do - but just do it.

I mean - think of it this way:

I love Misa Hayese and I think her relationship with Hikaru is sweet.

But do I therefore like the Sentinels scenes where their Robotech counterparts get married?

NO.

Voice acting sucks, it's sappy, it's anti-climactic compared to how Kawamori closes out the series - it's basically something best left to the imagination and the realm of the unknown, just like Macross leaves it.

Same with the figures/mecha etc etc....

So... just stick to Mospedea and forget the "related" stuff if it's not "related" but just Robotech.

Pete

Easy - you accept that a Robotech product based on Mospedea is NOT "related" to Mospedea, which you love.

It would be the same for a Macross fan who "loves to see anything new about Macross-related products" and therefore must own the Toynami Masterpiece Veritech fighters or yearns to own the Alpha fighter that Rick Hunter flew in or needs an SDF-3 or etc etc etc etc

It might seem like a hard thing to do - but just do it.

I mean - think of it this way:

I love Misa Hayese and I think her relationship with Hikaru is sweet.

But do I therefore like the Sentinels scenes where their Robotech counterparts get married?

NO.

Voice acting sucks, it's sappy, it's anti-climactic compared to how Kawamori closes out the series - it's basically something best left to the imagination and the realm of the unknown, just like Macross leaves it.

Same with the figures/mecha etc etc....

So... just stick to Mospedea and forget the "related" stuff if it's not "related" but just Robotech.

Pete

I know what you mean, and, obviously, my post up above it said half-joking, tongue-in-cheek, but at the same time, I think Macross fans have the benefit of having subsequent Macross series to enjoy, like Frontier, etc. (I've only ever kind of skimmed these series, to be honest, so my understanding is that it's new characters, but the same universe, with the exception of DYRL, which is sort of a new take on the original story). Unfortunately, with MOSPEADA, there's been nothing, except for Love Live Alive, which is really just a clips show.

Thus, the way a Macross fan would look forward to seeing a new Macross-style transforming fighter (Valkyrie, or am I mixing in Robotech terminology now?), I still enjoy seeing new MOSPEADA-style mecha, even if the story they appear in is utter trash... and the mecha themselves aren't very original...

Well here's your first problem, you watched Shadow Chronicles.

Twice.

TWICE.

Once a year later, when poor memory made me think it might be better this time (like the way I liked Megazone 23 better when I watched it a second time a year or two later)...

... and it wasn't any better.

Even my son thought it was terrible, and I raised him on Robotech and Batman Beyond.

Just think of it like I think of the Star Wars Prequels... really elaborate parodies that aren't that funny.

Nice :lol:

Though, when you think about it, at least those appealed to SOMEBODY. I mean, a lot of young kids liked the Star Wars prequels.

Did anybody like Shadow Chronicles? I mean, other than Tommy Yune?

I'm not sure why you're asking for help, you'll either like it or you won't. As an adult, I really can't watch Robotech, but when I was 14 (probably a little too old for cartoons), I thought it was pretty cool. If I put myself in the mindset of that 14 year old, Shadow Chronicles is pretty cool, much better than the Sentinels.

Wait a minute...

Even my son thought it was terrible, and I raised him on Robotech and Batman Beyond.

Your son? I thought you were like 13 or something.

I heard it was a best seller at some point. Then again, it's not like it had competition.

I think that's right up there with that BIG award it won for best animated feature at some film festival... where it was also the only animated entry.

I'm not sure why you're asking for help, you'll either like it or you won't. As an adult, I really can't watch Robotech, but when I was 14 (probably a little too old for cartoons), I thought it was pretty cool. If I put myself in the mindset of that 14 year old, Shadow Chronicles is pretty cool, much better than the Sentinels.

Wait a minute...

Your son? I thought you were like 13 or something.

I know, I know... we're all on here, discussing cartoons...

The problem with Shadow Chronicles is simple, I have it, I've watched it a few times and have to say, its the same old result of Harmony Gold. When you take something you never created and or envisioned, then try to make it your own, well you get: The Shadow Chronicles". The fact its supposed to start where Mospeada/ New generation leaves off, they ended re making scenes where Rey, Rook and Yellow, Mint and Jim, etc should all be, instead they were written out (Lame!!!). At the end of RT new generation/Mospeada we clearly see the Fleet is wiped out by the Regiss. And in R.S.C. there they are ready to find Admiral Hunter, as well as the guy Louis who was from The Southern Cross era, wtf??? And then new enemy's who are very unoriginal and look like something borrowed from Mac Plus.

Granted many of us, my self included raced home to watch RT in 85-86, and as good as it was back then. I can still stomach the New Generation at times, Macross Saga not as much as anymore unless I feel like being totally nostalgic or high, either one. But its just gotten worse, especially with Shadow Chronic, I mean Chronicles. All these years to get something right and they still blew it.

As far as getting a New MOSPEADA series, who knows?? The fact that companies have been producing all new Toys is a positive sign!!

FINAL THOUGHT: HG should just go under, out of business and loose its rights so ALL the Macross stuff that CAN'T be imported to the US markets now, could then be purchased here and professional companies & Studios handling Macross Anime series, Dubbed or Subbed, your choice!!!!

Edited by 505thAirborne

Shadow Chronicles is why people make fun of geeks like us! How could you possibly take this genre seriously with fodder like that!

Can somebody please let animators know that CG looks horrible and cheep! Shame on you Harmony Gold for raping my childhood. Seriously, was every character in SC on steriods? and what the hell is up with that horrible music? why did they butcher the theme music to sound similiar to that of space balls?

This is why i disliked Gundam seed, sure the Mechs look great, but all the characters looked like rejects from Yu-gi-oh ( hope i got that right)

as far as im concered SC is pure crapolla, and the dialouge was smothered with every cleche known to sci-fi fandom. Shadow Chronicles is the "RUDY" of the series in that it tries ...and it tries...and it tries...and then tries again to messure up. The only diffrence between SC and rudy, is that when rudy finally got a chance to take the field, he actuallly made a small contribution to his team.

There's probably someone on robotech.com who genuinely liked it. But then there are a lot more feeling frustrated like you about it these days, some going way overboard about it.

Actually, I bet half of the members of robotech.com liked the Shadow Chronicles.

I forgot that some who hated Shadow Chonicles left or were banned from the site due to being unruly. That's probably why a lot of people there like SC.

Not so much pure hate, just frustration that HG acts like they found a cure for Cancer with RT as if they were the soul creators. Anyone can take someone else's' work, twist it a little and say look what I did. (Kind of how Stewie describes Myspace in Family Guy). But SC was just another HG idea or concept gone wrong.

I'd rather see a sequel to Southern Cross 1st!! :p

Look on the bright side - at least Shadow Chronicles was more tolerable than Robotech II: The Sentinels.

You were able to watch RT II, wow, you have patience. Between the bad music and Anime, I just couldn't do it!!