About the Macross Chronicles

I can't see those two massive barrels being just for flame throwers. They've gotta be something else. The plot just demanded a flame thrower sequence to remove the Vajra and the Cheyenne II was an obvious choice for the clean up role. But the size of those barrels leads me to think those are big beam guns, like on the old Tomahawk.

In looking at the new Macross Chronicles, it appears that the VF-11 isn't much bigger than the VF-1. I thought it was going to be bigger? Or perhaps I'm just looking at the size comparison and trying to figure out why the 19, 11, and 1 look like they're the same size.

In looking at the new Macross Chronicles, it appears that the VF-11 isn't much bigger than the VF-1. I thought it was going to be bigger? Or perhaps I'm just looking at the size comparison and trying to figure out why the 19, 11, and 1 look like they're the same size.

A VF-1 is 14.23m. A VF-11 is 15.51m in length. That's just a little more than a 1 m difference, i.e. that's not a lot.

I seem to recall reading an interview where Kawamori mentions the VF-11 Thunderbolt might be a little undersized. But since they didn't change the dimensions for the Macross Chronicle, I guess that means that he's okay with the dimensions again. Digressing, the VF-11 Thunderbolt isn't much larger than a VF-1 Valkyrie, particularly in Battroid mode. The VF-11 Thunderbolt is 12.92 meters tall while the VF-1 Valkyrie is 12.68 meters tall, but the VF-11 looks broader in the torso.

There's published text somewhere that specifically mentions that they are beam cannons.

Hmm thats nice then :p The Cheyenne II basically incorporates both versions of the Cheyenne I (Gatling version and missile version) while adding on the beam cannons of the Tomahawk? Talk about feature creep :p

About the VF-11--- I guess after Yamato found that they could make a 1/60 sized VF-11 without upsizing it, there was no need to retcon the published figures?

I seem to recall reading an interview where Kawamori mentions the VF-11 Thunderbolt might be a little undersized. But since they didn't change the dimensions for the Macross Chronicle, I guess that means that he's okay with the dimensions again. Digressing, the VF-11 Thunderbolt isn't much larger than a VF-1 Valkyrie, particularly in Battroid mode. The VF-11 Thunderbolt is 12.92 meters tall while the VF-1 Valkyrie is 12.68 meters tall, but the VF-11 looks broader in the torso.

See, that's what I thought as well. I also thought they kinda re-canonized the size to reflect what Kawamori wanted later on. That's more of what I was getting at. Well, I guess they're keeping the same dimensions as before? I guess this should mean that when I get my 1/60 VF-11, it's gonna be about the same size as the VF-1's? I hope not. Paying $200 almost for a toy that small is a shame.

HERE'S TO MY 1000TH POST!!! :D

I guess this should mean that when I get my 1/60 VF-11, it's gonna be about the same size as the VF-1's?

Yep. Check out the VF-11 1/60 Toy thread-- the VF-11 is about the length of the VF-1, but has a wingspan closer to that of the YF-21 (like shown in the anime)

So we're spending an all of this issue's Timeline section on Hikaru's day off..... :blink: Really?!?

Hikaru cons his friend into taking his dad's Ferrari, springs his girlfriend out of school, goes into the city for a fine lunch, takes in a museum, a ball game, and caps the day off by singing in a parade. :lol:

Hikaru cons his friend into taking his dad's Ferrari, springs his girlfriend out of school, goes into the city for a fine lunch, takes in a museum, a ball game, and caps the day off by singing in a parade. :lol:

Now I totally want to see that in place of the episode he spent in the hospital hallucinating to reused footage. :blink:

Chronicle 21 should make Seta Kaiba and Oihan very, very happy...

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-2SS Valkyrie II

* FZ-109 Elgezorun

* VF-25S Messiah

Character Sheet

* Sylvie Gena

* Edgar LaSalle

* Claudia LaSalle

* Kim / Shammy / Vanessa

* City 7 Media People

Gallery Sheet

* Macross 7

Timeline Sheet

* Diving Into the Sea of Stars

World Guide Sheet

* Civilian Military Provider

Technology Sheet

* Variable Fighter

Goods Sheet

* CharaKon

* Yamato 1/60 VF-1 Series

[WHAT? NO SONG SHEET???]

EDIT: Oh, and it also comes with the stickers for binder #3, and (strangely) U.N. Spacy and SMS logos.

Edited by Gubaba

Basara the son of Hikaru and Minmay, Mylene's relationship with Basara, Basara and Gamlin hot relationship and Fire Bomber's true to life story come to mind when I read that.

As much as I hate filler episodes, these episodes were awesome.

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-2SS Valkyrie II

* FZ-109 Elgezorun

* VF-25S Messiah

Any issue with a VF-1 article is always good.

Character Sheet

* Edgar LaSalle

* Claudia LaSalle

So can we finally have an answer about Edgar's and Claudia's relationship?

Timeline Sheet

* Diving Into the Sea of Stars

So how long is this part of the timeline gonna be? <_<

Technology Sheet

* Variable Fighter

Should have figured they won't be done with this section yet...

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-2SS Valkyrie II

* FZ-109 Elgezorun

* VF-25S Messiah

I must admit, I'm curious about the way in which the Chronicle will treat the VF-2SS Valkyrie II. Since this is the big flagship mecha of Macross II, the level of detail will tell us exactly how they intend to treat the rest of the mecha for the show. The Gigamesh wasn't bad and added a few pieces of information that we didn't have before. I'm hopeful the Chronicle teams do some more embellishing for the VF-2SS Valkyrie II.

Edited by Mr March

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-2SS Valkyrie II

Character Sheet

* Sylvie Gena

Technology Sheet

* Variable Fighter

Well well well... those idiots at Chronicle had better not screw this one up...

They really half-assed the Gigamesh and SNN Valkyrie mecha sheets... they'd better not do the same to my all-time favorite mecha, or there'll be hell to pay.

I'll consider it a rousing success if they actually straighten out the contradictory mess of information revolving around the weapons of the VF-2SS SAP Valkyrie II... but given their tendency to blindly parrot from existing sources without adding something new... be prepared for the gunpods to be identified only as "Gunpod". <_<

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much of this issue. Boy, was I surprised.

YF-19 - nothing really new here.

CVN-99 Asuka - at first I thought the tones/colours on the lineart made details clearer to see. Then I realized that there's a lot of previously unpublished lineart! Such as the bridge exterior and interior, open destroid booth, a rear 3/4 shot with the rear hatch open, etc.. I am disappointed that it doesn't list any specific weapons or the number of craft on it. But it does mention that the carrier has F-14A+, Avenger II, Sea Sergeant, VF-0, Ghost, and Destroids! Great to see SDF:M stuff mentioned. I was beginning to feel that M0 forgot about SDF:M.

UN Forces Aircraft - another surprise: Glamor ES-11D Early Warning Craft Cats Eye and McNell Douglar EC-33B Disk Sensor. Art isn't anything new, but getting more info on these is great.

Destroid - Cheyenne II: I was expecting the barest minimum of info on this. Having names for all of the weapons, along with engines, and other stats blew me away. The reverse has a bit of infor on the Destroid Works. Considering how much of a screen presence it had, it's great that it's getting a paragraph or two of write-up.

Macross Frontier Vehicles - I didn't know what to expect of this one. It's the Beatoriiche (Vaytriche?) - the APC/tank! The write up is only the barest minimum, with minimal stats, but surprises of surprises - there's lineart for it!!!!!!!!!!! The other vehicle is the Trailor truck (used in MF to move damaged VF-25/Vajra/etc..) Nothing special, but again, it's nice to see MF background stuff getting a bit of detail. (Look closely, and you may notice the deck of the truck has absolutely no detail.)

Isamu Dyson - nothing unexpected.

City 7 Mass Communication peoples - interesting that we're getting a page devoted to news casters and reporters...

Barauta Soldiers - surprisingly, the spiritia vampire/infiltrator gets the spotlight. Nice to see the Barauta Laser gun and Laser Rifle lineart.

Timeline - lineart of Kamjin's half jungle covered Medium-Size Gunship is priceless. Does this page really mark the end of SDF:M???

The remainder is pretty much as expected, except... for next issue's cover: really, really, really sweet looking painting of the VF-2SS Valkyrie II. After M+ came out, I stopped being a fan of MII. But this one piece of art reminds me of the cool parts of MII. It also looks like next issue will have the Full Armour version of the VF-25S.

As it's issue #20 - don't forget to fill-out the mail-in for your free post cards and chance to win something cool!

I started filing the rest of the issues into the binder last night (I had only done the first two or three issues).

I was not planning to buy another Macross binder, rather just use a standard cheapo one. However, I just realized that there are hardly any binders on the market that use this three-ring design... They've obviously done this to make you buy their overpriced binder. And the pages aren't proper A4, which means you can't get around it by putting them into those plastic sleeves you can get...

Argh. I might just have to make more holes in the pages to make them fit into a bog-standard binder. What is everyone else doing to try and by-pass the Official Macross binder rip-off and still file the sheets neatly?

I started filing the rest of the issues into the binder last night (I had only done the first two or three issues).

I was not planning to buy another Macross binder, rather just use a standard cheapo one. However, I just realized that there are hardly any binders on the market that use this three-ring design... They've obviously done this to make you buy their overpriced binder. And the pages aren't proper A4, which means you can't get around it by putting them into those plastic sleeves you can get...

Argh. I might just have to make more holes in the pages to make them fit into a bog-standard binder. What is everyone else doing to try and by-pass the Official Macross binder rip-off and still file the sheets neatly?

Me? I'm buying another binder.

Consume...you must consuuuuuummmme...

Uh, I'm using plastic sleeves and they are working just fine. The only pages that were a problem were the pages for issue 1 and 2, which have a slight bend, but still fit. Ever since then, all 17 consecutive issues have fit perfectly flat into plastic sleeves. It's working for me.

Me? I'm buying another binder.

Consume...you must consuuuuuummmme...

Same here, but I hope it doesn't go past 5 binders. I bought the last 2 that HMV japan had in stock. And I have found only one place in Singapore that sells them... @ 46 SGDs, around $30 USD a piece <_<

Chronicle #22:

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-25F Messiah

* VF-19P Excalibur

* Meltrandi Craft

* Macross Galaxy

Character Sheet

* Alto Saotome

* Exsedol Formo

* Macross 7 Operator Girls [W00T!!! Sally and Miho!!]

Timeline Sheet

* A Fateful Reunion [Hmmm...sounds like we've moved into MacPlus territory, doesn't it...?]

History Sheet

* Galaxy Fleet Attack

Technology Sheet

* Variable Fighter / Gunpod

Song Sheet

* Triangler / Lion

Extra Sheet

* Macross Super Dimension Launching Ceremony

Chronicle #22:

Mechanic Sheet

* Meltrandi Craft

* Macross Galaxy

Character Sheet

* Macross 7 Operator Girls [W00T!!! Sally and Miho!!]

So are we finally getting class names for Meltran ships?

Given how sparse we know about Macross Galaxy it is a treat.

Miho Miho got a transfer to the Vahalla III. Kim Saintlaurent marries Doc Chiba. (Yes it had to be the meganeko MILF for him)

Which brings to question what happen to rest of the bridge bunnies while the new Battle 7 was still being built. (Well at least the Twins could still have their job in their ship.)

So are we finally getting class names for Meltran ships?

There was more...I just didn't feel like pulling out my kanji dictionary to read it all. In other words, it's probably a specific ship, but I don't know which one.

Miho Miho got a transfer to the Vahalla III. Kim Saintlaurent marries Doc Chiba. (Yes it had to be the meganeko MILF for him)

Yot-chan became the manager of Nyan-Nyan. Kim moved to Eden. Shammy had eleven kids. Vanessa married Rori.

What's your point...? :p

Kim moved to Eden. Shammy had eleven kids. Vanessa married Rori.

Are you serious? I was always curious what the SDFM canon fates were for them, since Robotech implies that they all died in "Khyron's" assault on the "SDF-2"...

Are you serious? I was always curious what the SDFM canon fates were for them, since Robotech implies that they all died in "Khyron's" assault on the "SDF-2"...

Yep, that's what happened. They show up in the Macross 7 Docking Festival Drama Album, and in the booklet that comes with the CD, they have a little essay documenting what happened to them.

That's also where they mention that little Yot-chan became the man who turned Nyan-Nyan into a huge galaxy-wide chain...and that later got referenced in the Macross Chronicle, so all of this appears to be canonical.

Shammy got married, had eleven kids, and lives on the Moon. Kim is still single, and is retired on Eden. Vanessa married Rori, but unfortunately, all three of the Miclone spies soured on "that devil culture," became bitter, and turned to alcohol. Vanessa now manages a pub...Rori doesn't work, so they're pretty poor.

One of the reasons why many prefer the Macross ending.

Besides Shammy outdoing Millia in the baby making department is amusing.

The effects of Space War 1 was still felt 35 years later as mama Millia wanted her youngest daughter to marry. And you wonder what drove the sisters out of the proverbial house.

Bet they were horrified of all the omiai proposals of their mother.

Mylene the runt is their sacrificial lamb.

At least Moa has an excuse of kicking combiner ass as a VF pilot.

Wow - thanks for that, Gubaba! I knew about Yot-chan from MacF's backstory materials, but never caught the Bridge Bunnies' fates.

Did Shammy marry her Miclone spy? (I forget his name.) What a sad fate for Vanessa.

Edited by AcroRay

Wow - thanks for that! I knew about Yot-chan from MacF's backstory materials, but never caught the Bridge Bunnies' fates.

Did Shammy marry her Miclone spy? (I forget his name.) What a sad fate for Vanessa.

Well...that's the weird part. Because Rori was the one Shammy was dating...but he ended up marrying Vanessa... :unsure:

But then, I guess stuff like that happens in real life, too.

I don't *think* they ever mentioned who Shammy married, but Global performed the wedding.

No news on Claudia, unfortunately.

There was more...I just didn't feel like pulling out my kanji dictionary to read it all. In other words, it's probably a specific ship, but I don't know which one.

Looks like "Meltraendi Forces Warship(s)" or "Meltraendi Forces Fleet".

Judging how sheets for similar background vessels are, we'll probably get one with two or three ships.

@Gubaba: forgetting about http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dict are we? Internet be good for reducing book lugging.

Looks like "Meltraendi Forces Warship(s)" or "Meltraendi Forces Fleet".

Judging how sheets for similar background vessels are, we'll probably get one with two or three ships.

@Gubaba: forgetting about http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dict are we? Internet be good for reducing book lugging.

I never think to use it when I'm doing the Chronicle Sheets...

It was a great help for starting off "Misa Hayase: White Reminiscences," though. ^_^