Bandai 1/55 Arm Mod Question

Skull-1

Has anyone taken this little notch out of the inside of a Bandai 1/55 arm to allow it to move closer to the body?

post-318-1186778478_thumb.jpgpost-318-1186778489_thumb.jpg

I am trying to recreate the Max "A" pose and the arm doesn't reach the gunpod as the bevel in the upper arm keeps it from reaching the gunpod.

Edited by Skull-1

• 2 weeks later...
BigF....

HELLO??????????????????????????????????

Got any pics of this thing?

First off, Id like to say hello! I havent been on these forums for a looong time.

to answer the question, I sand the arm notches completely off of every 1/55 custom I do. It does look much better, and and after I add my special ball jointed arm mod, and wrist mod, these 1/55s can do almost anyhting with their arms.

I have a super posable 1/55 that I completed about a year ago that I will post up soon.

EDIT: I remember I posted a detailed pic in BigF's "My Custom Chunkie, Oh no It another 1/55 Thigh mod" thread. its on the second page, along with my ball jointed shoulder mounts.

Edited by zanderwitaz

Sorry guys I have been away working and not had net access :angry:

Got some pictures of the arm mod unfortunately I cant find the before I covered it all in filler pictures so here go`s with what I have with some explanations too help.

In the first picture you can see the arm with mod and a thin 1mm strip of styrene glued and filled over the top. I was going for a more Yamato looking forearm. The green line (was supposed to be an arrow) is where I recon you could slice off some plastic to give the arm even more bend ablilty, It wouldnt show as its hidden by the body mostly.

post-3178-1188586780_thumb.jpg

The second one gives a kinda side on profile of the moded bit including an un moded shoulder (apart from ball joint).

post-3178-1188587148_thumb.jpg

zanderwitaz Good to see you. Dont worry as soon as I get the Hasegawa Vf1 off my desk I`ll be back to modding my 1/55.

Edited by big F

Where in the world did you find a TAN and ORANGE Boot???????????

Ebay, of course. the only one on at the time. The plastic is surprisingly better quality than the rest of the ones I've encountered. The joints were just as crappy though. I swapped in a bandai nose section and a few metal hinges. It's still tan and orange, but its a VF-1d now.

Well ya beat me to it.

My arms ar probably no th ebest to do comparisons with due to all the other mods done on them but that kinda what I was picturing doing.

There was a time that there were loads of orange boots on the bay.

Any boot is a good boot when mixed with the normal Bandai spares.

Sadly there isnt a master thread although if Skull-1, KingNor, Zanderwitaz, and co want to get together with me Im sure I could come up with a webpage for one. May be then they could post it on the MW main site and attract some new 1/55 nuts.

As far as where to start ... There are so many things you can do I supose that a good point is Skull 1`s A Stance mod its easy and fairly quick to do and is a major improvement., From there you could do the Swing arm mod, this cleans up the nose area on the valk, then do the foot mod to give the more Anime acurate slatted foot with pannel lines at the bottom That mod is acheived by various methods and is easy.

Once you go from there you can do this arm mod and then things like the retractable hand mod and some anime corrective cosmetic mods.

As Im sure your aware Skull is making an "Ultimate modded 1/55" but he has done this before and everytime he `s almost done he thinks up another great mod to add to his list :)

IMHO what we need at MW is a thread area dedicated to mods of the toylines and also some web page action too.

Sadly there isnt a master thread although if Skull-1, KingNor, Zanderwitaz, and co want to get together with me Im sure I could come up with a webpage for one. May be then they could post it on the MW main site and attract some new 1/55 nuts.

As far as where to start ... There are so many things you can do I supose that a good point is Skull 1`s A Stance mod its easy and fairly quick to do and is a major improvement., From there you could do the Swing arm mod, this cleans up the nose area on the valk, then do the foot mod to give the more Anime acurate slatted foot with pannel lines at the bottom That mod is acheived by various methods and is easy.

Once you go from there you can do this arm mod and then things like the retractable hand mod and some anime corrective cosmetic mods.

As Im sure your aware Skull is making an "Ultimate modded 1/55" but he has done this before and everytime he `s almost done he thinks up another great mod to add to his list :)

IMHO what we need at MW is a thread area dedicated to mods of the toylines and also some web page action too.

F, you are WAY too kind. However, I am honestly nowhere near the "Ultimate" despite my claims. LOL!!

There was a guy on here not too long ago that was buidling one with lights, flaps, ailerons, open chest intakes, Yamato-style tail fins, etc.. Now THAT would have been the ultimate.

I would like to think that I am good at coming up with stuff the "Average Joe" can do to make his 1/55 better. But at best I'm only a second tier customizer.

KidKorrupt, Fulcy, WmCheng, etc. are the Experten. I don't have the skill or patience to even come close to those guys.

But when it comes to "Mods for Dummies" then perhaps I occasionally stumble onto something. I simply enjoy BF and KN's contributions--am glad to be a member of the 1/55 Chunky Monkey Mafia!!!!!!!!!!!!

....So, If I had a couple of 1/55s that I wanted to improve, where would you fellas recommend I start with mods? Is there a 1/55 mod master-thread anywhere?

1) Sand the heck out of EVERYTHING.

2) Pick some easy mods. BigF mentioned most of them.

- Tapered Feet

- Tapered Swing Bars

- Swivel Thighs

- Pivoting and Stowable Wrists/Hands

- BigF/Zander-Style Mod for Gerwalk-Correct Shoulder Position

- Custom Decals from Devin (available through RoboGraphics) are a MUST HAVE as well

- Collapsing Gun Pod

That should get you well on the way.

Once you do that you can start adding all sorts of other stuff... Nose Blister Reposition, Magnets for Wing Ordnance, Custom Heads, Custom Canopies, Custom Cockpits, Paired Weapons, etc..

Thanks for the comments guys. The 'swivel-thigh' thread in Skull-1s sig is great. Lots of good info there. Pity that there is not a centralized list to keep track of all the great threads that have been posted on this subject... Maybe I'll spend some quality time and compile one myself.

You know I have Yammato Valks and they are great but I could never mod them or would risk a repaint, but the Chunkies they offer so much that you can or could do. they are far more robust than the Yammies and far far cheaper unles you go for Uber rare etc. even whwn the supply of bashed up Jetfires dries up we still got Cheap £5 bootlegs to mess with. When I finish my current mod (eventually) Im gonna mess with some Fastpack reconfigurations.

I like the idea of a combined thread or web page even if its not a t MW its better than nothing. I think the trouble is everyone here has moved on to Yammies and cant be bothered with the old stuff that they see as inferior. Sadly the toy guys are not usually interested in modding and the model guys who are usually highly skilled in the required areas are far to spoilt for choice by Hasegawa and co. Lucky for me I like both although I like models and Chunkies best.

You know I have Yammato Valks and they are great but I could never mod them or would risk a repaint, but the Chunkies they offer so much that you can or could do. they are far more robust than the Yammies and far far cheaper unles you go for Uber rare etc. even whwn the supply of bashed up Jetfires dries up we still got Cheap £5 bootlegs to mess with. When I finish my current mod (eventually) Im gonna mess with some Fastpack reconfigurations.

I like the idea of a combined thread or web page even if its not a t MW its better than nothing. I think the trouble is everyone here has moved on to Yammies and cant be bothered with the old stuff that they see as inferior. Sadly the toy guys are not usually interested in modding and the model guys who are usually highly skilled in the required areas are far to spoilt for choice by Hasegawa and co. Lucky for me I like both although I like models and Chunkies best.

Yeah, Im poor so thats definitely a factor when looking at which valkyrie line to collect. Yamatos are very cool valks if you plan on keeping them boxed or displayed loose untouched.But, as big F said, bandais are much more robust and wayyyyy cheaper. And, I also wouldnt modify a yammie unless I had a ton of money. ( I only could afford 1 1/60 valk). having bootlegs around is a HUGE plus. I cannot stress how handy those things are.

for example, a longgggg time ago, Kingnor made a fully ball jointed super articulated bootleg 1/55. I gave his design a try, and incorporated my own modifications and those of others. It was a compelte sucess, so I decided to turn it into a high quality custom.

before:

DSCN0508.jpg

after: (still havent finished the black details on the chest plate)

DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0527.jpg

It includes every modification we have come up with so far, except for the tapered swingbar and swivel thighs. (soon to be added, I cant find my saw)

and of course, my scratch built head with an integrated ball joint.

phew! glad thats almost done.

But when it comes to "Mods for Dummies" then perhaps I occasionally stumble onto something. I simply enjoy BF and KN's contributions--am glad to be a member of the 1/55 Chunky Monkey Mafia!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to mention Zanderw. Not sure how I omitted him! :)

Well, here's a preliminary list of interesting 1/55 topics and links I've found thus far:

Tools & Basic Supplies:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...1&hl=custom

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...3&hl=custom

Specific Mods:

Thigh-Swivel Mod - Skull-1

Thigh-Swivel Mod - BigF

Nose Blister Mod

Examples

BigF Custom Chunkie

Jasonc VT-1

KidKorrupt's Homepage

KidKorrupt's Portfolio

Jung's Homepage

Skull-1 VT-1

Skull-1 1J "Harriska"

I'm interested in compiling more of the 'how-to' type articles; if any one knows of any, please post them ^_^

• 3 years later...