• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

#1 Blackaces

Blackaces

New Edwards Test Pilot

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:43 AM

From Toynami/PopBox Collectibles, this is the 1/6 scale Max Jenius (Blue Uniform) production sample as well as the Pilot Flight Suit Hikaru (pending approval) to be released 2nd & 3rd (early) Qtr 2007 respectively.

Max features an improved head & hair sculpt (anime likeness) as well as improved sculpts to hands which now includes 2 fisted hands, 2 relaxed hands and 1 salute right hand. Also improved wrist watch design.
Comes with collector's Skull Emblem Patch & metal dogtag. (S.R.P. US$79.95)

Pilot Flight Suit Hikaru is a anime accurate rendition with "leather-feel" flight suit. Features ABS JetPack & removable Helmet. PVC shoulder, arms & leg 'armor'. Gloved "Nomex feel" hand sculpts which includes 2 fisted, right and left hands which can hold the helmet and 1 salute right hand. Flexible tubing attaches from front Chest Panel to back JetPack. 2 option heads. (S.R.P US$79.95)

Here are then pictures. Max 1st, then Pilot Flight Suit Hikaru.

Cheers.
Noel

Attached Files

Edited by Blackaces, 15 February 2007 - 07:58 AM.

#2 kensei

kensei

SMS Squadron Leader

• Members
  • 4,365 posts
  • Interests:Macross dude, Macross!

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:48 AM

Looking good. Still iffy about the glasses, but that is truly Max we're looking at there.

#3 Golden Arms

Golden Arms

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,252 posts
  • Interests:Macross
    Anime
    Comic books
    Mustang Fastbacks
    Old school Martial arts films

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:53 AM

Ditto on the glasses, but those both look pretty sharp. The flight suit turned out very good.

#4 Ignacio Ocamica

Ignacio Ocamica

SMS Squadron Leader

• Members
  • 3,633 posts
  • Interests:Macross Mospeada Surfing, listening to punk music, reading, drawing, working!!

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:04 AM

Looking really good!!

Will get Hikaru in his pilot flight suit smile.gif

#5 EXO

EXO

The Real Skull Focker

• 17,652 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:31 AM

you guys really did copy the Yamato 1:1 helmet...

#6 Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac

Kickin' Basara's Ass

• 6,786 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:36 AM

So, when is Max due out?

#7 dafunguy

dafunguy

Destroid Armour Waxer

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

Pilot Flight Suit looks great! I really like how the helmet looks. Hikkie head scrupt looks pretty accurate also. Good job!

#8 UN Spacy

UN Spacy

BOMBA!

• Members
  • 9,752 posts
  • Interests:Find out. Subscribe to my YouTube channel (pinoi78).

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

They're both looking VERY sharp.

No way I'll pass up on Flight Suit Hikaru.

#9 bigkid24

bigkid24

THE CHOPPER!!!

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

I dunno. $80 still feels like a lot of money for these things.

#10 takatoys

takatoys

Skull Leader's Lackey

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

I like the Hikaru pilot figure, the suit looks nice.
But, sad.gif I don't like the proportions of the figure. Because this is an anime figure, the body has to be compensated by the proportion of the face. Hikaru looks too short and the problem comes from his big head. I would fix this by enlarging the legs from the knees down a little bit and also making the hands a bit bigger.
Also the arm and leg armor should be bigger too.
I don't think they can make those changes I suggest, those 12 inch body figures are standard. At least you can have an idea of the difference it makes.
Anyhow, I will definitely buy Hikaru, Roy and Max in pilot suit.
IPB Image

Edited by takatoys, 12 February 2007 - 12:26 PM.

#11 Nightbat

Nightbat

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Me, me, me, me and I<br>why do you think I'm here at Macross World?

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(takatoys @ Feb 12 2007, 08:31 PM) View Post

IPB Image

In all honesty, his head still looks too big in your tweaked pic

#12 takatoys

takatoys

Skull Leader's Lackey

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Nightbat @ Feb 12 2007, 03:06 PM) View Post

In all honesty, his head still looks too big in your tweaked pic

I think you are right, but I don't think they can make a new smaller head sculpt.
I reduced the head and elongated the leg armor a bit. Now the figure looks perfect in my opinion.
IPB Image

#13 EXO

EXO

The Real Skull Focker

• 17,652 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

I gotta agree with Takatoys... hmmm. I might just finish my sculpt if this prototype version goes as is.

#14 Blackaces

Blackaces

New Edwards Test Pilot

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

Hi Guys,
the gloved hands on Pilot Flight Suit will be made bigger.

The current size follows that of the existing 1/6 Max figure. With gloves donned, the size will naturally increase and rightly so it will be to make the figure more proportional.

With regards to the other mention of the armor parts and head.

The idea is to provide a more anime feel in which the head is often slightly bigger. Also, Hikaru being asian his proportions are just about my size (him being taller just by centimeters), or rather most of us asians in his height range.

Looking hence, you will see that our measurements from knee to ankle is not exactly very long and having the leg armor bigger would theoretically not be possible.

Which is also why in cosplay, you never really see proportions you do in the anime.

Having said that, the adjustments to the leg armor's legth has yet to be ruled out although more thoughts need to be put into it. Making Hikaru in Pilot Suit taller will offset the size between Pilot Suit & Blue Uniform.

We are definitely aware of it and will see how we can most better this aspect in the final reckoning.

Noel

#15 takatoys

takatoys

Skull Leader's Lackey

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hmmm, I see what the aproach is.
This figure is part looking human and part anime looking. And that is what makes some fans a little confused.
An anime looking head on a human 1/6 scale body will always look weird. I was more inclined for the complete anime looking figure with long legs and different proportions that you only see it in the anime or books.
A great example of perfect anime looking action figures can be seen on the Medicom line of anime characters. Rei, Asuka, Lupin, Edward Elric action figures look so much like the anime because they have a scale anime body specially sculpted for each. I can't imagine a Rei face in a standard 1/6 human scale body. It would look as a cosplay figure and that is what you see on Hikaru.
But still, I like how the figure looks. Consider increasing the size of the arm and leg armor. That may improve the anime looking proportions.

Edited by takatoys, 12 February 2007 - 06:26 PM.

#16 recon

recon

Global's Pipe Holder

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

nice job Noel. However i do have to agree with Erick that anime heads do not really go well with 1/6 bodies as most of them have smaller heads. Nevertheless, it still an exceptional piece of work to design an articulated macross figure.

What i really would like to see are fixed posed 1/8 macross figurines..hopefully kotobukiya, goodsmile, alter would consider taking up the license for it.

#17 mister_e

mister_e

Global's Pipe Holder

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:34 PM

Looks good to me...for a man doll tongue.gif

#18 Blackaces

Blackaces

New Edwards Test Pilot

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the input.

We have definitely learnt a lot from our very 1st Hikaru Blue Uniform figure production, and are still learning.

Looking to put out the Pilot Flight Suit figure which every fan will want to have in their collection, with a quality production, accurate likeness as well as a fair price.

As mentioned, this Hikaru Pilot Flight Suit is a prototype developed from the earlier one shown at the Hong Kong Toys Expo 2006 and improvements will still be made before a final production sample.

Cheers, smile.gif
Noel

#19 VF-1James

VF-1James

Destroid Armour Waxer

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:anime, video games, and other things that girls dislike

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

I think the figures look great!

I agree with everyone's comments on the figures so far though. But nobody pointed out the straps- they are a tan color in the film, not white or gray.

#20 David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen

Powerless Mod

• 14,513 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes (especially airliners), trains, warships.

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:37 PM

Female figures would sell better IMHO. I'd take a well-done Milia. smile.gif TV-purple, please. (never did like the DYRL suit much)

#21 Graham

Graham

Sheryl's panties....yum!

• Admin
  • 12,971 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:12 AM

Noel,

Can we add these pics to the toy section of the main site?

Graham

#22 Blackaces

Blackaces

New Edwards Test Pilot

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(Graham @ Feb 13 2007, 03:18 AM) View Post

Noel,

Can we add these pics to the toy section of the main site?

Graham

Hi Graham,

not a problem smile.gif

Thank you

Noel

#23 Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac

Kickin' Basara's Ass

• 6,786 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:29 AM

Awesome, thanks Noel

I'll add them today.

#24 Retracting Head Ter Ter

Retracting Head Ter Ter

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:49 AM

I will buy the Milia if you guys get around to it! Anime body please!

#25 Roy Focker

Roy Focker

" Beauty of Moderating" - Gavil

• 3,686 posts
  • Interests:Hmm let me think...Macross....and um..Macross. Ooh let's not forget Macross. I'm also interested in beautiful super models modeling Macross related items. Let me see if there is anything else.. Did I mention Macross?

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:42 AM

Well after after studying them for a while.

Max looks good but glasses are still off.

Hikaru's pilot suit armor part are great but the jump suit is too ill-tailored and cheap looking. Like a ken doll in a barbie space suit. Not some high-end doll.

#26 kensei

kensei

SMS Squadron Leader

• Members
  • 4,365 posts
  • Interests:Macross dude, Macross!

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:00 AM

i don't think that the head size is that bad. It's the hairstyle. That's the tihng that makes his head look the worse. Blame Mikimoto. tongue.gif

#27 Apollo Leader

Apollo Leader

New Edwards Test Pilot

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  • Interests:Macross, Gundam, Military Aviation, Rocketry, Video Games

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for the pictures, Noel! Can't wait to see the final products. smile.gif

#28 hirohawa

hirohawa

Global's Pipe Holder

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:49 AM

Looks great! I do agree that Hikaru looks better taller with bigger hands - but the head looks spot on. Helmet looks great also. Definitely adding these to the collection

#29 takatoys

takatoys

Skull Leader's Lackey

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

I do agree that the face and hair look spot on. But I want to insist on redesigning the body. I don't want this figure to look like a man dressed as a macross pilot with a Hikaru mask. I want a figure that looks just like Hikaru in the anime. I think most of us like that aproach. Noel, if you can still make drastic changes on the body, reducing the head a bit, elongating the legs and making the arm and leg armor bigger then you will have a perfect Hikaru pilot figure. I agree that it won't go with the already released Hikaru uniform figure, but the pilot figures can go on a different scale.
I found an excellent comparison of how these changes were applied on the Seiya cloth myth figure which looks just like Hikaru.
IPB Image

#30 Nightbat

Nightbat

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Me, me, me, me and I<br>why do you think I'm here at Macross World?

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

If you see the DYRL characterdesigns (which is a more 'real life' design)
you'll notice Hikaru's face being more 'slender' but stiill with a pretty big 'fro

#31 VF-1James

VF-1James

Destroid Armour Waxer

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:anime, video games, and other things that girls dislike

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

I was pondering that if you were going to shrink the heads of future figures, it would be a problem for the earlier releases of the blue-uniformed versions. But then I got to thinking... All you'd have to do is take the uniform off of the previous figure blue-uniform figure, and put it on the flight suit body that has the smaller head. The problem would be easily solved then.

Certainly if TV figures are made, the heads will have to be drastically reduced in size, because the heads aren't really that big in the TV line art. The movie has a different style, and the characters look shorter with larger heads.

Plus, you could always come out with smaller heads that are sold seperately, that can be interchanged with the figures (since the heads will be removable on the flight suit versions). That way, you could have them all in scale with each other, but then you could also please the fans that want the heads to be smaller. Just an idea, since you're doing accessory packs.

Ahem, and speaking of accessory packs, it'd be frickin' sweet to have a bar table with several beer glasses as an accesory pack. Well, that'd never sell, but it'd sure be fun to have. laugh.gif

Anyway, it seems the overall point I'm trying to make is customizability (is that a real word?) in your figures. Some fans like the big heads, many want them small. Some fans would like more unique accessories, some would like more unique hands. Since you're stuck with that Toynami body, it's best to release a bunch of packs so that each person can customize the figure to his/her own specific tastes. I'd make my heads smaller, and I'd like some cooler hands. Oh yeah, and a new pair of glasses for Max.

#32 Blackaces

Blackaces

New Edwards Test Pilot

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:59 AM

Added the Suggested Retail Price (S.R.P) for the Hikaru Pilot Flight Suit figure in the 1st post.

Noel

#33 Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac

Kickin' Basara's Ass

• 6,786 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:13 AM

Noel,
Can you tell us the projected release dates for Max and Hikaru so I can update the front end of the site?

Thanks!

#34 Blackaces

Blackaces

New Edwards Test Pilot

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE(Mechamaniac @ Feb 15 2007, 10:19 AM) View Post

Noel,
Can you tell us the projected release dates for Max and Hikaru so I can update the front end of the site?

Thanks!

Max - end April'07

Hikaru - Jun'07

Noel

#35 Duymon

Duymon

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

would you happen to have any pics of the latest Flightsuit Hikaru Prototype wearing his helmet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users