What district to stay in, in Tokyo

jwinges

Hey everybody,

We're finalizing the plans for out trip to Japan and we're having trouble trying to decide what district to stay in within tokyo.

Basically we're looking for a good place to base ourselves. We're both 30 and would like to see some of the nightlife but we're not exactly going to go clubbing either.

So far we're thinking one of the following:

Akihabara area

Roppongi

Shibuya

Any suggestions of districts and/or nice but not too expensive hotels/ryokens is more than welcome.

Thanks

I don't have any hotel advice in those areas specifically, but I visited each of them a few months ago when I went to Tokyo. I stayed at the Akasaka Excel hotel (Akasaka district) with my brother and sister, they had fairly nice amenities, decent rates and an english speaking concierge that provided local maps in english (Photo-copies). It was a short subway ride to Akihabara/Ginza (You can walk from Ginza to Akihabara if you want total shopping overload. there were a ton of restaurants and fast food around there, although finding restaurants in Tokyo isn't a problem.

When I plotted my trip, I aimed for a central location to branch out from. Basically, I wouldn't worry a great deal about you exact hotel location if you are just exploring, their subway system is really efficient (But watch out for the transfers between the Tokyo Metro and the other subway line.

One kinda off the wall location I would recommend, just to see it, outside the Japan Rail station at Ginza, there is an underground shopping center that probably covers a square mile, hundreds and hundreds of shops and restaurants, we had a great lunch down there and explored a while before navigating the JR system.

If you like Anime/Japanese toys/Electronics, wow Akihabara is total overload, the 5 to 8 story video arcades blew my mind. Be careful of the "No Photo" signs, I innocently tried to snap a picture of a Gundam video/card game I had never seen for a friend and they threw me out of the joint.

If you like Airsoft, look for the ABC Aso Bit City store nearest to the Akihabara JR station, the top two floors are Airsoft sales, it is so awesome, and the very top floor has an airsoft range and I think small skirmish area (I couldn't go in there, we just saw the entrance and the guys coming out with used targets.

I can't wait to go back.

If you like Anime/Japanese toys/Electronics, wow Akihabara is total overload, the 5 to 8 story video arcades blew my mind. Be careful of the "No Photo" signs, I innocently tried to snap a picture of a Gundam video/card game I had never seen for a friend and they threw me out of the joint.

You mean this? :lol:

Apparently all these card game machines are connected to the internet and you can play battles with people all over Japan.

IPB Image

IPB Image

And here's the Soccer version

IPB Image

And the half life arcade game. :o

IPB Image

Thankfully i wasn't thrown out and managed to steal the shots. :lol: But yeah japan is rather annoying that everyone is sensitive about photos being taken....not exactly a good thing for us tourists. But being the shameless gaijin that I am (ok I lie....i was very scared to take photos but when no one was looking, i'll take photos) I took quite a number of shots in toy shops that clearly state in English "No photos allowed" with an accompanying graphic for the english and japanese challenged.

As about what district to stay, if you're not in a budget, i wouldn't be too concerned as Tokyo's train system is well connected and efficient. For a poor person like me, I had to rely on budget hotels which were cheaper than the usual hotels but still kinda expensive IMHO. I stayed here for a night.

http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp/

The place that its located, Kanda / Ochanomizu IIRC , seems to be the city where R.O.D OVA took place. I can't confirm it but it sure as hell looks like it. There's dozens of old book stores there and the street intersection looks like scenes from R.O.D.

Edited by wolfx

Always ask before taking a picture. It is against the law to take people's pictures without consent (here in Japan.)

Re: places to stay/eat/shop

The general rule of thumb is that the more convenient/closer to a train station a hotel/restuarant/shop is, the more expensive it will be.

The three places listed are going to be mighty expensive. It'll be cheaper to get a hotel somewhere else, and take the train to where you want to go to. Depending on how far you are from the city center, you could also use JR, or one of the many private rail lines. In general, the private rail lines are cheaper then JR. Rail lines are also faster than subways, as they offer express services that don't stop at every station. Even within Tokyo, one could always take the JR Yamatone line from Akihabara to Shinjuku and Shibuya.

I stayed at a nice business hotel in Shinbashi. Though, it was on the weekend, so I'm not sure of the availability during the workweek, and if the price increases dramatically or not.

To be honest, I'm not even sure if Akihabara and Shibuya have hotels - as they are commerce/business areas. Roppongi - limited to love hotels and capsule hotels, if you ask me; but as I'm a local of Osaka, my knowledge of Tokyo is limited. If you're willing to risk the embarrassment, staying at a love hotel may prove to be a cheap alternative - though don't expect much in the way of services, and don't expect the usual hotel experience (check out every day, etc..)

And it cannot be stressed enough that the more convenient a place is, the more expensive it'll be.

If i'm not mistaken, a love hotel has 2 rates. One for "resting" and one for "staying" overnight, which is of course abit more expensive than the "resting" rate.

And yes i need to improve my japanese and courage to ask for photo permission. :p

Even cosplayers will not entertain you if you don't ask 1s. Makes you look like a stalker.

Hey,

I went to Tokyo in June and stayed in Minami Senju, because there's a cheap-ass hotel there where my borther-in-law has friends. Tokyo's rail system is so good that we were able to go anywhere in Tokyo without any trouble. So, my point is, it really doesn't matter where you stay in Tokyo because it's so easy to get around.

As for anime shopping, definitely check the upper floors of out Nakano Broadway (in Nakano). The place has floors of old comics, robot toys, models, and other anime goodness. Mandarake has a bunch of different specialty stores there. Then hit the bottom floor for some really good udon noodles (it's like a department store, and around the middle is a small food court).

As for anime shopping, definitely check the upper floors of out Nakano Broadway (in Nakano). The place has floors of old comics, robot toys, models, and other anime goodness. Mandarake has a bunch of different specialty stores there. Then hit the bottom floor for some really good udon noodles (it's like a department store, and around the middle is a small food court).

Yeah what he said. I happen to have photos of Nakano. ;) Saw an elintseeker and orgusses....but too pricey for my tastes. :(

Shameless picture taking ->

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v681/wolfiex/JapanTrip/

IPB Image

Edited by wolfx

The last two times I went to Tokyo I stayed in the Hotel Villa Fontaine in Shiodome. Their rates are pretty good (I paid around US$90-100 a night) and the rooms are a decent size.

Shiodome has easy access to Akihabara and Ginza, as well as Odaiba. The closest station of the Yamanote Line is about a 5-minute walk from Shidome Shio-site, where the Villa Fontaine is located.

There are a few other locations for the Hotel Villa Fontaine besides Shiodome.

http://www.villa-fontaine.co.jp/eng/

As danth and wlfx mentioned, the Broadway Building in Nakano is a pretty good place for anme, manga, and video game merchandise. I have to admit that I am a bit biased toward the Broadway Building because a friend of mine and her husband happen to own one of the stores there. :D

Basically, anywhere close to the Yamanote loop line is good - you can get to most major transport hubs such as Tokyo station, Ueno, Ikebukuro etc on that line.

I've stayed in Ueno most of the times I've been in Japan - several times in a ryokan (guesthouse) and one time in a budget hotel that was a short walk across from Ueno station. The ryokan was a bit of a walk from the station, but one soon gets used to the route. It was also a shorter distance away from a subway station (note that the Japanese subway network - marked with the "metro" name last time I was there - is not the same system as the above ground railway network; this can cause confusion in examples like Akihabara, where there is a Yamanote line station and a subway station there with the same names).

You will get good directions and helpful pictures to your hotel! It is the law in Tokyo! :)

Thankfully i wasn't thrown out and managed to steal the shots. But yeah japan is rather annoying that everyone is sensitive about photos being taken....not exactly a good thing for us tourists.

Wait taking photos is bad in Japan? I spent 5 years of my childhood next to Disneyland. There sure were a lot of Japanese tourist with cameras. Even when I went last year there were some. Now you guys are telling me if you decide to visit them with your camera they will throw you out? Talk about a double standard :lol:

Wolfx thats my favorite place in the world..i want to live in nakano i think its a nice suburb ..either that or mitaka. I always stay in Ikebukuro, i dont like to "go as a tourist" when i go anywhere and thats a pretty good place to stay.

As for picture taking , sorry guys i have never ever had a problem. Sure i was politely asked to not take a picture at an arcade once and i complied, i understand they are just following rules.

I love when i went to mandarake and one of the guys who used to work in mandarake LA ( sadly went out of business 4 years ago) remembered me and was blown away i was there.

My last trip in may 06 i also ran into a friend from highschool, turned out he lived and worked there as an engineer. We went to a bar and watched a football game , italy vs checks i think in the world cup. It was fun to watch him get all the nihonjin in the bar to yell out ZAKANAYO CHECK REPUBLIC.

heres some of my favorite places in Tokyo

IPB Image

some street musicians i met in ikebukuro station

IPB Image

mandarake pre opening

This one is huge from my last trip with my new camera so ill link it instead , Arcades alive and well in Japan

Wolfx thats my favorite place in the world..i want to live in nakano i think its a nice suburb ..either that or mitaka. I always stay in Ikebukuro, i dont like to "go as a tourist" when i go anywhere and thats a pretty good place to stay.

Mitaka is my choice if I was ever lucky enough to get to live in Japan! I fell in love with that area whe I visited the Ghibli museum this past March.

I love when i went to mandarake and one of the guys who used to work in mandarake LA ( sadly went out of business 4 years ago) remembered me and was blown away i was there.

There was mandarake in the US?

0.o

Roppongi and Shibuya are pretty far from Akihabara (30 minutes by train)

I'd pick someplace near Shinjuku, since it's a reasonable distance between all three, and is basically the heart of Tokyo.

Also, it cost me 4000 yen to ship a box full of manga half the size of a suitcase to the US... kind of expensive...

Edited by Raptor

Thanks guys. This is a big help. We're really pumped about going. Too bad I don't have more cash to spend in Akihabara.

BTW how are the postal centers there? I was thinking if I bought anything big I'd just ship it back to the U.S.

Theres a post office in Kanda, near Akihabara - you should be able to find it on any good Tokyo atlas - just in case you get carried away with the life-size Chii statues and the like. :) Theres also one down the side of the "OIOI" (Marui) department store in Ueno, and many, many others scattered around. I'm not sure how many do international shipping but I've been in some pretty small ones that do.

Finding boxes can be a pain; Japanese post offices can sell them to you and a convienence store can do scissors and tape, or try one of the "hundred yen" or "three coin" discount shops. Communicating what you want can be a problem but its been my experience the words "SAL" and "EMS" are generally understood (its really code for "your wallet is about to weep...!" :) )

One thing to be aware of is that everything you buy in Japan is packaged to death. Its not just the boxes, its the bags and tape they seal them up in. This can cause a small mountain of packaging in a very short time...!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Was the box sent air or surface? Surface mail is the far cheaper option, but one will still have to wait about 30 days or longer. And yes - heavy stuff costs more.

Japan is also undergoing an interesting phenomenon at the moment - the Koizumi government privatized Japan Post, and there is currently at least one company starting to directly compete with Japan Post in mail delivery. The company - Yamato Transport. It was originally a courier company, and I know that it had offices and delivery trucks in Vancouver and Victoria. You may want to find out if they offer comparible, or better rates.

Remember to also write your information (sender, receiver, etc.) in BLOCK LETTERS, as despite many people in Japan knowing English, English, and its associated alphabet are not as well known as the three Japanese alphabets; and I have had mail sent to me with the address written in English, being returned to sender. Usually writing the country in BLOCK LETTERS will suffice (and that's the correct name of the country, not the common. Eg. Republic of Korea, not South Korea.)

Don't forget to write 'Air Mail' on the package, lest you pay for it, and someone else in the shipping process puts it into the surface mail bin...

And I'm surprised that no one has given any links for transit options in Tokyo. KNOW THEM, they are your friend:

http://ktransit.com/transit/Japan/tokyo.htm

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/200...Tokyo%20Transit

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=ja&q=tr...tation+in+tokyo

Handy googlemap (zoom out to see the extent of the city):

http://www.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=...p;tab=wl&q=

Do what i do, take your two carry ons ...in your carry on suitcase pack your weeks worth of clothes. If your a good packer you can make it happen. In yoru second carry on ( a small bookbag or whatever) carry all your travel items and your dontgetboredashellona10hourflight items.

Then check in two huge ass suitcases EMPTY. Most airlines allow two check ins up to 70 pounds combined free. You can pick up a huge ass suitcase at Big Lots for cheap ( 20-30 bucks or so ) or a store like it. You can even make things easier by placing smaller in larger bag for departure check in. PS if yoru traveling with someone and they arent brining check in luggage or just one make sure to utilize that also. Last time i went i traveled with a friend who only brought one check in on so i used used his secondary bag slot for my own muahaha.

With all that said i still ran out of room quickly , and if yoru like me and do not like to toss out packaging etc...you will too. Especially after you start winning at the UFO machines and amass multitudes of stuffed characters , i will post a picture later.

Yes there was once a Mandarake in Torrance california when i first moved here i would visit it weekly. It was small compared to the ones in nakano and shibuya. It was however just as cool..there would be random piles of stuff scattered all around and thousands of cells from obsure shows for a buck a pop. It was like an ancient treasure trove of j-pop culture goodness. Sadly they tried to relocate to Santa Monica to a smaller place and quickly ran out of business because only the modern anime nerd set started going and it wasnt enough to keep sales. Torrance is a very japanese area in cali and it was located in the Mitsuwa there , they did great business and it just a very bad move to relocate from there.

Even though i prefer the Nakano area and broadway , i still recomend at least taking a trip to the shibuya one. Its not as extensive but its 4-5 stories underground and its like a freaking dank cave , pretty awesome i think.

I also fell in love with mitaka after visiting Ghibli , it was a nice rainy day and i loved the wooded area all around it, ill post some pictures of that later too.

damn you guys have me pining now...maybe ill go again this spring. I want to visit ireland too...so many places to go so little time and money.

Edited by SpacePirateNeko

Couple of "kinda-obvious-things-to-do-in-Tokyo-but-you-sort-of-forget-when-you're-there" suggestions if you somehow find yourself with a bit of time to spare.

Go to a movie. Yes, they can be expensive, and yes, you can forget about subtitles. But Studio Ghibli film programmes make great presents and where else can you see Zeta Gundam: the movie on a proper big screen?

Of course, finding something you want to see is partly a matter of timing and luck; the English language newspaper Japan Times has cinema listings in it I think on Fridays.

Go to a football match - if you regularly wear Manchester United red or Chelsea blue - or a baseball game, if you regularly wear Yankees or Red Sox shirts. Although "big-team" games can be difficult to get tickets for, lesser teams or games in the middle of the season you should be able to get tickets for at the gate. There are various J-sport websites that can give you an idea of schedules and how to find the stadiums.

Go to a movie. Yes, they can be expensive, and yes, you can forget about subtitles. But Studio Ghibli film programmes make great presents and where else can you see Zeta Gundam: the movie on a proper big screen?

So true! In fact, when I went last March, I did just that and happened to catch the third Zeta Gundam movie.

God, how I miss the Torrance Mandarake! :(

That was the only walk-in shop I knew of in southern California that sold doujinshi.

addition: Oh but winter comic market just finished, all the left-overs should be in the different Mandarake and Toranoana shops! :)

Edited by Sumdumgai

But how do you get around with that mass of suit baggage? We were reading that there's nowhere to put your bags on the trains and that the stairways and hotels don't have room for massive bags.

Also when you ride the bullet trains do they have cabins and places to sit or are they like the other railways where you have to stand? I'm getting mixed reports from some of the materials I read.

But how do you get around with that mass of suit baggage? We were reading that there's nowhere to put your bags on the trains and that the stairways and hotels don't have room for massive bags.

If you're talking about getting from the airport to the hotel, the easiest way to go is via Limousine Bus. The bus takes you to most major hotels and it's not too expensive.

Also when you ride the bullet trains do they have cabins and places to sit or are they like the other railways where you have to stand? I'm getting mixed reports from some of the materials I read.

The bullet trains have seating just like an airplane cabin, so there is no need for standing.

Most trains have an overhead rack in which you can put big stuff. It is also highly advised to NOT travel during rush hour - both when arriving/leaving, AND during daily travelling. Space is at a premium and it may be well beyond your comfort limits.

Limousine Bus service is another option, as mentioned.

Leaving your baggage in your hotel suite should be ok - though yes, what little space is available will be eaten up by them. It all depends on the type of hotel that you stay at. Some do offer large rooms - you just have to pay more for them. ;)

Shinkansen (Bullet) Trains have both reserved, and unreserved seats. Unreserved is basically first-come, first-served. During this most recent holiday rush, some news shows were reporting that some of the Shinkansen trips were reporting between 150 and 200% capacity. Another reminder of why you don't want to be traveling during rush hour or one of the major holidays here in Japan...

About hauling baggage around....not sure what your plans are. If you are gonna stick to just one hotel throughout your trip, no worries. Just unload your stuff there at the end of the day. But if you'll be constantly shifting around carrying stuff you bought, then its gonna be a hassle. On the 1s day i arrived on Japan, we came straight from Narita to Tokyo to immediately do some sightseeing and shopping. (Got my VF-17S on my 1s day for cheap. Lucky!) Lugging your luggage around tokyo isn't very fun i can assure you that. I can't fathom how i did it that day now that i think about it, but must be my otaku energy urging me on. :lol:

Some major train stations have lockers which you put about 200 yen in to lock it. They have the standard sized small ones as well as the bigger ones which are equivalent to 2 of the smaller ones, but in my experience, the big ones are very limited and are always occupied....and they just aren't big enough for my luggage that I brought with me.

And as for going back to the airport with all the hauling you made, no worries. Take the Narita Express which goes straight to Narita airport from the city center (forgot which station). They have a luggage area near the train exits so all your bulky stuff can go there. Otherwise you can just put it on the seat beside you cause the Narita Express is not as crowded and full of people as the normal city-wide trains. They're more spacious too.

I was just there and have some suggestions...

Take the Limobus. Super easy, especially when dealing with big bags.

Stay at a hotel that the Limobus stops at and picks up from. Again, this makes it incredibly easy when dealing with big bags.

Bring extra suitcases, or buy big ones in Tokyo. Makes sure they are strong on as many sides as possible.

When packing your items, what helped me out what putting another sturdy cardboard box within your large suitcase for extra protection. Mandarake will even sell you one of theirs for like $2 for a strong, nice sized one that you can cut down and tape up.

Good luck! :)

Edited by dr_vandermeer

"Rincewind, the more experienced traveller, took nothing." :)

The biggest problems you'll encounter with luggage in Japan are when in transit from place to place. Whilst the various transport services to and from the airports usually have fair-szied luggage spaces, you might want to note that some Japanese rail termini are huge and can be a struggle to get round with a large amount of luggage. Also, many local services have only limited space for luggage. The bullet trains do have overhead luggage racks, but bear in mind you have to lift your bags into them.

In other words - pack light if possible. :)

A little planning can help. Moving between cities and got a load of anime goods to carry? Post it home before you move. Yes, it can be expensive, but it can be worth it. Many larger Japanese stations have left luggage offices where luggage can be stored for a small fee for a few hours. Consider buying certain items when you arrive, instead of bringing them with you. You are unlikely to be far from a supply of batteries in Tokyo, for example. You can buy extra bags, Akihabara has several shops where you can get hold-alls and cases that are likely to be suitable.

Some smaller accomodation buildings can also be a struggle to get into with luggage - I've stayed at a ryokan in Tokyo that had a set of narrow steps leading up to the front door; tricky to get a large suitcase up. I've also stayed in a ryokan in Osaka that I swear had a internal stairway that was set at 90 degrees to the vertical.

Oh, also check with your place of residence about check-in times. I once had to wait, rather jet-lagged, for four hours in Kyoto station, before I could check in. Luckily, the hotel did look after my bags for t

hat time.

However, if you're staying at a reasonably large hotel, the main problem will just be getting from teh airport to the hotel, and for a one-off transit that shouldn't be overly bad. You might want to take note of how few large bags you tend to see Japanese carrying...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

"Rincewind, the more experienced traveller, took nothing." :)

The biggest problems you'll encounter with luggage in Japan are when in transit from place to place. Whilst the various transport services to and from the airports usually have fair-sized luggage spaces, you might want to note that some Japanese rail termini are huge and can be a struggle to get round with a large amount of luggage. Also, many local services have only limited space for luggage. The bullet trains do have overhead luggage racks, but bear in mind you have to lift your bags into them.

In other words - pack light if possible. :)

As far as trains go: if making longer distance journeys, its best to book seats if possible. Its been my experience most JR at larger stations will know enough English to let you get by. If you have a JR pass, reservations are free. On many local services, such as the Yamanote loop line, you should perhaps regard standing as the normal state of affairs and getting a seat as a bonus. In general, you're rarely likely to be on such a service for more than an hour at the very most. Do be aware that you may do a lot more walking than you might be used to. Up stairs, down stairs, along corridors, etc.

A little planning can help. Moving between cities and got a load of anime goods to carry? Post it home before you move. Yes, it can be expensive, but it can be worth it. Many larger Japanese stations have left luggage offices where luggage can be stored for a small fee for a few hours. Consider buying certain items when you arrive, instead of bringing them with you. You are unlikely to be far from a supply of batteries in Tokyo, for example. You can buy extra bags, Akihabara has several shops where you can get hold-alls and cases that are likely to be suitable.

Some smaller accomodation buildings can also be a struggle to get into with luggage - I've stayed at a ryokan in Tokyo that had a set of narrow steps leading up to the front door; tricky to get a large suitcase up. I've also stayed in a ryokan in Osaka that I swear had a internal stairway that was set at 90 degrees to the vertical.

Oh, also check with your place of residence about check-in times. I once had to wait, rather jet-lagged, for four hours in Kyoto station, before I could check in. Luckily, the hotel did look after my bags for that time.

However, if you're staying at a reasonably large hotel, the main problem will just be getting from the airport to the hotel, and for a one-off transit that shouldn't be overly bad. You might want to take note of how few large bags you tend to see Japanese carrying...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Don't forget, manga and books are kind of heavy, so they tend to weigh quite a bit much even in small quantities.

true... it was like 40 volumes, plus another 30 or so in my suitcase :)

The average price was about 150 yen for each.

Edited by Raptor